Surgeries anybody???

Of course i am in a boot right now with a broken Sesmoid bone in my right foot, if it does not heal, they will cut it out

Oh geez I don’t remember years. Gastric Bypass around 2013 ish, scoped knee for torn meniscus a few years ago. Sinus surgery about 2 years ago. Knee and Gastric bypass before I started playing. No issues there. Sinuses are now clear and I can breathe so that actually was a huge benefit.

Latest is current Left ACL reconstruction and 40% meniscus removal recovery/rehab.

Pole Vaulting for 8 years is now taking its toll everywhere. Football and car wrecks haven't helped either. Theragun Mini...all bearable now👍

When I was 3/4 I had a couple reconstructive surgeries on my mouth and tongue. Since then, a cyst removed from my left wrist, compartment syndrome surgeries following a brown recluse bite, and a kidney stone removal 2 months ago.

A couple things, a question then a confession:
Question: Could you elaborate a little more on your spider bite? Did it hurt when it bite you, or just after? I hear the venom cause problems sometimes a couple year after the bite.
Confession: I had open heart surgery back in 1987 to repair a aortic aneurysm that also destroyed the aortic valve. So now, some 34 years later(this Dec 9) my mechanical valve is still ticking, in fact I hear it all the time, even standing over a putt. It was a miracle surgery, as the doctors said if I waited any longer, even an hour or two, I wouldn't have made it.

Partial right shoulder replacement 2017, I am lefty so it is my lead arm. Cut my humerus about 3 inches from the elbow and replaced all the way up to the shoulder joint with a titanium rod. 11 months of rehab. I can only swing to about 3/4 but it has actually helped me to control my wild swing.
Right knee surgery doesn’t affect me too much anymore, it did post surgery for about a year and a half.

I feel like the bionic man at times haha.
52 years old.

Tore ligament off my ankle in 2006, had to get it reattached.

Ruptured bicep tendon in 2012 had surgery to reattach it.

Had sinus surgery December 2019.

Had Nissen Fundilication (hiatel hernia surgery) February 2020. Doctor Knicked an artery so started internally bleeding and had to get my stomach cut in half to repair artery.
Don’t worry @Jman I will not post pictures haha

2007 - Tibial Plateau Fracture left leg- 2 plates 8 screws
2010 - Fractured ankle right leg - 2 plates 5 screws
2020 - eye surgery
Thankfully they really don't have an impact on my game with the exception of my right ankle posterior tibial tendon. If I brace it and a it's not CPO I just ice it afterwards.

My age - old enough to know better and young enough to do it again.

Appendectomy at age 20 and medial meniscus tear on my left knee repaired at age 41.

I'm 59 now and no issues with the knee. Just normal aches and pains from getting old.

Too many to count first knee surgery in 1984 and have had something like 12 on my knees... throw in 2 neck surgeries, wrist surgery and I’m a broken mess

In 93 I broke my left wrist via a Smiths fracture...had steel plate installed and lost 15mph swing speed. Played entire year following surgery with just one arm.

Meniscus about 5 years ago. Broken hand. Appendix burst.

Appendix was the worst. My daughter was 1 and I came really close to dying twice. Just a terrible experience obivously.

Cancer surgery in 2013 at age 30

10+ hour surgery where they took out half my tongue and partial neck dissection. Margins were 100% clean and all lymph nodes were negative. They Frankenstein’ed my tongue back together with tissue from my wrist and vascular tissue from my forearm. The scars are friggin gnarly - I’ll spare you the pics ;)

followed it up with 30 days of radiation to my head where it was literally bolted to the table of the machine for ~45 minutes/treatment.

The physical toll was rough - couldn’t taste or eat/swallow and had to feed myself via a feeding tube. The mental part was worse. I wanted to throw in the towel on more than one occasion. don’t be afraid to talk to someone. No shame in seeking help if you’re going through some dark times.

all good today, just annual check ups.
Never chewed, smoked, or drank heavily. Just got dealt a **** hand in life. Turned it into a positive though. Have raised over $60k for cancer research since. Not a ton but not bad for a small one man shop.

So it’s not all bad.

A couple things, a question then a confession:
Question: Could you elaborate a little more on your spider bite? Did it hurt when it bite you, or just after? I hear the venom cause problems sometimes a couple year after the bite.
Confession: I had open heart surgery back in 1987 to repair a aortic aneurysm that also destroyed the aortic valve. So now, some 34 years later(this Dec 9) my mechanical valve is still ticking, in fact I hear it all the time, even standing over a putt. It was a miracle surgery, as the doctors said if I waited any longer, even an hour or two, I wouldn't have made it.
No, it didn’t hurt. Felt like my hand just went to sleep. Most people wait days/weeks before going to the doctor. The bite just gets worse and infected. The venom deteriorates the flesh. I was “lucky” and had walking pneumonia at the time, so I got violently ill quickly.
F4A80669-095E-47F6-A394-E8A7D950A0E9.png86780D09-B929-4BEE-845B-588608A20177.pngE95C26FE-B7AF-4889-A6FE-0F324D3714E4.png

I wasn’t playing golf then but 2007 removed cartilage from my right knee. Old cowboy issue, apparently having horses fall on you, dragging across panels & then jumping off of said horses is tough on the knees. Who knew?
It bothered me long enough that I’m used to it, doesn’t really cause issues but it does get touchy when I’m practicing a lot, especially when I try to drive that knee.

Broke my left ankle in 2017 and put me on the shelf for 7 months. This is my ankle today

9369BAC3-8BF8-47B2-BAF6-3A2BF3A4CB68.jpeg

Right achilles tendon 2008. No limitations.
Same for me, but back in '98.

Initial rehab sucked and it took a year for me to regain full confidence wrt other sports.

Lived up north then, snapped it late October so I had the whole offseason to rehab. Was just fine for golf come spring.

I've also had 9 herniated disks throughout the years but no surgeries. For now at least, not a candidate due to a degenerative condition.

I might win most recent! Had carpal tunnel release on Monday morning. It's pretty simple procedure and I just have a band aid on it now. I'll be able to swing a club within the week. had the same done last year to the other wrist.

the big ones were...

Clavicle surgery on my left shoulder 4 years ago.
Septoplasty nasal surgery 3 years ago
Hip replacement April of '19

Removal of Hook-of-Hamate bone in right hand in 1998, full knee replacement of right knee on March 2014 and full knee replacement of left knee in October 2014 - no lasting ill effects.

Perhaps surprisingly, the longest recovery in terms of getting back to totally normal was the hand surgery! It was probably six months before it no longer bothered me after removal of that bone due to weakness and numbness, but I was back to playing golf with zero impact in about 9 weeks after each knee replacement. The only reason it was that long was that my surgeon wouldn't give me the "OK" because of fear that I might fall slipping on wet grass or getting in or out of a bunker. I was actually at the range hitting balls in about six weeks.

I had the same in 2002.

Did you change your diet at all? I did afterwards... for some of the part... not going to say the most part because that's not true I eat healthy. It's healthier than it was... I just say it was 20 years of bad decisions. Damn near killed me is what it did.

Funny thing... I hit the gym 3 times weekly after leaving cardiac rehab for cardio... that stopped in Feb 2020 - thanks covid you suck- and my cholesterol wasn't bad but it wasn't getting worse. The other week I saw my cardiologist and he said my blood numbers were the best he'd ever seen from me... "keep doing what you're doing!" "I'm not doing anything." "Well... keep doing nothing!"

I do wanna get back to the gym.

Partial right shoulder replacement 2017, I am lefty so it is my lead arm. Cut my humerus about 3 inches from the elbow and replaced all the way up to the shoulder joint with a titanium rod. 11 months of rehab. I can only swing to about 3/4 but it has actually helped me to control my wild swing.
Right knee surgery doesn’t affect me too much anymore, it did post surgery for about a year and a half.

I understand the username, and seriously, that's hardcore changes to your swing.!:D:ROFLMAO: Just kidding. I hope you're not too limited in range of motion and pain.

Did you change your diet at all? I did afterwards... for some of the part... not going to say the most part because that's not true I eat healthy. It's healthier than it was... I just say it was 20 years of bad decisions. Damn near killed me is what it did.

Funny thing... I hit the gym 3 times weekly after leaving cardiac rehab for cardio... that stopped in Feb 2020 - thanks covid you suck- and my cholesterol wasn't bad but it wasn't getting worse. The other week I saw my cardiologist and he said my blood numbers were the best he'd ever seen from me... "keep doing what you're doing!" "I'm not doing anything." "Well... keep doing nothing!"

I do wanna get back to the gym.
Yes and no. Yes, initially. After the heart attack, I was scared sh**less. But, overtime, I became more lax, and began drinking a whole lot heavier than ai ever had (for a lot of reasons, none good), and hit a backslide. A scare in 07 helped me get sober. A couple of years later, I was at 360. In 3 years, I lost right at 100 pounds. I’ve been better about my diet and get some semi-sorta regular exercise.

My blood work is excellent, with some medicinal assistance. I want to drop 25 or 30, and exercise more to see if I can get off the meds. I’ll feel better when I get the weight off and get some exercise, even if I can’t leave the meds behind.

Here’s to a great 2021 for us!

I understand the username, and seriously, that's hardcore changes to your swing.!:D:ROFLMAO: Just kidding. I hope you're not too limited in range of motion and pain.
[/QUOTE]

Zero pain thankfully for the most part. Range of motion for the right arm is limited though. However living in the Northeast the cold and sometimes damp weather does get to the Athritic joints.

Right knee, almost all meniscus was shredded so it had to be removed. Pain but I am getting more and more active.

Right arm, pin in wrist from a break. 2 surgeries on forearm as I broke both the ulna and radius in half. My left arm is about an inch longer than my right now, and my right arm doesn’t have as much flexibility in twisting. Gave me a pretty wicked chicken wing early on in my swing.

Broke my left ankle in 2017 and put me on the shelf for 7 months. This is my ankle today

View attachment 8985821
At first I thought, How did he get a picture of my ankle. Then I looked a bit closer. I broke both bones, my foot just dangled when I lifted my leg. My plate and screws are on the big bone. Luckily when the surgeon pulled that one into place, the smaller one also resumed it's normal location. Did you have any other painful things happen during this time? While laying on the gurney in the emergency room a young (nurse in training) ran into that foot as it was hanging over the edge of the gurney. The whole thing happened just two days after I had back surgery for the third time.

3 surgeries at 53 years young. Two were optional and that was a vasectomy and septoplasty (which didn't work).

I also had surgery on my left shoulder due to an arthritic clavicle as well as bone spurs. They got into my shoulder and all they ever really said was that it was a lot worse than they thought. There could have been a tear as well.

Back