Take Your Medicine vs Hero Shot?

I take my medicine most of the time. But there are those occasions I try it.

depends on the shot needed......

also, whats a hero shot, whats taking your medicine haha. Hero shot to me is legit pulling off a low percentage shot to have a legitimate shot at birdie.... taking my medicine would be just a short pitch out sideways/not advancing.

Like @jdtox I will do everything I can to hit it as far forward towards the green as I can, but I don't consider that the hero shot even if it's semi threading a needle or shaping the ball.

It depends on what the hero shot is. But I am big in trying not to compound mistakes and strokes.

Depends on the situation. If I’m playing matchplay within my 4 ball, it will wholly depend on where my partner and opponents are. If I’m playing just to keep score, I’ll take the safe route.

Less than 160: HERO shot every time without exception
Over 160: take the medicine about 95% of the time

It all depends on the level of risk and how the round is going. Most of the time i take the safe route. If it's a casual/ fun round I'm a little more likely to try the hero shot unless it's too risky.

Completely depends what the shot is, if the hero shot is "launch it over this tree and get it on the green that's 100-150 out" I'll go for it. If it's "I have a gap between these trees to get it to the green or a safe punch out to a 120 approach" then I'm punching out. This is regardless of who I am playing with since I don't play in tourneys right now.

Usually I'm taking my medicine, unless I have a favorable circumstance that gives me a good chance to actually make the hero shot (like an unexpected alley in the trees or something).

depends on the shot needed......

also, whats a hero shot, whats taking your medicine haha. Hero shot to me is legit pulling off a low percentage shot to have a legitimate shot at birdie.... taking my medicine would be just a short pitch out sideways/not advancing.

Like @jdtox I will do everything I can to hit it as far forward towards the green as I can, but I don't consider that the hero shot even if it's semi threading a needle or shaping the ball.
Shaping the ball around a tree or object and actually pulling it off is WAY more fun than just punching the ball back into play for me.

Shaping the ball around a tree or object and actually pulling it off is WAY more fun than just punching the ball back into play for me.

Everytime ;)

Very much depends on the situation. If the hero shot has no major issues if it doesn't come off then I'm taking it every time, but otherwise I'm sucking it up. Is something I've consciously had to work on over the past couple of years, not following a bad shot with a stupid one. Although from time to time I'll try something absolutely outrageous, and for the most part it fails :LOL:

It often looks otherwise, but I go for the statistically smarter choice, whatever that is. Sending one through what looks like a tiny opening, or taking a drop, or over a huge tree, or punching out backwards, it's just what I've determined will most often result in the best score.

I refuse to take my medicine if I see ANY avenue that I might be able to get the ball closer to the hole
Do we need to have an intervention prior to the Morgan Cup ;)

I'll usually take my medicine. Its been some time, and I don't typically listen to Faldo, but one time I heard him say never try to follow up a bad shot with a great shot.

Of course, I'm also one of those guys who thinks, "Well, this is just an easy chip or a punch out, YOU DON'T EVEN NEED TO LOOK AT THE BALL WHEN YOU TRY TO HIT IT, YOU HOOPLEHEAD." Then I end up in a just as bad, or worse, predicament.

I depends a lot on the round I'm playing and the shot itself. If it's a stroke play tournament I am more likely to take my medicine. If it's the usually game I play then I'll probably play the hero shot unless I have a really good round going. It's usually pretty tough to win nets but birdies and skins pay.

The other factor is the shot and if it's one I'm comfortable playing. If it's a punch shot, either draw or cut, or it is a cut then I am more likely to go for it. If it's trying to get one up quick over a tree or hit a hard draw then I will be much less likely to go for it.

I ,like to follow Ye Olde Tyme Saying of "Never follow a bad shot with a dumb shot."

The mtcowdog approach was always the hero shot, direct lines, swing for everything. The GoldenBuff version is more conservative in shot choices (reference the boring golf goal) and usually takes his medicine and puts the ball back in play. GB also takes far more conservative lines and plays for position over wham bam. mtcowdog was more fun and adventurous, no doubt, but his course management was terrible. :cool:

I tend to play wreckless in those situations and go for the hero shot. If it's way too tough to pull off I'll play safe but that's not my go to. Evidently I'm a glutten for punishment.

I think it depends on how "hero" that shot is. If I need to be a professional or semi pro to have decent chance of pulling it off, I take my medicine. If it's a shot that I've hit often, I'll try it out

Depends on situation. If there is a shot then why not take it. If I have to straddle a cactus to hit a shot then I will take my medicine. Of course when the new copper clubs come I may be more inclined to not leave desert marks on them. :ROFLMAO:

I refuse to take my medicine if I see ANY avenue that I might be able to get the ball closer to the hole

This. If I can advance it without making it 100x worse, let's just do that

I used to be 100% play the safe shot but lately I've been channeling my old skateboarding and snowboarding mentality and I'm starting to branch out to the hero shot attempts a bit. Why? Because it's fun to see if you can pull off an insane shot and because I'm not playing for prize money or anything.

If I were in a tourney then I'd most likely be back to safe shots nearly all the time.

Back