Talking Shafts with Project X - The Golf Industry Uncut Volume 3

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
THP Radio is back with a bang in 2016 and today we continue with our new show called The Golf Industry Uncut. Tackling on demand audio for the world of golf like never before, THP Radio presents this unique look behind the doors of the equipment world through the experts.

The rules for Uncut are simple. There are no rules other than the guest must be accessible to readers/consumers to discuss the show post broadcast.

This monthly (or more often) broadcast is your chance to hear from those in the golf industry in a format that is completely raw and unedited. If there is an issue on the show, you will hear it. You will have the opportunity to submit questions for guests over the course of the year and even connect with them after the shows either here on the THP Forum or through social media and let them know your thoughts or ask follow up questions.

This Episode
Don Brown from True Temper & Project X joins the show
Made for OEM vs Aftermarket Shafts
Torque Talk
Shaft Creation & How Flex is Done
West Coast vs East Coast
Don Brown Enters The Hot Seat for Fire Away
And so much more

Join us by listening at the link below, or as always you can find us on iTunes at The Hackers Paradise.

http://www.thehackersparadise.com/the-golf-industry-uncut-volume-2-talking-shafts-with-project-x/

I'll be giving it a listen this evening!

Kind of cool that it shows up in my pod cast list.

Lstenimg to this now

Already a quarter of the way through it, and it's already crazy interesting. I'd never heard how torque was measured, and glad that was asked/answered. Like Nate mentioned, the launch characteristics are much more important.

Excellent episode very informative. Should put some discussions to rest.

Sent from the magic know everything box in my pocket

Already a quarter of the way through it, and it's already crazy interesting. I'd never heard how torque was measured, and glad that was asked/answered. Like Nate mentioned, the launch characteristics are much more important.

It'll get better for you.

Awesome information here. Okay, so torque doesn't matter, but if you like the feel of a 3.5 degree torque shaft does that translate across manufacturers? Do all companies measure torque with a 1 ft/lb moment?

That was funny.

Awesome information here. Okay, so torque doesn't matter, but if you like the feel of a 3.5 degree torque shaft does that translate across manufacturers? Do all companies measure torque with a 1 ft/lb moment?

Sadly there is no standardization in shaft measurements.

Hahahahahahahaha.

Well done Don, it was great to hear your take on the questions asked. Thanks for taking your time to do this!

Sent from the magic know everything box in my pocket

Good stuff JB! Love the fire away segment at the end! Don sounds like a guy that could wrap you up in some happy hour stories on any given night!

So was that a Mward shout out or a call out?

Keep these segments coming JB!

At lot manufacturers do use 1ft·lb but the beam length of the shaft, how much of the shaft is subjected to the torsional force, changes. I've measured shafts marketed at 2.2° that I measure at 4+

Very informative interview. Listening to DB is always fun and full of good info. Having him so accessible on the forum is a bonus.

Great listen! Just reaffirms how little I know about shafts but I'm learning!

Outstanding interview on uncut. I would like to spend a few hours with Don Brown. I'm sure I wouldn't waste any more money on the wrong shafts again. Extremely informative!

Ah, great shaft info and a Seinfeld guy also. That seals it for me, I was watching the soup nazi episode while I listened....but he never said when we can have those LZ steel shafts not even a teaser.

Whoda thunk it. Add torque to the list of things over analyzed by amateur golfers

Man I can't wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good stuff! That show went by a little quick for some reason.

MSI what does that stand for?

Hahaha Appreciate the call out Don. I didn't receive a Red Sox hat, because no one actually wants that.

That was an excellent interview all around. Really enjoyed that. One statement that jumped out to me was the fact there's no shaft that can increase your launch from a 9 to a 14, and give you 1700 spin. Should someone being fit for a driver then really focus more on the longest, most forgiving clubhead for them and then use the shaft to just basically fine tune?

Hahaha Appreciate the call out Don. I didn't receive a Red Sox hat, because no one actually wants that.

That was an excellent interview all around. Really enjoyed that. One statement that jumped out to me was the fact there's no shaft that can increase your launch from a 9 to a 14, and give you 1700 spin. Should someone being fit for a driver then really focus more on the longest, most forgiving clubhead for them and then use the shaft to just basically fine tune?

More accurately there is no shaft that can increase your launch angle that much and reduce your spin.

I find it strange how they can make a general oem shaft and feel its of good enough characteristics to cover a largest portion of swings. I mean I guess in one sense they have to sell clubs that way but its just that it sort of goes against the grain of being shaft fitted because more precise shaft fitting seems to always be of such great importance. Everyone is so very darn different and its almost like "good enough" is just fine vs one taking a shaft fitting to another level. I don't know...nothing bad is meant by my post...but just something to think about. With all the things they can do to a shaft it just seems nearly impossible for the average person to actually find that truly self fit unique shaft. So I guess is also part of why they need to make oem shafts in most clubs we buy. I just wonder how many are actually far away from what is actually best for them. But I guess I'll worry about that when/if I ever play to single digits :)

Good stuff! That show went by a little quick for some reason.

MSI what does that stand for?

MSI is Millions of pounds per square inch. It is a unit of measure for fiber stiffness. Some companies will use Ton instead of MSI.

Back