Talking Shafts with Project X - The Golf Industry Uncut Volume 3

YES! Something to listen to on the way home!

Enjoyed it. Especially with a degree in material science as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MSI is Millions of pounds per square inch. It is a unit of measure for fiber stiffness. Some companies will use Ton instead of MSI.

So the various values you spoke of. It that how you manipulate kick points and loading characteristics?

I find it strange how they can make a general oem shaft and feel its of good enough characteristics to cover a largest portion of swings. I mean I guess in one sense they have to sell clubs that way but its just that it sort of goes against the grain of being shaft fitted because more precise shaft fitting seems to always be of such great importance. Everyone is so very darn different and its almost like "good enough" is just fine vs one taking a shaft fitting to another level. I don't know...nothing bad is meant by my post...but just something to think about. With all the things they can do to a shaft it just seems nearly impossible for the average person to actually find that truly self fit unique shaft. So I guess is also part of why they need to make oem shafts in most clubs we buy. I just wonder how many are actually far away from what is actually best for them. But I guess I'll worry about that when/if I ever play to single digits :)

At the end of the day every golfer would be better served to get fit, but many don't, either due to lack of understanding of fitting, lack of time, lack of money, etc.... When we design OEM shafts we are designing the shaft that would most likely fit a golfer who is unlikely to get fit and generally that means someone who could benefit from more launch and spin.

So the various values you spoke of. It that how you manipulate kick points and loading characteristics?

Exactly. If we take a piece of material in the shaft and swap it from 33 Msi to 66 Msi it can have a drastic change on the shaft performance.

Now I finally understand what MSI is. Loved this one. Tons of information in that one!!

At lot manufacturers do use 1ft·lb but the beam length of the shaft, how much of the shaft is subjected to the torsional force, changes. I've measured shafts marketed at 2.2° that I measure at 4+

Very cool. As an engineer I wish everything was standardized. I think some people get caught up on torque because they think its an absolute. They know a "stiff" between manufactures can very, but when you see 3.2 degrees you see that as a precise number.

Such good episode. I love these episodes of thp radio with the industry guys!

Was good to listen to that. Very informative

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Love that Don's a Red Sox fan! Great content in this episode, very curious to try out a Hrzduz yellow shaft now that I know more about how they work.

Very good listen, I like how he put to rest the myth of the high launch/low spin shaft.

I really don't think that Don likes the Yankees!!

Very informative and a great episode! Thanks Don!

Hell of an episode JB and Don! Very informative and added a little knowledge to the area of shafts for me!

I freaking love these radio shows.

Another great listen, Don is a wealth of information. Loved the explanation of the HZRDUS line, the torque discussion and of course hot seat topics!

Awesome episode. Really learn a lot about what goes into making a shaft and the dynamics. Love that his favorite movie is Bill And Ted's. Not too many would admit that

This was so good. I'm totally geeking out as a chemical engineer because I took several materials science classes in college. I also was a TA in the materials science labs so it was so cool to hear practical applications to the tests and theory we did in class and lab. The Torque test reminds me so much of some of the labs we set up.

I loved it!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This was the best show yet. Very informative and honest.

Another awesome listen, love hearing Don! Well done.

Agreed, Blu. Great show. It's nice having someone who can explain something that is very complex in terms where I a simpleton like myself can understand. Felt like I learned a lot but will probably go back and listen to it again on my way to work tomorrow. That is an amazing description of the food in Asia.

That was a great listen. I knew when I saw Don was doing this it was going to be awesome. Don has so much knowledge and such a passion for the industry and it shows in all the amazing shafts Project X is putting out.

Back