Talking Shafts with Project X - The Golf Industry Uncut Volume 3

Really enjoyed the entire thing. It's so great to get info from the genius behind the products and debunk misleading and untrue myths. Much needed and I'm sure will be referenced often.

Wow so much misinformation in that interview I don't know where to begin. And the fact THP was a party to it makes it even more disturbing.

When we shared a cart at Balboa Park GC, Don and I became blood brothers so I know he was telling me the truth when he said that OEM shafts were made of paper mache and saliva, no shaft with more than 1.8 degrees of torque was worth using and finally those of us at the THP/Project X event were secretly transported to China to hand roll our Project X shafts in order to cut down on costs.

Finally got to listen this morning.

First off, is it just me or does that intro music get the synapses firing?

Also Don is such a great guy to talk to. I remember him sitting down with Canadan at the PGA show last year and it was just gold.

I have been fortunate enough to have been able to talk to some of the great minds in the shaft industry and it's cool to hear the different philosophies of each company and how it translates to their product line.

But I think I need to try the HZRDUS line out and see what the fuss is all about but it might be hard to find near me. Big fan of the LZ line, not fancy enough for the hand crafted but the production line is pretty phenomenal.

I do have one question for Don though: With your background in metallurgy and composites, do you think steel shafts will eventually be able to have the same dampening effects as graphite does for iron shafts? Meaning could you get the price of steel shafts with the benefits of graphite shafts.

Or do you think both will stay separate and graphite will move closer to the price of a steel shaft?

Finally got to listen this morning.

First off, is it just me or does that intro music get the synapses firing?

Also Don is such a great guy to talk to. I remember him sitting down with Canadan at the PGA show last year and it was just gold.

I have been fortunate enough to have been able to talk to some of the great minds in the shaft industry and it's cool to hear the different philosophies of each company and how it translates to their product line.

But I think I need to try the HZRDUS line out and see what the fuss is all about but it might be hard to find near me. Big fan of the LZ line, not fancy enough for the hand crafted but the production line is pretty phenomenal.

I do have one question for Don though: With your background in metallurgy and composites, do you think steel shafts will eventually be able to have the same dampening effects as graphite does for iron shafts? Meaning could you get the price of steel shafts with the benefits of graphite shafts.

Or do you think both will stay separate and graphite will move closer to the price of a steel shaft?

Steel as a base material will never have the same vibration dampening quality of composite, the way vibrations travel through metal versus the way they travel through composite (fiber filled plastic, essentially) is vastly different. With secondary technology such as inserts, steel can have less vibration than composite. Measured in a lab, a Dynamic Gold Sensicore vibrates less than a graphite iron shaft. Shameless plug coming, but for $28.00 you can buy a pack of Sensicore inserts and put them into any steel shaft you like (preferably a quality True Temper Product, but any shaft will work) and get vibration reduction on par with graphite. A lot of our tour pros use Sensicore in some of our other products.

There are a lot of economic variables (increased demand from aerospace, massive energy required for raw material manufacturing) that keep graphite materials more expensive than steel. But if you are looking for graphite feel at steel pricing you can get that with sensicore or other secondary technologies. I would also say that unless you are looking at light weight graphite the shot performance of steel when the two shafts weigh the same can out weigh that of graphite.

DB

Steel as a base material will never have the same vibration dampening quality of composite, the way vibrations travel through metal versus the way they travel through composite (fiber filled plastic, essentially) is vastly different. With secondary technology such as inserts, steel can have less vibration than composite. Measured in a lab, a Dynamic Gold Sensicore vibrates less than a graphite iron shaft. Shameless plug coming, but for $28.00 you can buy a pack of Sensicore inserts and put them into any steel shaft you like (preferably a quality True Temper Product, but any shaft will work) and get vibration reduction on par with graphite. A lot of our tour pros use Sensicore in some of our other products.

There are a lot of economic variables (increased demand from aerospace, massive energy required for raw material manufacturing) that keep graphite materials more expensive than steel. But if you are looking for graphite feel at steel pricing you can get that with sensicore or other secondary technologies. I would also say that unless you are looking at light weight graphite the shot performance of steel when the two shafts weigh the same can out weigh that of graphite.

DB
Thank you for that. I wasn't sure of the answer before but I am now.

There is a lot I don't know about that sort of stuff but I'm always ready to learn.

I listened to the POD cast last night while walking ... wow a good segment! Thanks DB TT for the insights.

DB

When I get my PX LZ Steel this will be happening.

DB TT
First : Thanks for the great information in the interview. It was very informative and enjoyable to listen to.

Question: How does the PXI shafts compare to project X 95 flighted? I need the lighter weight (I think!)

DB

This is fantastic! I had no idea about the Sensicore inserts, and since I'll be regripping soon I plan on adding them to my XP 95s.

DB
I was going to pose a question to you about a comparable shaft to the Project X 6.0 because a couple times (granted theyve been indoors and off of harder mats) my hands were in pain for lengths up to a week after playing but Sensicore may be the ticket im looking for. Now its time to do some research on that because thats the first ive heard of it. Thanks DB!

Thoughts on another great show:

- Don Brown is the Dude.
- His degrees are fancy
- Torque is such an intriguing shaft element -- Love hearing it get expanded as somewhat of a finalization element of shaft selection
- Fun with flags is cooler with Don than it is with Sheldon Cooper
- Mythbusting 'made for' is awesome. Setting up the shaft to perform well with the head
- Yellow HZRDUS sounds like it's the shaft for me, and I'm not surprised... SMOOTH!
- Thoughts on shafts altering launch/spin wildly were very very interesting

Once again, value added to THP in a huge way. The industry knowledge this segment is so enjoyable to listen to.

Listened to this podcast yesterday and was blown away by the amount of info provided. Just awesome on so many levels. Need to get some more project X shafts in my life

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really a great listen. Thanks Don and JB for this one!

Just a couple of my thoughts while listening:

* Eating things with faces is usually delicious.
* Pizza toppings can (and should!) include Fungus & Animal products. You haven't really lived until you've had a prosciutto + mushroom pizza topped with duck eggs.
* I really wish there was a better shaft fitter available around here. (Or, if they are around here, I wish I knew about them).

I hope I get a chance to give HZRDUS a try sometime this season. Thanks again guys!

Really a great listen. Thanks Don and JB for this one!

Just a couple of my thoughts while listening:

* Eating things with faces is usually delicious.
* Pizza toppings can (and should!) include Fungus & Animal products. You haven't really lived until you've had a prosciutto + mushroom pizza topped with duck eggs.
* I really wish there was a better shaft fitter available around here. (Or, if they are around here, I wish I knew about them).

I hope I get a chance to give HZRDUS a try sometime this season. Thanks again guys!

Mushrooms are for sandbaggers. I bet Stan The Caddy loves mushrooms.

Mushrooms are for sandbaggers. I bet Stan The Caddy loves mushrooms.

If you're ever in this part of the world (say Whistling Straits) I'll buy you a pie that'll change your mind (or your money back).

DB TT
First : Thanks for the great information in the interview. It was very informative and enjoyable to listen to.

Question: How does the PXI shafts compare to project X 95 flighted? I need the lighter weight (I think!)

In a couple ways. PXi will launch lower in the long and mid irons than the flighted. The flighted are also a descending weight product, each iron gets lighter as you go from 3 down to wedge where as PXI is constant weight.

Overall, while the PXi will be much lighter in the long/mid irons it will decrease your launch/spin in those clubs as well.

Enjoyed listing to this on the way home. I really would like to try the yellow shaft. Always nice to learn something new

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Love that sensicore info!

Don - are you a proponent of "play the softest shaft you can control"? I've heard it both ways, but recent experience with some R flex shafts in driver and fairway have me thinking.

Don - are you a proponent of "play the softest shaft you can control"? I've heard it both ways, but recent experience with some R flex shafts in driver and fairway have me thinking.

This question has weighed heavy on my mind recently too. Absolutely a great question and great person to ask.

This question has weighed heavy on my mind recently too. Absolutely a great question and great person to ask.

the way your were punishing the driver and irons when we played WC I wouldn't change what your doing

I'm a sucker. This podcast made me buy a project x HZRDUS black shaft. Dang you!!!!

I'm a sucker. This podcast made me buy a project x HZRDUS black shaft. Dang you!!!!

You won't regret it. Fantastic shaft

Funny, I would love to try the yellow or red!

Glad I came back to read some of the posts since my 1st reply! Sensicore inserts for steel shafts?! Interesting.

That was an awesome pod cast. Listened to it while at work, i love listening to Don and hearing all his knowledge he shares with us.

Back