TaylorMade ATV Wedges Review - Forum Testing

Alrighty guys, so this round for me was totally different from last time I put the ATV to work on the course. I'm going to talk about a few of my highlight shots:

Hole 1: After a bomb off the tee, I was left with about 45 yards into the green. Obviously, pulled the 56* ATV. Because, well...why not? Front pin location (about 7 paces onto the front of the green) and I knew I wanted to hit something with a little spin to check it up. Hit a little low punch that landed about 3 feet in front of the flag, skipped twice, and stopped about 6.5 feet past the hole. Made the birdie putt and was off to a good start!

Hole 2: Short Par 5 that I found a fairway bunker on. Bunker was about 30 yards from the green, with probably another 45ft back to the pin. This is where I REALLY love the ATV. I pulled it and blasted the shot out of the bunker (this was my 4th, found some trouble in the tree line) and hit a little low runner that landed about 12 feet onto the green and traveled back, sitting inside 10 feet from the pin. Missed the big breaking putt, but still...from 30 yards out to be inside 10ft is a huge perk. The bunker capabilities of this club continue to amaze me.

Hole 6: This is a short par 3 (133 yards) and today the wind was at our back. I hit the 56* wedge to about pin high and 5 feet left, but I spun the ball all the way back off the green. This isn't a good shot obviously, but I was impressed at just how much spin I could get out of the wedge when I wanted it.

Hole 8: 485yd (or close) par 5. Found myself about 112 out after another bomb off the tee that I played a cut shot on perfectly to catch a down slope for some run. Pulled the wedge and flew it over the green, sitting in some thick rough on the collar. Opened the wedge wide as I could and hit a small little flop and nearly holed it for the eagle. It rolled out to about 4 feet after lipping out, and I tapped in for the 4.

As a whole, the wedge REALLY proved it's stripes for me today. I was able to make every shot happen exactly as I had wanted. It goes to show that through 6 holes, a guy with an 18 handicap was only +1 (of course, I finished +6 :( ). The bunker capablities, as I mentioned, were FANTASTIC. I hit a couple out of a bunker while we were waiting for the group in front of us to get off the tee box, and every shot I hit came out and was within 15ft. I think I hit 4 balls total. The sole cuts through the turf super clean, and the ball flight is nice and high and allowed me to land some soft shots when I needed them. I didn't get to hit the wedge as often as normal today, because when my round was going well I started hitting some 6 irons and whatnot off the tee to give longer approach shots, which I thrive on.

I said I was going to try to get some video on the course today, but it was packed. Usually Sunday is dead out there, but we tee'd off at 1:30 with 5 groups ahead of us and 3 more 4-somes behind us. I didn't want to film anything and hold anyone up.

This is pretty brief, because I'm heading out to visit my niece at the hospital who had her appendix out late last night! I can talk a little more later when I return!

Finally getting around to posting my thoughts on my last two times out with the 56* ATV. Yesterday was a little bit of a battle on the course, as I was dealing with the effects of a lingering migraine and the fact it was 100+ degrees, so I was there, but I kind of wasn't. I played 18 yesterday in a couples scramble and 9 on Friday night in another couples scramble and as I eluded to in my short little recap yesterday, I had the ATV wedge in my hands more times than I can count.

I can't really explain why I am so more comfortable with this wedge in my hands around the green, compared to other wedges I have used over my life, but I just am. I wish I had some scientific breakdown, where I could explain why the heavier head (heavier to me, anyways) feels more comfortable to me on short chips and bump and runs, but I don't. As I said yesterday, I found myself using this, even when the ball was laying on the apron and I had some real estate to cover, instead of putting. I would just make whatever length putting stroke I thought I needed with the wedge, the ball would hop into the air, hit the green, check and spin a little right, and roll out. I missed holing two of these shots yesterday by less than an inch. It feels to me likes it's NOT a matter of "if" I can make this chip, it's a matter of "I CAN" make this chip. It's nice to have the confidence around the green using this wedge, because this has been a constant battle for me over the years, with me either hitting the ball with the leading edge and running it by the hole 20 feet, or chunking it and leaving it 20 feet short of the hole. I just choke down on the grip all the way, hood the face over a little, make whatever length putting stroke I think I need, and the results for me are consistent and have saved quite a few strokes I have thrown away in the past.

I am finding myself just in between too many times with the 56* and maybe if I had a 52* to compliment it, I wouldn't feel this way. From 90 and in, I am good and feel like I can put myself in a position to score, but anytime I am beyond that, there's just not enough there for me. And I don't really chalk this up to the wedge. I chalk this up to me not knowing how to play wedges for so many years and pushing my wedge distances to the edge. Like I said, it's going to come down to me adding a 52* (If I do decide the ATV is the direction I want to go), so my wedges can flow a little better than they are now. It's just trying to train myself and re-learn the fact that wedges are supposed to be precision clubs, instead of distance clubs. I could have opted for the ATV 56* on a short Par 3 yesterday, but didn't have the confidence to 1.) Get it there, and 2.) I thought I was pushing the envelope as far as distance, which would lead to me trying to overpower the wedge and all kinds of bad things happening. I opted for my 54* CG15 and ended up flying over the flag stick and off the green by 20 feet.

I had better success yesterday from some hardpan lies. None sticks out more than the shot I hit into #13 yesterday, a 288 Par 4. I aired my #2 hybrid out to the right and landed in a land where grass is few and far in between. Barely to my surprise, I found my ball nestled on some dry, cracked dirt with a few sprouts of grass behind my ball. I was 55 yards out from the green, with the pin on the left hand side of the green and about 50 feet of green to work with to the right of the flag stick. I focused on hitting the ball first out of this lie, as others have said to do. I took a 1/2 swing and had a mid trajectory flight. At first, I thought I had caught it a little thin and was going to hit the green and roll off the back side. But, it ended up hitting the right side of the green, hitting, and rolling out two feet, tops. I did fan it out a little more right than I had intended, but at least I gave us a chance at birdie. I don't feel like I could have even hit this shot with my current 58* CG12, let alone get it to stick the green and give me a chance to putt for bird. We carded the par, and needless to say, I was pretty pleased with the result there, given my struggles with it in the past.

I am hopefully heading out to the range this evening and I am going to work really hard on improving my success from hard pan and try to get my distances figured out a little better on full shots. Full shots are the only thing holding me back from going totally ecstatic over this wedge.

DK, good stuff there dude! Sounds like you are very happy with how the wedge performed today on the course, as you should be...it left you quite close a few times! The wedge does generate a ton of spin from what I've seen when you really go after one, I feel like this is going to be something I will need to control when I am using my own balls. I found that out the hard way on the course with my 50°.

Good stuff, man...hope your niece is okay.

DK, good stuff there dude! Sounds like you are very happy with how the wedge performed today on the course, as you should be...it left you quite close a few times! The wedge does generate a ton of spin from what I've seen when you really go after one, I feel like this is going to be something I will need to control when I am using my own balls. I found that out the hard way on the course with my 50°.

Good stuff, man...hope your niece is okay.

Thanks man! And yeah, it definitely saved me a lot today! I was really impressed! I just need to work on my feel for the run outs and distances associated with how long it's going to roll (as in, where I have to hit it to get it to stop close).

And she's fine, actually. So fine that they discharged her already and I just didn't know. Good thing I didn't drive out there and THEN find that out.

With previous wedges were you always able to judge distances accurately? Just asking, because I think it's worth it to dig to see if it's the Indian or the arrow (sans inverted cone technology, haha), ya know? Perhaps the club has a hot spot? I don't know, I haven't seen one but I haven't spent a ton of time with it either.

IMO, once we all adjust to the wedge, judging distance should actually become easier. I believe this because of how well the club reacts with the turf, so, if the player puts the swing on it they should...one of the biggest variables is removed from the equation.

Thanks, man. I'll do my best to keeping bringing the thoughts. I put a little bit about the 50° up, I enjoy it just as much as the 56° on full swings...still very limited in my use around the green though.

Nice man! Glad you are liking it, the ponder of purchasing another speaks pretty well for it. Question, how do you go about hitting off of hard ground?

Dude! Sorry to hear that, that really blows...is it a new driver, maybe you can squeeze a new shaft out via warranty?
I have a tendency to not follow through I think as i have this fear skulling of and sending it clear off the green. Off plush lies I'm just fine, if anything those shots may come up short as I get too much loft. Off the super hard stuff which on my home course is everywhere around the green i need to build my confidence I think. I try to like over do getting under it and will hit it super fat or skull. Time will tell but otherwise I love this wedge. Im deff looking into the 56 or 52 down the road but I hit my burner wedges really well right now so no need for me to switch yet

I have a tendency to not follow through I think as i have this fear skulling of and sending it clear off the green. Off plush lies I'm just fine, if anything those shots may come up short as I get too much loft. Off the super hard stuff which on my home course is everywhere around the green i need to build my confidence I think. I try to like over do getting under it and will hit it super fat or skull. Time will tell but otherwise I love this wedge. Im deff looking into the 56 or 52 down the road but I hit my burner wedges really well right now so no need for me to switch yet

This isn't the place, and I don't want to derail the thread but I am 90% sure you are flipping your wrists trying to get the ball up. Your club should have this angle at impact on a chip -----> /

9qw5q9.jpg

See how far ahead of the ball my hands are? See how quickly the ball got up (it's by my left knee)

Work on that, for all shots around the green (and in general, actually) and I think you will find much better results. Hit down on it with a little forward lean like that, and some accerleration, and all will be well...let the club do the work for ya and trust yourself.

Awesome thanks Hart. Ya sorry I won't go any more off topic for technique haha but that is something I'll work on and pay attention to. Then I'll report back to chime in on how the ATV reacted lol

Awesome thanks Hart. Ya sorry I won't go any more off topic for technique haha but that is something I'll work on and pay attention to. Then I'll report back to chime in on how the ATV reacted lol

For sure, give it a shot. "Picking it clean" just entails dropping the club on the back of the ball first (instead of the ground), not actually "picking it" off the turf by flipping the wrists...gotta hit down on it still. Very common misconception.

PM me if you have any more questions about it, man. I'd be glad to try to help ya out if that doesn't work :D

MY ATV REVIEW POSTING INDEX:
INTRO POST/ABOUT ME: Click HERE
INITIAL IN HANDS/LOOKS THOUGHTS: Click HERE
INITIAL LONG RANGE THOUGHTS: Click HERE
INITIAL SHORTS GAME THOUGHTS: Click HERE
SECOND RANGE/SHORT GAME SESSION THOUGHTS: Click HERE

PENDING REQUESTS: (for my reference so I can keep track of them)
Spoiler

Test Date: 06/31/2012
Ball Used: Crappy range balls
Environment: 97° with a Heat Advisory, a little breeze here and there.
Duration: One large + One medium bucket on the range (175 balls, probably 75 or so between the 50° and 56°) ; 1 hour on the chipping green.

The first time I got this thing out on the range, I loved it and I was very excited about it. Still, I didn't want to crown it king because it was one time...and we all know how golf is. The second time I had it out, I saw the same amazing results, and that excited me more. At this point I was buying into it a little more, but still needed to spend some more time with it before I could comfortably give it the crown. Today was my third time out with it, and this marks me saying that I am getting much closer to giving it the title. I still want to reserve judgement for the long-term, but short-term, either this is a hell of a honeymoon or it's the real deal.

At this point I feel pretty comfortable telling anyone reading that they would be doing themselves an injustice not to get out and give these a test drive. I really do think TM had something special on their hands with this wedge, and I feel it will be setting the bar go forward for other OEM's to copycat (let's face it, that's how the golf equipment industry works...and we are the beneficiaries).

100 YARDS AND OUT:

:deadhorse: INCOMING, you've been warned :alien:.

Things I am loving about this wedge (still):

1. Turf interaction
  2. Feel
  3. Control
  4. Ball flight
All of these together = A LOT OF CONFIDENCE. I think I have said it all to this point (see my index of previous posts links above if you are not up to speed), so I
need not repeat myself here. I simply want to reiterate the thoughts I have already put up in this thread. All I can say at this point is that I have duplicated the insanely good results three times out in a row. I am a streaky (albeit solid) player, I can go low one day and fall apart the next. For me to continue to duplicate my high level successes three times in a row means one thing...the ATV's have proved themselves to me, I have bought into them, and I trust them. In reality, that is all I need as a golfer when it comes to wedges...to believe in them.

They are consistent for me, and I simply cannot wait to get them out on the course...I really feel I am going to have a special round with my new found Wedge Love. I am oozing confidence anytime I am staring down the barrel with either my 50° or 56° in my hand. It is no longer a thought of "don't hit a crappy one and leave a long putt", it has become "How close can you put this one this time?". I love that. It is only a matter of time before I hole one out, because lord knows I have put a TON damn close.

When I am at the range I go to, I really don't know how long I have to the flags I am aiming at...at least not for certain. I am eyeballing it, and going from there once I have a couple swings in to it. If an 8 iron is short, I hit the 7 and see if that's the stick. I really wish I had a rangefinder to get the exact yardages, but since I haven't played a round with these yet, more concrete figures will have to come (damn you COLT for winning the Z6!! I really needed that and I don't have the cash for one currently, haha). My best guess is that I am hitting the cut-off 56° to the 110 yard mark, and the 50° to the 140 mark. With my old sticks, my 60° was good up to 115 (yes 115 yards with a 60°, get over it); and my 54° got me up to about 130, a few more if I stepped on it. I'm thinking the ATV 56° will get me to about 125 comfortably, 130 max, as it was coming up just short of the green I was hitting the 50° to with a comfortable swing (yes I tried to see if I could kill one and get it there, and I couldn't haha). My PW is my 150 club (again, deal with it), and I put it just off the back of the green for the pin I was aiming the 50° at. I feel like I have pretty good gaps with the 46° i20 PW, 50° ATV, and 56° ATV. I had debated bending the 56° to 55° down the road (post testing, JB told me no when I asked him pre-testing haha), to even my gaps out once I had a 60°, but I am not sure that is necessary. We will see what I ultimately end up doing post-testing once I see how things go on the course and what I ultimately decide is best of my game and it's needs.

THE 50° ATV:
Today, as some of the THP'ers have been asking me about the 50°, I decided to give it it's fair share of swings on the range. It's performance mirrored that of the 56°...aka alarmingly good. I was taking full swings with it to get it to the flag I was looking at, which as stated, I am guessing was around 140ish. If I didn't catch it perfect, I came up a touch short...and when I really flushed one, it flew a few yards past the flag. Regardless of the actual yardage, I knew what swing it required to get it pin high (through trial and error), and that was my basis for judgement. A 50° is something I have never bagged, but have recently realized could ultimately be [one of the] the most important clubs in my bag. Why? I hit my driver long, very long, which means I have 140 or less into basically any par 4 I play. My dream is that I will have a 50° and 56° wedge that I have a ton of confidence in, and I can play to those yardages off of the tee on par 4's to set myself up for a lot of easy birdie putts.

I hit a lot of shots close with the 50° today. Not as crazy close as I was getting them with the 56°, but close. Close enough that I was very pleased thinking that those would be my birdie putts, and I am a big perfectionist on the golf course. Consistently putting the ball this close from 140 yards is a big deal to me. The turf interaction of the 50° was equally as impressive; as was the ball flight, control, and feel. For any of the readers pondering a 50°, I would give you the green light. For anyone who cares about spin, I was one hopping and bringing range balls back a tiny bit with my full swings. So, it spins...trust me. I found this out the hard way last weekend when I spun one with the 50° back about 25 feet down a really tiny slope on a shot I tried to kill with it. It spun all the way back almost off of the front of the green. In my case, this has me worried as I might need to re-learn to "control my spin" for both the 50° and 56°, but we will see if the grooves chill out a little once they aren't so new. For the everyday player, this just means you should experience enough spin to allow you to fly the ball to the pin with confidence.

If you've tried the 56° and like it, I am confident in saying that you will also like the 50° (that for you, Kmac!). It is equally as impressive, and I really couldn't ask for more out of either club.

SHORT GAME:
Again, I will spare you the redundancy of me repeating myself. This wedge is still getting the job done for me around the green. I am beginning to really dial it in with the 56° from the 30-40 yard pitch range. I love this thing from any fairway lie I can get it into. Today I toyed with a lot of the awkward shots that are about 30 yards, to a short-sided front pin, with the green sloping away on the 5 yards from the front edge to the pin. What shot does this require? It requires a shot with a LOT of touch, an open face, and the ball moved forward. In short, a fairway flop shot. The wedge performed beautifully as usual. It slid right under the ball, lofted it air into the air, and landed softly...even with the good 'ol Top Flight range balls the range provides for the short game area. To the back pin I again moved the ball from my front foot to back foot, and opened the face a lot or a little, to give it a full service testing. The thing I love most about this wedge around the green it that is allows me to do this at ease mentally...I know what it's going to do/how it's going to react depending on how I set up, and that is priceless to me. It's handled all I can throw at it without batting a lash, the only thing left for me to try is opening the face on hardpan.

I am still working on getting this dialed in from the rough. I am getting closer, and putting a lot of the shots really close, but still now and then I have a really terrible one. Over time, we will see if this turns into me not liking it from the rough, or simply just some growing pains. My money is on the latter, I think it really gets the job done...and does it better than I am used to, so I need to continue to grow into the wedge and learn to adjust.

One quick thing of note: I do think anyone could get away with not bagging a 60° and using the 56° ATV exclusively for it's duties, especially the everyday player who doesn't have an obsession with a 60° wedge. I have hit plenty of shots I never would've considering being able to hit without a 60°, and they were easy to pull off. Still, for me, I am 95% certain within the next month of two I will bag a 60° ATV because, 1) I am obsessed with 60° wedges, and 2) once testing is over, I am not going to want to look my Vokey 60.04 in the eyes because I will feel nothing but disappointment and disgust in it. It is always going to be inferior to me. I've spent years thinking it was top tier, years I can never get back, and it turns out it's just an everyday hood rat.

MORAL OF THE STORY:

Get out and give one of these wedges a try. I obviously can't promise you that you will love it (no one can with any club), or that it will beat your current gamer, but I think there is a damn good chance it will. IMO, it would be ill advised not to give this a long look (especially if you are in the market for wedges, then it's a no brainer). Everyone is different, but I am trending towards saying this wedge is perfect for me, and the best I've had my chance to get in my hands...and I think it will be perfect for a lot of THP'ers. If it can handle my wedge madness, I am inclined to believe it can handle yours. Cheers :drinks:

One thing I forgot to mention in this review that just crossed my mind.

Despite all of the praise I have given the wedge to this point, and although I have held on to the disclaimer that "it is still early", I think it is worth calling this out. I tend to be a "Range Pro" at times. If you don't know what that means, in short it means I am very very solid on the range and don't always necessarily carry that solidness over to the course. This was true back in my prime (if you wonder what I mean, direct your attention to my Intro Post linked above), and I have to assume it is still true after my 5 year break. I feel on the range that I have close to the game of a pro, but it doesn't always translate over to on the course, i.e. where it really matters. So, to this point, all of my tests have been passed, and passed with flying colors...except the most important one.

I plan to try to get out to play 18 on the holiday (Tuesday), so we will see how things go then. Of course, I will have thoughts following this...and these thoughts will be the ones that matter most IMO. If it doesn't perform on the course, what good is it really?

What a great update inhart. I saw some very good results today but still need to put it all together for a write up.

That's why I like IHWT updates, it's really awesome hearing what a scratch golfer thinks about this club since I've heard a lot of talk down here that the ATV is for high handicappers who need game improvement stuff haha, great updates again IHWT!

And also the rest of the testers, keep up the fine work, I tip my hat to you!

I am really excited about tomorrows testing, I'm going to play the links golf course where the rough is knee high and the sand bunkers can be deeper and taller than me! The slopes around the green and the natural contour of the land makes some areas feel like a another bunker. There is also numerous sand traps around the green as well as water so a crappy sand shot can cost another stroke-or two-by leaving it in another bunker or the water-rough behind since once yoou get it in the rough, you might as well take a drop. . .I have struggled severey with my short game here and I want to see how th ATV performs here. I'll post my findings tomorrow night haha I'm really excited for this one since this is the only course that I genuinely fear.

Spoiler
7154854707_7c735457d4.jpg

7340058342_fac97c024b.jpg

Thanks for all the info thus far guys. I have been thinking about replacing my old ram wedges with some more current and have been eyeing the ATV. I need some help with what degree wedges would make the most sense. The Rams are currently a 55 and a 60 and my gap wedge is a 49. Does a 54 and 58 make sense? Thanks.

I bought one of these last week on a trip to Miami, played 4 courses with it and really loved it. It felt a little heavier than my current wedges but it gave me confidence. Sadly, I left it on the green of the 9th hole at Crandon Park and no one turned it in.

Thanks for all the info thus far guys. I have been thinking about replacing my old ram wedges with some more current and have been eyeing the ATV. I need some help with what degree wedges would make the most sense. The Rams are currently a 55 and a 60 and my gap wedge is a 49. Does a 54 and 58 make sense? Thanks.

I think you can get away with a 54 and a 58, I used to use a 52 and 58 only and since the ATV came around, I only use the 52 56 no lob wedge, I bet the 58 will be pretty awesome! I would try them out and see what works for you, since these clubs have been so versatile for me, you may rethink your wedge set up when you try them out! In my opinion, the 56 did what my 52 and my 58 did!

I bought one of these last week on a trip to Miami, played 4 courses with it and really loved it. It felt a little heavier than my current wedges but it gave me confidence. Sadly, I left it on the green of the 9th hole at Crandon Park and no one turned it in.

Wow man that really sucks! I hope whoever stole it gets crappy Karma aha

Hart, Jeff, and Darren.....great thoughts!!!!

I played today and used this wedge from many different types of lies. I am really amazed at how well it is working for me out of the sand. I have hit several shots out of the sand with only one that I was not please with. Full shots with this club are going to be a game changer for me. Chips around the greens are something I am not getting the full potential out of the product, yet. No doubt about it, someone with a better skill level than myself, could really have fun with the multiple bounce around the greens. I will get better with those pitch and run shots but I still need more practice. This wedge could truly take two wedges out of your bag, with practice and trust.

I played today and used this wedge from many different types of lies. I am really amazed at how well it is working for me out of the sand. I have hit several shots out of the sand with only one that I was not please with. Full shots with this club are going to be a game changer for me. Chips around the greens are something I am not getting the full potential out of the product, yet. No doubt about it, someone with a better skill level than myself, could really have fun with the multiple bounce around the greens. I will get better with those pitch and run shots but I still need more practice. This wedge could truly take two wedges out of your bag, with practice and trust.

it surely has taken my lob and current sand wedge out, I love my 52 xFT and the occasional 50* AW burner 2.0 but I am seriously considering leaving the gap wedge at home or buying another ATV (50)

I agree 110% with the bolded part of your statement and have said the same thing myself. It could actually lead to a little bit of a bag conundrum, because I would have the luxury of adding a club, and I wouldn't know what or where to add. I said, that for myself, I don't think I would need a wedge above the 56*, because it has been flawless around the greens for me.

I haven't had the chance to hit out of the sand yet with the ATV. I finally found myself in a bunker on Saturday, but we were scrambling (and we didn't need my shot), we were on the 17th hole, and it was HOT, so I didn't feel like saying, "Hey guys! Hold up. Let me bog us down for a few minutes while I try this out". LOL. Not being in the sand is a good thing, unless you want to try a wedge out in the sand, then it seems like you never end up in there.

Thanks Hart for the discussion on the 50* wedge. This is looking more and more like a wedge I need to get a little more serious about. May have to try it out again soon.

~Rock

I should be able to get my weekend thoughts up tonight or early tomorrow, but these ATV's are just unreal from the thick stuff, even short love out of that stuff.

I should be able to get my weekend thoughts up tonight or early tomorrow, but these ATV's are just unreal from the thick stuff, even short love out of that stuff.

I'm excited to see how they work in knee high rough today!

Due I completely agree with you. Out of the rough Im not sure Ive ever used a better wedge.

Due I completely agree with you. Out of the rough Im not sure Ive ever used a better wedge.

Agreed. With this ^

I've noticed a few people mention a higher percentage of "fat" shots with these. From my experience this was a problem as well. At least they didn't "dig" hard and just sliced through the turf like a Ginsu, but yes. These seem to get ahold of the the ground a bit earlier than with other wedges I've played. Especially off of tight lies. These puppies take precision striking off of tight lies.

Tapping and crashing with the new updated/downgraded Tapatalk.

I will second that completely. My favorite lie to play this wedge out of is rough and fluff.

Gregory Hines. Tapping.

Back