TaylorMade Burner SuperFast 2.0 & TP Driver Review Thread

Is the TMSF 2.0 available in 9.5 as the lowest loft and the TMSF 2.0 TP available in 8.5 as the lowest loft?

2, it's LOUD! The first day I hit it I didn't really hit too many right on the center of the sweet spot and noticed 2 things, first I hit it a lot straighter and second was that it didn't make that really loud sound. I also really didn't notice too much distance loss either, in fact I really didn't even realize I hadn't been hitting dead center until after the first time I did and heard that sound. What a difference!
It may be different sounding than last years SF, but that's the same way the club reacts and sounds for me. Sounds like very similar characteristics to first SF.

Looking forward to hearing more on it.

It's loud but it's a better loud than some of the other loud drivers. Check this video out, very cool and you can hear the sound it makes when the guys who really know what they're doing hit it well. http://www.taylormadegolf.com/mainlevel/golfshop/drivers/Burner-SuperFast-2-0.html?IsPopUp=0#30

Edit: Go under Gallery and there is a video in there.

Thanks for the writeup P4B! I'm really interested in this driver now too. The thing is the shaft is 46" correct while I notice shorter drivers are around 45" correct? Would I be defeating the purpose of this driver if I wanted to cut the shaft down a bit? What kind of results would I expect?

Thanks for the writeup P4B! I'm really interested in this driver now too. The thing is the shaft is 46" correct while I notice shorter drivers are around 45" correct? Would I be defeating the purpose of this driver if I wanted to cut the shaft down a bit? What kind of results would I expect?

Excellent question! I was just thinking about this last night. I'm goin to try and hit it this weekend. Really looking forward to it.

The local Golf Galaxy opened their doors for a midnight release and were giving away $50 gift cards to the first 10 people to hit it. I wonder if 10 people actually showed up.

Question for you knowledgeable folk: I read somewhere the supertri is a more spinny driver than the r9, and the r11 is more similar to the r9 than the supertri. Now where would the superfast fall in these categories?

My biggest miss with my driver is a hook - and im wondering if the supertri is too spinny for me (sure it probably helps it get higher with the backspin; but if its adding excess sidespin - i would like to eliminate that - which i know is mostly user error :( ) and if i would see better accuracy with a less spinny head - so would the r11 fit the bill? or superfast? or do i just have to wait until May and hit them on a Launch monitor lol

thanks guys

I would love to hit this driver. Unfortunately, I won't be able to buy one this year. I have already started planning a week long backpacking fly-fishing trip into Colorado in July so any extra money I come across will go to that. It's times like this that I wish I would have married into money. Dang it! Maybe toward the end of the year I can find a good deal on one or at least find a good used one.

Cg13- I was told that more spin on the driver (as in spinny head) was just backspin, and the sidespin was user. Now im sure the more spinny heads might add a little to the sidespin but its more referring to the backspin. Backspin just means more carry distance. I think the Superfast falls somewere between then R9 and supertri. Has a little more back spin than the R9 but not as much as the supertri. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Excellent question! I was just thinking about this last night. I'm goin to try and hit it this weekend. Really looking forward to it.

The local Golf Galaxy opened their doors for a midnight release and were giving away $50 gift cards to the first 10 people to hit it. I wonder if 10 people actually showed up.
Both me and my buddy Chuck cut ours (last years) down and found it a little easier to control and more accurate. Lost nothing cutting down the standard shaft from the butt or putting in a premium shaft at standard length.

I think it's silly that companies are lengthening the shafts an praising more distance and clubhead speed. In essence, they are making the club harder to hit for the average amateur. Cut away.

Question for you knowledgeable folk: I read somewhere the supertri is a more spinny driver than the r9, and the r11 is more similar to the r9 than the supertri. Now where would the superfast fall in these categories?

My biggest miss with my driver is a hook - and im wondering if the supertri is too spinny for me (sure it probably helps it get higher with the backspin; but if its adding excess sidespin - i would like to eliminate that - which i know is mostly user error :( ) and if i would see better accuracy with a less spinny head - so would the r11 fit the bill? or superfast? or do i just have to wait until May and hit them on a Launch monitor lol

thanks guys
They are talking about backspin. Jump in a monitor and compare the results side by side.

Tip: A less spinny ball is going to help your sidespin issue as well. e6 is a good one for that, the RXS will enhance that sidespin. Try the RX.

Both me and my buddy Chuck cut ours (last years) down and found it a little easier to control and more accurate. Lost nothing cutting down the standard shaft from the butt or putting in a premium shaft at standard length.

I think it's silly that companies are lengthening the shafts an praising more distance and clubhead speed. In essence, they are making the club harder to hit for the average amateur. Cut away.

Thanks biggsy! I just love the feel of a shorter driver. So I presume your PX is at 45" ? How do you like it?

went and looked at this tonight, didn't get a chance to hit it. For some reason I did no like the way it set up. The white didn't bother me but something just seemed wrong to me.

I hit the 2.0 standard today for about 30 minutes on the range and monitor. I picked up 2.7 mph's and reduced by spin by 320 rpm's. The feel was great, I just loved how smooth the club transitioned through impact. The sound was a nice thwack on center strikes. I'm rocking the 910 D2 pretty well but I'll likely break down and buy the 2.0 for a some driver wars.

Thanks biggsy! I just love the feel of a shorter driver. So I presume your PX is at 45" ? How do you like it?
it's fantastic. I think the shaft was made for me.

went and looked at this tonight, didn't get a chance to hit it. For some reason I did no like the way it set up. The white didn't bother me but something just seemed wrong to me.

The non-traditional shape throws some people. Plus it's closed at address, which some also can't adjust to.

Played a round of simulator golf yesterday and used the SuperFast 2.0 driver. I was anxious to see my launch angle numbers with this compared to the ridiculously low launch I'm used to with my J38 (don't get me wrong, I don't hate it, just a little lower than I'd like). I averaged around 8 degrees of launch with the J38 and with the SF 2.0 that launch average jumped up to 12 in my first round of playing in the SIM. I will be going back next week and using the SF 2.0 again, unfortunately the SIM we use doesn't give me side spin, back spin, swing speed but I can get launch angle and ball speed and distance so that should help me some. I'll keep updating this thread.

Hope it works out for ya P4B! I have a funny feeling it would go well with all that TMADE in your bag.

Played a round of simulator golf yesterday and used the SuperFast 2.0 driver. I was anxious to see my launch angle numbers with this compared to the ridiculously low launch I'm used to with my J38 (don't get me wrong, I don't hate it, just a little lower than I'd like). I averaged around 8 degrees of launch with the J38 and with the SF 2.0 that launch average jumped up to 12 in my first round of playing in the SIM. I will be going back next week and using the SF 2.0 again, unfortunately the SIM we use doesn't give me side spin, back spin, swing speed but I can get launch angle and ball speed and distance so that should help me some. I'll keep updating this thread.

The non-traditional shape throws some people. Plus it's closed at address, which some also can't adjust to.

SO this driver wouldn't be good for guys fighting a hook? Or with a natural draw ball flight?

Hi Guys,
I am on vacation in Florida for 7 rounds of golf and having a great time. I ordered several weeks ago a R11 TP 9.5 w/ Matrix HD shaft which I have not received yet. I got fitted and this combination gave me great numbers across the board. Yesterday, I decided to demo the SF 2.0 TP w/ Matrix HD shaft. My first impression was that this club is a thing of beauty! I took it to the range and immediately noticed the non glare from the white head. I compared it to my Supertri and I was amazed. I never ever thought of sun glare before but now that I have used the white non-glared head, I prefer it. If any driver in the future was offered in white/non glare or black, I will always choose white now. The White "rocks"!!! The shaft is amazing and I got great ball flight and distance. The Matrix HD is what I got fitted for in my R11. However, this is not the club for me because of the 1 degree open face. My misses tend to be right and with the club face already open, it makes my misses worse. If I was going to get this club, I would get the non TP head and the matrix HD shaft and the shorter length as the TP version. I need and want to be able to square or close my club face at address with the adjustments so the R11 is for me. But, I loved the sound, feel and distance of this club and if you are a "burner guy", this is a great club. Hope this helps...
Sincerely,
Steve

there was just something about it, it could be the close face since my last 2 drivers were slightly open. I tried hitting it along side the R11 today, I had better results with the R11. I thought that club felt better too. The writing and designs on the crown did not bother me.

I had the chance to hit both the R11 and Burner Superfast 2.0 at my nearby Dick's today. I was really impressed with both clubs, unfortunately this is a new store that does not have a simulator just yet. Also noticed a special sale on high number Penta TP's, with the numbers 5,7,9 and 11. There was also new R11 bags, hats and towels. However, my lovely bridge bought me a new pair of FootJoy Contour Series for V-Day!

SO this driver wouldn't be good for guys fighting a hook? Or with a natural draw ball flight?

Probably not. I don't know if TM is going to make a TP version like last years, but if they do, that club is neutral to open and that would be a better option.

Back