TaylorMade JetSpeed Driver Review Thread

Not sure but is your driver stock? 46" in with 49g shaft? I had it changed by taylormade and it's a BIG difference in feel and control....my shaft is 20g heavier and shorter but I've still gained 15-20 yds of carry

Does the TP version play shorter than 46"

Hawk I just re-read your review on this driver. There are some things that certainly bother me about this club. I guess I just have reservations about both TM drivers on the market right now. The high-toe miss you talked about being penal, that hurts me. But sounds like it's penal in the SLDR as well. The 46 inch shaft scares me a bit too, but I guess I could always chop that down.

Here is a question that I bet you have answered already. With the push to loft up on the TM drivers, do you think it's better to go with the higher loft and lower it using the sleeve, or play a lower loft and raise it with the sleeve?

Just depends what you want to look at dude. I'd go high and dial down personally.

Hawk I just re-read your review on this driver. There are some things that certainly bother me about this club. I guess I just have reservations about both TM drivers on the market right now. The high-toe miss you talked about being penal, that hurts me. But sounds like it's penal in the SLDR as well. The 46 inch shaft scares me a bit too, but I guess I could always chop that down.

Here is a question that I bet you have answered already. With the push to loft up on the TM drivers, do you think it's better to go with the higher loft and lower it using the sleeve, or play a lower loft and raise it with the sleeve?
I am having great success with my 13* lofted down to 12.5 right now. My new philosophy right now is to try and hit high long bombs with all my clubs and it is really working for me. I believe my equipment is really helping out with that philosophy. Cool thing is, with the flat club head, I can tee it lower and hit some lower stingers into the wind as well. The free 17* wood I received with purchase of the driver is also a bomber. The only thing I may change is cutting off half an inch on both clubs as I find myself choking up an inch on all my shots.

Went to a TM demo day today and was humored when the rep told us that they were crap compared to the SLDR

Went to a TM demo day today and was humored when the rep told us that they were crap compared to the SLDR
Well then, I like crap. I killed this driver yesterday. Guess I need to try the SLDR as well.

Well then, I like crap. I killed this driver yesterday. Guess I need to try the SLDR as well.

Yeah, I actually hit it very well and was surprised when he said that. However, I do prefer the SLDR.

Isn't Ernie Els gaming the JetSpeed driver?

My Surprise

My Surprise

I'll be writing a homepage review of TaylorMade's latest driver offering, the JetSpeed. Specs on the unit I'm testing are 9.5° loft with Matrix Velox S shaft.

While the assumption by many has been that this driver would be the one in the TM line that drifted from their low/forward CG technology, that is incorrect. This driver also features the same basic theory there, though it does have a slightly shallower face than the SLDR. It lacks the sliding weight adjustment, is the first TM driver to feature the Speed Pocket, and has a 12 way adapter for +-1.5° of loft change.

Here's a little technical info from TM on the new driver.

Now, if you read all that, you may have noticed something that is really interesting to me. The JetSpeed is designed to retain lower spin rates with contact low on the face. That's really the opposite of what you'll see with most modern drivers, as they typically spin more on low hits to counteract the inevitable low launch from that miss. My mind isn't really understanding all of that right now, but we'll see how it works out.

As for looks, I guess I'm a bit underwhelmed initially. Nothing really stands out to me, and the crown does remind me so much of the Burner, which was my first 'real' driver.

Took a few swings tonight, but nothing serious. Hit some decent shots with it and numbers were actually pretty good. Will be giving this on the customary full test outside and on the monitor of course, so stay tuned.

I went to get fit for either a SLDR or AMP Cell or G25 (hoping the SLDR was the best fit). I came out with this. I hit the SLDR a touch further, but every shot with the Jetspeed was a laser down the middle plus it was $100 cheaper. Add in the free fairway wood with purchase and it was a done deal. Took it to the course and popped it straight down the middle around 250-260 at 9.5-deg loft. I had hoped for a little more distance because I can hit the R1 set at 8.5-deg 270-290. However, I realized I use the whole fairway and part of the rough with the R1 and the Jetspeed seems to always be within a few feet of the centerline. I think I'd rather give up a little distance for the middle of the short grass. I think I might be able to tweak a few more yards with a small loft adjustment.

It actually looks a little better at address with better visual alignment. The Jetspeed and SLDR feel nearly identical. No noticeable difference in the swing or at contact. I would say a virtual tie with the SLDR. The SLDR wins by a small margin if they are priced the same. With the price difference AND a free club, it is ridiculous not to at least compare the Jetspeed against any other choices.

I went to get fit for either a SLDR or AMP Cell or G25 (hoping the SLDR was the best fit). I came out with this. I hit the SLDR a touch further, but every shot with the Jetspeed was a laser down the middle plus it was $100 cheaper. Add in the free fairway wood with purchase and it was a done deal. Took it to the course and popped it straight down the middle around 250-260 at 9.5-deg loft. I had hoped for a little more distance because I can hit the R1 set at 8.5-deg 270-290. However, I realized I use the whole fairway and part of the rough with the R1 and the Jetspeed seems to always be within a few feet of the centerline. I think I'd rather give up a little distance for the middle of the short grass. I think I might be able to tweak a few more yards with a small loft adjustment.

It actually looks a little better at address with better visual alignment. The Jetspeed and SLDR feel nearly identical. No noticeable difference in the swing or at contact. I would say a virtual tie with the SLDR. The SLDR wins by a small margin if they are priced the same. With the price difference AND a free club, it is ridiculous not to at least compare the Jetspeed against any other choices.

Welcome to THP. Nice purchase. I'd sacrifice a few yards for a fairway finding machine too.

Congrats on your new Sticks i felt similar to you Jetspeed is solid SLDR is just a bit longer
The jetspped fairways are also great

Welcome to THP

You did not make a mistake. For me the Jetspeed was the easiest and straightest TMag driver that I've ever tried. I never even changed its settings and was perfectly happy. I still haven't found a SLDR setting & shaft combo that I like. Lots of folks will find their way to these Jetspeeds thru screaming discounts and be quite content.

Welcome to THP. Nice purchase. I'd sacrifice a few yards for a fairway finding machine too.

Thanks! I did forget to mention that with the 9.5-deg setting and 103 mph swing speed I was hitting the Jetspeed with a 14+ degree launch angle and 140+ mph ball speed in the simulator during my fitting.

I tossed $47 at a jetspeed head on ebay earlier just to see. Well, i saw and now I'm the proud owner of it. I've never hit one but now I'm in the market for a shaft so i can check this thing out. Will the SLDR and R1 adapters fit this thing?

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Received mine at the door on Wednesday. Went out and played 9 holes with it after work today. WOW! From a guy that goes through drivers like water I've never been more impressed. A quick bio at 6' 240 with a decent swing speed in the 105 ballpark and a low teen handicapper I'm no stranger to struggling laterally from the tee-box. So much so that for a while I carried two 3 woods in my bag, one to hit off the fairway and one to hit off of the tee. Without adjusting any settings or any practice swings at the range I pulled the Jetspeed from the bag on whole 1 and hit a medium high draw that came off the tee like a rocket (maybe TM should've saved the RBZ name for this club). Playing a course that is pretty soft considering the drought here in North Texas but the roll I got off this club due to the low spin nature of it. The course I was playing has on cart touch point GPS (touch a spot on the green and get instant yardage) and according to the cart a 276 yard fairway finder right out of the box without any adjustment.

After that I pulled out the tool to tinker and upped it to what one would consider to be an 11.5 loft I suppose (2 markes higher than standard). This course has generous fairways but they have some tough dog legs on shorter par 4s where a high carried drive over trees lining the fairway can be very rewarding. On a par 4 that is 301 from the tee with a sharp dog leg left I aimed just right of the trees playing a draw to land in an open area 50 yards or so shy of the green. The ball did exactly what I wanted it to and just barely caught a tree leaf as it turned the corner but was unaffected and stopped about 15 yards shy of the green.

Ladies and gents this club goes straight, it will work with you a bit if you need it, and if you loft up slightly above what you're used to it will fly high with generous roll out on the back end. It can be had for change on ebay right now and is well worth a look if you need something more forgiving than the SLDR line of clubs.

Received mine at the door on Wednesday. Went out and played 9 holes with it after work today. WOW! From a guy that goes through drivers like water I've never been more impressed. A quick bio at 6' 240 with a decent swing speed in the 105 ballpark and a low teen handicapper I'm no stranger to struggling laterally from the tee-box. So much so that for a while I carried two 3 woods in my bag, one to hit off the fairway and one to hit off of the tee. Without adjusting any settings or any practice swings at the range I pulled the Jetspeed from the bag on whole 1 and hit a medium high draw that came off the tee like a rocket (maybe TM should've saved the RBZ name for this club). Playing a course that is pretty soft considering the drought here in North Texas but the roll I got off this club due to the low spin nature of it. The course I was playing has on cart touch point GPS (touch a spot on the green and get instant yardage) and according to the cart a 276 yard fairway finder right out of the box without any adjustment.

After that I pulled out the tool to tinker and upped it to what one would consider to be an 11.5 loft I suppose (2 markes higher than standard). This course has generous fairways but they have some tough dog legs on shorter par 4s where a high carried drive over trees lining the fairway can be very rewarding. On a par 4 that is 301 from the tee with a sharp dog leg left I aimed just right of the trees playing a draw to land in an open area 50 yards or so shy of the green. The ball did exactly what I wanted it to and just barely caught a tree leaf as it turned the corner but was unaffected and stopped about 15 yards shy of the green.

Ladies and gents this club goes straight, it will work with you a bit if you need it, and if you loft up slightly above what you're used to it will fly high with generous roll out on the back end. It can be had for change on ebay right now and is well worth a look if you need something more forgiving than the SLDR line of clubs.

What makes it more forgiving than the SLDR? Weight placement is in the same spot and the shaft is actually longer.

What makes it more forgiving than the SLDR? Weight placement is in the same spot and the shaft is actually longer.

It goes a lot straighter for me than when I demoed the slider. And I didn't have shots knuckle and fall from the sky like with the SLDR.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

It goes a lot straighter for me than when I demoed the slider. And I didn't have shots knuckle and fall from the sky like with the SLDR.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Don't they spin a little more ?

Don't they spin a little more ?
I know experienced more spin with Jet Speed and the TM rep noted that the speed slot could make the club perform more consistently for golfers who miss low on the face.

Back