TaylorMade JetSpeed Driver Review Thread

Hawk

Master Painter
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
I'll be writing a homepage review of TaylorMade's latest driver offering, the JetSpeed. Specs on the unit I'm testing are 9.5° loft with Matrix Velox S shaft.

While the assumption by many has been that this driver would be the one in the TM line that drifted from their low/forward CG technology, that is incorrect. This driver also features the same basic theory there, though it does have a slightly shallower face than the SLDR. It lacks the sliding weight adjustment, is the first TM driver to feature the Speed Pocket, and has a 12 way adapter for +-1.5° of loft change.

Here's a little technical info from TM on the new driver.

JetSpeed is the first-ever driver to incorporate TaylorMade’s renowned Speed Pocket technology. Why put the Speed Pocket in a driver, which is already at the COR limit of .822? In this case the Speed Pocket is engineered to promote less spin. JetSpeed’s Speed Pocket also offers a huge performance advantage when impact is made low on the face, where most driver mis-hits occur. With most drivers, low impact generates too much spin, making the ball fly too high and land short. JetSpeed’s Speed Pocket is engineered to minimize that added spin dramatically, to give you more distance. You’ll get a noticeable boost in power when you catch it thin. And when you hit it center-face? Ba-boom.
Unlike the early Speed Pocket designs in RocketBallz and RBZ Stage 2 fairways and Rescue™ clubs, the JetSpeed driver’s Speed Pocket is filled with a polymer that keeps debris out and absorbs unwanted vibration while allowing the face to flex freely.

JetSpeed also incorporates a low-forward CG location, which has been proven in previous TaylorMade drivers to generate faster ball speed and lower spin compared to the low-back CG that has for years been accepted as the best location for promoting distance. Because low-forward also promotes a lower launch angle, most players will have to “loft up” to realize the full distance-enhancing benefits of JetSpeed. Three JetSpeed driver lofts are offered – 9.5°, 10.5° and HL (13°). Its Loft-sleeve technology allows you to easily choose from one of 12 positions that give you a range of loft adjustment from ±1.5°.

Visually, the streamlined JetSpeed head features a matte black crown with a unique tonal decal that promotes accurate alignment. Imagine an F-16 that wanted to grow up to be a driver and you’ll get the picture. The stock shaft is the Matrix Velox T 49 (49 grams). A TP version is also available, the difference being the Matrix Velox 60 shaft.

-First Speed Pocket engineered for a driver promotes more distance on hits low on the face
-Low-and-forward CG promotes faster ball speed and lower spin-rate for more distance
-Long and light – 46” / 299 grams -- promotes faster swing speed for more distance
-Shallow profile allows ultra-low CG to promote high launch for more distance
-Streamlined head-shape promotes faster swing speed for more distance
-Matrix Velox T 49 shaft promotes fast swing speed for more distance
-Matte black crown reduces glare / tonal decal makes alignment easy

Now, if you read all that, you may have noticed something that is really interesting to me. The JetSpeed is designed to retain lower spin rates with contact low on the face. That's really the opposite of what you'll see with most modern drivers, as they typically spin more on low hits to counteract the inevitable low launch from that miss. My mind isn't really understanding all of that right now, but we'll see how it works out.

As for looks, I guess I'm a bit underwhelmed initially. Nothing really stands out to me, and the crown does remind me so much of the Burner, which was my first 'real' driver.

Took a few swings tonight, but nothing serious. Hit some decent shots with it and numbers were actually pretty good. Will be giving this on the customary full test outside and on the monitor of course, so stay tuned.

Pics...
DSCN3630-L.jpg

DSCN3631-L.jpg

DSCN3664-L.jpg

DSCN3629-L.jpg

DSCN3654-L.jpg

DSCN3641-L.jpg

DSCN3648-L.jpg

DSCN3644-L.jpg

I want to hit it.

I'll admit, when this line dropped, it got a big ole MEH from me, but having hit the fairway now. I want to hit this as well.

I'm liking the looks of this driver better than the SLDR. Lower spin off the driver plus BA BOOM with this beast, Hawk you have my attention.

I love the coloring of that thing!! :) These companies just keep pumping stuff out. Quite impressive.

The crown is really awesome. It seems like a SLDR without the sliding weight. Any feedback on forgiveness yet?

I pretty much like everything I've read so far. What I'm most interested about this driver, is whether it retains the sound of the SLDR and adds a bit more forgiveness. If so, I might not be able to keep it out of my bag.

• Staff
The crown is really awesome. It seems like a SLDR without the sliding weight. Any feedback on forgiveness yet?

I pretty much like everything I've read so far. What I'm most interested about this driver, is whether it retains the sound of the SLDR and adds a bit more forgiveness. If so, I might not be able to keep it out of my bag.

No thoughts on forgiveness yet, but will be a primary point of interest for me. The good news was I could hit it, and I can't really say that about the SLDR.

Your comparison of the looks to the burner is probably why I'm liking the looks of this line. I was a big fan of the burner line.

I'm looking forward to your review Hawk. This has grown on me the more I've seen it and I really want to try it out.

Another Taylormade driver... geez..

I'm interested, that's for sure. Low spin on hits low on the face would be a great tool to mitigate ballooning even when a player hits down on the ball, which has me intrigued.

I like the looks. The graphics on the crown and the sole remind me of some kind of sci fi stylings. I can't put my finger on one specifically, but I like it. Very futuristic without seeming to go for the look too intentionally.

The alignment at at the back but not at the front has me a bit confused. Then again, I'm not entirely sure they matter all that much with a driver.

I want to hit it. It has me interested.

Also, the "another new driver" take is tired an a misconception

I want to hit it. It has me interested.

Also, the "another new driver" take is tired an a misconception

I'd be very much obliged if the preview of a new product didn't devolve into another thread on how companies produce too many new products. It's all been done already.

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around where the JetSpeed fits with the SLDR. Is it a progression of the same technology? Are the clubs meant to serve different golf demographics and if so, which ones? This really applies to the whole line, not just the driver.

I think Taylormade needs to find a new photographer, just like for the SLDR I was just kinda meh on the looks when I saw the press release photos TM put out, but when I see in hand pics on here I always seem to think it looks much better, the blue paint seems to pop much more and looks really good to me. I'll be very interested in how this stacks up to the SLDR, I'll probably be in the minority here but I do really like the alignment aid on the crown.

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around where the JetSpeed fits with the SLDR. Is it a progression of the same technology? Are the clubs meant to serve different golf demographics and if so, which ones? This really applies to the whole line, not just the driver.

I think, given the sort of lack of real tour presence of the JetSpeed line, and a lot of the features they espouse, that it's a driver much more dedicated to fall in with other game-improvement products, IMO.

Which is funny. Drivers have long touted being forgiving, and long. Then TaylorMade goes and makes the SLDR, which is long as heck, but less forgiving (based on reviews here). The JetSpeed seems to advertise how it doesn't produce soul-crushing spin from mishits, and most of its "promote more distance" adverts in the OP, aside from the low-forward CG, seem to almost sound like, "promote more distance on mishits." I mean, I know they'll help distance on shots on the screws and square. but it seems to be much more game-improvement oriented.

I'm not a huge golf gearhead, so pardon my somewhat short-sighted question: When has a company had two drivers out at the same time that were introduced so close together yet so differently? I mean, the SLDR was the worst-kept secret on tour before its debut to the public, and the JS gets scarcely JV press comparatively.

That driver actually looks quite nice. I think the graffics on the crown are cool and not to over the top. The Taylormade guy that was doing my fitting last week said this line replaces the RBZ2 line.

Hawk has any ever told you that you can take some pretty alright photos, I mean dam awesome photography skills. :alien2:

I have to say that even though I'm over TMAG, this drivers graphics are really nice.

I like the sound of the tech, I like the look, especially the crown.
I do however also like an alignment aid near the face, if the blue dots had come further over, I think that would do the job without being too in your face.

I'd be very much obliged if the preview of a new product didn't devolve into another thread on how companies produce too many new products. It's all been done already.

A comment was made a few posts above mine. I wanted to say something about it. So I did. I will let a moderator or Thp staff member tell me if my posts are inappropriate.

Nice initial thoughts and pics Hawk. I often times hit it "thin to win" so the low low CG and reduced spin is intriguing for sure.

I really hope the forgiveness matches the R1 unlike the SLDR. Curious if this would be viewed as the R1 replacement or if SLDR was that (or neither).

The 299 grams total weight reminds me of the Altitude I'm swinging now.

It looks nice and I like the idea of a shallower face. Some of these deeper faced drivers just don't jive with me, I feel more confident with a shallower face for some reason. I'll give this a look.

Love the matte finish on this line. Just looks solid.

Curious is the speed screw in the center a weight or does it have a purpose or just for show

First of all, thanks for the comments on the pictures guys. This was actually a really hard driver to photograph. Some are harder than others believe it or not!

I'm interested, that's for sure. Low spin on hits low on the face would be a great tool to mitigate ballooning even when a player hits down on the ball, which has me intrigued.

I like the looks. The graphics on the crown and the sole remind me of some kind of sci fi stylings. I can't put my finger on one specifically, but I like it. Very futuristic without seeming to go for the look too intentionally.

The alignment at at the back but not at the front has me a bit confused. Then again, I'm not entirely sure they matter all that much with a driver.

Yea, that's interesting. Generally there is a reason for that (higher spin) low on the face. Really, it's an element of forgiveness. Low hits = low launch, so higher spin helps them get in the air and carry more. This is really the exact opposite of that way of thinking and I'm not sure how it will pan out. Only one way to find out though!

Here's a graphic about the alignment...
515x500-JetSpeed-CA-DRV.jpg

Back