TaylorMade M1 Driver Review Thread

I went to Golfsmith tonight to see what the fuss was about.

I don't get it. This has to be the worst feeling and sounding driver I've ever swung.
That's interesting, I know different strokes for different folks but first time I have heard that

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Sound aside, what were your numbers? Also what shaft did you try it with?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fuji Pro 60

And I didn't bother with the numbers. If a driver doesn't sound or feel right I don't bother and this has all the feel I expected with a carbon fiber crown.

Fuji Pro 60

And I didn't bother with the numbers. If a driver doesn't sound or feel right I don't bother and this has all the feel I expected with a carbon fiber crown.
Good thing is there's tons of options out there. Though, seems like you had a preconceived notion as to what you'd experience. And that's fine.

Fuji Pro 60

I have no skin in this game, but that's a very curious comment about the crown given that you play a driver right now with a carbon fiber crown.

I have no skin in this game, but that's a very curious comment about the crown given that you play a driver right now with a carbon fiber crown.

Forged composite vs carbon fiber. But then again the DBD doesn't feel like it. I avoided the 815 Alpha for the same reason I don't like what the M1, I don't like a dull feed at impact.

Sorry I upset everyone with my opinion. I'll get back on the M1 bandwagon.

The Forged Composite that Callaway uses does indeed have a carbon base, but it is different than straight up carbon fiber. Its why they were pretty much the first to be able to achieve a composite design that didn't sound like the carbon fiber crowned drivers of old (I'm looking at you Cobra). As far as I know, the TM is straight up carbon fiber in the rear section, as such I wouldn't be surprised for some to be turned off by the sound comparatively.

Hell everyone is different. Its not the first comment on the sound I have read, definitely won't be the last, nothing wrong with that. As with anything, some will love it, some won't.

Makes me more interested to hit it myself to be truthful.

Shoot, its just REALLY nice to see buzz around a TM driver release again. Thats a win for us all.

Forged composite vs carbon fiber. But then again the DBD doesn't feel like it. I avoided the 815 Alpha for the same reason I don't like what the M1, I don't like a dull feed at impact.

I like that feedback, gives a different perspective on the club. I cant say Ive ever related crown matetial with feel but that could be that Ive just never thought about it.

The Forged Composite that Callaway uses does indeed have a carbon base, but it is different than straight up carbon fiber. Its why they were pretty much the first to be able to achieve a composite design that didn't sound like the carbon fiber crowned drivers of old (I'm looking at you Cobra). As far as I know, the TM is straight up carbon fiber in the rear section, as such I wouldn't be surprised for some to be turned off by the sound comparatively.

I get that it's different in the Callaway clubs than other companies, but at the core, it's still carbon fiber that makes up the crown. The manufacturing method is just different with the "forged composite" crowns. It just seems like an odd thing to think about when hitting a driver.

It's alright to have differing opinions and tastes, it's why this is here, no? To talk it out with reasoning and not just make the claim and walk away. Stuff that we can all appreciate and learn from, you're a mod afterall.

I get that it's different in the Callaway clubs than other companies, but at the core, it's still carbon fiber that makes up the crown. The manufacturing method is just different with the "forged composite" crowns. It just seems like an odd thing to think about when hitting a driver.

The manufacturing process changes the overall density via how it is processed (as opposed tot he traditional layering method that looks badass like on the M1 crown) which can indeed effect the acoustics. Go hit an old Cobra ZL and then one of the recent Forged Composite crowns, extremely different. Sound is noticeable, so its not surprising that someone has a different take.

Good little article: http://www.carbonfibergear.com/what-is-forged-composite-a-new-way-of-using-carbon-fiber/

The manufacturing process changes the overall density via how it is processed (as opposed tot he traditional layering method that looks badass like on the M1 crown) which can indeed effect the acoustics. Go hit an old Cobra ZL and then one of the recent Forged Composite crowns, extremely different. Sound is noticeable, so its not surprising that someone has a different take.

Good little article: http://www.carbonfibergear.com/what-is-forged-composite-a-new-way-of-using-carbon-fiber/

Thanks, I just read that article 15 minutes ago. I guess our Googling skills are pretty similar.

Anyways, I wish my driver swing was better now so that I could give this club a proper test someplace.

Honest question and and a little off topic. But why would this matter in the feel of a driver and not forged vs cast irons. So many claim that the feel is the same in the irons.

Thanks, I just read that article 15 minutes ago. I guess our Googling skills are pretty similar.

Anyways, I wish my driver swing was better now so that I could give this club a proper test someplace.

Figured an article would help others read up on things, after all, the more info the better for everyone when it comes to a technical material like carbon/composite. I know many here prefer visual sources as opposed to what some have learned talking with the companies.

Now, with all that said.

I still want to hit it.

It's alright to have differing opinions and tastes, it's why this is here, no? To talk it out with reasoning and not just make the claim and walk away. Stuff that we can all appreciate and learn from, you're a mod afterall.

I had a brief encounter with the club and simply posted my initial response to it. Next time I guess I should be more eloquent.

I am not sure what being a forum mod has to do with my feedback but so be it.

Now, with all that said.

I still want to hit it.
Well if you would ever bring your tail up this way you could hit mine, I heard a rumor that are some good courses up here :D

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Figured an article would help others read up on things, after all, the more info the better for everyone when it comes to a technical material like carbon/composite. I know many here prefer visual sources as opposed to what some have learned talking with the companies.

That makes a ton of sense. I was being myopic in thinking that you were just replying to me. Sorry about that.

I'd love to see a review from one of the staffers on here. The off-center performance would be the most interesting part, IMO.

I had a brief encounter with the club and simply posted my initial response to it. Next time I guess I should be more eloquent.

Yup, you're right. My bad. Just wanted to know why and to reinforce that everyone is entitled to their opinion, bandwagon or not.

The tech, in my experiences, works in this thing and is a good step forward in playability by the masses for Taylormade in my opinion.

That makes a ton of sense. I was being myopic in thinking that you were just replying to me. Sorry about that.

I'd love to see a review from one of the staffers on here. The off-center performance would be the most interesting part, IMO.

Dude, its golf talk, I love that stuff. My job is to discuss it all and help to educate however I can, and different people learn differently on topics like this. All gravy.

I too am most curious on the lateral and vertical traits of the head, because beyond all else (sound/feel/spin/launch) THAT has been the killed for TM the last 2 releases, and early buzz is definitely that they have made a truly concerted effort to address that. Would love to get this on my monitor.

Yup, you're right. My bad. Just wanted to know why and to reinforce that everyone is entitle to their opinion, bandwagon or not.

I get that and appreciate it. I know this driver is getting tons of love and I am sure there is a market for it. But I am not a numbers guy as much as a feel guy and like my drivers with a more crisp and dynamic feel at impact. I absolutely loathed the 815 Alpha for having a "thud" like feel and the M1 felt the same. I did not give it a thorough workout so maybe I am wrong and with a proper fitting I can find some spark so I should definitely keep my mind open to the possibility there is a variation that works for me and my swing.

I get that and appreciate it. I know this driver is getting tons of love and I am sure there is a market for it. But I am not a numbers guy as much as a feel guy and like my drivers with a more crisp and dynamic feel at impact. I absolutely loathed the 815 Alpha for having a "thud" like feel and the M1 felt the same. I did not give it a thorough workout so maybe I am wrong and with a proper fitting I can find some spark so I should definitely keep my mind open to the possibility there is a variation that works for me and my swing.
Hey, if it don't feel right, it won't be right no matter what it does for you. All about inspiring confidence and enjoying it. But that's a good note in there that you didn't like the 815 because of the same thing.

I don't really care how it sounds, there are a few clubs out there I have not cared for sound wise like the old Cleveland Launcher and I was a bit surprised by the sound of the G30 when I hit it but if it works for me I will game it. I got my M1 today ordered it with the Aldila Rouge Black I can't wait to hit it tomorrow.. This club is the best looking driver I have ever seen and with the rouge black great looking combination. That's not why I ordered the shaft but I'm glad it worked out.

I tend to agree with you Fuppy. I LOVE the look of this, but the sound isn't my favorite by a longshot. But then again I'm weird - I loved the sound of the R11, and most hated it lol. I hit the new Big Bertha, and it didn't do a whole lot for me - but I really liked the sound. If I could get the Bertha sound and M1 looks in one club, well, that would be a great place to start!

Don't forget how much hitting indoors vs outdoors can change the way your ears interpret the sound. I have hit it both inside and outside, and while it sound a lot better outdoors. Not saying it will change your opinion that much, but there will be a noticeable change in sound.

Last edited:
Don't forget how much hitting indoors vs outdoors can change the way your ears interpret the sound. I have hit it both inside and outside, and while it does sound a lot better outdoors. Not saying it will change your opinion that much, but there will be a noticeable change in sound.

This is a good point. It did this for me with this driver as I did not care for the sound indoors, but outdoors was not too bad. Still a bit composite sounding, but not terrible at all.

Back