TaylorMade M1 Driver Review Thread

This is a good point. It did this for me with this driver as I did not care for the sound indoors, but outdoors was not too bad. Still a bit composite sounding, but not terrible at all.

Yea, good point Joe & JB. I thought about that as well. I hit it inside. I know some clubs sound changes quite a bit inside vs. outside.

Discussions like this are why this site is so much better than other review sites!

I'll have to give this a shot down the road. Loved my old cobra zl, and wasn't off put by the sound at all

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I get that and appreciate it. I know this driver is getting tons of love and I am sure there is a market for it. But I am not a numbers guy as much as a feel guy and like my drivers with a more crisp and dynamic feel at impact. I absolutely loathed the 815 Alpha for having a "thud" like feel and the M1 felt the same. I did not give it a thorough workout so maybe I am wrong and with a proper fitting I can find some spark so I should definitely keep my mind open to the possibility there is a variation that works for me and my swing.

My td5xxxx R1 tour issued shallow 460 plays,extremely similar in flight and forgiveness to the M1 with that sound/feel you speak of....

This may be the first brand new driver I've ever bought that wasn't on sale. I stopped by Dick's tonight and hit just a couple balls on the launch moniter, I was pretty impressed. 9.5* head set to 10*, set all the way to fade, CG all the way forward, and the Fuji Pro 60. My first ball was in toward the heel, launched at around 19*, 2900 rpm, total distance of around 260 and change. Not bad for a mishit and I forgot to look at carry. The second one was was closer to the middle, but not quite on the screws. Launched at around 18*, 2300 rpm, 268 carry, and 296 total. Swing speed right under 112 on both and I was getting a little bit of a fade, but balls that would still be in play. I'm going back on Sunday to rent a bay and hit some more, but with a little adjustment and the right shaft this club could be a monster for me.

Can anyone recommend a shaft that I could get a lower ball flight out of? I don't really know a lot about what shaft would fit me the best and they only have the Fuji and the Kuro. I'm going to try to hit both, but who knows.
Go with the stock shaft in your preferred flex

This may be the first brand new driver I've ever bought that wasn't on sale. I stopped by Dick's tonight and hit just a couple balls on the launch moniter, I was pretty impressed. 9.5* head set to 10*, set all the way to fade, CG all the way forward, and the Fuji Pro 60. My first ball was in toward the heel, launched at around 19*, 2900 rpm, total distance of around 260 and change. Not bad for a mishit and I forgot to look at carry. The second one was was closer to the middle, but not quite on the screws. Launched at around 18*, 2300 rpm, 268 carry, and 296 total. Swing speed right under 112 on both and I was getting a little bit of a fade, but balls that would still be in play. I'm going back on Sunday to rent a bay and hit some more, but with a little adjustment and the right shaft this club could be a monster for me.

Can anyone recommend a shaft that I could get a lower ball flight out of? I don't really know a lot about what shaft would fit me the best and they only have the Fuji and the Kuro. I'm going to try to hit both, but who knows.

Get the 9* head and leave it there. Stick with the Fujo Pro shaft and get it in the S or X flex, whichever your prefer the feel of.

Go with the stock shaft in your preferred flex

Get the 9* head and leave it there. Stick with the Fujo Pro shaft and get it in the S or X flex, whichever your prefer the feel of.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help. This is an awesome forum with a lot of great members. Man it's getting in my pocket though!!!

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help. This is an awesome forum with a lot of great members. Man it's getting in my pocket though!!!
You need deep pockets on thp.

This is actually cheaper than my last hobby, I had a RZR's before and still have a 4-wheeler I need to sell. My wife appreciates how little I spend on golf. The wheeler will probably go next Spring and be replaced with a CC membership.

Personally, I'm a fan of a dialed down sound. If the M1 is a bit dialed down by comparison to other drivers, I am actually pretty excited by the idea of it.

I need to get this thing in hand to take some swipes. Wish my course had a more robust demo collection.

i held this in hand today at gs. looks really good, sets up nice and square. i had work clothes on so swings would have been pointless, but in-hand it's a real beauty.

Or patience. The guys with deep pockets tend to offer good deals on the marketplace when a newer shiny comes out.

I will hit this driver this weekend, mark my words. I'm just too damn intrigued.

Well that was unexpected. My local range just came through in a huge way. Just got the M1 in so went there to demo it. They recognized me from demoing it last week and said that they got the 10.5 in Stock and they'd be willing to put me through an outdoor fitting for no charge as well as giving me a bonus on my trade in. They took the plastic off the 10.5 and away we went.

So out to the range the fitter and I went. I hit my driver to warm up. Hitting into about a 8mph headwind with limited distance range balls. I did what I normally do and scattered some balls about 255 or so carry. Once I was warm, he handed me the M1. Fuji Pro 60 stiff, 10.5 loft. Center and back weights. Thank god he was out there with me and I had hit my 545 first, because I would have not believed what I saw. 270+ carry on nearly every shot. I pegged the 275 sign on a fly twice. 275. Limited distance range ball. Beautiful baby draws. He was quick to point out that the M1 was launching higher and spinning less than the z545, and that is why, even into the wind, I was seeing the distance I was. I was literally laughing after some of the drives I hit. I told him I have been coming to this range for 10 years, and I have never carried their range balls 275 before.

Unfortunately, they are a smaller shop and don't carry much stock, so they were going to need to order the driver for me. I joked with him and said, hell, I'd take this one right here. He and the other owner nodded at eachother and said "no problem". They didn't have the headcover, so I will be picking that up next week, but I left with a shiny new M1, 460 head, 10.5 loft, Fuji Pro 60 shaft.

Congrats TaylorMade. You are back in a BIG way.

Well that was unexpected. My local range just came through in a huge way. Just got the M1 in so went there to demo it. They recognized me from demoing it last week and said that they got the 10.5 in Stock and they'd be willing to put me through an outdoor fitting for no charge as well as giving me a bonus on my trade in. They took the plastic off the 10.5 and away we went.

So out to the range the fitter and I went. I hit my driver to warm up. Hitting into about a 8mph headwind with limited distance range balls. I did what I normally do and scattered some balls about 255 or so carry. Once I was warm, he handed me the M1. Fuji Pro 60 stiff, 10.5 loft. Center and back weights. Thank god he was out there with me and I had hit my 545 first, because I would have not believed what I saw. 270+ carry on nearly every shot. I pegged the 275 sign on a fly twice. 275. Limited distance range ball. Beautiful baby draws. He was quick to point out that the M1 was launching higher and spinning less than the z545, and that is why, even into the wind, I was seeing the distance I was. I was literally laughing after some of the drives I hit. I told him I have been coming to this range for 10 years, and I have never carried their range balls 275 before.

Unfortunately, they are a smaller shop and don't carry much stock, so they were going to need to order the driver for me. I joked with him and said, hell, I'd take this one right here. He and the other owner nodded at eachother and said "no problem". They didn't have the headcover, so I will be picking that up next week, but I left with a shiny new M1, 460 head, 10.5 loft, Fuji Pro 60 shaft.

Glad to see you found your unicorn. I am happy this driver is finding it's way into a lot of peoples bags. A strong TaylorMade is good for golf.

Sounds liek this might be a bigger success then the R15 which will be great for taylormade

I like how 3 hours after you asked me if I wanted the srixon and you were thinking about the m1 you got it LOL.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

It is blowing my mind that so many people are seeing demonstrably better distances with this over very recent releases. I could see it pretty easily if this was a light weight longer shafted club that generates more SS. But that's not what this is. We've got a pretty educated group here who probably did a better job than average getting fitted or looking at numbers with their last driver, yet that group of people is seeing longer drives with the M1. It seems a bit weird.

It is blowing my mind that so many people are seeing demonstrably better distances with this over very recent releases. I could see it pretty easily if this was a light weight longer shafted club that generates more SS. But that's not what this is. We've got a pretty educated group here who probably did a better job than average getting fitted or looking at numbers with their last driver, yet that group of people is seeing longer drives with the M1. It seems a bit weird.
I knew I was leaving a few yards on the table with the 545. Super consistent for me, but definitely a mid spin head. I honestly didn't think I was leaving as many yards on the table as I actually was.

Playing at the same loft, the m1 launched higher and Spun less than the 545. Into the wind today it was really noticeable. Best part? I wasn't sacrificing yardage away from the center like I did with previous lower spinning heads.

Also, for what it's worth, the club feels lighter. The shaft is only a few grams lighter, and I'm not sure what the difference in head weights are, but the M1/Fuji Pro combo is easy to swing, and stood up to my swing when I really got after it

I didn't see longer distances when I hit it against my R15. Hard to beat a well struck shot from that. What surprised me with the M1 was how low the spin was but not as punishing when it isn't struck well. I'm pondering this solely for the extra forgiveness without having to give anything up. Except $500.

I knew I was leaving a few yards on the table with the 545. Super consistent for me, but definitely a mid spin head. I honestly didn't think I was leaving as many yards on the table as I actually was.

Playing at the same loft, the m1 launched higher and Spun less than the 545. Into the wind today it was really noticeable. Best part? I wasn't sacrificing yardage away from the center like I did with previous lower spinning heads.

Also, for what it's worth, the club feels lighter. The shaft is only a few grams lighter, and I'm not sure what the difference in head weights are, but the M1/Fuji Pro combo is easy to swing, and stood up to my swing when I really got after it

You gonna throw the Grandura in there?

All the chatter has me seriously pondering.

If you buy into the idea that low spin/high launch will get you longer distances (given a particular swing speed), then it would be reasonable to believe that a club that more easily generates low spin/high launch without changing swing speed could be longer.

I know in hitting the M1 (admittedly 15-20 swings) I saw consistent low spin (1500-2000).

Yes, faster is longer but there is more than one way to skin a cat.

Back