TaylorMade M2 Driver Review Thread

When changing the weight, make damn sure you get enough heat to break the bond of it turns into a huge PITA real quick.

Just used a T20 security Torx screwdriver. I tried without any heat just to see and it gave way. Just popped in a 11g weight (2 grams/swingweight) and will be heading to the range to give it a try in a few minutes.

And testing is done. M2 is now the top dog for me. Today's round proved it. Just so much easier to do what I want off the tee. KC720 expect a text from me later

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And testing is done. M2 is now the top dog for me. Today's round proved it. Just so much easier to do what I want off the tee. KC720 expect a text from me later

That's awesome dude!

12 grams of lead tape is a lot. I had fun making shapes.

I need to find a heavier screw for the back.

Last week I was in Golf Galaxy and was surprised at the number of used M drivers that were on the preowned rack. Had a hard time believing people were already reselling them.

Found one for 12.00 on eBay. Unfortunately it's shipping from China.

They come in a variety of weights (2g - 12g). It's about 2g/1 swingweight point so you might want to keep that in mind. I bought a set of 2,4,6,8,10 grams - the 10 gram one moved my M2 to about D1.5 from C6.5

Anybody hitting the M2 with speeder 661 Evo TS shaft? Wondering how it launches compared to rogue black?
I hit my M2 with the Speeder661 (original) yesterday but I've never used Rogue Black in it.

I used both shafts in my 915D2 and in that head they launched remarkably similar. Feel is the main difference between the two IMO.

Which one felt better to you?
Feel is 100% subjective so my thoughts may not matter for you.
I found the Speeder felt softer than it performed, and the Rogue Black felt stiffer than it performed. Hope that makes sense and hope it helps.

After spending the weekend playing with a lighter shaft, I loved the consistancy of hitting it 230/240 down the middle. But if I really needed to get aggressive it would fail me every time. I hated that.

So I upgraded my shaft today to the HZRDUS Black 6.0 62g. Felt great and the accuracy grouping was very I prssive on the monitor. Excited to get back out there this weekend.

After spending the weekend playing with a lighter shaft, I loved the consistancy of hitting it 230/240 down the middle. But if I really needed to get aggressive it would fail me every time. I hated that.

So I upgraded my shaft today to the HZRDUS Black 6.0 62g. Felt great and the accuracy grouping was very I prssive on the monitor. Excited to get back out there this weekend.

Crazy that about 5 grams of weight is causing you to fail? Like taping a nickel to the middle of the shaft.

Crazy that about 5 grams of weight is causing you to fail? Like taping a nickel to the middle of the shaft.

I should mentally just be ok with the distance I was getting from a smoother swing. But I can't. Knowing I can't go after it was killing me.

And only 3 gram difference. But HZRDUS black is much more stout than the fuel 50 stiff.

I should mentally just be ok with the distance I was getting from a smoother swing. But I can't. Knowing I can't go after it was killing me.

And only 3 gram difference. But HZRDUS black is much more stout than the fuel 50 stiff.

Yeah, I have a feeling this is more of two things.
1. Mental side of it.
2. Shaft properties, a whole lot more than 3 gram weight.

Heck there are tolerances on shafts that are 3 grams, especially once cut to length, gripped, prepped, tipped, etc.

Well after seeing some weird dynamics of ball flight with my B. Asha I realized I inadvertently asked for the thing to be tipped way too stiff. I am going to plug my LZ Handcrafted in tomorrow ans see what things look like.

Had alot of fun with this one yesterday on the final few holes. Something was off in my swing early on in the round. I'm working on some swing changes that have actually allowed me to loft up. I actually dialed this one up to 11deg and when I let the club do the work I saw some really nice mid-high flight with some solid carry numbers but at that setting it closed the face 3deg and everything was left of center. Not a pull or snap hook just a high tall draw. A bit too much of the draw though for my liking. Thinking of getting a higher launch shaft and bringing the loft back to a square face.

Had alot of fun with this one yesterday on the final few holes. Something was off in my swing early on in the round. I'm working on some swing changes that have actually allowed me to loft up. I actually dialed this one up to 11deg and when I let the club do the work I saw some really nice mid-high flight with some solid carry numbers but at that setting it closed the face 3deg and everything was left of center. Not a pull or snap hook just a high tall draw. A bit too much of the draw though for my liking. Thinking of getting a higher launch shaft and bringing the loft back to a square face.

Had similar experiences with M2 using 11* setting. Now I'm using the 10* setting and tip soft shaft and the launch and carry are so much better. No ballooning just good amount of spin which I like.

Yeah, I have a feeling this is more of two things.
1. Mental side of it.
2. Shaft properties, a whole lot more than 3 gram weight.

Heck there are tolerances on shafts that are 3 grams, especially once cut to length, gripped, prepped, tipped, etc.

Very true. What's the saying. This game is 90% mental... and the other 10% is mental.

Absolutely.

I grabbed demos today of the M2 and M1, both 10.5 with stock stiff shafts. Struck well they are both pound town. The stock shafts are a little too flexy or soft tipped for me - not exactly sure how to describe it. I have to back off to consistently bring the club in square, and I hit them quite high with a few moon shots. But they fly forever. M2 seems a little more forgiving, and the sound is softer. But switching back and forth I am not sure I could say I like one more than the other, outside of the lower price and simplicity of the M2. I would like to try the M2 with a lower spin shaft. The extra loft is nice for reducing dispersion, and I think bringing the spin down would make it a monster. With the stock setup my visual estimate is that I was getting about 10-15 yards more carry over my BBA815 and equal to more roll. I have one more lesson available from my set of five, and I think he has a TM fitting setup. I know he has a Ping fitting setup. I would love to work with him to see if I can find what I am looking for with the right shaft.

I grabbed demos today of the M2 and M1, both 10.5 with stock stiff shafts. Struck well they are both pound town. The stock shafts are a little too flexy or soft tipped for me - not exactly sure how to describe it. I have to back off to consistently bring the club in square, and I hit them quite high with a few moon shots. But they fly forever. M2 seems a little more forgiving, and the sound is softer. But switching back and forth I am not sure I could say I like one more than the other, outside of the lower price and simplicity of the M2. I would like to try the M2 with a lower spin shaft. The extra loft is nice for reducing dispersion, and I think bringing the spin down would make it a monster. With the stock setup my visual estimate is that I was getting about 10-15 yards more carry over my BBA815 and equal to more roll. I have one more lesson available from my set of five, and I think he has a TM fitting setup. I know he has a Ping fitting setup. I would love to work with him to see if I can find what I am looking for with the right shaft.
Did you hit mine when you were in Denver?

Just purchased a M2 driver with the Fujikura 50 gram regular shaft. Trimmed the length to 45" from the stock 45 3/4", installed a golf pride tour velvet super tack midsize grip and had the Golf Galaxy guy swing weight check it. Came out C8, so I added some lead strips to the heel side of the bottom and made it D3. Looking forward to hitting it Monday, but am hoping to get out this afternoon for a quick 9 holes and give it a go. Current gamer is a 915 D2 10.5 Diamata 50 gram regular shaft.

Will update as it goes.

Update: Got out this afternoon and played 12 holes. Hit the M2 8 times and man, what a solid feel at impact. In the last month I've played the King F6 10.5, 913 D2 10.5 Bassara shaft, 915 D3 D2 Diamata shaft and today the M2 Fujikura Pro shaft, all regular flex and 50 gram shaft weight.
Two words for the results of the 8 M2 drives today, long and straight. Can't ask for anything more. The last month I've been swinging the drivers very well, great tempo. Trying to swing smooth and I've been doing that. My ranking of these 4 drivers are;
1. M2
2. 915 D2
3. King F6
4. 913 D2

To be honest I'm getting to the point where it's confusing, hitting these drivers and trying to find something that I don't know what it is I'm looking for. Distance between these drivers is minimal and the left/right dispersion is minimal. I'm going to stick with the M2 for a month, then play the 915 D2 for a month, the King F6 for a month and the 913 D2 for a month. The difference between these 4 drivers in maybe 15 yds in distance and the left/right dispersion is hardly measurable as long as the swing in smooth and controlled.

I can't wait for Mondays round with the M2, full 14 driver holes. More to follow.

Last edited:
This was my driver of choice for RR this past weekend. It performed beyond exceptionally well and outside of hitting balls to the right as a result of an open club face I was long for me and in play in some good spots.

The sound from this driver lets me know when I catch it good and when it's a heel shot.

I feel confided when setting up to the tee with this and it's easy to align

Back