TaylorMade PIX 2.0 Golf Balls

Ganowo rubik snake

1580311633036.png

I like the new design and triple track better than the previous pix balls. I am not a huge fan of orange, but it may be subdued enough to try. Lots of balls to try out this season!

I have a very not appropriate name for the PIX images they've created here. Hahahaha

Again, its just SO reactionary. Everything TM has done the past couple years besides the SpiderX and the Truss Putters (which I think even they have confused themselves on) has been reactionary to something else in the market.

Does Rickie use the Pix ball in play? In all of the TV coverage I watch I have never seen this ball in play when they cover him.

Is it just me or does it seem like they said to themselves "O.K. Callaway went with the old school soccer ball. Why don't we go with the new school soccer ball"?

Does Rickie use the Pix ball in play? In all of the TV coverage I watch I have never seen this ball in play when they cover him.
I think I saw him play last year's version once, fup.

I feel like I prefer white golf balls, but I'll give these a try. I tried the Truvis balls in the past, but Callaway just hasn't made a decently performing golf ball for me/my swing yet. I want the opposite of soft.

Supposedly he will have it in play this weekend.

It's light year's better than the original Pix design IMO. That illustration in Molton's review shows how well this design might highlight how true your putts are rolling. In that respect the bolder design is better than Triple Track IMO, an easier to follow check point on the course and especially good when practicing your stroke. FWIW my buddy games a version of Pro-V that has a 3 line setup too, but it's even less visible than Callaway's once the ball is rolling.

I know my post will be unpopular with some but it's my honest take, sorry. I gamed ONLY Chrome Soft for several years; from their very first release in 2014 and each release to follow. While Truvis didn't help me track balls in flight or locate them better (in fact it was worse for me in both scenarios), I found Truvis to be outstanding at illustrating spin and release when working on my short game. Pix 2.0 will provide the same benefit without being cartoonishly obnoxious like their original scheme was. Also, Triple Track worked well for me lining up putts and was an even better alignment aid off the tee (for me). A 'path' just clicks better for me than a 'line' does. While I liked the alignment aid, it wasn't available on their premium ball so it was just a 'winter ball' feature last year, but the tech worked. Pix 2.0 provides a very similar, possibly bolder path.

Point is both technologies work, especially in the short game. This TaylorMade ball will have BOTH. Pile on TM if you must but why in the H3LL did Callaway not think to offer a package that provided both? And also WHY did they first release Triple Track and not include it on their best ball?

Options are great, I don't personally care 'who' offers something I see as beneficial. I switched to TP5x part way through last season as I learned the ball itself fit me better. Unlike last year's Pix, I'll be trying Pix 2.0 when it comes available here. Also I liked Chrome Soft much better back in the day when it came with a tangible benefit at the cash register too.

Last edited:
You can type Hell, Daddio, its ok. :p

These look marginally better than the first iteration, but it's a bad look overall. I can't see this competing from an alignment perspective either. Probably a great ball with bad fashion sense.

I have a very not appropriate name for the PIX images they've created here. Hahahaha

Again, its just SO reactionary. Everything TM has done the past couple years besides the SpiderX and the Truss Putters (which I think even they have confused themselves on) has been reactionary to something else in the market.

Isn't everything everyone is doing reactionary to some degree though? Titleist with yellow ProVs. You could say Callaway with the mav is a reaction to the market wanting aerodynamics. Along with everyone else.

next year I would be willing to bet next year another company has a Ti fairway wood since TM is pushing hard on that front.

The golf OEM game is all 100% reactionary. To what and whom are the only questions. Some just react fast enough that it appears they are not reacting.

All that being said, I am not sure I understand the triangles. I liked the ninja stars better.

I guess I should add, for my prior comments, I have gamed the last two iterations of the TP balls as my gamer. I thought they were the best golf ball out there honestly. Hell, last year I had more TM in my bag than anything.

This though? This is a reactionary move slapped on a really good golf ball. IMO that isn't slamming anyone, its having the same conversation I would have on any product/company that was on this trend/direction.

Isn't everything everyone is doing reactionary to some degree though? Titleist with yellow ProVs. You could say Callaway with the mav is a reaction to the market wanting aerodynamics. Along with everyone else.

next year I would be willing to bet next year another company has a Ti fairway wood since TM is pushing hard on that front.

The golf OEM game is all 100% reactionary. To what and whom are the only questions. Some just react fast enough that it appears they are not reacting.

All that being said, I am not sure I understand the triangles. I liked the ninja stars better.
I disagree. There is reacting to a trend, and then there is reacting with every one of your releases and forgoing truly unique to you innovation in almost every way.

As for the Ti thing, TM pushed that the prior year too. Also as you know they're not the only Ti fairway out there, and haven't been.

Companies react to trend absolutely, look at colors on putters, however they also still innovate. IMO, TM is 100% reactionary first, and I think there is a bigger reason for that in terms of leadership, because they still have some of the brightest minds in golf design there that I respect the hell out of.

I disagree. There is reacting to a trend, and then there is reacting with every one of your releases and forgoing truly unique to you innovation in almost every way.

As for the Ti thing, TM pushed that the prior year too. Also as you know they're not the only Ti fairway out there, and haven't been.

Companies react to trend absolutely, look at colors on putters, however they also still innovate. IMO, TM is 100% reactionary first, and I think there is a bigger reason for that in terms of leadership, because they still have some of the brightest minds in golf design there that I respect the hell out of.

Fair enough, overall I disagree. I could agree with you on the ball as a singular item. Over all, I don't see it. Maybe they will start copying Callaways core alignment as well.

haha. J/K..

Not a huge TM fan, I have tried the TP5 models and the project(a) balls but you have to give TM some credit on this, it's killing two birds with one stone. It like a tru-vis and a TT combined. I'll definitely give it a try (along with a bunch of other balls this year) and see how it works out. Not keen on the colors but that's secondary.

Fair enough, overall I disagree. I could agree with you on the ball as a singular item. Over all, I don't see it. Maybe they will start copying Callaways core alignment as well.

haha. J/K..
Contrary to what some may think, I'd have this same stance with any company on this trajectory.

I dig the new look and the TP5 is a solid ball. Don't think I'll game it over the CS, but that's a personal preference. I would be more interested if they decided to extend the 2 orange lines across the whole ball like the second image in the write-up. The mock image highlights what the triangles are trying to do really well, why not get the best of both worlds (truvis & triple track) if you're already ripping off another design?

haha. J/K..

Do you follow TM wedges?
Lets not forget the P790 caused another company to sue them over the design.
Some would argue King F9 Aero story is eerily similar.
Of course this one.

I think some view TaylorMade as innovation Kings, me included, so seeing most of their latest releases follow a trend, rather than set the trend is where the comments stem from. With that said, they have lost of lot of R&D management from Touly, Hose, TO, etc so its natural to have a bit of a slow down.

Do you follow TM wedges?
Of course this one.

I think some view TaylorMade as innovation Kings, me included, so seeing most of their latest releases follow a trend, rather than set the trend is where the comments stem from. With that said, they have lost of lot of R&D management from Touly, Hose, TO, etc so its natural to have a bit of a slow down.

Speaking of the King F9 story, I bumped into a friend last night and the first thing he says is "The SIM is the F9 isn't it". It's unreal honestly.

For TM fans, this is probably great! I love more options in the market but these aren't doing much for me.

I actually kind of like the look of these. I just might give TP5X a try when they come out.

Do you follow TM wedges?
Of course this one.

I follow all of that and I well aware. That law suite was settled. What that means is hard to say. Lots of suites get settled and that does not mean they are guilty.

Since the 790's came out how many other companies now have a similar product? None of them sell as well as the 790s. Whether it is the best or not I have no idea and is largely based on opinion. They are all good. As far as the current crop of hollow irons goes it is the one to emulate. As it is by far the best seller and it is not even close.

I do not disagree that companies copy, emulate, steal, and repeat. They ALL do it. the single largest purchaser of Callaway golf balls is Titleist. Why do you think that is? I also feel that the only company that is truly pushing tech boundaries on a holistic level is Callaway. I just do not think it is fair to say Taylormade is being reactionary on all fronts.. These products are typically in development for long periods of time. Too long from them all to be released at the same time and call them reactionary. At least not so easily.

Callaway copied a mix of edels and ping wedges for the PM grind. Edel being the first with full face, or near to it grooves. (At least that I encountered).

The ball is a reaction to truvis. I agree, TM as a whole though? I am not so sure...

The aero story has been done a dozen times. Adams did it, TM itself did it just a few years ago. Its golf fashion. It all comes around.

I follow all of that and I well aware. That law suite was settled. What that means is hard to say. Lots of suites get settled and that does not mean they are guilty.

Since the 790's came out how many other companies now have a similar product? None of them sell as well as the 790s. Whether it is the best or not I have no idea and is largely based on opinion. They are all good. As far as the current crop of hollow irons goes it is the one to emulate. As it is by far the best seller and it is not even close.

I do not disagree that companies copy, emulate, steal, and repeat. They ALL do it. the single largest purchaser of Callaway golf balls is Titleist. Why do you think that is? I also feel that the only company that is truly pushing tech boundaries on a holistic level is Callaway. I just do not think it is fair to say Taylormade is being reactionary on all fronts..

Callaway copied a mix of edels and ping wedges for the PM grind. Edel being the first with full face, or near to it grooves. (At least that I encountered).

The ball is a reaction to truvis. I agree, TM as a whole though? I am not so sure...

I didn't say it was settled or not settled. I said on appearance, the PXG came out and then the TM iron did and it was enough to sue the company based on emulation. Not sure I said anything about Callaway copying or not copying on PM Grind. In fact I dont anybody has said it was original, although their marketing made it popular again. It doesn't make the Hi-Toe any less of a copy whether they mimicked Callaway, Ping or anybody else.

FWIW, PXG wasn't first in modern Hollow Body either, nor was TaylorMade.

The sentiment that was being posted here is that none of the other TM releases came off as original, from a brand that was the absolute trend setter in tech just a handful of years ago. FWIW, your info on golf balls isn't accurate anymore, but that is for another place.

In the end golfers are smart and will decide what they view as original and what isn't. This thread seems to say that they dont think TaylorMade is being all that original with their latest releases. Whether or not its because Callaway, John Smith, Sports Authority or anybody else created it doesn't make something more or less original, so not sure why someone posting TaylorMade copied XYZ all of the sudden turns into "well Callaway does too", but its become rather par for the course on the ole interwebz.

Back