TaylorMade RBZ Irons Review - Forum Testing

Need to test my sig, this looks like as good a place as any since I spent so much time reading this thread.

Next time you need a new bag, you will need to purchase one of those cool geen/white TaylorMade bags. :D

I really considered it OG, last minute decision to go with the Ogio.

Finally got everything today. Very happy so far with everything. Had some issues early on at the range today with standing too far back and trying to stretch, wasn't pretty. I guess that's what happens when you take a break for over ten years. Got that corrected and really made some good contact with everything. Thanks again to everyone who gave such good reviews to these irons. Very happy with them and I know things should continue to improve with more practice. Have a tee time Monday morning to get some more.

Hey, this was a fascinating testing thread. I was just curious about the Rocketballz irons and now that the stores are dropping their prices I'm actually considering yet another irons purchase. I'm just an old club ho and that's the way it is.
What I want to know is this:
It's been a while since anyone posted on this thread, so who is still playing the Rocketballz irons and have they improved your game? Has anyone fallen out of love with the RBz and moved on to something else?
And who has put the RBz in their bag recently and how do you like them?

Hey, this was a fascinating testing thread. I was just curious about the Rocketballz irons and now that the stores are dropping their prices I'm actually considering yet another irons purchase. I'm just an old club ho and that's the way it is.
What I want to know is this:
It's been a while since anyone posted on this thread, so who is still playing the Rocketballz irons and have they improved your game? Has anyone fallen out of love with the RBz and moved on to something else?
And who has put the RBz in their bag recently and how do you like them?

I had a bit of trouble with jumpers from the fairway to be honest. They were already long irons to begin with, with a nice high trajectory. Unfortunately, a ball flying the green when you played the front edge number plus a couple isn't helping me.

Stock shafts were pretty good, just don't try and force them. Controlled swing goes plenty far!

I am going to give these RocketBladez a try this weekend over my R11 irons, which have definitely treated me right. Picked up a used set of irons from another member who moved on to Cleveland.

I know that this is an old thread, but I would like some quick feedback from some of the testers. I purchased these used but in great shape (200$), and I have been playing original burners with High Trajectory (a Dicks exclusive). Anyway, I am playing a nice course with my uncle and we are heading right out and with work I wont be able to hit the range. I know that the loft is kinda different and the distance longer on the RBZ.

Long post short...what are some quick tips I should take in using these without practicing? Ex: Use 1 club less than normal, etc??

Any help is appreciated.

I know that this is an old thread, but I would like some quick feedback from some of the testers. I purchased these used but in great shape (200$), and I have been playing original burners with High Trajectory (a Dicks exclusive). Anyway, I am playing a nice course with my uncle and we are heading right out and with work I wont be able to hit the range. I know that the loft is kinda different and the distance longer on the RBZ.

Long post short...what are some quick tips I should take in using these without practicing? Ex: Use 1 club less than normal, etc??

Any help is appreciated.

I never gamed the Burner High Launch irons you gamed but I do know the RBZ irons were a club longer than anything I had ever gamed. Nice high trajectory with additional distance so look for some shots coming out hawt. One other thing is take it easy on the longer irons and don't try to force those big ole heads. Good timing with the longer irons brings out some beautiful shots. If you try to muscle em, you're heading to the woodshed.

I never gamed the Burner High Launch irons you gamed but I do know the RBZ irons were a club longer than anything I had ever gamed. Nice high trajectory with additional distance so look for some shots coming out hawt. One other thing is take it easy on the longer irons and don't try to force those big ole heads. Good timing with the longer irons brings out some beautiful shots. If you try to muscle em, you're heading to the woodshed.

Listen to Ole Gray, he knows what he is speaking of on this one. Good advise Bill.

Nate
I have following this thread for several days. After about 40ty days into thread I went to Dicks and tried the RBZ. No more on the rack. Sold out. The only set they are out of. I could demo many different clubs. I was able to hit RBZ and many others. I decided on RBZ. (mainly through reviews on this site) The help at Dicks was great. It looked like I would have to order them online through Dicks. The fitter at Dicks told me to order them online and bring them in and he would help me with the rest. I was about to do that when I noticed a local retailer had them in stock for $50 less. Now down to $350 for 4i-aw. They did not give me the display set, which had the wide 4i and 5i irons. They brought out a box from the back room, I looked inside counted 8 and left. I got home and noticed that the 4i and 5i are made the same as the 6i-9i. Not the hybrid looking iron that you guys tested. It makes me wonder if you guys had the choice, which would you pick. Also why did TM change 4i and 5i at this time. I guess my question is which option would you pick? Wide 4i and 5i or match the 6i-9i. Give me your thoughts.

Nox....I actually didn't know they offered the 4&5 iron to match the other irons?! I could never get the ball airborne consistently off the deck with those 2. For me, I would have liked to see what those 2 irons might have been like without the dome backs.

Congrats on the purchase!

Nate
I have following this thread for several days. After about 40ty days into thread I went to Dicks and tried the RBZ. No more on the rack. Sold out. The only set they are out of. I could demo many different clubs. I was able to hit RBZ and many others. I decided on RBZ. (mainly through reviews on this site) The help at Dicks was great. It looked like I would have to order them online through Dicks. The fitter at Dicks told me to order them online and bring them in and he would help me with the rest. I was about to do that when I noticed a local retailer had them in stock for $50 less. Now down to $350 for 4i-aw. They did not give me the display set, which had the wide 4i and 5i irons. They brought out a box from the back room, I looked inside counted 8 and left. I got home and noticed that the 4i and 5i are made the same as the 6i-9i. Not the hybrid looking iron that you guys tested. It makes me wonder if you guys had the choice, which would you pick. Also why did TM change 4i and 5i at this time. I guess my question is which option would you pick? Wide 4i and 5i or match the 6i-9i. Give me your thoughts.

You have the RBZ HP irons. The 4 and 5 irons were changed on those over the original RBZ irons. They must have had overall negative feedback on the original long irons design.
Personally, I loved the RBZ irons but did not get along with the 4 and 5 which is why I ended up getting rid of them. Had the 4 and 5 matched like they do in the HPs I may still be using them.

You have the RBZ HP irons. The 4 and 5 irons were changed on those over the original RBZ irons. They must have had overall negative feedback on the original long irons design.
Personally, I loved the RBZ irons but did not get along with the 4 and 5 which is why I ended up getting rid of them. Had the 4 and 5 matched like they do in the HPs I may still be using them.

Parshooter I do have the HP irons. I never got to the range, ended up going to the course first. I knew this was not a smart thing to do. But it was a good day. Cold in Wis. at this time of year. Not many on the course. Course conditions were very wet and I was having trouble hitting behind the ball. This was not a good thing. Lot of bad shots, but because nobody else around we would drop another one and try again. No keeping score, just had fun. I wish that I could have hit the irons better, but I'm sure it will come around. On a good note, mishit a 7i on a par 3 over water and it slid on the ice on the pond and ended up just short of the green. ( got to love golfing in WI at this time of year)

I wanted a SW for this set but nobody has them. I ordered a new one off of Ebay. $ 79 and free shipping.

Now the long wait. Golf maybe done up here. Snow could come any day.

I had them all the way down to the lw. It was an interesting design as the wedges had a slightly different sole design, yet still matched the irons.

Still one of the best AW's I've hit in a set.

Completely agree. Don't know why but that ATV grind and I got along very well, even around he greens.

Bit of a necro....

But I picked a set of the HP's in stiff about 4 weeks ago now that they have priced dropped again. I don't buy stuff right when it comes out really. I don't have the cash flow to drop 1200 plus a year on new drivers and irons just to say I have the latest and greatest....

But about me I am 6'1 300 lbs (beer and food..it does my fatness good) and have been playing for 3 years now. I am a solid 15 handicap currently and play regularly at Broken Arrow Golf and Athletic Club in Ba Oklahoma. I was playing a set of Adams (don't laugh) X TD 3's and doing decently with them 4 - GW stock specs and grips regular flex.

I had been eyeing these since they came out but when they did I thought they were expensive and my game wouldn't match with them so I will stick with these cheapy Adams.

My first few days at the range I had to wrap my head around the extra shaft length and the offsets and found myself adjusting my setup ever so slightly in terms of ball position to find the low spot in my swing with these.

Now that I have played them a dozen or so times I have really taken a liking to them. The ball seems to come off the face with authority and even if I hit it thin it still goes close to the yardage I am swinging for vs worm burning for half.

I will say that I have to consciously think about my tempo though. The adams if I was off tempo ie a little quick I still hit the ball ok. These....#forgetaboutit. I need to have a methodical deliberate pace...and when I do the ball flies beuatifully. Which is probably good for my game overall, helps me control pacing through out the hole from tee to green.

Solid purchase at the price. I doubt the speed blades are twice as good to justify the twice the price at this point.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

I got into these in a very random way. Few weeks back since I left my 9 iron on prior hole borrowed playing partners RBZ 9 IRON FOR 135 YD SHOT, SMOOTH NON AGGRESSIVE SWING directly on line with pin, 15 foot putt.
Was also impressed by the feel on impact. That positive experience stuck with me , one week ago someone left their 7 iron at my range station, saw it and thought t looked like a RBZ, did not pay much attention to it but near end of session picked it up and it was an HP #7. Soft feel for me, if playing high ball average was 155, when hitting more penetrating rear of middle ball position carry was easily over 5 yards past 160. Not that he is old I am surely older than Ole Gray, and for me the distance and feel was impressive and effortless. Next I READ THE REVIEWS HERE, seemed pretty positive. Ponder mode begins.

Today snagged a slightly used set of the RBZ 5-PW (DARKER VERSION). Pretty sure my very reliable ping raptures will now see some amount of reduced bag time and if the RBZ #5 is awkward (not thinking it will be but noted some negativity here) can always go with the rapture #5 iron instead. Should get them in a week, will hit them all and then pull the grips and reinstall them with build up, also will take a few minutes to tweak the loft and lie if I think altering any of those will be helpful.

I got into these in a very random way. Few weeks back since I left my 9 iron on prior hole borrowed playing partners RBZ 9 IRON FOR 135 YD SHOT, SMOOTH NON AGGRESSIVE SWING directly on line with pin, 15 foot putt.
Was also impressed by the feel on impact. That positive experience stuck with me , one week ago someone left their 7 iron at my range station, saw it and thought t looked like a RBZ, did not pay much attention to it but near end of session picked it up and it was an HP #7. Soft feel for me, if playing high ball average was 155, when hitting more penetrating rear of middle ball position carry was easily over 5 yards past 160. Not that he is old I am surely older than Ole Gray, and for me the distance and feel was impressive and effortless. Next I READ THE REVIEWS HERE, seemed pretty positive. Ponder mode begins.

Today snagged a slightly used set of the RBZ 5-PW (DARKER VERSION). Pretty sure my very reliable ping raptures will now see some amount of reduced bag time and if the RBZ #5 is awkward (not thinking it will be but noted some negativity here) can always go with the rapture #5 iron instead. Should get them in a week, will hit them all and then pull the grips and reinstall them with build up, also will take a few minutes to tweak the loft and lie if I think altering any of those will be helpful.

Congrats on the new stick they are very solid the long irons are beasty in size and in distance but very solid choice

I shot my career personal best with these irons in the club championship. I have a very fond place in my heart for them ?⛳

I've thought about picking up another set of these on more than one occasion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I shot my career personal best with these irons in the club championship. I have a very fond place in my heart for them ⛳

I've thought about picking up another set of these on more than one occasion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I started to think I needed me some RBZ'S irons "just because" this is when I, for the first time, read this thread. The huge amount of positive views ( including many of your experiences) reinforced what I found on my limited swings with them. My old leg strength is not what it used to be, I need distance, figure these will keep me in the hunt for a few more years. When the leg strength gets bad enough ( 69 now) I can always move on up to the 6000 yard tees

Got the 5 - PW delivered to me 4 days ago, they were in barely used minty condition. Don't usually go for buy it now deals on ebay but because of the condition just went for the buy now price of $200. Built up the like new grips with 4 1/2 wraps 2 inch masking tape. I got them in R Flex, due to my age ( 69) and my Ping Raptures are stiff so thought it would be ideal to have an R flex option available.
Hit them at the range the next day, took me some time to get used to the R flex but left the range with a strong feeling that it is just going to get better from here. My tempo and amount of turn at completion of back swing was a little off but I hit enough good ones to convince me that these RBZ are very special indeed.

Two days later after I changed the lie to 1 degree upright, returned to range and hit at least 12 balls with each of the RBZ ' S . After getting loose I could tell that the old legs felt pretty strong and the shoulder turn, transition and tempo were good. I can honestly say these irons are the real deal, the distance with all of em, even the 5 iron is amazing. I just sold my Ping 1 20'S (nice iron) because I liked the performance and even the feel of the raptures a little more than the I 20'S . Now these RBZ'S quickly proved they perform better than my go to and trusty Ping Raptures. Did not think it could happen this quick but for now the Raptures are in the garage and likely will be sold.

For me the 5 iron carries right at 190 but I can tell there might be a little more in it. All of the others easily go at least and somewhat often even a little more than a club farther than the Raptures. They go high and deep, move the ball rear of center and they easily provide a more piercing trajectory with great distance. The 8 iron and 7 iron provide unique distances. If I am feeling strong and the conditions are right I feel I can ponder an 8 for a 160 yard shot. It is the same distance deal for the other irons in the set. These irons are traveling the same yardage that I was getting 15+ years ago, good thing for this well seasoned (older) Hacker.

The positive views of so many in this thread for the RBZ'S are right on for me. Add me to the believers.

Last edited:
Back