TaylorMade SLDR Driver - Review Thread

Check threads prior pages

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I just purchased a 10 degree SLDR S and would like for someone to explain the settings for me so I have a better understanding. Thanks!
Which settings?

Sldr s is a bonded club = no higher/ lower loft settings exist. You can tinker with the fade/ draw bias sliding weight bar on the sole, that is all you can do.

Made it to the range for the first time in a while today and was swinging better than I have in recent memory. Can't say enough good things about this when hitting well.

So after a couple of weeks with the SLDR 430 and 460 these are my thoughts and my two cents.

I have longer distance and tighter dispersion with the 430.

That being said if I feel like my swing is not as tight as I prefer I switch to the 460. The bigger head does give me a little more confidence.

My top swing speed after warming up was pretty consistent at 100 to 104. No real difference between the two. And only a one mph increase with the 430 versus the 460.

I have my best settings of 10.5 loft for the 430 and 10.0 with the 460.

Launch angles of 12 to 18 and spin rates of 2200 to 2500 without much difference between the two.

So far I have not found another driver that has fit Me any better. But the 2015 season is just beginning.

Namaste

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Just 2 posts above I was talking about how much I love the club when I am hitting well. Yesterday I played and was just hitting too many knuckleballs. Got on a monitor and had some shots around 1200 rpm and it's just not enough to keep the ball airborne. Historically I have been high launch/spin but lately something has been off.

It isn't penal as in taking penalty strokes, but missing has meant taking longer clubs on approaches. About 50/50 right now hitting a good shot and one I would have been as well off hitting my hybrid. It's definitely a swing issue as this club is amazing when hit well, but I am thinking about going back to my R1 for a little while as I work through some swing faults.

just bought a SLDR TP 12' with Aldila Tour Green shaft stiff for 200 bucks!!! Cant wait to hit it....but its winter here in Canada now....so have to wait!!! :banghead:

anyone use the SLDR with the tour green shaft?

I traded in my Callaway driver for the Sldr about month ago and haven't looked back since. Right now this driver is cash money and I'm looking to game this sucker for awhile. The only setting I have changed was the weight on the bottom which I changed one click towards draw.

I just got my SLDR recently. I'm hoping, nay, praying that I'll game this driver for a long time. (I have a reputation of changing drivers too frequently). I did get properly fitted and tested for 3 hours so hopefully I made the right choice.
I enjoyed reading your comments in here. Great stuff guys!

Swing speed 100-103. I got the SLDR in a 12* coming from an R9 Supertri in 10.5*. Hit both on a sim and was consistently hitting the SLDR 10-15 yards longer. It's been in the bag for a month and real course stats are 15-25 yds longer. With the R9 I was averaging ~255. With the SLDR my off center shots go that far and I just hit my longest drive ever at 290 last week. This club ain't no joke.

[C
Swing speed 100-103. I got the SLDR in a 12* coming from an R9 Supertri in 10.5*. Hit both on a sim and was consistently hitting the SLDR 10-15 yards longer. It's been in the bag for a month and real course stats are 15-25 yds longer. With the R9 I was averaging ~255. With the SLDR my off center shots go that far and I just hit my longest drive ever at 290 last week. This club ain't no joke.

Congrats on that. Happy with my SLDR 12 as well. It would be magnificent if I was getting on average 35 extra yards from my SLDR IN COMPARISON TO MY R 11S, IT IS JUST A LITTLE LONGER BUT CLOSE TO A DEAD HEAT. Even though I like the STOCK speeder shaft often wondered what the results would be if I could change the Miyazaki C KUA from my R11S to my SLDR, but TM keeps changing the adapter dimensions so not possible to see what my pet shaft would do in the SLDR.

You can pick up some weights for the SLDR for around $5 - $10 online. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't considering putting a pair of lighter ones in to experiment if it actually changes anything.

You can pick up some weights for the SLDR for around $5 - $10 online. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't considering putting a pair of lighter ones in to experiment if it actually changes anything.

where would I find that deal?

and he's an interesting thought. I know the new R15 has two weights you can slide around. Do you think it's possible to install another sliding weight on the SLDR?

and he's an interesting thought. I know the new R15 has two weights you can slide around. Do you think it's possible to install another sliding weight on the SLDR?
it should be

it should be

I mean besides the looks of R15 vs. SLDR? Is there any other differences between the two if you put another sliding weight on the SLDR?

I mean besides the looks of R15 vs. SLDR? Is there any other differences between the two if you put another sliding weight on the SLDR?

CG of the head and placement of the weight slide is even lower and more forward in the R15, so there will be differences.

CG of the head and placement of the weight slide is even lower and more forward in the R15, so there will be differences.

Is that mean you don't have to "loft up" as much on the R15 right?

Yeah that is what I was considering. I have seen the weights on ebay, you would have to remove the cover on the toe to change them, it is glued on. The default weight is 16 grams, the ones I see online are 10. It would add 4 grams to the head. A couple reviews I have watched on the r15 have seemed to believe that it does actually make a difference, more forgiveness but a little less distance. I know it is a different club but the concept is the same. At a minimum it would be a cheap experiment.

Maybe someone smarter than me can chime in on this, but while not exactly the same wouldn't 2 weights on the SLDR have a similar effect?

Yeah that is what I was considering. I have seen the weights on ebay, you would have to remove the cover on the toe to change them, it is glued on. The default weight is 16 grams, the ones I see online are 10. It would add 4 grams to the head. A couple reviews I have watched on the r15 have seemed to believe that it does actually make a difference, more forgiveness but a little less distance. I know it is a different club but the concept is the same. At a minimum it would be a cheap experiment.

It would be an interesting experiment. I just got my SLDR not too long ago and I really don't feel like spending more money on the R15 if that driver is much more forgiving. If adding on the extra sliding weight adds more forgiveness, hell why not right?

post-90360-0-65579500-1392739369_thumb.jpg

Is that mean you don't have to "loft up" as much on the R15 right?

Low and forward is what necessitated lofting up, lower and more forward could increase that, not decrease.

Maybe someone smarter than me can chime in on this, but while not exactly the same wouldn't 2 weights on the SLDR have a similar effect?

Who knows, its debated how much the weight slide does in the first place, I know in my testing with it I saw no real ball flight changes, especially when compared to the further back weigh slide like Bertha.

Yeah that is what I was considering. I have seen the weights on ebay, you would have to remove the cover on the toe to change them, it is glued on. The default weight is 16 grams, the ones I see online are 10. It would add 4 grams to the head. A couple reviews I have watched on the r15 have seemed to believe that it does actually make a difference, more forgiveness but a little less distance. I know it is a different club but the concept is the same. At a minimum it would be a cheap
experiment.

The weight is 16 grams but the cap and screw add a little more to bring the weight to 2 grams total

UPDATE:

Got my SLDR 12* with Aldila Tour Green Stiff.
Its a bit wintery outside but still teed up a few balls with this club.....and OMG!!!!! love the ball fight. shot a few out my back door and love the ball flight......low and straight......don't know if the tour green has anything to do with it but man...this club rocks!!!!

tried the tour green shaft on my R1....and OMG!!!! I loved my R1...but now love it even more!!!! it maybe the tour green shaft that is producing this awesome ball flights.

might keep the extra head in my bag!!! hahaha

I've seen Rick Shiels' video on the R15 driver and he stated that it's more forgiving because you can widen the weights so the head would turn less on impact. So if that's what makes the R15 driver, why not try the same concept with the SLDR?

here's his video:

Back