TaylorMade SLDR Driver - Review Thread

I've seen Rick Shiels' video on the R15 driver and he stated that it's more forgiving because you can widen the weights so the head would turn less on impact. So if that's what makes the R15 driver, why not try the same concept with the SLDR?
Uhhh, because the SLDR has one weight, not two? Or are you talking about adding an additional weight to the SLDR? If so, in theory it should work, though IIRC the SLDR weights are 2.5 grams lighter ... which could really throw things off. :wink:

Uhhh, because the SLDR has one weight, not two? Or are you talking about adding an additional weight to the SLDR?

Thats what they have been discussing on the last page, yep.

Yeah dang it ... got ahead of myself with this one. Nevermind me ...

Yeah man! hahaha no worries.
Yeah adding another weight on the SLDR can throw things off. I'll be the lab rat and add the extra weight to see if it's more forgiving.
(I've been reading the R15 thread... oh it's interesting convo going on right meow!)

Yeah man! hahaha no worries.
Yeah adding another weight on the SLDR can throw things off. I'll be the lab rat and add the extra weight to see if it's more forgiving.
(I've been reading the R15 thread... oh it's interesting convo going on right meow!)
Honestly, I think it'll work just fine.

I know it's probably a bad comparison, but it's like converting a belly putter to a CB putter ... spec's should really be the same on both products, and you're going to save a ton of money to boot. Good luck with it!

Honestly, I think it'll work just fine.

I know it's probably a bad comparison, but it's like converting a belly putter to a CB putter ... spec's should really be the same on both products, and you're going to save a ton of money to boot. Good luck with it!

Oh yeah, it can't be an exact spec comparison. It's apples to oranges. I was just curious on terms of forgiveness improvement because I've been reading/hearing how SLDR is unforgiving on mishits.

The blue sliding weight on the SLDR Driver is 20-grams. There are multiple listings on ebay for blue 10-gram sliding weights from Chjnese Sellers.

Just replace the single 20-gram weight with (2) 10-gram weights and you now have the same weight separation capability that TM says makes the new R15 Driver more forgiving than the SLDR. Cheap option compared to buying the new R15. The more you spread the weight apart, (heel and toe weighting), the more forgiving the driver should be, and swingweight remains the same as moveable weight is still 20-grams total.

This looks like a very easy and cheap experiment that just might improve forgiveness for both the SLDR 430 and 460 Drivers.

:act-up:

Who knows, its debated how much the weight slide does in the first place, I know in my testing with it I saw no real ball flight changes, especially when compared to the further back weigh slide like Bertha.

I know others had similar findings with that as well. I must be weird, I put that thing all the way on the toe side and, well.. Didn't see much of the left side of the course or fairway that day. Beags fades

The mental aspect is real for people, it really is.

I just know I tested it with multiple golfers, and we saw minuscule effects over a lot of swings.

I know others had similar findings with that as well. I must be weird, I put that thing all the way on the toe side and, well.. Didn't see much of the left side of the course or fairway that day. Beags fades

I'm with you Wardy.... I found a tremendous change with the slide. I do have a SLDR with the heavier weight so that might have a lot to do with it but I rarely find the left side of the course with mine. A lot of the guys on Tour also took out the plate towards the toe and put in a weighted toe screw to help with the towards on these

The mental aspect is real for people, it really is.

I just know I tested it with multiple golfers, and we saw minuscule effects over a lot of swings.

I believe it, and it may be all mental. If some extra toe weight makes my dumb brain think it can't go left so release as hard as you want and it'll be repeatable, I'll take that all day

So I hit the 430 TP model for the first time today... Ummmm...

The thing is, I don't remember anyone complaining about the clubs when the hit it in the middle.

Ummmm as in "I hit it so well I don't have words to describe it."?

Or Ummmm as in "I don't like it."?

The JetSpeed and I get along pretty well, and while I may be leaving a good portion of game on the tee box because I've never been fit, all things being equal, I hit this as well or better than any of the other options I've tried. While the JetSpeed isn't the SLDR/R15, I'm intrigued enough to give them a test. May not buy it, but going to give it the benefit of the doubt.

You must've really hated it then, huh? :p
With a D+ 62 in it it was... Wow.

After my fitter/instructor watch me hit the X2 Hot pro and bio cell + he said try it. I almost threw up in my mouth. Didn't like like the stock shaft much. Threw in the whiteboard and, well, I've just never hit a club like it. I tried to hit huge cuts with it and simply couldn't. I was launching it around 13 degrees and spinning at 1800. And straight. Just a tiny tiny fade. 283 average carry.

Average carry with X2 Hot pro was 265. Bio cell + was 270. Dispersion with sldr 430 was so much tighter with the 430. I don't know why.

I hit 15 Balls with each driver. I'd hit 3 and then rotate to the next. Every time I got to the 430 it was magic

While the new R15 Driver is being applauded by some for having (2) movable (slider) weights, keep in mind the SLDR Driver also has (2) weights, one movable, and one not movable. The familiar blue slider weight is 20-grams and there is also a 16-gram weight hidden beneath the toe plate. This means the SLDR has weights that were separated by design predumably for enhanced heel/toe weighting which should improve forgiveness. Because there is only one slider weight on the SLDR, only one adjustment is needed to achieve a draw/fade bias verses the two screw adjustments required by the new R15 to accomplish the same thing. Becoming wrench happy TM??

Perhaps some of TM's claimed technology benefits for the R15 are not quite what they first seem.

:angel:

I believe there is only one weight on the SLDR the toe plate is not covering a weight it covers the hole where you can change the weight there might be weight there but it is inside the club head and not removable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That esculated quickly. Hahah
There wasn't even a ponder dude. If I hadn't been hitting two other drivers along with it I would have never believed the numbers I was seeing. Even on mishits.

There wasn't even a ponder dude. If I hadn't been hitting two other drivers along with it I would have never believed the numbers I was seeing. Even on mishits.
Awesome. Love it dude. It was the longest driver I have ever played.

Awesome. Love it dude. It was the longest driver I have ever played.
I couldn't get over the dispersion (or lack thereof). My brain hurts just thinking about how a driver with a smaller head and low/forward cog could give me more consistency.

Does
Not
Make
Sense

I couldn't get over the dispersion (or lack thereof). My brain hurts just thinking about how a driver with a smaller head and low/forward cog could give me more consistency.

Does
Not
Make
Sense
Might as well quit golf. ;)

I will catch you on the quilting forums.

I am a convert myself. I just replaced my Big Bertha with a 12* White SLDR. Truth is I probably would have bought it in the first place if they came out in white to begin with. I was a bit worried by all the talk about how the SLDR was so penalizing for so many. How I got the SLDR is another story, I actually ended up with two BB drivers, one belonged to a friend that had to quit because of a bad back, I was hitting both at the range with different shafts next to a guy with the SLDR. We started talking and he told me the SLDR was a mistake that he couldn't hit the damn thing. By the time I left we swapped one BB for his SLDR so I guess that worked out good for me because I have been killing it since. When I make a bad swing I get a bad result but it really doesn't seem any worse than it would have been with BB. I still have one if I feel the need to go back but I don't see that happening.

Still in disbelief with what I experienced yesterday. Again, if I wasn't hitting two other drivers along with it I would have never believed what I was seeing with the SLDR 430

Back