TaylorMade TP5 Pix Golf Balls

I’ve pretty much gotten back to playing a white golf ball full time anymore, so I’m not rushing out to grab some of these. I won’t say I’ll never get any though. I don’t love the design aesthetics, for some reason it seems a bit harsh, but maybe that just the colors. I will say the in hand pic is definitely better than the press photo.

The in-hand pic looks much better than the graphic design, but I'll stick to Truvis if I want some design (I haven't played the TP5s, but I have liked multiple previous TM ball offerings)

The in hand pic looks ALLLOOOOOT better than the promo pics. While I like the tp5, I'd have to see it in person .. staying with Trivis for now

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I have a question about these visual aids in general. What is the real benefit? You can visualize the spin, I get that. But, if you've already hit the shot, what good does it do? The ball is going to do what the ball is going to do at that point. I've seen it mentioned that it would possibly serve as a good practice ball. I agree with that. Just don't see the benefit during an actual round.

But, maybe there is something else behind it beyond seeing how much it spins?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Apparently the whole Function follows Form concept is lost on golfers. I wouldn't doubt TM expanding these to other lines down the road for good reason.

At least they were nice enough to include chevrons all over it.

I ordered a box of these to play next weekend. I had a coupon so I figured I would take a chance. Can’t wait to see how they look at address.

Played the Pix this past Saturday, 1 ball for 18 holes. Worked right and left when ever i wanted. kinda liked it, this is gonna be my choice of ball for Injected Speed.

Fowler has them in play during the par 3 contest. Interesting.

Dang it Dan you beat me to it. I’d guess it’s just for marketing. Curious if he’s playing the off the shelf ball or they custom did some of the X for him.

Dang it Dan you beat me to it. I’d guess it’s just for marketing. Curious if he’s playing the off the shelf ball or they custom did some of the X for him.

I can’t imagine Rickie not having the TP5x with the Pix graphic in the bag.

I can’t imagine Rickie not having the TP5x with the Pix graphic in the bag.

If it was just casual play during the par 3, I don't think it's that crazy to think.

That said, I don't think it would be that hard for TM to build him some in the X.

Very cool to see him put it in play, even if t was just the par 3 comp.

They’re still ugly though.

Saw these in person and they do look better than the pictures online. That said, I will stick to my non-pattern golf balls for now.

TaylorMade TP5 Pix Golf Balls

Has anyone seen these balls???

TP5pix_Tech_no5_3_4%2520copy.jpg

Looks like Truvis has some competition.

That could be the ugliest ball i've ever seen.

Yep there is already a thread so I'm merging them.

Got gifted 2 sleeves of these and 2 sleeves of Stars and Stripes Truvis. I'm excited to try the new TP5, but initially I'm not a fan at all of the look of the Pix at any point, especially on the green. But, performance trumps all.

I'll save my money for the Penta-Trax ball coming in late 2019.

I played two sleeves of these balls and still have two left. As a baseline, I prefer the TP5X, but wanted to give these a try for the pattern.

I want to like them, but I just can’t figure out the point of the graphics. I suppose that you can see them a bit better, and because not many people play them it’s very obvious that it’s “your ball” when driving up to a group of balls, but other than that, I don’t think I see the benefit of the printing.

I am setting aside discussion of the ball performance itself, because that has been covered well and the TP5 is a very good ball.

With respect to the printing, I found two main dislikes. First, the printing/pattern does not seem to follow a single axis, meaning that then you line the ball up to putt, you do not see a consistent roll of the graphics. Basically, all of my putts looked like they were wobbling when spinning, which was strange and unnecessary.

Second, I like to focus on a single spot when hitting the ball, especially off the tee, and this ball makes it tricky. I think it’s the multi-color of the graphic. With the truvis, I find it easier to focus, perhaps because of the A/B contrast of colors. I had a similar issue with the starts and stripes, but at least I could place the ball so one pro dominant color was showing. With the Pix, I find that my eyes jump from one dot to the other while trying to keep my head down.

Of the two issues, the first one bothers me more. I would prefer fewer spots on the Pix, and to have them rotate evenly around the putting alignment mark.

Finally got a chance to put the Pix in play and really dig it. For anyone over 40ish that has to wear reading glasses (but not needed for golf), the graphic really helps getting a better bead on the ball. I'll alternate between these and the '18 Project (a), and in everything but the driver (the TP5 is obviously a bit firmer), can't really tell a difference on the course between them. The coloring on the ball, while unusual, works nicely. Grabbed six dozen for just over $200, so they'll fit right in with the stash.

Who knows what else TM will come up with down the road, especially with the collegiate logos (<--- Link) expanding to all their balls...

Last edited:
Was gifted a sleeve of TP5 from my LGS, played today, hit my personal best round of 81. I’m a 18 HDCP. The ball is nice but extremely soft, I was able to play one ball for entire round and it was so beat up I left it on the range.

So I found one of these on the course and decided to put it in play. It was a TP5 and as much as I hate to admit it I really enjoyed playing this ball.

I don’t think it’s as annoying as the pictures make it seem. The TP5 is a fantastic ball, feel, spin it has it all.

Compared to Truvis I did think this ball was harder to see in the rough but was easier to look at when hitting, maybe it’s the different colors I’m not sure.

I wouldn’t say I’d go out and buy some but it was fun for a little bit

I played one of these I found for a round and a half at Oak Tree National and actually didn’t hate it like I thought I would, though I did make constant jokes about what the ‘pix’ looked like.

It’s what I’ve come to expect out of the TP5, a ****ing good golf ball, with graphics.

Picked these up today. I normally play the tp5 but hated the fire burst/Canadian maple leaf thingy.20191005_180231.jpg

Back