Taylormade XFT Wedge

Yeah, I think it is a promo sponsored by TM to the box stores. The TM website references the end of August as the end date of the offer.

Yeah looks like everyone is doing it. In stores and online too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It took a weeks of regular use to get used to swinging a tour style wedge for the first time. I do enjoy spinning the ball and stopping or drawing it back, but I have now come to the conclusion that this particular wedge is a POS. The reason is that the removeable face has a spring-like effect on the ball, and it really sucks. For me the effect is noticeable the vast majority of the time. The fact it doesn't happen all the time means markedly variable distances. I prefer my CG14 much more to this.

coincidentally the other day a really nice pro took a look at my bag and said, "hey that's the new XFT. you know, I tried it but hated that springboard effect the face had."

anyone else notice this?

Not to me or the 19 testers we had during our review. Nor to the OEM Kevin during his wedge testing he did. Even on the launch monitor, there is no difference in numbers. SO I am not sure I understand what you are seeing with the springboard effect. We are just not seeing it. Apparently the TM tour staff guys arent either.

Has anybody else had the same issue as this guy? I have asked over 100 people over the last 2 days and not a single person has said that. Including the tour van guys that have not heard any complaints from the staff. In fact they said each week another golfer is trying them out and switching.

Has anybody else had the same issue as this guy? I have asked over 100 people over the last 2 days and not a single person has said that. Including the tour van guys that have not heard any complaints from the staff. In fact they said each week another golfer is trying them out and switching.

Yeah I read that too and my answer is no. I have another xFT wedge coming and cant wait to add it to my bag. Theyre just awesome. Have to wonder about the intentions here if you ask me.

Isn't there solid metal behind the removeable face? Not sure how it would "spring-board" without a hollow area behind it?

i have had the 60 degree in my bag for a month, I have not had that springboard effect....i love the this wedge...considering replacing the Tw9(though I love that one 2). I don't plan on replacing anything until after the outing though

I've never felt the trampoline effect either. It feels like a solid, 1-piece wedge to me.

no springboard effect here as well... the more I hit with it, the more I'm liking it... I like the XFT better than my RAC...

I've had my 54* for almost 2 months now and I haven't noticed that at all.
I think it might be mental. If you "think" there's a springboard effect b/c of the way the face is designed, then you are going to blame that for every poor shot you hit.
"It is a poor musician that always blames his instument".

Talked to someone today that put it on the monitor compared to other wedges and noticed no springboard action according to the numbers.

On my first date wih the new wedges, the faces felt very smooth when struck well and I didn't feel any spring off the face, although it seems hot and spinny. Much nicer than my old chewed up Vokeys! And the hi rev shaft is really nice to swing!

Awesome to hear WM! Congrats on the win too.

Yeah I read that too and my answer is no. I have another xFT wedge coming and cant wait to add it to my bag. Theyre just awesome. Have to wonder about the intentions here if you ask me.

okay, I'm asking you. Other than it being a discussion forum, and this being a thread about... let's see... the XFT wedge, what were my intentions?

I'm playing the xft 56* and loving it.. was a toss up as to this or the vokey. I took them both to the range and both on the course. Found i just liked the setup of the xft better and I was hitting it on target a lot easier. I think it's the straigher front edge that helps me with alignment to target. The vokey seemed to have a more rounded edge that just didn't suit my eye.
I'm getting a great amount of spin even on shots under 50 yards that I had trouble with before and I love the fact that I can simply replace the face and have that new wedge spin again!
I haven't noticed any of the trampoline effect that was mentioned earlier. I'm thinking of getting the 52* by the end of the season as well.

Im not sure where the trampoline effect is coming from. Spoke with the guys on the Tour Van friday about it as well as a famous club maker (that has nothing to do with Taylormade), and both said no way. In fact the club maker said "if anything, you would see the opposite effect, a deadening effect". The club maker then spoke about the material that is in the R9 irons and said you would see the same effect with the irons.

I hit some real nice shots with my XFT friday night on the course. It's to the point that if I were to replace my Tw9(which I also love) it would be for the XFT. I don't really intend on making that change any time soon.

Im not sure where the trampoline effect is coming from. Spoke with the guys on the Tour Van friday about it as well as a famous club maker (that has nothing to do with Taylormade), and both said no way. In fact the club maker said "if anything, you would see the opposite effect, a deadening effect". The club maker then spoke about the material that is in the R9 irons and said you would see the same effect with the irons.

Good stuff JB.

These are on my "winter acquisition list" for a backup set before the new year and new production rules roll around.

that's great, I'm glad you all love this club. I don't feel the same effect with the r9 irons, which I use and like a lot. In fact, I first started noticing something was weird when I was hitting this 50 degree XFT as far, or further, than my r9 PW, which I think is 45 or 44 or something.

regardless, it was an interesting coincidence that the word "springy" was rattling around in my head, and then the assistant pro said the exact same, unsolicited thing.

I have seen a few comments talking about the length of the club, but I'm not sure if they mean "distance" length or the length in terms of inches. If it's the former, we may be feeling the same thing but calling it differently.

anyway, that's my two cents on this wedge. I don't really like it and find it interesting the rabid defense that is being put forth. is taylormade a sponsor of this site in some way? do they supply free golf clubs for review? hey all you taylormade fans, I like the Burner Superfast TP driver and the r9 irons.

that's great, I'm glad you all love this club. I don't feel the same effect with the r9 irons, which I use and like a lot. In fact, I first started noticing something was weird when I was hitting this 50 degree XFT as far, or further, than my r9 PW, which I think is 45 or 44 or something.

regardless, it was an interesting coincidence that the word "springy" was rattling around in my head, and then the assistant pro said the exact same, unsolicited thing.

I have seen a few comments talking about the length of the club, but I'm not sure if they mean "distance" length or the length in terms of inches. If it's the former, we may be feeling the same thing but calling it differently.

anyway, that's my two cents on this wedge. I don't really like it and find it interesting the rabid defense that is being put forth. is taylormade a sponsor of this site in some way? do they supply free golf clubs for review? hey all you taylormade fans, I like the Burner Superfast TP driver and the r9 irons.

Every company supplies free clubs. I think that the reason for the defense is others like it. The reason for my response is because I dont understand the trampoline talk and wanted to get the experts info on it, so I called to find that out. Got it backed up from both the tour van and an independent club builder and posted those thoughts.

Its not a knock that you dont like the club. If you had come on and said that, I am not sure anybody would have said a word. I know I certainly would not have. But your quote was really a little different than that. You spoke about it having a spring like a effect as if it were fact, so I personally wanted to check it out. here is your quote.

"I have now come to the conclusion that this particular wedge is a POS. The reason is that the removeable face has a spring-like effect on the ball, and it really sucks."

Every company supplies free clubs. I think that the reason for the defense is others like it. The reason for my response is because I dont understand the trampoline talk and wanted to get the experts info on it, so I called to find that out. Got it backed up from both the tour van and an independent club builder and posted those thoughts.

Its not a knock that you dont like the club. If you had come on and said that, I am not sure anybody would have said a word. I know I certainly would not have. But your quote was really a little different than that. You spoke about it having a spring like a effect as if it were fact, so I personally wanted to check it out. here is your quote.

"I have now come to the conclusion that this particular wedge is a POS. The reason is that the removeable face has a spring-like effect on the ball, and it really sucks."

that is a really weird interpretation, and frankly lacking in logic. you so nicely quoted my post. Now, what did I say at the end? what part of "anyone else notice this?" is difficult for you to understand? so if I ask, "anyone else notice this?" of course it must mean I think it an obvious fact of life that there is a spring like effect.

that is a really weird interpretation, and frankly lacking in logic. you so nicely quoted my post. Now, what did I say at the end? what part of "anyone else notice this?" is difficult for you to understand? so if I ask, "anyone else notice this?" of course it must mean I think it an obvious fact of life that there is a spring like effect.

Dude that was pretty rude and very smart alec comments, jb wasnt trying to prove you wrong just that he wasnt hearing this from anyone else and had it looked into, also as a xFT wedge owner myself i did/do not see this.

"I have now come to the conclusion that this particular wedge is a POS[Piece of Sweetness]. The reason is that the removeable face doesnt have a spring-like effect on the ball, and it really spins good."

fify...?????

Based on your previous responses, I thought of a good experiment. first state your opinion and those of your friends. Then ask over 100 people taking AP English or something like that whether they think my original post somehow stated my opinion as an incontrovertible fact. Then call someone considered a world expert in the English language and the usage of things like the passive and active voice, preferably not American. Then find a mobile van with an English expert... maybe that online Phoenix University would be the closest correlate. Also run my original post through a computer that analyzes context. And then spread all this work through about four posts.

after all that, you may think, gee, I wonder why I'm going through all this trouble. In fact, that would be one effort too late.

for discussion purposes it doesn't make any sense to go on a thread and post something like, "I hate the XFT wedge" and then not bother to elaborate. when I see negative reviews online, it helps me somewhat to see WHY someone didn't like a particular club.

Back