Team Callaway Collection

Dear Team Callaway Collection Subscribers,

In 2016 the Team Callaway Collection will transition from a subscription-based program to a "flash sale" model. We'll create limited-edition items throughout the year and sell them on CallawayGolf.com. Through this model, you will take home only the items you want, and none of the ones you don't.

We'll have more details coming soon, including information on how you can be among the first to be notified about upcoming items.

Thanks for being a part of Team Callaway,

Harry Arnett
SVP of Marketing

Just got this email as well....looking forward to seeing how this all plays out.

I think the 2015 model offered a great "bang for the buck" overall.

Very interested to see if that can be maintained with this new sales model. I get why they are doing it, but have to hope it maintains value unlike the limited edition head covers they have at times for $100 each or whatever it is.

Very interested to see if that can be maintained with this new sales model. I get why they are doing it, but have to hope it maintains value unlike the limited edition head covers they have at times for $100 each or whatever it is.
Totally agree here.

This is what I'm afraid of. The $200 was a great deal and you certainly got more than your money's worth. I think with the new model that, if you are like me and you want it all, it could end up costing you 2 or 3 times as much as it would if you just paid the flat $200.

So am I reading Harry's note correctly? Instead of giving them $200 for the year they are just going to put up for sale items at certain prices and then you can choose to buy them or not? Hummmm, don't know how I feel about this?!

So am I reading Harry's note correctly? Instead of giving them $200 for the year they are just going to put up for sale items at certain prices and then you can choose to buy them or not? Hummmm, don't know how I feel about this?!
If I'm reading it the same way as you, which I am, it certainly lacks an aspect of exclusivity. I'll wait til all the details are released before passing all judgement, but dang does this guy typing this like the old model.

Dear Team Callaway Collection Subscribers,

In 2016 the Team Callaway Collection will transition from a subscription-based program to a "flash sale" model. We'll create limited-edition items throughout the year and sell them on CallawayGolf.com. Through this model, you will take home only the items you want, and none of the ones you don't.

We'll have more details coming soon, including information on how you can be among the first to be notified about upcoming items.

Thanks for being a part of Team Callaway,

Harry Arnett
SVP of Marketing

I just hope THPers update this thread when they get early notification. I don't want to miss anything awesome!!

I just hope THPers update this thread when they get early notification. I don't want to miss anything awesome!!

+1 on this!

If I'm reading it the same way as you, which I am, it certainly lacks an aspect of exclusivity. I'll wait til all the details are released before passing all judgement, but dang does this guy typing this like the old model.
So does this guy. Exclusivity aspect is gone. Also is work happens to get in the way, I may miss these flash sales. I'm really on the fence on this now. IMO it wasn't broke so why fix it?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

+2 on this

So does this guy. Exclusivity aspect is gone. Also is work happens to get in the way, I may miss these flash sales. I'm really on the fence on this now. IMO it wasn't broke so why fix it?

Many subscribers did consider it "broke" because they weren't consistently happy with what they received.

Callaway can never please everyone with the "surprise" boxes so they are eliminating that so people only get what they want.....but then it just becomes another "flash sale" potentially....and may lose it's value.

Many subscribers did consider it "broke" because they weren't consistently happy with what they received.

Callaway can never please everyone with the "surprise" boxes so they are eliminating that so people only get what they want.....but then it just becomes another "flash sale" potentially....and may lose it's value.

Agreed on all of this. After listening to Ethan talk about this, there was a loud group of people complaining, so he wanted to change it up. I have faith in them to find a balance.

They must have gotten a lot of flack from the 2015 packages, I think a lot of people that were in on the initial 2014 run were disappointed with the year after. If anything the exclusivity is higher, since X number of people are not guaranteed the hot ticket items. They are sort of running it like Club Cameron, where you gotta get it while it's hot. To be quite frank, I would think the majority of people really would only go out and buy less than 50% of the items they got in their packages individually. I mean how many times did you see on the BST the belt/hat/keychain etc. for sale?

So based on peoples comments after my question I'm guessing that my interpretation of Harry's note is correct then.

So based on peoples comments after my question I'm guessing that my interpretation of Harry's note is correct then.

Yes Big Time. It is like an "a la carte" menu now

The annoyance of a few always seem to outweigh the satisfaction of many. It's a damn shame.

The annoyance of a few always seem to outweigh the satisfaction of many. It's a damn shame.
My thoughts exactly. Can't please all the people all the time so why try.

I am hoping the exclusivity of the items will still be there and that the items are of a limited quantity.

My thoughts exactly. Can't please all the people all the time so why try.

Because for every person that liked or was accepting of everything they put out in the boxes, there were about 4-5 people that did nothing but complain and post negative stuff about their boxes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Because for every person that liked or was accepting of everything they put out in the boxes, there were about 4-5 people that did nothing but complain and post negative stuff about their boxes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And then flipping them on eBay for profit. It is the nature of the beast, and with this model Ethan is hoping to please everyone. Get what you want, and nothing else.

I'm excited about the change. I also agree with Ethan's comments earlier and think people will be SHOCKED how well the matter of making them only seen by those with an account on the callaway site (and being logged in) keeps the exclusivity. People are lazy.

I loved the boxes, after talking to Callaway in Carlsbad, I totally understand the change and am MORE excited now.

In the end Callaway is going to do what they think is in the best interest of the brand which is what I think they should do. They have been very good about listening to feedback and trying to adjust and innovate. I may not agree with it or like it all the time but I can surely understand it.

I completely understand why Callaway changed the program, I am guessing they will have a lot less dissatisfied customers that complain about getting items they didn't like with the surprise boxes. This new format will eliminate a lot of those complaints and if it keeps them making some limited edition items that I can get my hands on than I am all for it.

I selfishly am disappointed because I really liked the surprise aspect of the box as well as being a person who travels for work (especially when I go internationally) I worry I will miss some of these "flash sales".

So, slightly disappointed in the format change, but happy that Callaway will keep doing this in 2016. Hopefully it works out well so they keep doing it in the coming years.

I don't think there is anything wrong with being disappointed about the experience of a mystery box. If that's what you like, you've got every right to be disappointed that Callaway isn't doing the collection like that any longer. I'm in that boat and really feel like I missed out.

But, I don't fault them for their decision, and I am certainly not mad about it. If anything, I'm excited to see what the new structure brings. If it sucks after 2016, then they'll probably hear about it. A lot.

I don't think there is anything wrong with being disappointed about the experience of a mystery box. If that's what you like, you've got every right to be disappointed that Callaway isn't doing the collection like that any longer. I'm in that boat and really feel like I missed out.

But, I don't fault them for their decision, and I am certainly not mad about it. If anything, I'm excited to see what the new structure brings. If it sucks after 2016, then they'll probably hear about it. A lot.

Lets be honest, they can't win, they will hear about it either way.

Back