The 2014-15 College football thread (SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
But what about an undefeated power 5 vs an undefeated Notre Dame?

In theory it could happen, I doubt it ever does.

I think Notre Dame will realize soon if they want to remain in the hunt of a championship they will have to join a conference, or go undefeated.

I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see inter-conference deals for football like we see for basketball with the ACC/Big10 challenge. If that happens ND will have no option other than to join a conference. My bet would be the ACC as it is generally easier pickings.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see inter-conference deals for football like we see for basketball with the ACC/Big10 challenge. If that happens ND will have no option other than to join a conference. My bet would be the ACC as it is generally easier pickings.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ND is already in the ACC for all sports but football. They are already playing 4 ACC games a year. Within 4 years they'll be in the ACC full time for football.

Question for those that want to talk football. Do you think an independent should be allowed into the playoffs?
Certainly if there record supports selection by the playoff committee. There are very few independents left, and even ND is playing half of an ACC conference schedule. BYU, ND.....the military academies....are there any others?

ND is ND , just hate to see them drop off Michigan / Michigan State and Purdue . True they will play again in 8 to 10'years . Those games were always a battle , and I also loved the annual Stanford /USC rivalries at the end of the season . Hate to see them go to the ACC , just hate it . Was literally born with the original ND schedules in my blood . Hate to see them lose some of those teams just for the stake of ratings/recruiting .

And as a reminder to all....the NCAA has no subpoena power....if someone doesn't want to talk they will find no evidence. Whether Cam, Gurley, Manziel, UNC grading scandal, Miami agent scandal or whomever. There has to be witnesses willing to talk with evidence. If those with evidence don't talk.....no one will be found in violation.

Not being found in violation by the NCAA does not mean you are innocent.

And as a reminder to all....the NCAA has no subpoena power....if someone doesn't want to talk they will find no evidence. Whether Cam, Gurley, Manziel, UNC grading scandal, Miami agent scandal or whomever. There has to be witnesses willing to talk with evidence. If those with evidence don't talk.....no one will be found in violation.

Not being found in violation by the NCAA does not mean you are innocent.

Therefore, anyone accused/suspected is guilty? How do we decide who is and who is not?

Everyone of us has made a mistake or two, we are human . But when it comes to violent crimes or acts ( especially to women or children) . I don't tolerate that all , nor should anyone else . Personally these kids get away with too much , but the Mighty Dollar wins everytime .

If they have problems , than that is fine . Hope they get counseling , fix the problem , and be the role models they need to be .

this happens at every university . Every level of play ( amateur to professional ) , I see it as a major major problem

Question for those that want to talk football. Do you think an independent should be allowed into the playoffs?

If their ranking and SOS warrant it, why not? I think it should be best 4 teams as best as can be determined. Usually it is fairly clear by bowl time and if it is 4 independents, or 2/3 from the same conference, so be it.

Therefore, anyone accused/suspected is guilty? How do we decide who is and who is not?
I think this is part of the problem with the NCAA. NCAA investigations can be as much about politics as anything else, and while they are not binding in the sense of criminal/civil allegations, they are quite often played out in the court of public opinion. Additionally, the way the NCAA is set up, punishments almost always punish those left behind in the wake of the allegations and rarely affect the big time coaches and players who move onto the professional level before sanctions are ever levied.

In short, the NCAA is a joke. Love the product, hate the organization, and expect it to be changed wholesale in the near future.

Yes. As long as they are one of the top 4 teams in the country. I would hope the decision makers for the playoff system would take into account the independents strength of schedule. If it measures up to or exceeds that of qualified conference teams, than the independent should absolutely be in the equation for the playoff.

i got lit up pretty hard in this thread after clemson clemsoned all over themselves and blew their game against fsu, and i said fsu wasn't deserving of their ranking. i have irrational hatred toward fsu after growing up in this state my whole life, so i admit to being extremely biased. when cam newton and his father were being accused of pay-for-play, i as an auburn fan would have been furious if he was benched over allegations with no proof. i get that where there is smoke there is fire, but to date jameis hasn't been proven guilty of anything other than reciting fhritp, which my juvenile sense of humor actually finds kinda funny. the only reason i want jameis benched is to see fsu out of the playoff, but that's wrong so i think the kid should play until there's a confirmed, evidentiary reason he shouldn't.

to jb's question, no an independent shouldn't get in, unless somehow that independent actually played and beat a bunch of ranked teams and had a phenomenal sos. i can't see how any independent (not counting notre dame) could ever get in.

I think that an independent should definitely get in if they run the table.

There are currently 29 teams (including Florida State) in the "power" conferences that have a worse SOS than Notre Dame. If they ran the table, they'd surely be in. Obviously, Notre Dame's SOS is only going to improve from here on out, as well.

Bet there is a nice bruise in the middle of his chest today. Next time I guess he should put his hand up.

He's a DL for Texas, I didnt think they put their hands up. :angel:

I'm really excited about the Brooks Berringer documentary comming out this weekend.

Almost more so than football this weekend.

I think ESPN did a 60 on 60 episode of him, or whatever it is called.

By far my favorite of theirs!

By far my favorite of theirs!

Haha, everybody else wearing uniforms from out of space to change it up a bit, Oregon wears a normal uniform for a change of pace.

Once the NCAA sees the revenue and ratings they receive from the new 4 team playoff format . Positive they will push it to 8 teams in the near future. A fun time to be a fan of college football , as I'm unbiased and like all the teams

Once the NCAA sees the revenue and ratings they receive from the new 4 team playoff format . Positive they will push it to 8 teams in the near future. A fun time to be a fan of college football , as I'm unbiased and like all the teams

I think going to 8 is inevitable as well, but wonder if something else will have to give. They would be asking the top two teams to play 16 games in that scenario (if they keep conference championship games).

I think going to 8 is inevitable as well, but wonder if something else will have to give. They would be asking the top two teams to play 16 games in that scenario.
Yeah, asking kids who "play for free" to play an NFL schedule is preposterous.

I'm no huge fan of paying college athletes, but if they went that route, something would definitely have to give.

Yeah, asking kids who "play for free" to play an NFL schedule is preposterous.

I'm no fan of paying college athletes, but if they went that route, something would definitely have to give.

I can't see teams agreeing to go back to an 11 game reg season just so that two teams don't have to face 16 games, and I think some conferences would be against giving up the championship game money, but difference in money going to 8 team playoffs would probably make up for it, and it would allow more conferences to ditch the divisional system (and revert back to single table) that is causing issues with conference scheduling and creating sometimes horrid championship game matchups anyway.

Don't FCS teams already do this? And haven't they done this for awhile now?

Looks like they play 15 games if they win the championship.

They also have a 24 team playoff system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back