The 2015-16 College football thread (SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am starting to see very strong Kirby Smart rumors to the extent of an announcement tomorrow. I guess we will see then. I am guessing that Georgia Tech fans are very happy to see Richt go, I saw a stat today that Richt has as many victories over Tech as all of their coaches have over UGA since 1969, that kind of blew me away.
13-2 against Tech was Richt. Will be interesting to see if whomever comes in can come close to that.

I am starting to see very strong Kirby Smart rumors to the extent of an announcement tomorrow. I guess we will see then. I am guessing that Georgia Tech fans are very happy to see Richt go, I saw a stat today that Richt has as many victories over Tech as all of their coaches have over UGA since 1969, that kind of blew me away.

He owned Auburn and Georgia Tech.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So does the CFP playoff committee put UNC high enough where a win against Clemson gets them in?

So does the CFP playoff committee put UNC high enough where a win against Clemson gets them in?

That would be 1 heck of a leap the final week, probably not too far fetched with a few idle teams in front of them and Iowa or Sparty getting knocked out.

If that happens it could be UNC or OSU argument

That would be 1 heck of a leap the final week, probably not too far fetched with a few idle teams in front of them and Iowa or Sparty getting knocked out.

Don't forget about Stanford either, despite their 2 losses.

Don't forget about Stanford either, despite their 2 losses.

A 2 loss team out of that conference would need quite the argument to get them in. A last second win over ND I don't think does it for them over OSU or UNC if UNC happens to takes out Clemson. Especially when OSU's last showing was what they just did to UM and only lost by a field goal to sparty.

UNC's argument to make the playoff is weak. Two FCS teams this year, and their loss came against the Gamecocks which stunk this year at 3-9 (and lost to the FCS Citadel).

I think Stanford, as the PAC-12 champion, would get the nod over OSU.

Wonder if the committee would be willing to look at a team that didn't win their division let alone their conference.

UNC's argument to make the playoff is weak. Two FCS teams this year, and their loss came against the Gamecocks which stunk this year at 3-9 (and lost to the FCS Citadel).

I think Stanford would get the nod over OSU (as Pac-12 champ).

Wonder if the committee would be willing to look at a team that didn't win their division let alone their conference.

I was thinking the same thing...however...5 teams in front of UNC just lost this weekend. Which means most likely UNC is going to move into the top 10. Can you really keep out a top 10 team that just knocked off the team that has held the #1 spot the entire playoff rankings so far if they do?

I don't see Bama losing (only way someone other than UNC jumps in) so most likely I think we see a #5 OSU v #6 Stanford matchup in the Rose Bowl when the dust settles.

I'm predicting the final rankings will be:
#1 Clemson
#2 MSU
#3 Bama
#4 OU

A 2 loss team out of that conference would need quite the argument to get them in. A last second win over ND I don't think does it for them over OSU or UNC if UNC happens to takes out Clemson. Especially when OSU's last showing was what they just did to UM and only lost by a field goal to sparty.
See, that's where I disagree and I think the committee would as well. Just humoring you with some reasoning from what I understand. The committee puts so much stock on conference championships and good wins. Stanford has good wins, moreso than osu and definitely UNC (who lost to USCe). Conversely, Stanfords losses are against 2 top 15 teams and while it looks bad having a 2 in the column, their play as of late would warrant a different outcome in a game played against NW. Plus they play an extra game for the committee to watch them, meanwhile osu is sitting and home hoping and waiting for the top to stumble.

See, that's where I disagree and I think the committee would as well. Just humoring you with some reasoning from what I understand. The committee puts so much stock on conference championships and good wins. Stanford has good wins, moreso than osu and definitely UNC (who lost to USCe). Conversely, Stanfords losses are against 2 top 15 teams and while it looks bad having a 2 in the column, their play as of late would warrant a different outcome in a game played against NW. Plus they play an extra game for the committee to watch them, meanwhile osu is sitting and home hoping and waiting for the top to stumble.

I was actually forgetting about that conference championship vs USC. I still think they have to soundly handle USC though to make it an argument. OSU only has 1 loss to one of the top 5 teams by a last second field goal and just absolutely destroyed UM, who was #10. I think OSU had a strong enough showing not to be jumped by Stanford if somehow things get crazy this weekend. But I can see it both ways now after thinking about the championship game Stanford still has.

I will say I will be shocked if any of this even comes into play though. The way Florida has played the past two weeks I don't see that game vs. Bama being within 3 scores. 2 of the 4 spots are already locked (OU and whoever wins the big 10) and I fully believe if UNC knocks off Clemson they jump them in. So Standford/OSU are banking on Bama and I just don't see it.

I was actually forgetting about that conference championship vs USC. I still think they have to soundly handle USC though to make it an argument. OSU only has 1 loss to one of the top 5 teams by a last second field goal and just absolutely destroyed UM, who was #10. I think OSU had a strong enough showing not to be jumped by Stanford if somehow things get crazy this weekend. But I can see it both ways now after thinking about the championship game Stanford still has.

I will say I will be shocked if any of this even comes into play though. The way Florida has played the past two weeks I don't see that game vs. Bama being within 3 scores. 2 of the 4 spots are already locked (OU and whoever wins the big 10) and I fully believe if UNC knocks off Clemson they jump them in. So Standford/OSU are banking on Bama and I just don't see it.

Yeah, I see both sides as well. I think osu would likely be at both teams, but that's a moot point. The AP already has 6-8 as osu, unc, and Stanford, which is what I expect the CFP to be with maybe Stanford and unc flipped. So a jump over an idle team with a #1 or top 25 win (beating same team twice in a season) isn't a huge stretch.

I think Ohio State over UNC, in that scenario. Close though. Who knows what the committee will think.

In anticipation of the CFP rankings tomorrow night, I submit the following:

1. Alabama (fared better this week than Clemson, so jump them in the polls)
2. Clemson (struggled but still undefeated)
3. Oklahoma (handled OSU easily but the loss to Texas keeps them behind Clemson)
4. Iowa (just Iowa, not State; still undefeated, so stay ahead of Michigan State)

If that's how things wound up at the end of the season prior to the playoffs, that's fine by me. Facing Clemson and erasing the demons of last year's Athletic Bowl would be a good start to a run for #8.

Last edited:

3. Oklahoma (handled OSU easily but the loss to Texas keeps them behind Clemson)
4. Iowa State (still undefeated, so stay ahead of Michigan State)

Iowa state ehh? lol

I think your #3 and #4 in correct, but I dont think Clemson doing worse than Bama last week will be enough to drop them

I don't think anybody on the west coast expects a Pac12 team in the playoffs. The league was down this year and our probable champion has two losses (yeah, they were to good team but still I don't think any 2 loss team has made it to the playoffs/NC game since Nebraska).

I don't think anybody on the west coast expects a Pac12 team in the playoffs. The league was down this year and our probable champion has two losses (yeah, they were to good team but still I don't think any 2 loss team has made it to the playoffs/NC game since Nebraska).

LSU won in 2007 with 2 losses.

Iowa state ehh? lol

I think your #3 and #4 in correct, but I dont think Clemson doing worse than Bama last week will be enough to drop them
Iowa. Heh.

I guess the Hawkeyes are pretty overlooked. :p

4. Iowa State (still undefeated, so stay ahead of Michigan State)

If that's how things wound up at the end of the season prior to the playoffs, that's fine by me. Facing Clemson and erasing the demons of last year's Athletic Bowl would be a good start to a run for #8.

Did Bama really do that much better? THey both played bad teams, and both struggled with them. Bama pulled away at the very end but it was still similar.

Down, or just strong enough that they all put a hurting on each other?

I'd say it's the latter, much more than the former.

Did Bama really do that much better? THey both played bad teams, and both struggled with them. Bama pulled away at the very end but it was still similar.
It's six of one, half dozen of the other honestly ... but staying pat isn't much fun ...

If it is Kirby, I would be very surprised if the announcement is before the SEC Championship game. I would also be surprised if Kirby does not finish his duties in Tuscaloosa if Alabama is in the playoffs. Not saying that either of these couldn't happen, but this is the way that Saban operates with his assistants, and I don't see Kirby deviating from those expectations. Obviously UGA would want him there sooner if he is the hire.

If it is Kirby, I would be very surprised if the announcement is before the SEC Championship game. I would also be surprised if Kirby does not finish his duties in Tuscaloosa if Alabama is in the playoffs. Not saying that either of these couldn't happen, but this is the way that Saban operates with his assistants, and I don't see Kirby deviating from those expectations. Obviously UGA would want him there sooner if he is the hire.

I dunno, he'd REALLY need to hit the recruiting trail ASAP. These two weeks are MASSIVE in that regard.

I'm very biased, but if Iowa beats MSU i think they should be ranked #3 over OU. OU is a great team, but had that ugly loss against Texas, combined with two victories that are less impressive than their ranking: TCU (missing QB and WR), and OSU (who I think is ranked a little too high for 1 quality win and a VERY narrow escape of ISU.)

That said... if Clemson holds on to the #1 ranking... forget everything i just said and put Iowa at #4 :alien:

I dunno, he'd REALLY need to hit the recruiting trail ASAP. These two weeks are MASSIVE in that regard.

Oh, I agree that it is important, just saying what I'm hearing from the Alabama side of things (which expect Kirby to leave for somewhere).

I'll be honest, I don't care how it hashes out, 1, 2, 3, 4 makes no difference to me since OU is pretty much in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back