The 2015 Grandaddy - Chance Of A Lifetime

I don't get the equipment side of it honestly. It takes about 5-10 swings and you kind of know and we spent hours on range

Wasn't there so not too sure but I'm with you in this. Equipment Changes can give a person trouble but after a few shots, one should more less have an estimate of what their play will be like with new clubs. BUT....the added stress of being in the #grandaddy can definitely add to this trouble of being confident with new sticks, especially if you are a player that replies more on feel than mechanics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't get the equipment side of it honestly. It takes about 5-10 swings and you kind of know and we spent hours on range
it's comical

Just spit balling here for next years participants but another approach might be to use those 20 swings to determine distances of a couple of clubs, maybe scoring clubs, then work your way into ballpark distances for the rest off the results.
This is great advice, IMO. If you don't have time for all the clubs, get distances on a few and take an educated guess to fill in the gaps. Purely theoretical at this point, but I didn't have much issue adjusting for the Morgan cup after an hour on the range, so I'm hoping that is the case here. However, from what I'm hearing on the cup face irons, I might see some huge distance gains to figure out.

Only time it ever takes me a while to dial in a club is if it's wildly different from what I normally game. This especially relates to weighting as I have struggled going between the lighter shafted XR Pros to another set that has 130 gram shafts in them.

In my opinion, people should select what they are familiar with and I expect them to have a very short break in period.

Very few of us have good repeatable swings. To blame equipment for exposing swing faults is comical.

Anybody in this event have to understand that practice and lessons are required.

To think that all we have to do is roll out of bed, show up, and win the belt is comical.

For me, there's an expectation. Put in the time to get better. Stop making excuses for not playing well.

Only time it ever takes me a while to dial in a club is if it's wildly different from what I normally game. This especially relates to weighting as I have struggled going between the lighter shafted XR Pros to another set that has 130 gram shafts in them.

In my opinion, people should select what they are familiar with and I expect them to have a very short break in period.
On the flip side, it could kind of defeat the purpose of getting the highly personalized fitting from the best then going against the recommendation to stick with what you already know. I might think the opposite would be the way to go - embrace the fitting, follow the advice, cover the basics (get off the tee, basic distances, wedges) in whatever time you have, then go do your best.

On the flip side, it could kind of defeat the purpose of getting the highly personalized fitting from the best then going against the recommendation to stick with what you already know. I might think the opposite would be the way to go - embrace the fitting, follow the advice, cover the basics (get off the tee, basic distances, wedges) in whatever time you have, then go do your best.
A fair point absolutely. But then again speaking from experience I knew well in advance of the big events I took part in what my ideal fit was....

This might be a question for the entire team and not just you, cookie, but what was it that caused you all to not play as well? Was it fatigue after a long but amazing week? Was it a tougher course? Was it a food coma from comfort stations the day before? There might not even be an answer you all can give, but if there was something that took you all off your games in singles I want to be ready for it.

I think the excitement of the week, plus the travel/time change plays a part. It's not a deciding factor, but it is something that should be considered.

I think the way to get around it is conditioning, and to make sure that you get enough sleep the week before the Grandaddy. The latter is tough to do, because we are trying to get everything done back home before making the trip. But, I think extra sleep before the event is critical to keep you from wearing down towards the end of the weekend.

Honestly for me it was the new equipment. It was really tough having the caddie say "ok it's 135, what is your 130 club?", and responding with "honestly, I have zero clue, could be a couple things". This was most apparent on the first day, we got our clubs and had perhaps twenty minutes to swing them, then it was go time. For me there were more nerves the first day, by the second it was just another day of golf (at least that's what I attempted to tell myself). Personally, singles day was infinitely better than the first day, I stopped the occasional shank and made quality golf shots.

I'd suggest the participants get some practice time before the event with the Callaway product. Having to make a huge equipment change, top to bottom was very tough for me.
Thanks for sharing this feedback. Others may not see it the same way, but that's okay. It seems likely that potential participants will be wondering about this so it's good to have the discussion.

For me I don't think an equipment change would make much of a difference.... Especially if it's just been fit. I certainly know folks that would have a hard time adjusting... Which is fine because everyone is different. From my point of view you have an objective... You do your best to get it done. If afterwards you can say you gave it your all each and every shot.... Then you just got beat by a better opponent. I think #TeamRedemption will just need to focus on preparing themselves with 100% dedication and the victory will happen. #NoExcuses #MakeItHappen

Some may take more time to get adjusted to an equipment change than others. You wouldn't take as long because you are testing new equipment frequently. But for someone who may be one who changes irons once every couple years or even longer may need a longer adjustment period
Perhaps, but this was not pointing in a catalogue. Thpers were fit on a range hitting what they would be ordering for hours and working with some of the best fitters in the world. Not having "any idea" what you hit 155 yards (just making up a number) is crazy talk.

Why not just give credit to the team that put the beating on and spoiled the guys rotten? I don't see how after a professional fitting hitting the clubs and having both ball flight and data at your finger tips one could have no idea.

And I say this not to call out anybody at all, but to point out the flaw in that side of things that comes out every time it's discussed. If someone is not going to have any idea how far their clubs go after a full fitting and testing, this is not going to be the event for them.

Perhaps, but this was not pointing in a catalogue. Thpers were fit on a range hitting what they would be ordering for hours and working with some of the best fitters in the world. Not having "any idea" what you hit 155 yards (just making up a number) is crazy talk.

Why not just give credit to the team that put the beating on and spoiled the guys rotten? I don't see how after a professional fitting hitting the clubs and having both ball flight and data at your finger tips one could have no idea.

When put that way, I agree

I do know one thing. There will be a lot of over thinking things in this thread leading up to the event. My only words of wisdom are going to be these three things:

1. Play enough rounds at some different courses so your handicap will travel. You don't need to be or play like a scratch golfer. Just have an accurate handicap.

2. Take everything in and try to enjoy the experience. It really is far more than the competition and the time goes far too fast to concentrate on the matches.

3. Don't be a Richard.

Every time I get together with THPers like we did yesterday, it makes it more and more evident that this is a community you want to fight and play well for. I would be insanely proud to help bring home the belt for everyone on here if selected. But first....#TheGaunlet!

The 2015 Grandaddy - Chance Of A Lifetime

Just spit balling here for next years participants but another approach might be to use those 20 swings to determine distances of a couple of clubs, maybe scoring clubs, then work your way into ballpark distances for the rest off the results.

Absolutely! That was my approach. But for me, figuring out a golf bag that quick was not happening.

Not to be a contrarian but that is not my experience. The range time was good but for me it was just too much to absorb and feel comfortable with my distances and flights. Ex. my old FW played a fade, new ones play a strong draw, never saw that coming!

Some may take more time to get adjusted to an equipment change than others. You wouldn't take as long because you are testing new equipment frequently. But for someone who may be one who changes irons once every couple years or even longer may need a longer adjustment period

This was me. My bag had been solid for 2+ years and what I ended up with was pretty different.

Just my experience. IMO familiarity breeds confidence and to start that part was lacking for me. Everyone is different and by no means am I complaining, just voicing what I struggled with.

2 rounds with new clubs and already I have shot a nett +1 in difficult windy conditions so spending time on the range being fitted for new clubs and having the distances is not going to be an issue for me. If anything, it will be just a case of adjusting to the feel of the new clubs

We are definitely planning to play a number of different courses this year so that will help with making sure my game travels and stop me getting complacent by only playing my home course

Bring on the competition as I am ready for it

I do know one thing. There will be a lot of over thinking things in this thread leading up to the event. My only words of wisdom are going to be these three things:

1. Play enough rounds at some different courses so your handicap will travel. You don't need to be or play like a scratch golfer. Just have an accurate handicap.

2. Take everything in and try to enjoy the experience. It really is far more than the competition and the time goes far too fast to concentrate on the matches.

3. Don't be a Richard.

#3 is #1, don't be a dick!

Love it Erik, some great thoughts.

Off topic, but this is great advice from a seasoned vet.
Thanks!

When put that way, I agree
The irony is when we were winning after round 1, nobody had any equipment issues.

We got beat by a team that was better that day, just as we won on day 1 by playing great golf.

Last edited:
The irony is when we were winning after round 1, nobody had any equipment issues. I literally hate seeing this.

We got beat by a team that was better that day, just as we won on day 1 by playing great golf.

Like I said above, this should not be viewed as any type of complaint or equipment issue. It wasn't then and it isn't now. Nor is it a slight to our opponent or the fitting process. This is a "Steve has problems" issue and it's something that others might experience, so I'm sharing.

Hey, guess what?

The 2015 #Grandaddy is coming. WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?

And I say this not to call out anybody at all, but to point out the flaw in that side of things that comes out every time it's discussed. If someone is not going to have any idea how far their clubs go after a full fitting and testing, this is not going to be the event for them.

I gotta agree with this, Everyone knew in advance they were being fitted into new equipment. They perhaps should have taken notes during fitting that would have given them a rough estimate of what yardages etc they could get out of each club, then more notes when at the range while 'attempting' to dial them in (not gonna happen overnight but getting some estimate would help).

After saying this something comes to mind. At any event where there is some sort of equipment change that the competitors work in pairs at the range. One swings and the other takes notes then switch it up. Could be very beneficial as a team.

PS: Not saying this in a bad way, just saying got beat, no excuses, let's get better.

There is no magic recipe for success guys.

All you can do is play YOUR game! Play to your handicap or better and you will have a chance to win. The Zoo Crew isn't unbeatable. They are just out there HAVING FUN! Honestly it is my belief that they are just more relaxed, they aren't playing with pressure to win, they are the champs and if you want it you have to go get it.

For me personally, that's what I tried to do...stay relaxed and It worked pretty well for me. I'm not ashamed to say it, I like to have a few beverages when I play golf, so that's what I did and I think I played pretty well out there for the most part.

I didn't go get lessons, or make any major swing changes. I read a few books about the mental part of the game and I hit a lot of golf balls in the few months I had leading up to the event. I knew my swing and what I do. The equipment wasn't an issue for me if anything it helped my confidence level.

My advice be yourself, play within yourself and most of all enjoy yourself. This is the freaking #Grandaddyofemall!!!!

I'm surprised at the direction this has gone. maybe some perceive citing an equipment change as a reason for inconsistent or sub-par play is rooted in being ungrateful for the amazing opportunity and gracious time and equipment callaway and the thp staff put in. I don't perceive it that way.

I am about 10 rounds and a few range sessions deep into new equipment, and I'm still mis-clubbing and having some "issues" as I get used to the equipment. and some of the worst results are from equipment for which I was professionally fitted. sometimes it's a matter of not knowing how the club will react from unique lies that you cannot recreate in a fitting. sometimes it's knowing what the ball will do in the wind.

guys on tour struggle with equipment changes (Rory was done when he switched to Nike, right?!). heck, they even have to strategize in foursomes when they're used to playing different golf balls. it's not a matter of the equipment exposing swing flaws in the best players in the world; it's about trusting something new in a pressure situation.

quite frankly, some people's comments have been downright rude, specifically the word "comical." I respect and understand where the thought about an equipment change is coming from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey, guess what?

The 2015 #Grandaddy is coming. WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?

Quoting myself.

MUTHA EFFIN' GRANDADDY!

Back