The 2018 Ryder Cup Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Finau should’ve been picked today. Since he wasn’t, is it safe to assume that it’s Finau or Xander? If they both tank this week, would Furyk look to someone else or go with the least stinky this week of those 2?

I think Finau should’ve been picked today. Since he wasn’t, is it safe to assume that it’s Finau or Xander? If they both tank this week, would Furyk look to someone else or go with the least stinky this week of those 2?
I gotta think its 1 of them regardless especislly since one of the other viable options (kuchar) is a ass cap now.

I dont think going back 2 years for an event later this month does any good (to compare wins). You need the guys playing the best right now and i think Xander had outplayed Phil by a mile.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but I'd really like to know your thinking behind this. I know Phil has a bad rap at times, but he's outplayed Xander the last two weeks and the whole body of the 2018 season is easily more in Phil's favor. Looking at the 2018 PGA results list I see that Phil (currently 9th on the FedEx Cup list) has 1 win and 6 top 10's this season. Xander (currently 41st on the list) has 0 wins and 5 top 10's this season. Just looking at the last two weeks (the playoffs) Phil was in the top 15 both weeks (coming in 15th at the Northern Trust and 12th at Dell). Xander missed the cut at the Northern Trust and 49th at Dell. How exactly is Xander outplaying Phil right now?

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but I'd really like to know your thinking behind this. I know Phil has a bad rap at times, but he's outplayed Xander the last two weeks and the whole body of the 2018 season is easily more in Phil's favor. Looking at the 2018 PGA results list I see that Phil (currently 9th on the FedEx Cup list) has 1 win and 6 top 10's this season. Xander (currently 41st on the list) has 0 wins and 5 top 10's this season. Just looking at the last two weeks (the playoffs) Phil was in the top 15 both weeks (coming in 15th at the Northern Trust and 12th at Dell). Xander missed the cut at the Northern Trust and 49th at Dell. How exactly is Xander outplaying Phil right now?
Looking back say 6 months phil hasnt had a top 10.
Xander has had multiple.

Heck look at say the last 3 majors, Phil hasnt even made the cut in them all (missed cut, 24th place and 48th place) Meanwhile Xander has gone 35th, 2nd, 6th.

Dont get me wrong Phil played great in the late winter and early spring. But that was 5 months ago and outside of maybe 4 good rounds in the last 2 weeks he hasnt done crap frankly.

I dont think going back 2 years for an event later this month does any good (to compare wins). You need the guys playing the best right now and i think Xander had outplayed Phil by a mile.

along those lines, do you think sergio should get the nod from the euros? asking honestly, because his year has been ABYSMAL, yet he's a stalwart at the rc.

along those lines, do you think sergio should get the nod from the euros? asking honestly, because his year has been ABYSMAL, yet he's a stalwart at the rc.
Id be naive to even venture a guess as i honestly dont know much about a lot of those guys so id have to take a look at his last few months vs whoever is on the bubble.

But if hes played like trash i dont think he should get in honesty.

Nailed it.
If you go for 2 years, the edge is Xander.
Go for 1 year, the edge if Phil.
Go for current (meaning playoffs), edge if Phil.

Also i appreciate the reply and the subsequent conversation. The good news is we can both have our opinion and not get butt hurt and defensive.

Not exactly inspired or creative strategy but Furyk hit a solid double into the gap today. If Kisner or Xander win this week they are the 12th man. If not Finau is an obvious pick....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

In what scenario do you guys think Furyk picks Xander over Finau?

I think I'd pick Finau even if he sh!ts the bed this week. The only scenario where it might be a tough decision for me is if Finau sh!ts the bed and Xander wins this week. Otherwise, it's Finau all the way

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

I feel like the Ryder cup has turned into the all star game in baseball. The guys that should be there are not, it’s a popularity contest

I’d pick him, but absolutely, it’s a huge risk. I’d be banking on him being able to get fired up and pulling something outta the bag.

#FiberLaunch

If I was Bjork I’d pick Stenson over Garcia as the legacy vet pick.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I feel like the Ryder cup has turned into the all star game in baseball. The guys that should be there are not, it’s a popularity contest
Well said

Wait I missed the announcement as I was frantically drafting my team.

Who got picked!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wait I missed the announcement as I was frantically drafting my team.

Who got picked!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Phil, Bryson and Tiger.

I love Ryder Cup time. Such a different vibe.

Perfectly said.

I’m don’t like the Phil pick at all and I could be convinced to not take Tiger.

As much as I don’t like him, Bryson has earned that spot. The other two I would pick from Kisner, Finau or Schauffle.

Last edited:
Finau is believed to be the front runner for that last spot from what I read earlier and he deserves it. Really hoping he gets in!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Perfectly said.

I’m don’t like the Phil pick at all and I could be convinced to not take Tiger.

As much as I don’t like him, Bryson has earned that spot. The other two I would go two of Kisner, Finau or Schauffle.
I was against Tiger but after his back to back finishes in the majors he's gotta be on the team. That said, I think there's a better than decent chance Phil and Tiger do their best Lee Westwood at Hazeltine imitation.

Sergio, Paul Casey so far. Not really surprised yet

Let’s add Poulter to the not surprised list

And Stenson to end it out. Only surprise was that Stenson has been a bit banged up

USA wild cards certainly top the Euro wild cards. As as very non-fan of Phil, I would still much rather have him on my side than Sergio or the current form of Stenson.

Sergio, Paul Casey so far. Not really surprised yet

Let’s add Poulter to the not surprised list

And Stenson to end it out. Only surprise was that Stenson has been a bit banged up

nailed it.
Rafa has to be feeling it right now, but I get the picks.

Safe, conservative, boring, uninteresting picks from Bjorn. Matt Wallace has won 4 times on tour in that last 12 months and didn't make the team. Stenson has been injured, Garcia has no form, Casey has won once this season. Poulter is Mr Europe Ryder Cup so was obvious.

nailed it.
Rafa has to be feeling it right now, but I get the picks.

Yeah I’m kinda glad he didn’t make it, cause he’d probably be a wrecking machine out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back