The Car Shopping Thread

Also with DSG gearboxes the shifts are faster than a human, and you still can control it with the paddles. I do enjoy a nice row through the gears now and then, but auto is where I am at now.
I hear you. I love a good ole manual transmission too but theres just too many advantages with modern automatics.

We're narrowing down the candidates to test drive next month, looks like the Optima, Altima, and Camry will be the ones we look hard at. Thinking a 2014 will be best bang for the buck, since my wife is planning on giving her Corolla to our daughter in 3 years we want something we can have paid off by then.

I know none of those cars are flashy, but for me it's all highway miles and wanting enough room for the kids and all their stuff... plus my clubs, of course!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You should consider an Accord too. Coming from a Camry, its pretty crazy how much better my Accord handles. Im getting 37 mpg on the highway too.

You should consider an Accord too. Coming from a Camry, its pretty crazy how much better my Accord handles. Im getting 37 mpg on the highway too.

I was looking at those, however they hold their value a bit too well :) Even a 13 or 14 are just out of budget, as we're trying to keep it around $18-$20k.

We tried the Accord last night. Were quite underwhelmed by it in comparison to the Passat TDI, for pretty equal money.

If the wife had to pick one, she'd go for the Legacy, then the Passat, then the Accord if she had to. I suppose it's each to their own.

We tried the Accord last night. Were quite underwhelmed by it in comparison to the Passat TDI, for pretty equal money.

If the wife had to pick one, she'd go for the Legacy, then the Passat, then the Accord if she had to. I suppose it's each to their own.
The passat tdi blows away most cars in the category in most areas I think. I think the Accord is a great car, and very desirable if you plan to drive it well past the warranty. But the passat feels about 10k more expensive.

I am sad the Prius isn't getting any love after how well it was to us last week.

The passat tdi blows away most cars in the category in most areas I think. I think the Accord is a great car, and very desirable if you plan to drive it well past the warranty. But the passat feels about 10k more expensive.

That's about how we saw it as well. I think the Accord is more comparable to the 1.8T Passat's that don't have the nice DSG transmission, but the price comparison is almost laughable. I just don't have the warm fuzzies I had for honda 10 years ago. Not really interested in paying for a name.

I am sad the Prius isn't getting any love after how well it was to us last week.

Gas mileage = excellent
Fear of having to push it up a steep hill = not good

That's about how we saw it as well. I think the Accord is more comparable to the 1.8T Passat's that don't have the nice DSG transmission, but the price comparison is almost laughable. I just don't have the warm fuzzies I had for honda 10 years ago. Not really interested in paying for a name.

Gas mileage = excellent
Fear of having to push it up a steep hill = not good
Funny, I like Honda much better than I did previously, but I'm old now. Reliability and gas mileage meant little to me 10 years ago.

Even compared to the 1.8 or even the old 2.5, the styling inside and out, as well as build quality just don't compare to me. But seeing as my wife's vw has been in the shop for two weeks, the appeal of the Honda is growing.

It seems the 6-7k off TDI is a pipedream hahaha! Anyone living in Eastern PA is getting a steal!!

That said, the discounts off the GLI's are pleasing. Wife car buying could turn into Canadan car buying QUICK!

The term "break even" nowadays at a car dealership is a joke.

It seems the 6-7k off TDI is a pipedream hahaha! Anyone living in Eastern PA is getting a steal!!

That said, the discounts off the GLI's are pleasing. Wife car buying could turn into Canadan car buying QUICK!
Road trip to eastern PA and buy it!!

My buddy got his 2015 wrx limited for 33k with nav but he searched for freakin ever. Said it was a real pain as they were selling so fast locally. Real nice i was surprised with the updated interior in them

WRX all that needs to be said.....

I have been looking at one myself. Its just so hard to make the decision to get rid of my other two Subarus and just have a single all year round car, as I love to play with them and I know I'd void the warranty in the first week on a new one.

What about a WRX? They hit the dealer right around 30k.
When I was looking in the fall of 2012, at model year 2013s, the WRX was still the old body style. I just couldn't pull the trigger on a $37k (the one I wanted) WRX knowing the new model was a completely different car...and coming.....whenever.

For the record, I ended up with a brand new 2013 Ford Explorer for the same $37k.

And I've already moved on............

Questions for some others looking at getting new vehicles. Has anyone done the lease vs buy debate? I ask because I'm in the market for a new vehicle but seeing the prices of these new vehicles has really turned me off to buying a new car( I'm cheap) but the sales person was telling me about the lease options and they seem pretty nice. I drive a lot so that worries me about a less but I also feel buying a new car is pointless because by the time I've paid it off there isn't much value left in it.

Questions for some others looking at getting new vehicles. Has anyone done the lease vs buy debate? I ask because I'm in the market for a new vehicle but seeing the prices of these new vehicles has really turned me off to buying a new car( I'm cheap) but the sales person was telling me about the lease options and they seem pretty nice. I drive a lot so that worries me about a less but I also feel buying a new car is pointless because by the time I've paid it off there isn't much value left in it.

I'd suggest a Certified Pre-owned option. Most go through extra inspections, come with extra coverage of some sort (100,000 mile Powertrain with purchase) and a lower APR...like 1.9% APR for 60 months on some models.

I'd suggest a Certified Pre-owned option. Most go through extra inspections, come with extra coverage of some sort (100,000 mile Powertrain with purchase) and a lower APR...like 1.9% APR for 60 months on some models.

Thanks for the advice, I've looked that route also, and maybe it's just me or my area, but I don't really find much worth looking at deal wise. Save 10k because someone took it for a year or two and beat on it, never changed the oil, never maintained it, etc. today I wasn't even looking at extravagant vehicles, I was at the Ford Dealership looking at F150 (50k for a truck, get real), Taurus(40+k for a sedan), then there used lot I was looking at 20-30k for a slightly used anything under 50k miles.

Funny, I like Honda much better than I did previously, but I'm old now. Reliability and gas mileage meant little to me 10 years ago.

Even compared to the 1.8 or even the old 2.5, the styling inside and out, as well as build quality just don't compare to me. But seeing as my wife's vw has been in the shop for two weeks, the appeal of the Honda is growing.

Honda is a such a better car to own.

Honda is a such a better car to own.

From a maintenance standpoint I would agree

From a maintenance standpoint I would agree

Can't really think of any standpoint I would rather own a Volkswagen but I'm simple .

I found them discounted around $6K in Charlotte as their internet price.

Can't really think of any standpoint I would rather own a Volkswagen but I'm simple .

Well for starters no CVT and a hell of alot more torque. Interior design and materials are much more pleasing to me. At one point I was going to buy an Accord or Passat TDI and once I drove them back to back the decision was over. They did not feel like they were in the same price point at all. To be fair the TDIs sticker was about 4k more when both were spec'd as I would have bought.

The Car Shopping Thread

Interior design?

You mean like the radios and dash displays, that generally stop working within 5 years ?
If I had a dollar for every VW or Audi that came in with the dash half working I could retire .

I could argue this until I'm blue in the face.

People look for different things in cars .

I wouldn't own a Honda Accord for torque. It's plenty peppy for anything I would ever need to do.

If that extra torque is worth thousands in repairs over the span of probably ten years more power to you .

As for me? I want reliability and A to B for the most reasonable price.

Edit: terrible grammar sorry I'm on my phone.

Interior design?

You mean like the radios and dash displays, that generally stop working within 5 years ?
If I had a dollar for every VW or Audi that came in with the dash half working I could retire .

I could argue this until I'm blue in the face.

People look for different things in cars .

I wouldn't own a Honda Accord for torque. It's plenty peppy for anything I would ever need to do.

If that extra torque is worth thousands in repairs over the span of probably ten years more power to you .

As for me? I want reliability and A to B for the most reasonable price.

Edit: terrible grammar sorry I'm on my phone.

Well, the person talking about buying one already said he doesn't like to own them past warranty period, so cost over 10 years. Probably isn't a big concern.

I've said repeatedly the reliability and cost of ownership is appealing in the Accord, but driving the car plays a big part in my decisions as well, and there is just minimal pleasure in driving the Accord to me. Between the lack of torque, gawd awful CVT, and just the feel of driving it, it just leaves me wanting. Passing a car on the interstate is a TOTALLY different experience. We will be shopping for my wife in 6 months or so, and I would love it if she liked the Accord. It's a great car, but to me it still feels like you are driving a much cheaper car. Like I said, I really liked both until I drove them back to back.

Of course I bought neither

Back