The Cleveland Indians have changed their name…

PKorf

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
0-10
Guardians
Thoughts?

other options included:
Spiders
Buzzards
Municipals
Naps
Baseball Team

all of them have significant historical meaning minus the last one lol

Last edited:
my thoughts.....They caved and whoever they chose to do the research, failed

What are they supposed to be guarding?

This is where the disconnect comes with the rest of the country.

when you watch the video, at the end of it you see huge very old statues that are probably 80yrs old. There are 4 pillars. 2 on each end of that bridge. On eachSadie of every pillar, there are carved stone “Guardians” and each is different. They’ve long been known ass the Guardians of the city.

they are also basically right outside of the stadium: and thus…..Guardians of the city

I liked Municipals better, but Guardians will do.

At least I won't have to be careful not buying Chief Wahoo stuff for my kids.

Background for the inevitable Guardians(?) wtf questions:
I’m not one who ever needed to be careful buying Chief Wahoo merch.

I’m not one who ever needed to be careful buying Chief Wahoo merch.
You being a lifelong Clevelander, I can appreciate that.

They should totally make starlord their mascot. or rocket raccoon :unsure:

How can you be sure, Starlord and the other Guardians will not be offended?

Thoughts?

Not a fan of the name nor the logo. I get that it has some meaning, but I think it looks terrible.
as a Clevelander……and someone who believes it shouldnt have been changed. I think it looks far too similar to Indians. The name is blah. But the colors, script, everything is basically the same. If you’re going to cave and change it…….CHANGE IT

Last edited:
How can you be sure, Starlord and the other Guardians will not be offended?
This would pose a major problem lol. I’m not a fan. Too similar coloring and scripting. If your rebranding…..rebrand.

Living in St. Louis now and have been explaining the background of Guardians to all my neighbors who think they were named after Guardians of the Galaxy or something. That's disappointing, because it actually is a pretty cool name for Clevelanders. Of all the choices, it was my favorite (since they already dismissed "Tribe") - I'm just glad they didn't go with Spiders or Rockers.

Some strange logos at the end of the video though. For all the talk about distancing themselves from the Indians, that one script logo essentially just replaces the "In" with "Guar". And the baseball with wings? Looks like a logo for a single-A team.

Did like the fire and water part had to chuckle as there is no way that could have been intentional.😆

I mean, if we are so worried about hurting someones feeling, why don't they just call the team by the city. Cleveland, New York, Boston, Arlington.....ect.
why do they have to be anything
Have a field sponsor and call them the Arlington Verizons, Chicago Guarantee Rates, Atlanta Truists

Makes just as much sense

as a Clevelander……and someone who believes it should have been changed. I think it looks far too similar to Indians. The name is blah. But the colors, script, everything is basically the same. If you’re going to cave and change it…….CHANGE IT
Yeah, could have really jumped into the Art Deco theme and gone with name marks in that style instead.

Also, I'm not sure why they couldn't incorporate the statues into one of the logos. They're public statues, look cool, and would make it a whole lot easier to explain the name.

Can we not have a discussion on who is allowed to be offended by what today?

They chose a word ending in "ians" revolving around a statue they pays homage to the one thing everyone hates. Traffic.

Back