The College Thread

JF

Reaction score
College is coming up fast for me and I'm gonna have a bazillion questions to ask. Plenty of THPers are in college or recently graduated so I can't think of somewhere better to turn to for help. I just got back from a visit to U of Michigan and it is on the top of my list. My chances of getting in are solid so my biggest thing is what the heck do I do when I get there? How does one deal with a crappy roommate? How long does it take to get into the swing of things?

For comical reasons I'd also love to hear funny stories. My dad has told me some of the funniest things I've ever heard from college but he's out of material.

THPing on Tapatalk

Go out of state!

Go out of state!

Go someplace warm!

I have a bunch of other things I could add, but let's just start there.

Go out of state!

I'd love to, I really would. But bang for the buck, nothing is gonna beat UM. They have exactly what I'm looking for at a third of the price of somewhere private or out of state. Plus no travel expenses. Dad said full ride or I stay in state. When he is paying, not much debating it. Very slim chance of that.

THPing on Tapatalk

Here's how messed up my priorities were. I moved to Michigan at 20 yrs old to go to school. I blame my love of the Grateful Dead for that moronic decision.

go somewhere where you see yourself having fun and being comfortable

College rocks dude, just do your thing. The only way to get a crappy roommate is to make it that way. Don't try to force a friendship if it's not there. I'm not friends with my roommate at all, but living with him is awesome. We keep to ourselves and respect each other and our space.

Don't be afraid to make friends and do stupid stuff with said friends. Having the freedom that college allows is awesome, so have fun with it.

My biggest bit of advice in your first year:

Just go with it and be sociable.

What I mean by that is, so many kids don't give it enough time. They get there, don't enjoy the first month and leave. Also, by being sociable, I don't mean you have to party, but during first year it's important to take part in a lot, it's the best way to make friends. There are always on campus events, go check them out. Don't be that kid who sits in his room the entire time.

Also don't be scared by those first mid-term marks. Just about all of my first year courses, the averages were extremely low on the first mid-terms, but after that you catch on to a routine and study habits that work and don't work.

Here's how messed up my priorities were. I moved to Michigan at 20 yrs old to go to school. I blame my love of the Grateful Dead for that moronic decision.

The Grateful Dead are awesome. Sounds like your college experience was a success.

Get away from home.

Hawk where did you go?

The only thing, honestly, I didn't like about UM was the weather. I can handle it, I'll be somewhere warm soon enough, unless god forbid I can't find a job in the south.

THPing on Tapatalk

this thread brings back memories now. Esp what Dam said about doing stupid things with friends. I'm actually having dinner tonight with one of my college friends.

try to meet as many people as possible. Some of these strangers will be friends for the rest of your life.

Hawk where did you go?

The only thing, honestly, I didn't like about UM was the weather. I can handle it, I'll be somewhere warm soon enough, unless god forbid I can't find a job in the south.

THPing on Tapatalk

I went to GRCC for their culinary program. Great school really. I moved over 1000 miles to go there. Just wished I picked somewhere warm while I was still young.

I went to GRCC for their culinary program. Great school really. I moved over 1000 miles to go there. Just wished I picked somewhere warm while I was still young.

I'm taking classes there next year to knock out gen eds (senior in HS next yr). Anything special I'd need to know for three hours or so a day?

THPing on Tapatalk

Some awesome advice in this thread. One more thing Jack: I know your dad is paying and wants you to stay in state, but apply to a bunch of schools. The more the better. I'm sure UM is awesome, but definitely look other places, just in case.

One of my good friends didn't apply to many schools and got into the one his dad wanted him to go to, so rather than even considering other options, he went there. Now he's unhappy and probably isn't going back to school next semester. Ironically enough, the school in question is UM.

Basically just don't limit your options. Keep an open mind. Heck, I originally didn't want to apply to Clemson (it was a safety school and I already had a few of those), but my parents made me apply so I would have more options. Now I'm here and I couldn't be happier.

My son had a chance to play football at Hope college.
Had an offer and was sitting talking to the coach, then the price came into affect. Division 3= no scholarship money.

He decided to attend Central Michigan, living there.
He is stoked!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Just have fun. Join a fraternity if you think it is for you.. It was one of the best decisions I ever made.

Just live it up, 4 years go so fast man. College is what you make it

TapaTalk from the iPhone

Some awesome advice in this thread. One more thing Jack: I know your dad is paying and wants you to stay in state, but apply to a bunch of schools. The more the better. I'm sure UM is awesome, but definitely look other places, just in case.

One of my good friends didn't apply to many schools and got into the one his dad wanted him to go to, so rather than even considering other options, he went there. Now he's unhappy and probably isn't going back to school next semester. Ironically enough, the school in question is UM.

Basically just don't limit your options. Keep an open mind. Heck, I originally didn't want to apply to Clemson (it was a safety school and I already had a few of those), but my parents made me apply so I would have more options. Now I'm here and I couldn't be happier.

Really good advice. You never want to feel stuck. I visited 6-7 universities and applied to 6 I think. Then I was able to make my decision based on what I wanted.

Really good advice. You never want to feel stuck. I visited 6-7 universities and applied to 6 I think. Then I was able to make my decision based on what I wanted.

Yeah I originally had 5 or 6 on my list, but I ended up applying to 12-14 or something like that. Gave me lots of options when decision time came around.

Yeah I originally had 5 or 6 on my list, but I ended up applying to 12-14 or something like that. Gave me lots of options when decision time came around.

Good god haha All of those forums to fill out. I thought doing 6 was bad.

Good god haha All of those forums to fill out. I thought doing 6 was bad.

Yeah haha. And that leads me to more advice: start your apps early. Don't be one of the kids doing them all the way up to the deadline. Colleges spend more time looking at you if your application gets there before the huge rush just before the deadline.

Just have fun. Join a fraternity if you think it is for you.. It was one of the best decisions I ever made.

Just live it up, 4 years go so fast man. College is what you make it

TapaTalk from the iPhone

Bolded part for emphasis above. It wasn't for me at all, I didn't join a frat, it didn't hurt my experience at all.

Another thing: take classes and do things that are out of your comfort zone. You'll be surprised at what you learn both in and out of the classroom.

Back