The College Thread

College is coming up fast for me and I'm gonna have a bazillion questions to ask. Plenty of THPers are in college or recently graduated so I can't think of somewhere better to turn to for help. I just got back from a visit to U of Michigan and it is on the top of my list. My chances of getting in are solid so my biggest thing is what the heck do I do when I get there? How does one deal with a crappy roommate? How long does it take to get into the swing of things?

For comical reasons I'd also love to hear funny stories. My dad has told me some of the funniest things I've ever heard from college but he's out of material.

THPing on Tapatalk

I would be more than willing to accompany you to the big game at The Big House. I could show you how to deal with an Ohio State fan sitting next to you! GO BLUE!!!!

I went to Fresno State where I was tutored by Nick Watney's Uncle. His wisdom worked for many years but now sadly my game is on life support.

I just graduated in 2011 so I'm available for PM anytime you might have questions JF, I remember a great deal about the whole application and fact-finding process. And in terms of funny stories, I'm afraid most (ok, all) of my stories are too inappropriate to post here haha

This comes from someone who had more than his fair share of fun: remember why you are there. Have fun, enjoy college - it is really a great time, maybe the best time of your whole life - but you really have to keep your priorities straight or you can become one of the guys that flunks out but has a years worth of stories to tell for the rest of his life. There is NOTHING worse than being the guy that heads home and has to tell everyone he flunked out. Don't be that guy.

I went to Cal because it was away from home but close enough that I could easily get back if I wanted or needed to. I loved the huge campus, student body population and inclusion in a mainstream sports conference. I ended up in a fraternity and loved it, but you really need your ducks in a row to make that work. Michigan is a top notch institution. If it feels right and you think it is a good fit for you then go for it; you could clearly do much worse.

Story:

I had been on campus for maybe 2 months. Hadn't made a single friend. Big campuses can be hard that way. But I was pretty independent and self sufficient so I wasn't feeling sorry for myself or anything. I was lonely but really hitting the books hard and working out every day, so it was okay. I was busy, I was kicking butt academically, I was lean and mean. Glass is half full.

So one day I was in the middle of the main plaza minding my own business and a really cute girl approached me. We chatted for a several minutes. Then she invited me to come to her house the next Saturday night; there was talk of dinner and drinks. My 19ish year old mind: Girl? Check. Drinks? Check. House (read: alone)? Check. Hell yeah, sign me up! I was on top of the world...obviously I had some serious game but it had merely been dormant because I was hitting the books so hard. I walked away standing tall and my chest puffed out. King of the world.

Fast forward to Saturday. I drove to the house, which was in a part of Oakland I wasn't familiar with at all. The house didn't look like any place students I knew would be living. But what the hell, a cute girl was inside so what did I care where she lived? I knocked on the door and a guy answered. Hmm. I asked for the girl and he said something like she is in the kitchen making dinner "for us". WTF? (I don't know for sure but I imagine my head kind of tilted to the side like a confused dog at this point). I nervously went in then he asked me for a contribution toward dinner. WTF, part duex??? I was seriously confused. In the midst of trying to piece this together I noticed maybe 6 or 7 other people sitting in the living room with equally stupidied looks on their faces. Come to find out this was a house of Moonies and this was a recruitment dinner. I high tailed it out of there without ever seeing the girl again. Needless to say, no dinner, no drinks, no - uh hum - "fun". I felt sorry for myself for a bit, then ultimately laughed about it pretty hard. True story.

Thanks guys. This thread is aesome.

THPing on Tapatalk

My advice. Have fun, but work hard. I'm struggling with the second part of that.

As a recent graduate the best advice I can give you is DO YOUR S**T!!! Lol it seems so simple but I've seen wayyyyy too many freshman (including plenty of my friends) flunk out and end up doing nothing. College should be fun, and you'll have a blast I'm sure but the bigger goal in mind is graduating with a good GPA so you can go on to get a nice job. Too many people think it's just a big party and dont do their work. Now when you balance the work / grades with some good ol fun and crazy times it becomes one of the best moments of your life. My final word: Moderation

Add me to the "go somewhere warm" group.

I'm glad for everything my life has brought me, but I wish I had gone south for uni.

On the college thing, don't force anything, make scheduled trips to the library to unplug and hammer the books, and just have fun.

Lol man what's up with the "go warm" thing. Hahaha what if he likes skiing or snowboarding. Ton of colleges have teams or clubs which are a blast and a great way to enjoy the winter. (Can you tell I live in very snowy state?)

Lol man what's up with the "go warm" thing. Hahaha what if he likes skiing or snowboarding. Ton of colleges have teams or clubs which are a blast and a great way to enjoy the winter. (Can you tell I live in very snowy state?)

There is almost nothing I hate more than snow.

THPing on Tapatalk

THPing on Tapatalk

Well that put an end to that discussion

THPing on Tapatalk

Going south and to a college with a golf course was the best thing about my college decision.

Come to Canada, we have tonnes of warm places.

My biggest piece of advise to you is, prioritize your school, most students look at college as a time to have fun, I have a friend who started in my program, joined a sorority, failed all her classes and has wasted the last 4 years of her life retaking classes.

When you get to the end and are applying to grad school you'll thank me. Go to office hours, and use tutors and review sessions to make sure you pass.

Also apply everywhere go to out of state if you can, for graduate school I'm applying to some of the top 50 schools for my PhD if I can get into to a good program

Random thoughts:
1) Regardless of how easy you find high school, college is actually tough (not every single class). You will have the resources to be successful, but you do have to use them.
2) Study hard and get that GPA up high early. The classes only get harder, and the further you get, the harder it is to move the GPA in either direction.
3) There will be more distractions available than you can apprehend. That is both a plus and a minus.
4) Don't go home every weekend, particularly in your freshman year. It's a nice time to catch up from the week, plus the football weekends are a blast.
5) You will meet a ton of people, and quite a few of them are not ready to be away from home, and in turn are doing all the things that will ensure they are back there very quickly.
6) You are competing against all your classmates for the job you want to land (or the grad school slot) when you're done. The employers do care that you are well-rounded, but having better grades than the classmates will get you the interviews.
7) It's a whole new, incredible, awesome, scary world...and it's years you will always remember and wish to have back.

Random thoughts:
1) Regardless of how easy you find high school, college is actually tough (not every single class). You will have the resources to be successful, but you do have to use them.
2) Study hard and get that GPA up high early. The classes only get harder, and the further you get, the harder it is to move the GPA in either direction.
3) There will be more distractions available than you can apprehend. That is both a plus and a minus.
4) Don't go home every weekend, particularly in your freshman year. It's a nice time to catch up from the week, plus the football weekends are a blast.
5) You will meet a ton of people, and quite a few of them are not ready to be away from home, and in turn are doing all the things that will ensure they are back there very quickly.
6) You are competing against all your classmates for the job you want to land (or the grad school slot) when you're done. The employers do care that you are well-rounded, but having better grades than the classmates will get you the interviews.
7) It's a whole new, incredible, awesome, scary world...and it's years you will always remember and wish to have back.

Probably the biggest mistake I made. Thinking it was going to be like high school, big mistake. Fine now, but spent almost a full year getting that GPA back up to above average levels.

Probably the biggest mistake I made. Thinking it was going to be like high school, big mistake. Fine now, but spent almost a full year getting that GPA back up to above average levels.

Me too. College is really freaking hard. Did not see it coming.

Me too. College is really freaking hard. Did not see it coming.

Nope. Went from all 90's in high school to getting 60's first semester of University. Major wake up.

Nope. Went from all 90's in high school to getting 60's first semester of University. Major wake up.

Seriously. I barely kept my GPA above the threshold for my scholarship last semester.

Seriously. I barely kept my GPA above the threshold for my scholarship last semester.

I needed a 70 or B average for mine, needless to say second semester first year was stressful.

I needed a 70 or B average for mine, needless to say second semester first year was stressful.

Yeah I needed 3.0 and got a 3.12. My parents made it pretty clear that I best not lose my scholarship this semester. Lol.

Yeah I needed 3.0 and got a 3.12. My parents made it pretty clear that I best not lose my scholarship this semester. Lol.

haha same boat man.

THPing on Tapatalk

Barely ever snows in Blacksburg :)

Back