I think I may pick one up for my bday for the kids to play with, trying to decide if I should get a go pro model or just one for fun.

Side note: there are a few, with what look like decent reviews, for under $100, knowing that my kids will be playing with it and/or crashing it! Is a cheaper alternative a decent start?

Crashing can certainly happen. I find that its a pretty big step up though. I think you can find a DJI 3 for a really good price right now (a few hundred), but I could be way wrong.

Crashing can certainly happen. I find that its a pretty big step up though. I think you can find a DJI 3 for a really good price right now (a few hundred), but I could be way wrong.
You're not far off at all. We bought 3 reburbished dji 3's not too long ago. Don't remember the exact amount, but it was dirt cheap compared to what I paid for one a couple years ago.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

You're not far off at all. We bought 3 reburbished dji 3's not too long ago. Don't remember the exact amount, but it was dirt cheap compared to what I paid for one a couple years ago.

Nice. They are great devices.
We are going to sell ours, because the plan for it cannot be executed (many courses won't allow it during THP Events), but they are incredible to use and offer some fun too.

Where did you pick them up from?

Give me about a half hour to get back to my office and I'll get you the details.

I got a Parrot bebop 2 around Christmas. Only been able to fly it once but very impressed with everything so far

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Got mine through B&H as well, was very happy with the price and shipped quick.

We've had some good sunsets here the past few days, I might give mine a little flight action tonight just for old time's sake.

I haven't used any of mine for a while. I bought the 3's to do some inspections around the plants in areas that are hard to get to (expensive to scaffold to.) But I've found my old 2 to work better in those circumstances. The 3's I've been using more for our wind turbine inspections. Mavic Pro is the next purchase for sure.

I haven't used any of mine for a while. I bought the 3's to do some inspections around the plants in areas that are hard to get to (expensive to scaffold to.) But I've found my old 2 to work better in those circumstances. The 3's I've been using more for our wind turbine inspections. Mavic Pro is the next purchase for sure.

Drone's flying around wind turbines just sounds fun. Anything not just looking at trees though FWIW sounds fun.

Drone's flying around wind turbines just sounds fun. Anything not just looking at trees though FWIW sounds fun.

They've saved my company a ton of money in the wind farms. We can do pretty extensive visual inspections without the expense of cranes, or the safety concern of putting guys in a man basket from said crane. :D

My wife got me cheap Web RC pro "drone" from Target. Obviously I didn't have much in the way of expectations given it was from Target and not that $$. Overall a great little quad copter and a decent little SD card camera to take pics and video.

Finally got mine out over the weekend. Used it at the campground
ceabe7a3dcb00dfe93748e4f25693e78.jpg
31c3c97af6308adaf3fff5de9beadbba.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Here's a short video as well https://youtu.be/Sa_RB36w8SU

Was able to get a mile away before I started to lose signal

Here's a short video as well https://youtu.be/Sa_RB36w8SU

Was able to get a mile away before I started to lose signal

Freaks me out to send mine past where I can see it. Great shots though. Need to get mine out now that the weather is nice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice Rob.
Im actually getting rid of mine since most of our THP Events wont allow it out there and we have some other high end cameras.

Nice Rob.
Im actually getting rid of mine since most of our THP Events wont allow it out there and we have some other high end cameras.
Thanks, it has good quality for the price and its definitely fun to fly. It's a shame they won't let it out cause you definitely could get some great video like you have before

I actually just sold mine for $250. While I think it worked well, it just was collecting dust vs what I wanted to use it for.

I actually just sold mine for $250. While I think it worked well, it just was collecting dust vs what I wanted to use it for.

Sadly that's what mine is doing as well. Case, batteries and drone cost me a good chunk of change. With toddlers and limited free time, I'm thinking about selling mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got the Spark out yesterday for a bit in an open area to see how well it does. In Sport mode then thing is a blast to fly. It was dusk so lighting wasnt great and seeing as how I have never flown a drone before I didnt exactly get courageous. I am excited to get a bit more comfy and see what it can do.

Got the Spark out yesterday for a bit in an open area to see how well it does. In Sport mode then thing is a blast to fly. It was dusk so lighting wasnt great and seeing as how I have never flown a drone before I didnt exactly get courageous. I am excited to get a bit more comfy and see what it can do.

Did you try out the hand gestures? Those look pretty cool.

Did you try out the hand gestures? Those look pretty cool.

Not yet. Every video I read and watch basically says unless you are shooting selfies you need to use the remote or your phone in case things go wonky for things like return to home.

Does anybody have experience with the XIRO Xplorer 4K quad drone?

Still haven't pulled the trigger on one yet, strongly considering the Spark. Really just need it a couple times a year for a few clients who want some aerial footage.

Back