The Golf Ramble Thread

Went out with dew still on the grass this morning. Only person on the course for 1.5 hours.

Working on swing stuff from the lesson the other day, not keeping score, just trying to really cement some stuff in the swing. Did it work? Maybe.... who knows.
Hit some really good shots, hit some not so good ones. Lost a couple balls just messing around.

Hit one drive that really just had everything put together. Good swing, little draw, and was a solid 60 yards past where I was the other day on the same hole. That was a neat feeling.

The biggest struggle is where do I aim? Do I aim for where it'll go if well struck (slightly left), or if poorly struck (right)? Right now it seems wherever I aim is the wrong choice lol.

For years I have thought my swing was flawed. That I hit it too high. That my shot shape was wrong. That I hit a fade and would always hit a fade.

Finally go for a lesson, after years of putting it off. Turns out I am wrong.

My swing is fine, but needed a slight tweak. I was hitting high because of the setup. Shot shape was due to setup. Fade was due to setup. Tweak wise, nothing major, just more spine tilt, and shorten the backswing to improve consistency.

I hit the ball ok during my round yesterday. I hit the ball really really good during/after the lesson. The "pulls" that were my miss, are actually me hitting it well, and they go left because that is where I am actually aimed. Very excited to have that "miss" be more of a normal occurence.

Setup and alignment is so so so important. Glad you found someone to help you out and hope it works out well for you!

i’m going to get a short game lesson. yes the grandaddy pushed me over the edge, but i’ve been struggling for too long and i’m ******* tired of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

i’m going to get a short game lesson. yes the grandaddy pushed me over the edge, but i’ve been struggling for too long and i’m ******* tired of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Find one type of short game shot that feels comfortable to you and make that your go to shot. Play for that miss and you’ll improve easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Find one type of short game shot that feels comfortable to you and make that your go to shot. Play for that miss and you’ll improve easily.

Unless it’s the flop. Don’t make that the go to. It comes out softer than anticipated more often than not.

Unless it’s the flop. Don’t make that the go to. It comes out softer than anticipated more often than not.

No one except Phil makes the flop their go to shot.

Setup and alignment is so so so important. Glad you found someone to help you out and hope it works out well for you!

It seems so simple but it is oddly hard to get it right, one of my biggest issues.

A couple of years ago, I went to get a lesson from a well-respected pro in this area. He had me hit a few balls, then, had me do a bit different of a set up that was almost directly opposite of what I had been doing. That was it. Set up, grip, alignment. Never mentioned my swing.

When I use it regularly, I hit better. Just got to keep reminding myself to do it.

Talk about a baller move haha

A couple of years ago, I went to get a lesson from a well-respected pro in this area. He had me hit a few balls, then, had me do a bit different of a set up that was almost directly opposite of what I had been doing. That was it. Set up, grip, alignment. Never mentioned my swing.

When I use it regularly, I hit better. Just got to keep reminding myself to do it.

Seems like a great checklist to get it going every time out.

Of course, we now get 90* weather after what seems like 2 hours of spring.
Just melted on the back 9 of two rounds not being used to the heat.
Guess that's what happens when you go from 70* to 90* in a week.

We got stuck in a crazy storm yesterday, I'm talking run for your life with trees falling and horizontal rain, I'm talking power outages.

It was a beautiful day with 30% chance of a passing storm, very brief rain was possible, so the course was packed and we were on the 7th when the clouds appeared on the horizon, serious looking clouds, we all joked it looked like the apocalypse was coming, not knowing it was close to reality.

All the sudden the winds started and the skies opened up, hurricane forces, a serious storm, I could barely see in front of the cart to drive back 3 holes to the clubhouse, rain coming at us sideways, dangerous stuff. The course closed with trees down everywhere, I drove by the hole that we ran from and saw a large one sitting across the fairway that we were playing on not more than an hour before.

I just am struggling to make contact with the golf ball lately it is what I find so hard about this game. I've been making adjustments and doing drills but I'm not finding my way out of it. Another problem is my back has been bugging me. I also knocked around an old oversize King Corba PW and it was going as far as I have been hitting my 8 iron recently, has me thinking about switching to shovels! I have hit my current irons great In the past so it looks like I need to get back to lessons, I just hate taking them midseason. I go further back before I start to move forward when I take lessons.

If i could hit a half way decent iron shot I am convinced I would be a single digit handicap.

I have 2 short game shots.
1) open face pop it up and leave it 10 ft short
2) square face drive it low blast it 10 ft past

Ugh it's awful.

I played like garbage yesterday. +6 front, +12 back.

How did it happen? I was ok with being +5 through 8, somewhat happy about it actually. I wanted to come in at 12 over OR LESS for a final score. After 9, it was still a reachable goal

- Get to #9, last round we pulled the tee shot left (which I have since learned isn't a pull for me, but is a well hit perfectly aimed shot, just I don't know where to aim)
- Tee up driver, and aim so far right that when I hit it well it skips through the fairway and into the long stuff..... lost ball.
- Drop, put the shot onto the green from 160, and 2 putt bogey. No problem. Damage done.

I wanted to come in at 12 over OR LESS for a final score. After 9, it was still a reachable goal

Then the sh!tsh0w begins. 6 bogeys, 3 doubles in a row. Why?
- trying to smash driver and put myself into a good position..... which leads to.....
- having to hit 2nd shots from the trees.... which leads to....
- having to hit 3rd shots from the trees
- careless putting

The Good: I hit greens on my approach shots that I have never hit before on some of the holes. Like first time ever GIR on these holes.
The Bad: .......and then 3 putt.
The Bad: Mishit one drive so badly I bounced the driver off the turf 6 inches behind the ball, hooking the ball into the trees by the previous hole's tee box, and then messed around in the trees until taking a 4th shot from the fairway lol
The Silly: trying to play a shot I have no business playing (multiple times), and paying dearly for it

The Good: I get to play again this weekend!

This is all my cathartic way of trying to get over the bad round. My airing of grievances.

I have 2 short game shots.
1) open face pop it up and leave it 10 ft short
2) square face drive it low blast it 10 ft past

Ugh it's awful.

Sounds like you need to work on your 10 ft putts.

If i could hit a half way decent iron shot I am convinced I would be a single digit handicap.

Agree.

You have the short game. More consistency off the tee would be good but an uptick in GIR's would do everyone's game better. You got it in ya, just have to put it together.

Club Championship is next weekend.

Actively debating actually playing in it. Feels like I should, man.

So any reason not to? With your game I would think you’d give anyone at your club a run for their money.

So any reason not to? With your game I would think you’d give anyone at your club a run for their money.

Slow golf, ultra competitive people.. Just not really my cup of tea.

I think I'm going to talk to some of the local guys and see if someone can make the walk with me. If I can still get out there and have some laughs, it's worth a shot.

Going camping for the next 5 days, and while the wife and kid go to the beach I will either be on the range or the course.

Super excited!

Back