The Guitar Appreciation Thread

Another brand to check out (if you're in the market) is Sire Guitars. The build quality is excellent. Above and beyond what you'll get with the big name brands. So good in fact that they are super hard to find. The 3 series is around $400 and the 7 series $6-$700. Full size pots, bone nut, rolled edges etc. even on the 3 series.
Darrell Braun has a channel on You Tube and does great reviews on guitars. He rates the Classic Vibe Fenders as very good but the Sire's as excellent. Here's a review of the T3

Wish they made a J3! 🤣

Last thing I need is another strat, and just never really liked the teles.

Supposedly the brand has made an attempt to not be crap any more. I've heard some good things.
Lots of love on TalkBass for the Classic Vibe series, FYI.

Maybe a Mensinger?
1679941983270.png

I like the Joker as well for the PRS vibe without the PRS heel.
1679943880617.png

Supposedly the brand has made an attempt to not be crap any more. I've heard some good things.
Whoa, I just looked at the US site, there only $200?!?! Almost like wasting money not buying one!

ETA: I was looking at the wrong ones! 🤣 Still a ponder though.

If I had the dough (and still played guitar), I'd have both a DGT goldtop and an original Santana from PRS. Heck I've heard raves about the SE version of the DGTs.

Whoa, I just looked at the US site, there only $200?!?! Almost like wasting money not buying one!

I think they're like $400. I'm strongly considering one, and will dump another 200-300 into some mods.

Squier has come a long way from the cheapie "beginner" brand they were early on. I'd put them at pretty equal to the quality of MIM Fenders.

All this talk about Squier makes me want to pick up a Pro Tone Strat from the mid 90s. I remember when they came out in 1996, I saw them at the local shop. They're gorgeous - and now very hard to find.

This is the fat strat variant, and I want it.
Screen Shot 2023-03-27 at 9.59.22 PM.png

Organized things yesterday. I need to sell an inordinate amount of gear. I don't even know where to start.
Don't get me started (and that's not even all of it)!

Coll.JPG

Lol. you kids and your Floyd Rose trems. I just say I play a microtonal guitar since I can never intonate one of those things to save my skin. As I get older, I look for simpler and simpler gear. My main bass has Jbass pickups wired in series and a volume knob. Even that befuddles me at times. My dream amp has an on switch and a volume knob, and nothing else. As I've said many times at TalkBass, all I want tonally is for my bass to sound like a bass.

Lol. you kids and your Floyd Rose trems. I just say I play a microtonal guitar since I can never intonate one of those things to save my skin. As I get older, I look for simpler and simpler gear. My main bass has Jbass pickups wired in series and a volume knob. Even that befuddles me at times. My dream amp has an on switch and a volume knob, and nothing else. As I've said many times at TalkBass, all I want tonally is for my bass to sound like a bass.
Hey man, I'd love a 57 hard tail strat. Can I have $40k?

The Wolfgang is the only guitar I have with a Floyd, and it's decked (dive-only). Easier to tune and change strings than a full-floater, and the tuning doesn't go all whacky if you break a string. It's the first guitar I've ever owned with a Floyd, and it's not anywhere near the nightmare I thought it would be - the tuning is actually super stable, I can go weeks/months without having to unlock the nut and tune it. The D-Tuna on the low E string is actually more fiddly than the Floyd, but once you get the intonation adjusted right it's pretty solid too.

My Strat has a standard ("vintage") Fender trem, but I have it blocked - that thing is a tuning disaster if you actually use it. The Gretsch (not pictured above, it's in the case above the other guitars) has a Bigsby, and it's fine enough for what it's intended for (little "shimmers", not full-on divebombs).

The Wolfgang is the only guitar I have with a Floyd, and it's decked (dive-only). Easier to tune and change strings than a full-floater, and the tuning doesn't go all whacky if you break a string. It's the first guitar I've ever owned with a Floyd, and it's not anywhere near the nightmare I thought it would be - the tuning is actually super stable, I can go weeks/months without having to unlock the nut and tune it. The D-Tuna on the low E string is actually more fiddly than the Floyd, but once you get the intonation adjusted right it's pretty solid too.

My Strat has a standard ("vintage") Fender trem, but I have it blocked - that thing is a tuning disaster if you actually use it. The Gretsch (not pictured above, it's in the case above the other guitars) has a Bigsby, and it's fine enough for what it's intended for (little "shimmers", not full-on divebombs).
I've got a Washburn Wonderbar on one of my old Strats and it's a rock solid dream. I really don't use the Floyds, and barely use the standard term - they're just kinda there.

I've got a Washburn Wonderbar on one of my old Strats and it's a rock solid dream. I really don't use the Floyds, and barely use the standard term - they're just kinda there.
Now, that's a blast from the past!!

I bought this Jackson js-20 entry level guitar back in high school and have played on and off. I need to get back into it and have been thinking about building a kit sometime in the next year. Does anyone have opinions on audio interfaces? My friends are staying to play and have talked about us trying to record some stuff to help us get better. I'm leaning towards the Scarlett solo.

PXL_20230318_194350937.jpg

Wonderbar is the best vibrato system ever created. I had a 3/4 V with that system and I've regretted getting rid of it since the day it left my hands. :(

Back