The Guitar Appreciation Thread

Some of you guys have some pretty fancy stuff. I don't have anything that fancy, but I do play some. Not very good anymore since my hearing kind of went, but I do play. That one on the right in the left photo had a really good Nirvana sound. The Schecter had a bit of a difficult neck to play. I preferred the G&L Legacy (R) and the Alexi V. I sold the Schecter and the Mustang in 2014.

The Herd.jpg G&L Legacy.jpg

Ah back in my thin days.... now I'm old and fat. Sad.

withSam_3.jpg

Some of you guys have some pretty fancy stuff. I don't have anything that fancy, but I do play some. Not very good anymore since my hearing kind of went, but I do play. That one on the right in the left photo had a really good Nirvana sound. The Schecter had a bit of a difficult neck to play. I preferred the G&L Legacy (R) and the Alexi V. I sold the Schecter and the Mustang in 2014.

View attachment 9151956 View attachment 9151957

View attachment 9151960
What year is the Mustang? I have a trio of '69s. One in each color they made that year (competition red, burgundy, and competition yellow.) Love those guitars.

View attachment 9151956 View attachment 9151957

View attachment 9151960
That’s a nice collection! G&Ls are great guitars, love the top on that Schecter, and the Alexi V is 🔥! I have a Schecter but it’s a lower end model, and it’s not my favorite neck either. Strats have always felt the easiest to play for me - every time I pick my Strat up it just feels like “home”.

I forgot. There's this one, too. It replaced the Schecter. Any of you subscribe to Rick Beato's Youtube channel? It was there that I discovered that there's a reason 9-42s are on Strats, and why they also can be used on these shorter scale guitars. Because they sound better. Same reason I have 10 - 47s on my acoustic. And I suppose you want to see what's moving the air and why I have to go to the gym. These things are a b**** to move.

LTD EC1000.jpg LynchBox_1 (1).jpg

Oh yeah... the acoustic... everyone has an acoustic, right?

My J45.jpg

And I recorded this note for note backing track of Lacuna Coil's "Swamped" 9 years ago. Guitars used were the EC1000 and the Alexi. I think they were tuned in drop-C. What was hard was recording the guitars and getting everything synched w/o using quantization. I remember Lacuna Coil used the Line 6 Vetta amps and I tried to duplicate the tone. I think I nailed it. I played all instruments. And the section where it sounds like the chords are a little off? It was exactly like that on the recording.

And I recorded this note for note backing track of Lacuna Coil's "Swamped" 9 years ago. Guitars used were the EC1000 and the Alexi. I think they were tuned in drop-C. What was hard was recording the guitars and getting everything synched w/o using quantization. I remember Lacuna Coil used the Line 6 Vetta amps and I tried to duplicate the tone. I think I nailed it. I played all instruments. And the section where it sounds like the chords are a little off? It was exactly like that on the recording.

That's really solid!

I'm on the hunt again. Trying to decide between:

Another unique Stratocaster
American Vintage II 57 Stratocaster
Vintage MIJ/CIJ Stratocaster
25th Anniversary Stratocaster
CIJ Jaguar (if I can find one with block inlays & matching headstock)
Maybe another custom shop piece.

What should I lean toward?

Hard to go wrong with Custom Shop, you get it exactly how you want it.

I'm an offset fan so I say the Jag... but if you can find the right custom, that could be fun too. 😉

I'm an offset fan so I say the Jag... but if you can find the right custom, that could be fun too. 😉
I love Jaguars. My favorite guitar of all time. But if I'm going to buy another one it has to be exactly what I want....well, what I want is currently on reverb for $18k, so that's not going to happen.

But maybe a CIJ.

This is probably how I've ended up with so many strats. With strats, I'm never looking for anything really specific.

I love Jaguars. My favorite guitar of all time. But if I'm going to buy another one it has to be exactly what I want....well, what I want is currently on reverb for $18k, so that's not going to happen.

But maybe a CIJ.

This is probably how I've ended up with so many strats. With strats, I'm never looking for anything really specific.
It's partly my personal bias showing through, but if I was in the market right now with some cash in my pocket I'd be looking at an American EVH Wolfgang. Strat-"ish" (Eddie was a Strat guy after all), but even better. They look good and play really nice. Or to go even more Strat-"ish", the 5150 or Frankie models.

Wolfie USA model in Stealth Black, mmmm:

Wolfieblk.png

Organized things yesterday. I need to sell an inordinate amount of gear. I don't even know where to start.

Organized things yesterday. I need to sell an inordinate amount of gear. I don't even know where to start.
Things happen.

I want a Jaguar. Any of the more affordable/re-release ones worth looking at?

I've never owned a Squier, but these Classic Vibe models are absolutely gorgeous, and they're cheap! I think I may pick one up just for fun

Those are beautiful. I had a bad experience with the only Squire I've played a loooooong time ago though.

Another brand to check out (if you're in the market) is Sire Guitars. The build quality is excellent. Above and beyond what you'll get with the big name brands. So good in fact that they are super hard to find. The 3 series is around $400 and the 7 series $6-$700. Full size pots, bone nut, rolled edges etc. even on the 3 series.
Darrell Braun has a channel on You Tube and does great reviews on guitars. He rates the Classic Vibe Fenders as very good but the Sire's as excellent. Here's a review of the T3

Supposedly the brand has made an attempt to not be crap any more. I've heard some good things.
Interesting

The music shop here carries Squire, maybe I'll go play something, though I'm guessing they don't have any Jags.

Back