Status
Not open for further replies.
Josh , I always tell people I meet, if the conversation turns to golf, about what I had the pleasure of doing with and because of THP. And for sure anytime I'm on the course and meet someone new, they will hear about THP and what a great place this is. I know you don't want a pat on the back, but thanks for all you, Morgan and the team do each and every year to make this a special place.

I know I have been extremely fortunate to have been able to partake in a lot of the great THP events from the very beginning, and sometimes I forget just how mundane my "golf year" was before I found this place and all the friends I have gained through it. I love sharing the word about these events, and even those individuals inside golf related jobs have a hard time fathoming that what I am telling them about is reality and not some boastful lie.

My two Morgan Cup staff bags live prominently in my office, and I'll say they have gotten some looks and questions and allowed me to share some great stories that even I have a hard time believing actually happened.

dbb964584f45122b28b9469d68df34ca.jpg

JB thank you for all you and THP do. I cant even begin to imagine the level of effort it takes to pull this stuff off. Only being here around 6 months and having attended my first even in January and two more coming up i can say they truly are awesome times and awesome courses.

I try to always mention THP when i talk to my co-workers or golfing buddies about these events even if its the ones that I am not a part of because the live updates are way cool and feel like we are there with the participants.

Those around me definitely know about THP and all its glory. Anyone I've ever played with has for sure gotten a THP tee or two. A guy asked me a couple weeks ago what driver/shaft I was playing after I bombed it a few times. The freaking Grandaddy shaft is a conversation piece like none other! He was in total awe that Callaway did all these cool things with us average Joes. His jaw hit the ground when I told him about #TheGauntlet and what we experienced there.

Pretty freaking special if I say so!

THP is special and what it does for the members who get involved is amazing. I am not just talking about the crazy awesome and unique events that y'all put on either, I am talking about the internet friendships that become real life friendships, all of the freaking cool gestures of generosity that go on because of the amazing people on the forum.

I have a THP putter cover in my bag, the bag tag on my bag and I use the coins as markers, so whenever someone notices them they usually ask where they came from. Admittedly it is a bit harder to get people on board over here but I will happily point them in the direction of THP and explain some of the things that go on here and if that gets them to sign up then it is a bonus

My happy moment for the day is that the new estate agent that we signed up with a few weeks ago now has been in touch to say there is a viewing booked for this Friday morning. I am not getting my hopes up after having been disappointed after previous viewings, but it is a start so I am going to keep my fingers crossed for some good news when we come back from our holiday

Had an informal meeting with a hiring manager for a potential new job opportunity in Palo Alto this morning. I honestly think the discussion went rather well and I hope to hear back from him in the coming days.

Question-
1) Do I send a thank you email to him today, tomorrow, the next day, next week, etc.?
2) Do I shoot his supervisor (who I play golf with) an email just informing him of our meeting...in hopes of them conversing about me? It's not what you know, but who you know! Right?
3) Is moving to Palo Alto a good or bad choice coming from SE Michigan? I've done some initial browsing and it looks like the cheapest apartment in the area is roughly 3k/month for ~700 sq.ft. And a entry-level house is about ONE POINT FIVE million dollars!
:deadhorse::angry::banghead::shock:

Good Luck Eric!!!
Is the job in the golf industry?

1) I would send him a short and sweet e-mail, just a basic thank you for your time.
2) I would not say anything to the supervisor, I would wait and see if the supervisor says something to you
3) as cheap as you are, there is no way you could live in Palo alto :D

Had an informal meeting with a hiring manager for a potential new job opportunity in Palo Alto this morning. I honestly think the discussion went rather well and I hope to hear back from him in the coming days.

Question-
1) Do I send a thank you email to him today, tomorrow, the next day, next week, etc.?
2) Do I shoot his supervisor (who I play golf with) an email just informing him of our meeting...in hopes of them conversing about me? It's not what you know, but who you know! Right?
3) Is moving to Palo Alto a good or bad choice coming from SE Michigan? I've done some initial browsing and it looks like the cheapest apartment in the area is roughly 3k/month for ~700 sq.ft. And a entry-level house is about ONE POINT FIVE million dollars!

Good Luck Eric!!!
Is the job in the golf industry?

Thanks, no, still with current employer. They recently opened a Research and Innovation Center in/around the Stanford Research Park and are looking to relocate 3-5 employees from Michigan, then they're looking to hire 3-5 locals from Palo Alto.

In all seriousness, for me it would have to pay at least a 4x pay increase to even think about it

Thanks, no, still with current employer. They recently opened a Research and Innovation Center in/around the Stanford Research Park and are looking to relocate 3-5 employees from Michigan, then they're looking to hire 3-5 locals from Palo Alto.

Question-

thats great Eric, hope you get the job.

I can't really tell about the cost of life over there, but I would assume the salaries go with the cost of life, and did you check your options outside of town?

oh and no winter is a win right?

Question-

I think you can find affordable housing while living near Palo Alto, you have 2 options as I understand it from talking to friends there.

1) East Palo Alto
2) 3 hour commute.

Good luck :)

Yes, rent or mortgage is more than 4 times the cost of the Midwest right. Plus everything is more expensive in Cali.
I would love to live there, but I would not want to have to downgrade everything because of COLA.
4 times might not even be enough

Really? 4x? Wow! Dang! $***!

In all seriousness, for me it would have to pay at least a 4x pay increase to even think about it

If I'm living in the Bay Area, you would probably have to pay me 4x as much to move somewhere as cold as Michigan, cost of living be damned.

Yes, rent or mortgage is more than 4 times the cost of the Midwest right. Plus everything is more expensive in Cali.
I would love to live there, but I would not want to have to downgrade everything because of COLA.
4 times might not even be enough

Its not quite 4 times, but one thing to take into account are property taxes. When we looked hard at moving out there, the costs of homes are not what we feared as much, although the taxes are crazy high. However the property taxes were peanuts in comparison. So monthly take was not too much different. However state income taxes made a big difference and homes were 3 times more money for similar. Deals can be had, but there are things to consider.

I always said the move could happen for double my salary when I was working for a company. The reality was 1.76x my salary and I would have done it. Now, being self employed, there is just no way being that we get no raise to go out there.

Every year I get older, the more the cold hurts me lol, 4 times was a little excessive, but where I am at is much cheaper than where you are, so your 1.76 might be closer to 2.5 for me when comparing apples to apples if that makes sense

Its not quite 4 times, but one thing to take into account are property taxes. When we looked hard at moving out there, the costs of homes are not what we feared as much, although the taxes are crazy high. However the property taxes were peanuts in comparison. So monthly take was not too much different. However state income taxes made a big difference and homes were 3 times more money for similar. Deals can be had, but there are things to consider.

I always said the move could happen for double my salary when I was working for a company. The reality was 1.76x my salary and I would have done it. Now, being self employed, there is just no way being that we get no raise to go out there.

Question-

Palo Alto is nice, but definitely expensive. Caltrain runs from the city (SF) down to Gilroy I believe it is. I used to use that to commute when I lived up there (worked at Palo Alto Medical Foundation). I'd definitely take a look at that and options around the area, though it's still pretty expensive anywhere on the peninsula.

I think you can find affordable housing while living near Palo Alto, you have 2 options as I understand it from talking to friends there.

1) East Palo Alto
2) 3 hour commute.

Good luck :)

Ewww...I lived in East Palo Alto. It was pretty bad when I was there, though I hear it's cleaned up some. I cannot imagine it's anywhere anyone would really want to live.

Every year I get older, the more the cold hurts me lol, 4 times was a little excessive, but where I am at is much cheaper than where you are, so your 1.76 might be closer to 2.5 for me when comparing apples to apples if that makes sense

It might be, however when you add in state income tax that you pay annually, versus none here, the margin is much closer than you think.

Good point, and when my kids are gown I have a strange feeling I will be a resident of florida :)

It might be, however when you add in state income tax that you pay annually, versus none here, the margin is much closer than you think.

My son turns 2 today. Man how the time flies

Two years ago today

78e0d19843b7673b30ce08f3e0893d6b.jpg

67a8d6ec297cf40ec2b05ac84ef9d0c1.jpg

Congrats blugold!

I've had a nice job interview today, really really hope it pans out. Great company, very cool products (services actualky) and I'm looking forward to be a part of a team again. Should hear more before the weekend and I'm really hoping for good news. (Probably two or three rounds to go still.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back