The Home Renovation Thread

Whoever mentioned the dust from floor refinishing getting EVERYWHERE was not lying. It was upstairs, in every bedroom and door trim thanks to the hvac needing to be on. We need to touch up the baseboards and cabinet trim due to some scratching and stain splash, but all in all we are super happy and it was worth it. We got the Bona Traffic (industrial) finish to hopefully prevent scratched from the dogs
20210403_114028.jpg

I freaking hate the big box stores. Going on 1.5 weeks of waiting for my shiplap. :(

If you have a table saw its easy to cut the pieces yourself. We did it with 1/4" sheets i think, into 4 or 5" strips, and just nailed them up with the gapping. It also cost only $40 vs 300+ as we needed 30 pieces.

But then we had to paint it ourselves obviously

Got the beadboard wainscotting and trim in. Next up is stacked stone across the lower part of the fireplace/tv wall and the front of the bar. Beetle kill pine will go on top of that to finish the tv area and back bar.
0406211045.jpg0406211045a.jpg

I haven't posted on this forum or played in over a year but I'll get my toes wet getting back on this forum with this thread since I've done plenty of home stuff.

Redid cabinets, new flooring for the whole downstairs, painted downstairs, redid 1/2 bath, all lighting downstairs replaced, and had our back patio extended. Will be doing master bath soon. I can post pictures later.

A solid week of removing sand from the rear yard! Makes me wonder just how stable the ground this house is built on LOL.
14EDDF1C-9EE0-44CE-BD6B-3AA723C9442B.jpeg
B814499A-EED3-4E4B-B0D3-0D553250ACAB.jpeg

Today's home reno adventure was a B$#%× :mad:. My wife wanted to update her bathroom vanity as is vintage straight out of 1978. We'll paint the cabinet (eventually, and maybe longer after the battle from today) I had to find a countertop long enough to fit because he vanity was built in place. :rolleyes: I get it stripped down only to realize the counter I bought was 24" with the backsplash... but the current countertop is only 22" :sick: so after cursing kicking a few things, etc.. I cut the backsplash off and will address it at a later time. I cut the hole for the sink, only to realize the existing p-trap doesn't line up with the new sink. 3 trips to Lowes later...I am still NOT connected because whomever plumbed this house didn't use standard sizes :rolleyes:. Another trip to lowes in the AM and I should be hooked up. Anyway, here's progress: 20210407_101501.jpg
20210407_185157.jpg

A number of the earliest homes in our development used Schedule 30 PVC piping. It keeps a small plumbing supply house here in business.

Tool sales are dangerous y’all :ROFLMAO:

Tool sales are dangerous y’all :ROFLMAO:

You are telling me! We have just started at looking to buy a house and I literally find myself looking at tools constantly...

I can only imagine what will happen once we buy a house haha

Whoever mentioned the dust from floor refinishing getting EVERYWHERE was not lying. It was upstairs, in every bedroom and door trim thanks to the hvac needing to be on. We need to touch up the baseboards and cabinet trim due to some scratching and stain splash, but all in all we are super happy and it was worth it. We got the Bona Traffic (industrial) finish to hopefully prevent scratched from the dogs
View attachment 9001664

If you have a table saw its easy to cut the pieces yourself. We did it with 1/4" sheets i think, into 4 or 5" strips, and just nailed them up with the gapping. It also cost only $40 vs 300+ as we needed 30 pieces.

But then we had to paint it ourselves obviously
Floor looks great. Good job

A solid week of removing sand from the rear yard! Makes me wonder just how stable the ground this house is built on LO
View attachment 9001907

I wish we had a sand base when we re-landscaped our yard. We had decomposed granite that was more granite like than decomposed.

I was asked to update on our garage flooring and wanted to since it has been a few months. It still looks great. Everything is super easy to wipe down and nothing sticks or stains.

With that said vs the cost to have it done, you have to make sure you have a very level floor because while they grind, if you have dips in spots, water will pool. We only have a tiny one, so not a huge deal, but something to consider for people.

It’s expensive but should last as long as we own the home and is very different than the do it yourself kits like we had in our previous. This is high gloss and nearly soft to the touch and almost looks like a glass floor.

79EC6C60-DDE5-41C9-9070-29020D52B0F0.jpeg

I was asked to update on our garage flooring and wanted to since it has been a few months. It still looks great. Everything is super easy to wipe down and nothing sticks or stains.

With that said vs the cost to have it done, you have to make sure you have a very level floor because while they grind, if you have dips in spots, water will pool. We only have a tiny one, so not a huge deal, but something to consider for people.

It’s expensive but should last as long as we own the home and is very different than the do it yourself kits like we had in our previous. This is high gloss and nearly soft to the touch and almost looks like a glass floor.

View attachment 9001928

Which brand/installer did you use for this?

Titan Flooring Applications was who installed ours. It was a 3 day project.
Aside from grinding, do they do any fill? I'd like to do something like this in our garage, with all the salt and snow, but the 70 year old slab is pitted, thanks to the same salts and snow. Would have to get filled/leveled out.

Aside from grinding, do they do any fill? I'd like to do something like this in our garage, with all the salt and snow, but the 70 year old slab is pitted, thanks to the same salts and snow. Would have to get filled/leveled out.

Yes, but we didnt have any major issues. Some minor cracking that they grind and seal, etc.
They level with in reason and then fill and then sand. Its quite a process. During estimate when they come out, they should go over every aspect of what can be leveled. My gut says typical pitting can be taken care of.

We got the price down a little bit, as we wanted a metallic dark blue flake, and that was a pretty expensive choice, but were right at $5 a square foot installed I believe. But we have an oversized 3 car garage, so its a lot of feet to cover.

Would I do it again? Im not sure. They make some great covers now for pennies on the dollar in comparison, but I do a lot of work in the garage and details our cars a lot as well. Plus the whole ROI thing down the road. So I probably would, but not sure.

We have similar issues with garages in our neighborhood, and I think everybody who started out to repair the garage floor wound up replacing it because the concrete wsa badly deteriorated throughout. Would love to find a decent repair option.

We have similar issues with garages in our neighborhood, and I think everybody who started out to repair the garage floor wound up replacing it because the concrete wsa badly deteriorated throughout. Would love to find a decent repair option.
We've got one corner by the door where the soil settled and there is a good crack, the rest is in pretty decent shape, aside from the surface pitting.

If there is a lot of damage, I would always recommend full replacement, especially in our climates where road salts are going to end up on the slab. Patches and repairs tend to fail pretty quickly in this environment.

Today's home reno adventure was a B$#%× :mad:. My wife wanted to update her bathroom vanity as is vintage straight out of 1978. We'll paint the cabinet (eventually, and maybe longer after the battle from today) I had to find a countertop long enough to fit because he vanity was built in place. :rolleyes: I get it stripped down only to realize the counter I bought was 24" with the backsplash... but the current countertop is only 22" :sick: so after cursing kicking a few things, etc.. I cut the backsplash off and will address it at a later time. I cut the hole for the sink, only to realize the existing p-trap doesn't line up with the new sink. 3 trips to Lowes later...I am still NOT connected because whomever plumbed this house didn't use standard sizes :rolleyes:. Another trip to lowes in the AM and I should be hooked up. Anyway, here's progress: View attachment 9001917
View attachment 9001918
I will NOT show the wife these photos for fear I will be buying 3 of those sinks today! 😛

Thanks for the idea of covering options, @JB. I'm seeing costs in the $2.50-$6.00/sf range, but if I don't have to replace the floor, it might make sense. Have to figure out those options can manage the winter melt in the garage, but that may be doable as well.

Back