The Last Time You Quit Early

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
When is the last time you stopped before getting to the turn?

Two weeks ago. League was cancelled due to rain. I went out to play by myself, walked off after 5. Lost two balls in the first two holes. Didn't know where the ball was going on any shot. I wasn't having fun, so I went home to get back in time for bedtime. Was a great decision.

I’m going to say it was the summer of 2004. I walked in from the third hole after taking a golf ball to the face.

earlier this year.

#7 tee touches the parking lot so it's an easy bail point.

We quite after 9 one day last summer. It was a Friday afternoon and really hot...and really slow. We all had some where to be so we called it after finishing the 9th hole.

At my course, the end of our 6th hole is about as close as you can get to the parking lot without making the turn. Often times in the off-season when the weather sucks we'll commit to nine, but bail after six holes if it's miserable.

So more than likely, only a couple months ago. We never do it because of bad play though.

2003 I believe. Tried to sneak 18 in before work in college, but thunderstorm had other ideas and having to work meant I couldn't wait it out.

Can’t say I’ve ever done it. Had to wait out some rain, thunder and lightning before though!

Mine was a few years ago now, just after my dad had been diagnosed with cancer - I had gone out with Jen to play 9 holes and just couldn't focus at all so we quit after 3 holes

I’m going to say it was the summer of 2004. I walked in from the third hole after taking a golf ball to the face.
Ouch, I would probably have walked in (or been carried) after that as well

Have stopped due to weather, or only played 5 or 6 holes with the kids - but to stop just because, I don't know that I've ever done it before the turn. I may take a hole or two off if things are exceptionally bad, but usually I stick it out through the round.

At my course, the end of our 6th hole is about as close as you can get to the parking lot without making the turn. Often times in the off-season when the weather sucks we'll commit to nine, but bail after six holes if it's miserable.

So more than likely, only a couple months ago. We never do it because of bad play though.
Good thing we were past the 6th that day in the rain haha

Only once in my life. 1993 Got kicked with old school spikes and opened up a 3 inch gash on my calf. Only time I have ever not finished a round.

Whenever the last time a downpour came with no end in sight. Probably last summer.

It wasn't before the turn, but one day last year it was particularly hot, with not a breath of wind. Around hole 10 I began to notice feeling particularly fatigued by the heat. By hole 13 I was having to lean on my putter to keep from swaying on the green. I told my buddy I was done for a few holes. He played one more but we ended up bagging the rest of the round. Better safe than sorry.

I assume you mean "Because you had enough golf for the day" and not weather related.
Mentally often, physically, maybe once or twice several years ago.
I find if I stick with it, My "Savior" gives me one to bring me back

Last edited:
It’s been at least 35 years or so since I’ve walked off a course before the turn. It tended to rain quite heavily in Jacksonville, so we were forced off the course quite a bit in my Navy golf league. The last time I left a course before completing a round was two years ago at Randolph GC in Tucson: 2:45 for nine holes was more than enough for me.

Never by choice, only due to a course closing due to weather.

Never. Quit last year at #14 due to heat exhaustion, was walking and just became overcome. Was completely soaked. No water on course, it was my last (and only 3rd) round last year. Also send i round was called due to T Storms, my daughter and i were just making the turn, my back on the tee on the 10th hole.

If we don't count rain, which happened to me last Friday, I don't think that has ever happened to me.

I'm not sure I have ever quit entirely. Last time I can remember stopping early we got rained out on the 15th hole.

Several years ago we quit after the sixth hole when we’d already been on the course for 3 hours. That round was a contributing factor in my quitting the game for nearly 2 decades.

I left on the 17th after what was a torrential downpour last year. Been called off the course during lightning as well. However I have never quit a round that didn’t have anything to do with weather. Even during my worst form I’ve played all the holes. Mostly because I’m a cheap-o that wants his money’s worth lol.

Once, two years back I think. I was taking a quick practice break from work didn't intend to play. A couple of friends persuaded me to play with them. I left after 4 holes. I blamed leaving on work -- which is partially true -- but the primary reason was awful ball striking. I literally had nothing that day. I still feel bad about it. Giving up on anything is not my norm.

Back