The Liv Golf Rumor and News Thread

OWGR changed the system a few months back. Points are distributed based on field strength now, among a few other things. Hughes won 34 points for his win at Sanderson. There is no "full" points anymore.
that whoosh you heard was the point going over your head.

LIV needs to go after Anthony Kim. Then I would be in support!

haha I thought about this a few months back. It would be the perfect comeback for him right because of up-front money.

What about current contracts?

Major drama of course. He said, they said, she said, blah blah blah…..doesn’t effect any of us anyway you know…..that whole thing….

that whoosh you heard was the point going over your head.

Not really. If the field strength for LIV is greater than Sanderson or any other PGAT tour event, they will get more points than those events. No inconsistencies there.

What's the difference LIV players just got OWGR from the 54 hole DP PGA BMW Championship. The OWGR did not make ranking adjustments for these 54 holes, if they deny this 54 hole event they're going to look like total frauds. I really hope the DOJ is monitoring OWGR's every move seeing how Monahan is a board member. I want to see Monahan's house raided at 4 in the morning with 22 heavily armed SWAT agents and a major news network in tow. I want to see Monahan doing the perp walk in his pajamas.

The latest ploy by LIV Golf to circumvent the system. A feeble attempt to remain relevant.

Alliance with a developmental Tour. imo LOL!

What's the difference LIV players just got OWGR from the 54 hole DP PGA BMW Championship. The OWGR did not make ranking adjustments for these 54 holes, if they deny this 54 hole event they're going to look like total frauds. I really hope the DOJ is monitoring OWGR's every move seeing how Monahan is a board member. I want to see Monahan's house raided at 4 in the morning with 22 heavily armed SWAT agents and a major news network in tow. I want to see Monahan doing the perp walk in his pajamas.
You know the BMW DP Tour PGA Championship was scheduled to be 72 holes, right? It's not quite the same thing.

I think the DOJ has bigger concerns than a Saudi golf tour having equal represent in a British company, which has an American on the board.

I'm not sure if anything Monahan is doing raises to the level of armed FBI agents arresting him.

Another thing to read and discuss:

Yes, I saw that the other night and commented to my wife that I wonder if the LIV Players are starting to think of what a mess they got themselves in, considering:
1) affect on their equipment/sponsor support going down because they are no longer seen on TV x-times/season as per their contracts (per the article above).
2) lack of visibility on network TV
3) impact on World Ranking Points
4) possible missing entry to Majors (and further lack of visibility)
5) significant increase in money on PGA Tour

I wonder if they feel that, it's almost a wash if they could be on the tour right now for what they gained. I mean Phil Figjam Mickelson was getting what, $40+ million/year on sponsor money vs the $200 mill he got from LIV (within 4 years he'd almost break even....he could have stayed and been the 'hero' staving off the bad old LIV/Saudi golf tour from challenging the PGA Tour; instead, he's labelled the demon for trying to take down the PGA Tour; what a fool.... and I used to be one of his biggest fans...can't stand him now.

haha I thought about this a few months back. It would be the perfect comeback for him right because of up-front money.

Totally. He could have LIV wire the funds he would owe directly to the insurance company and probably still need a solid profit. Id imagine he could get $45-$50M

Not shocking

If LIV wants to hold a single annual event or even a couple per year, and have players compete to gain entry, something like the BMW Championship, then I think they would have a case for getting points.

But because they're a full tour with so many issues they won't, and people can stop pointing to one-off events like the Hero and BMW, it's just not a good comparison despite slight similarities.

LIV fans have to face the facts - they're not getting points and there's no conspiracy or unfair ruling against them, it's just LIV ain't competitive enough, they have guys on their roster nobody in the golf world ever heard of, it's nuts to think they should get ranking points if they suddenly got hot for a week.

Maybe there could be a LIV Open Tournament that satisfies OWGR rules.

The fact that you have heard of all of the guys on all of the other tours that earn ranking points is amazing. Truly amazing.
Hell, I work in golf and havent even heard of all of the guys on the PGA Tour, which is a single entity earning points, let alone all of the others.

While I hate this for everything it has done to golf, Rory, summed it up best. Having some of the best players in the world not ranked in a system that is solely designed to rank the best players in the world regardless of where they play is severely flawed. Using some logic of “i dont like this tour so screw those guys” is fine for so many things. But to determine the actual best players in the world is not.

Trying to pretend that Bryson, DJ, Cam, etc etc etc are not great golfers is more laughable than “I dont like not having commercials”.

In the end, the only thing that matters is ANGC and its an invitational. They can do anything they want and in some ways I hope they just banish the league altogether to get rid of this entire talk of points.

The fact that you have heard of all of the guys on all of the other tours that earn ranking points is amazing. Truly amazing.
Hell, I work in golf and havent even heard of all of the guys on the PGA Tour, which is a single entity earning points, let alone all of the others.

While I hate this for everything it has done to golf, Rory, summed it up best. Having some of the best players in the world not ranked in a system that is solely designed to rank the best players in the world regardless of where they play is severely flawed. Using some logic of “i dont like this tour so screw those guys” is fine for so many things. But to determine the actual best players in the world is not.

Trying to pretend that Bryson, DJ, Cam, etc etc etc are not great golfers is more laughable than “I dont like not having commercials”.

In the end, the only thing that matters is ANGC and its an invitational. They can do anything they want and in some ways I hope they just banish the league altogether to get rid of this entire talk of points.
They do have great some players and I don't know who would say those guys aren't great players. Would anyone be shocked if nothing had changed this time next year Cam was #1 player in the world? I wouldn't.

When they went to play exhibitions, they took themselves out of the system period. The system is not flawed.....it works for those within the system. LIV Golf is welcome to start their own system with their own rules. After all they're the future of golf according to Cam Smith, right!?!. IMO

All golf tournaments are exhibitions.

Its like a broken record of proving points. “I dont like it so therefore it is”.
The original Sony Ranking was designed to create a ranking due to the influx of amazing players across the globe. This whole entire notion of “do it this way or else” and then one of the tours governing bodies changes things and then its “do it this way or else” is comical at best.

Even the PGA Tour’s biggest supporter says its flawed at best when DJ will be ranked 100th. I understand there are people with blinders on, but when Rory is saying it as well, its time to realize that the OWGR at best is antiquated and needs adapting or ANGC needs to just remove the notion of them playing so that the discussion can end.

Maybe there could be a LIV Open Tournament that satisfies OWGR rules.

hosting an open wouldn’t mean the pga would let players play in it. Nor do I think one tournament would be able to vault some of these guys into the top 50

This whole scenario is getting really weird.

Golf is just going to get more and more boring as this thing plays out. I think most of these LIV players will just leave after their 4 year contracts end and then it will just be a fight as to if they will be let back into the PGA tour.

I wish there were brighter minds behind LIV, as opposed to Greg Norman. This quick startup season went better than expected I will say, but if the litigation strategies are any indication of Normans’s aptitude as a commissioner then this thing will never reach full potential. The drafts, team continuity, logos have all not been up to par yet which is the whole allure of this league besides some of the faces they have. I’ll give them credit for adapting things on the fly when realizing it wasn’t working, but the other side of that is it adds to the “exhibition” feel of this and it still feels like bandaids on issues that could be solved under some good leadership and creative minds. Aside from the political and financial sourcing stuff, which no matter how much I don’t like it won’t stop me from consuming the product at least every once in a while. I’ll never be fully invested until the competition level feels more serious to me.

Go back to 1986 OWGR where there was no 72 hole or cut rules.

When they went to play exhibitions, they took themselves out of the system period. The system is not flawed.....it works for those within the system. LIV Golf is welcome to start their own system with their own rules. After all they're the future of golf according to Cam Smith, right!?!. IMO
Nice hyperbole. They play competitive tournaments not exhibitions. Just because they are a different structure with different incentives doesn’t mean they aren’t real tournaments.

If LIV wants to hold a single annual event or even a couple per year, and have players compete to gain entry, something like the BMW Championship, then I think they would have a case for getting points.

But because they're a full tour with so many issues they won't, and people can stop pointing to one-off events like the Hero and BMW, it's just not a good comparison despite slight similarities.

LIV fans have to face the facts - they're not getting points and there's no conspiracy or unfair ruling against them, it's just LIV ain't competitive enough, they have guys on their roster nobody in the golf world ever heard of, it's nuts to think they should get ranking points if they suddenly got hot for a week.
I believe I read today that 12 of their guys are inside the top 50 of OWGR. That’s like 22% of their field. The PGA tour has about 29% (38/125). Every other tour has something close to 0%, yet they get OWGR rankings.

OWGR changed the system a few months back. Points are distributed based on field strength now, among a few other things. Hughes won 34 points for his win at Sanderson. There is no "full" points anymore.
You mean after LIV started demonstrating its potential ongoing viability. And who’s on the board that makes this decision? Ah, that’s right, Monohan. Yeah, this is ALL about the competitiveness of the fields…

Back