The Liv Golf Rumor and News Thread

Still no chance. limited field, 54 holes, no cuts. Nice try greg. LIV needs to unload norman if they ever expect to be relevant.

That's what I was saying, they'll have to strike them on it based on the 54 hole thing, or that it's only invitational I think, and they've awarded points for that in the past. So they either have to go against some precedent or make up new rules, which would be used against them with a vengeance in court, or come up with some other equally crafty rules thing here to say no, right? I could be wrong, but it feels like a good chess move that kind of has them pinned.

Based on the players that are there, not the event. I think. Again, they just changed some of this. Or are changing? Did those go in effect yet?
Looking at their point totals it will not be enough to get anyone at any time into any major :D. 3 points for a win if you won every event they had for LIV you would have like 45 points.

The MENA Tour was included in the Official World Golf Ranking from May 2016, with three points awarded for 54-hole events and five for 72-hole events

But they will have to fit the criteria the MENA tour used to get into the OGWR right? I am guessing these points will also be weighted lower than things like PGA or do they all count the same?
Whatever event LIV has the quality of the field will certainly exceed the field that just competed at Sanderson Farms which gets full OWGR points. Just another inconsistency.

Looking at their point totals it will not be enough to get anyone at any time into any major :D. 3 points for a win if you won every event they had for LIV you would have like 45 points.

The MENA Tour was included in the Official World Golf Ranking from May 2016, with three points awarded for 54-hole events and five for 72-hole events
I'm sure almost no one highly ranked participated in that event. Others have fallen since joining and not receiving points, but still rank enough to alter that. And Cam Smith is still ranked #3 in the world. Would be an entirely different thing.

It's a MENA event now though, and they've been members of the OGWR since '16. It's not about LIV's tour receiving points.
I should have specified, I meant more about the LIV tour receiving points instead of the LIV players just hopping onto the MENA event.

I’m sure the people in that field are super fired up about their upcoming winnings when major champions are just wrecking the place

I'm sure almost no one highly ranked participated in that event. Others have fallen since joining and not receiving points, but still rank enough to alter that. And Cam Smith is still ranked #3 in the world. Would be an entirely different thing.
Yeah, for the higher up guys but those points fall off. 45 points puts you at number 200 in the world currently Pat Perez. Also that is if you win every event and I am not sure all 3 going to the winner, of its 3 for the whole tournament so like 1.5 for 1st, 1 for 2nd, and .5 for 3rd? If so that would make it even harder.

Whatever event LIV has the quality of the field will certainly exceed the field that just competed at Sanderson Farms which gets full OWGR points. Just another inconsistency.

OWGR changed the system a few months back. Points are distributed based on field strength now, among a few other things. Hughes won 34 points for his win at Sanderson. There is no "full" points anymore.

The point total for the event will be based on strokes gained world rating of the Field (which will be pretty high based on the current LIV roster), so this event would get much more than just 3 total points.

That's what I was saying, they'll have to strike them on it based on the 54 hole thing, or that it's only invitational I think, and they've awarded points for that in the past. So they either have to go against some precedent or make up new rules, which would be used against them with a vengeance in court, or come up with some other equally crafty rules thing here to say no, right? I could be wrong, but it feels like a good chess move that kind of has them pinned.

Based on the players that are there, not the event. I think. Again, they just changed some of this. Or are changing? Did those go in effect yet?
The only way OGWR can deny the claim is if they have declined any other similar tournaments from sanctioned tours in the past. I don't know if that has happened though or if all tournaments submitted for exception in the past have been approved.

I see they have a new system so I am guessing that this will give the LIV players more than the 3 points MENA normally got. I do know MENA joined with the ADT because they wouldn't get any points basically at all. So I wonder how this works with an invitational, 54 holes, and the amount of rounds played.

Need to know: OWGR's modernized system debuts this week | Golf Channel

The point total for the event will be based on strokes gained world rating of the Field (which will be pretty high based on the current LIV roster), so this event would get much more than just 3 total points.
I forgot they changed them in August. So yeah they would but I am sure the take points for 54 holes and invitational. I also think it has something to do with rounds played and so on. I am not sure how this plays out but what a freaking mess.

I forgot they changed them in August. So yeah they would but I am sure the take points for 54 holes and invitational. I also think it has something to do with rounds played and so on. I am not sure how this plays out but what a freaking mess.
I'm sure they have some kind of modification formula for the special tournaments that get approved

But the new OWGR awarding of points is not based on a points allotment to a tournament but on dynamic Strokes Gained World Ranking method.

But the new OWGR awarding of points is not based on a points allotment to a tournament but on dynamic Strokes Gained World Ranking method.
Yeah I posted after that forgetting they changed it.

The only way OGWR can deny the claim is if they have declined any other similar tournaments from sanctioned tours in the past. I don't know if that has happened though or if all tournaments submitted for exception in the past have been approved.
There has to have been a few somewhere along the way you'd think. I'm sure they're scrambling for the right precedent or rule to keep it from happening without making it look LIV specific.

I like that it's another action possibly requiring a reaction though.

LIV is trying to hide their lack of compliance in another tour, it won't work.

I do like how they've announced their success though, as if they make the rules, I'm sure that will work out for them.

What will probably happen is MENA will lose their points and be subjected to a new application, and be considered in the same manner as LIV is now if they're allowing a non-compliant tour to operate in their tour, so it's all a waste of time.

LIV needs to go after Anthony Kim. Then I would be in support!

Back