The Netflix and Streaming Thread

Netflix Orders "Punisher" Spinoff Series Starring Jon Bernthal

http://www.comicbookresources.com/a...punisher-spinoff-series-starring-jon-bernthal

HECK Ya!

I'm standing by my original statement that Punisher functions better as a sort of Deus ex Machina for other series than as a leading "protagonist" himself. The idea that he's this sort of agent of chaos who can show up and kill a character and move the plot along has always held more appeal to me than 13 hours of Punisher being an angry vigilante. I just don't think his schtick will really play that well over a whole season without getting horribly depressing (I admit here I have trouble with really bleak and depressing television, so this is my biggest fear,) laughably comic and absurd -- like Frank versus the Russian -- or makes Frank a really truly sympathetic character, which is the most likely scenario. The problem for me with making Frank Castle sympathetic is that the Hell's Kitchen Galaxy of the Marvel Comics Universe is already a pretty black & grey morality. The bad guys are terrible, and the good guys are good, but they're not exactly great people. Still, I think the heroes of Hell's Kitchen would still have a leg to stand on in finding the Punisher's methods and him pretty reprehensible. I think the intent of the Punisher in a lot of comics for the past decade is to have Frank Castle plant his flag at the far end of the anti-hero spectrum and give every other antihero in the MCU someone to look at and go, "Hey, at least I'm not as bad as the Punisher!" I think if you make a series of the Punisher, you kind of have to drag him away from that farthest edge, but I think a byproduct of that is if you make Frank Castle more like the other antiheroes of Hell's Kitchen, you also make those heroes more like Frank Castle.

I'm not saying I won't watch it, I'm just not sure I like the larger implications for the Hell's Kitchen characters. Plus, I don't want to see Iron Fist get bumped to make room, especially after Daredevil's last season.

I'm standing by my original statement that Punisher functions better as a sort of Deus ex Machina for other series than as a leading "protagonist" himself. The idea that he's this sort of agent of chaos who can show up and kill a character and move the plot along has always held more appeal to me than 13 hours of Punisher being an angry vigilante. I just don't think his schtick will really play that well over a whole season without getting horribly depressing (I admit here I have trouble with really bleak and depressing television, so this is my biggest fear,) laughably comic and absurd -- like Frank versus the Russian -- or makes Frank a really truly sympathetic character, which is the most likely scenario. The problem for me with making Frank Castle sympathetic is that the Hell's Kitchen Galaxy of the Marvel Comics Universe is already a pretty black & grey morality. The bad guys are terrible, and the good guys are good, but they're not exactly great people. Still, I think the heroes of Hell's Kitchen would still have a leg to stand on in finding the Punisher's methods and him pretty reprehensible. I think the intent of the Punisher in a lot of comics for the past decade is to have Frank Castle plant his flag at the far end of the anti-hero spectrum and give every other antihero in the MCU someone to look at and go, "Hey, at least I'm not as bad as the Punisher!" I think if you make a series of the Punisher, you kind of have to drag him away from that farthest edge, but I think a byproduct of that is if you make Frank Castle more like the other antiheroes of Hell's Kitchen, you also make those heroes more like Frank Castle.

I'm not saying I won't watch it, I'm just not sure I like the larger implications for the Hell's Kitchen characters. Plus, I don't want to see Iron Fist get bumped to make room, especially after Daredevil's last season.

I TOTALLY understand where you're coming from! That's why I'm wondering where they'll take Frank and plug him in, and how?

I don't think they are going to bump Iron Fist as they are filming that series as we speak, where as far as it seems, they are just green lighting The Punisher series, so my guess is pre-production is just getting started.

Looking forward to the punisher series

Just watched the Documentary "Trophy Kids" the other day on Netflix. I highly recommend it, if not just for the part about the golfer and her father. Pretty chilling how hard some adults push their kids in sports.

Just watched the Documentary "Trophy Kids" the other day on Netflix. I highly recommend it, if not just for the part about the golfer and her father. Pretty chilling how hard some adults push their kids in sports.

It's a great documentary even though it makes me shake my head. Some parents are insane. Friday night tykes is along those same lines where it shows how adults ruin youth sports.

It's a great documentary even though it makes me shake my head. Some parents are insane. Friday night tykes is along those same lines where it shows how adults ruin youth sports.

I will have to check that one out. I had a real hard time trying to figure out which parent I hated the most.

I will have to check that one out. I had a real hard time trying to figure out which parent I hated the most.

Haha. I know. Golf dad was probly the worst just because how young his daughter was. The basketball dad and football dad were just the classic delusional parents.

Friday night tykes is a solid watch. I think they have 3 seasons on there.

Finished the second season of "Turn" and it was terrific.
I just did as well, and now am caught up to live TV on it, what a great show!

Someone was telling me about turn a few days ago need to check it out for sure now

Season 2 of Turn is on Netflix. It's probably one of my favorite series on there.

i've been binge-watching malcom in the middle. man that show was funny, and now that we have our own kids a lot of the marriage interaction stuff is even funnier.

Bloodline was a show I really enjoyed. Can't wait for season 2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First season was phenomenal but the kid thing seems pretty meh.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Netflix has a trailer available. It's incredible. So much coming ahead in season 2

I have no clue how they continue the show, as it seems they wrapped up everything. Need to watch the trailer.

I have no clue how they continue the show, as it seems they wrapped up everything. Need to watch the trailer.

Don't forget about the aftermath from dealing with previous actions. It's not as easy as washing your hands and walking away....

Voltron is almost here.... 8 year old me is so fired up...

Dax

Back