The Newsroom (HBO Series)

JR

Reaction score
Handicap
This show starts tonight, and I am really excited about it. Anybody else gonna be watching?

I'm planning to check it out. I hope it's as good as it looks

MY mom ordered HBO this morning just for that show, I don't even know what it is. I'm excited I can come over to her house now to watch HBO series though.

I hope it has the similar writing to that of Sports Night rather than his newer shoes.

My wife and I are big fans of Aaron Sorkin's writing. We signed up for HBO a couple days ago so that we could watch (and catch up on Game of Thrones).

I'm hoping for it to be on par with West Wing

I'm hoping for it to be on par with West Wing

To me that's the ultimate standard, but I really like that frantic dialog. SportsNight was one of the most underrated series, West Wing was my favorite ever, and Studio 60 just never found it's legs. A Few Good Men and American President are two of my top 5 movies as well.

This will be the first of his shows I have ever watched, actually.

I really like Jeff Daniels. Especially in Super Sucker and Escanaba in the Moonlight.

Kevin

No HBO here, so I won't be watching.

Time??

Watching this now.... looks like it'll be an interesting series for HBO.

Missed it last night...when I'm done THPing, I'm going to see if it's available OnDemand yet.

I thought it was pretty terrific myself.

Wanted to watch but couldn't. I'll catch up to it. HBO will play it over and over again.

My wife and I are still debating whether or not to get HBO. It's an extra $19 a month with my cable company. I know that it includes a total of 6 HBO channels, but I don't want to get my cable bill to get higher. I already spend extra for HD and golf channel (required!!!LOL!!).

I enjoyed the show last night; the scene where it set everything up where he goes off on his tangent was fantastic. Will be interested in the direction the writting goes but think Jeff Daniels did a great job.

We just got done watching the first episode, and I thought it was fantastic. Jeff Bridges was great, and the overall casting seemed very good, although I'm reserving judgement on Sam Waterston's character for a bit. I really like that they are taking real news stories as their storylines.

Bhilln - That intro with the tangent was classic Sorkin writing, and I was sucked in immediately.

Just finished last night's episode, and loved it. The dynamic between Will and Mac will be interesting, but so far Jim Harper is my favorite.

Don is pretty much a tool.

The intro and the Will/Mac dynamics have me hooked. Electric dialogue.

Arrives in July for us, but the previews have started running, and I'm very excited. Good writing + good cast = winner IMO... It still irks me that Studio 60 got canned - I thought it was superb...

My wife and I watched it last night and loved it. Jeff Daniels was fantastic. I'm hoping this one continues to deliver good solid writing.

YouTube has the first episode for those who don't have HBO. I can't post links yet, but do a search.

I loved the first episode. I've been missing out on the HBO series but between this and Game of Thrones I'm back in.

Just watched the pilot - I thought the diatribes were entertaining and accurate, but the episode and show itself seemed like a bit of a mess. Are there any characters that aren't either completely undeveloped (i.e. Sam Waterson in a bowtie who seems to have no discernible attributes other than being a drunk) or mis-developed (i.e. The new anchor who has built a multi-million dollar career on navigating the straight and narrow yet comes completely unhinged and vulgar because he thinks he sees someone familiar in the audience)? Throw in the ex-girlfriend, the naive assistant, the jerk boyfriend, and the quiet guy with the exotic accent, and to me you get a pretty ordinary premise. Not what I've come to expect from Sorkin.

I thought the episode ended strong and I'm somewhat optimistic about the series, but I didn't think this was nearly as good as the pilots for Sports Night, Studio 60 or The West Wing.

Back