The Official 2014-15 NBA Thread

Wasn't he also injured in college at Duke?
(edit: I just looked it up, he played 11 games in his 1 season at Duke)

Thats a good point about them being different. Its odd to me to see a guy get so banged up be such a liability on the defensive end, although I think that improved a bit this year and hopefully next he will be at the top of his game at both ends for Cavs fans.

I didnt like the signings, as I thought better was available, but they believe they have the best squad to win it and they just might. James gives them the best player on the court every night and if the role players play to their strengths, they will once again be one of the favorites heading in.

The Love and Tristan Thompson contracts will look like bargains after the 2016 offseason. The fact they were able to get Love to sign a team friendly 5 year contract is huge. Having Kyrie locked up for another 5 years is also huge. I don't love the Tristan deal but I get why they made it. LeBron has players in every organization that he makes it clear he wants around. Tristan is that for the Cavs. Same agent and management group, same inner circle, hell LeBron even had TT in his Kia commercial. It's the same reason the Cavs won't move Varajeo. When you have the King you cater to his wants. Sad but true reality

Really like the Splitter move for the Hawks. Hate to see DeMarre leave though. He's not going to be easy to replace. Millsap's decision will be key. I think he stays.

If Millsap stays and they can get Hardaway to play defense (which apparently won't be easy), the moves will look pretty good.

I'd much prefer to see Horford play in the 4.

So what's the over/under on Kyrie actually making it through the year without being injured?

Wont happen, Im just hoping they are minimal from a numbers standpoint

Not sure why some don't like the Love and Thompson signings. If the Cavs were healthy I think they would of won it last year. When you have LBJ, you have to go all in.
Agreed, certainly not the "rebuilding" days like his first go around. I mean those guys are no Chris Mihm and Ira Newble from the first go around...but then again not too many people are

and what the heck are they going to do with Varajao

If the Mavs whiff on Deandre/LMA, I will be soooo happy!

aicecube_zps9sos4y4g.gif

Its a pretty fair question. Hasnt he been injured and missed time in each of his seasons so far? In fact I think this past year was his most games played in a season (going off memory though).

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/i/irvinky01.html

Missed 31 games his rookie year, 23 games in second year, 11 games in third year, only 7 games last year. PhillyV is right in that some of those games, especially in the first couple of years were towards the end of the season when the team wasn't very good, there wasn't a good reason to rush him back into the lineup for those games. As others have noted, he also missed 2/3 of his only season at Duke with a toe injury.

Kyrie's contract is going to be more team-friendly than Love's, FWIW. The combined money of Lebron, Kyrie and Love are going to take up a big chunk of the cap even after the big increases over the next 2 years, especially if Lebron keeps opting out after 1 year to get more money and eventually gets $40 million per year. But at this point, with Lebron on the team, it seems ownership doesn't really care about the salary cap or luxury tax, they're going to surround him with as much talent as possible and deal with the bill later. I do think that they will end up trading one or two of their bigs (Mozgov, Thompson, Varejao, Haywood, Perkins) in order to get more help on the wings, especially if JR Smith and/or Shumpert aren't resigned. Still, they should be the odds-on favorite in the East to get back to the Finals.

One more thing: someone should get into Blatt's head in the offseason and have him put Lebron, Kyrie and Love on the Spurs' plan where they are scheduled in advance to sit out a few games in the regular season to keep them fresher for the playoffs.

On the Blatt thing, he is coaching for his job every year. He doesn't have the luxury Pop has where a low seed and playoff exit is ok because of the past track record. Blatt will probably continue to coach every game like the most important game of the season

Paul Pierce to the Clippers on a 3-year deal.

As a Clippers fan....eh. Apparently signing Pierce makes it easier to sign Jordan so hopefully they get that done too.

As a Clippers fan....eh. Apparently signing Pierce makes it easier to sign Jordan so hopefully they get that done too.

3 years at $10.5 million total isn't a big financial hit at all.

Shumpert resigns 4 years $40 mil with cavs

3 years at $10.5 million total isn't a big financial hit at all.

True. I just hope they have someone or something else in mind to replace Barnes and his defense.

Pretty close to the 9 a year everyone was saying.
.does this mean bye bye jr smith?

I dunno, mr Gilbert is slanging the dough, could re-up everyone, unload Haywood and grab a back up PG. sounds good to me

Pretty close to the 9 a year everyone was saying.
.does this mean bye bye jr smith?

I wanna say JR signs with the Cavs for similar money as his player option was but with a couple more years added to the deal. Hopefully. I really like how he and Shump, LeBron and Kyrie really bonded this season

This is a terrible, terrible idea.

Hawks free agent forward DeMarre Carroll has signed a four-year, $60 million deal with Toronto

also Lakers didnt impress Alridge )per SI) so hes even closer to the sprs now
Per more recent articles, you are correct. No Lakers for LMA. Jim Buss could screw up a wet dream.

This is a terrible, terrible idea.

Trying toughen up/bring attitude to the team?

Cava need some new blood instead of the same rugrats from last season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cava need some new blood instead of the same rugrats from last season.

Lol at rug rats...just need the core and a few bench players and for 2 of the best 3 players on team not to get hurt

Lol at rug rats...just need the core and a few bench players and for 2 of the best 3 players on team not to get hurt

I agree with you there. Would like to see and upgraded to put in JR's shoes.

Well, the Sixers just curb stomped Sacramento. They took on Landry and thompson's contracts and for their trouble get Stauskas (8th pick last year ) and future first and rights to swap picks next two years. Doubtful the pick swap matters for the coming season but two years from now? Might be nice. Stauskas didn't get much of a chance in Sacramento and lord knows the Sixers could use some shooting. Great deal with no risk.

Back