The Official 2018 MLB Thread

As a Mets fan, "cautious optimism" is as good as it gets. I'm happy with the moves we made this off season. Ownership did a little more then I thought they would, the Bruce, Frazier signings were both solid. What will make or break our season is the health of our starting rotation. Jacob deGrom is a stud, and if pitching gurus Mickey Callaway and Dave Eiland can figure out how to get some combination of Matt Harvey, Steven Matz, Zach Wheeler, and Eric Syndegardd healthy and productive, we might just have something here... Conforto and Cespedes are solid. d'Arnaud gets one more shot behind the plate, Martinez at 1st, why not? Cabrera solid at 2nd, and if the kid at short is what they say... Get me some popcorn!!!

And this is why I dont blame the big clubs who are waiting to spend all their money next year....21 a year for first 5 years of Hosmer? I dont want to hear any complaining from Boras.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If anyone would like a solid veteran player for their church league softball team, the Rays will trade one to you for a KFC family bucket.
Managed to DFA and all star can't say I've seen that before

If I have to read one more story in the NY papers about David Wright and his "hoping to play", I'm going to scream. :banghead: After the Madoff scandal, the Mets have become a team with a small market mentality. His contract has been a disaster. Can't understand how the press keeps giving him a pass. He could've/should've retired years ago with an injury settlement restructuring of some kind. That would've freed up over $20 million a year in payroll.

If I have to read one more story in the NY papers about David Wright and his "hoping to play", I'm going to scream. :banghead: After the Madoff scandal, the Mets have become a team with a small market mentality. His contract has been a disaster. Can't understand how the press keeps giving him a pass. He could've/should've retired years ago with an injury settlement restructuring of some kind. That would've freed up over $20 million a year in payroll.

Stop paying Bonilla lol

I think insurance is covering a good portion of his payroll for the Mets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think insurance is covering a good portion of his payroll for the Mets.

I know what you're saying, but I'm not sure how that works exactly. Are they reimbursed at the end of each season he doesn't play? Does him making even one appearance void their liability? Or is it not paid at all until it's determined he will never be able to play again?

I know what you're saying, but I'm not sure how that works exactly. Are they reimbursed at the end of each season he doesn't play? Does him making even one appearance void their liability? Or is it not paid at all until it's determined he will never be able to play again?
It's year to year based on inability to play for an insured event (preexisting injuries are often excluded). I imagine it reimburses at the end when they know how much time the person misses and how much the claimed amount is, but maybe it pays on pay cycles.

It's year to year based on inability to play for an insured event (preexisting injuries are often excluded). I imagine it reimburses at the end when they know how much time the person misses and how much the claimed amount is, but maybe it pays on pay cycles.

‘Most policies cover between 50-80% of the total contract value with premiums as high as 10% of the contract’s annual value. No insurer will cover the entire value of the contract, so there will always be some sort of risk on the teams part.”

Since I've brought up my Amazin's, what do you guys think of their chances this year? with the exception of the Nats, the division is horrible. I'm hoping they can rack up enough wins against the Marlins, Phils, and Braves to get at least a wild card. A lot of things would have to fall in place for us to beat out Washington, but I don't think it's out of the question. Am I being too optimistic? (not a word usually associated with a Mets/Jets fan) LOL

Since I've brought up my Amazin's, what do you guys think of their chances this year? with the exception of the Nats, the division is horrible. I'm hoping they can rack up enough wins against the Marlins, Phils, and Braves to get at least a wild card. A lot of things would have to fall in place for us to beat out Washington, but I don't think it's out of the question. Am I being too optimistic? (not a word usually associated with a Mets/Jets fan) LOL

They should be in the mix for the WC. Bullpen is stronger. Need Conforto back ASAP. Should be tolerable to watch (I set the bar low).

They should be in the mix for the WC. Bullpen is stronger. Need Conforto back ASAP. Should be tolerable to watch (I set the bar low).

Me too. LOL. Every year since I moved down south, I think about whether or not I'm going to spend the money for MLB Season Pass. I keep saying at the end of a season, "that's it, never again". But then we start reading about pitchers and catchers reporting, and then I get the call from my cable company offering early bird pricing. I laugh at myself for even doubting I would renew. Hey, it's baseball. I've always loved it, always will. If only I made better choices as a kid. Mets, Jets, Rangers, Knicks. One championship every 30-40 years for each. And yeah, I do know EXACTLY how long for each, so I know it's actually worse then that.

You guys will be fine once Tebow is called up

You guys will be fine once Tebow is called up

Ouch! you brought up Bonilla AND Tebow? You, sir, are a very cruel man. Is George Foster next?

My biggest hope for the Redsox this season is that David Price is Healthy and has a good year and then OPT'S OUT of Boston.

I know its highly doubtful that he will be healthy but if there is a god please make it happen.

JD Martinez signs with Boston

Figured it would get done eventually. 5 year deal with an opt out after 2 years. I like it.

Figured it would get done eventually. 5 year deal with an opt out after 2 years. I like it.

1st two years at 50 million per....wow! He didn't get his 7 years but he certainly got paid! It's not my money so I really don't care but good signing by them. They needed the bat in the middle of the lineup.

I know the Reds won't be good this year but I am excited to watch the young guys progress.

1st two years at 50 million per....wow! He didn't get his 7 years but he certainly got paid! It's not my money so I really don't care but good signing by them. They needed the bat in the middle of the lineup.
Seriously? That is nucking futs!

$25 million per year during 1st 2 years. So $50 million of the total contract of $110 million is in the first 2 years. Another advantage of paying him $25 mill in 2018 is that it virtually locks that Hanley will not get the number of at bats he needs to activate the ovre $20 million option for 2019 and they will be done with him after the 2018 season.

Seriously? That is nucking futs!

Or maybe it was 50 million over the 1st two years. That sounds more reasonable. As you can imagine, rumors are coming in hot and heavy up here with this signing

Heard a guy talking about Conforto's injury on the radio the other day and his difficult it is to come back from. Doesn't sound good.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Back