The Official Banter Away Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will apologize for last night. Sort of overreacted probably, and I certainly know better. I think I just grow tired of the same issue being brought up over and over again, and I could have reacted much differently. It will not happen again.

Everyone enjoy your Tuesday!

Ill be honest here and say I have read that whole thread more than a dozen times now. Outside of the "Im leaving stuff" I don't think you ever said anything bad or wrong. There was a poster with an incredible antagonistic tone and someone can say tone can't be heard in typed posts, to that I say its not true all of the time. The tone was there and is easy to find with use of punctuation, wording and responses.

This went on for multiple pages before I guess the thread was closed, conversation was moved here and some PMs were sent I guess.

I guess I'll be that guy. If one half of an issue is literally wrong, is it really a great topic for ongoing discussion? (I agree with other stuff mentioned about civility and just going to another part of the site if you don't like a topic.)

I tend to agree except one problem. Its often forgotten that literally hundreds of millions of eyeballs read THP. They don't see those PMs. They see what is in front of them and taking a conversation/debate behind the scenes does not help.

Agreed. But it would have been in public had the thread stayed open since the conversation moved to a completely unrelated thread. I PMd several people including you. Some responded and some didn't. Nothing should ever be taken too personal on here and that's my fault. It shouldn't have gotten to that point.

Agreed. But it would have been in public had the thread stayed open since the conversation moved to a completely unrelated thread. I PMd several people including you. Some responded and some didn't. Nothing should ever be taken too personal on here and that's my fault. It shouldn't have gotten to that point.

I received no such PM dude.
I will say that I thought you took things a bit over the top in that thread when a number of others were trying to have the conversation and had a person like War Eagle speaking from both sides. Im not sure why, and its no big deal and I guess has been rectified with the PMs, but it happens.

I will say that I thought you took things a bit over the top in that thread when a number of others were trying to have the conversation and had a person like War Eagle speaking from both sides. Im not sure why, and its no big deal and I guess has been rectified with the PMs, but it happens.

Check your PMs. I sent it this morning. Says it went to JNatthp. Tone is tough to read but admittedly mine was getting more and more terse as the night went on. Some poking and prodding by others caused that but I allowed it to come out. There's still some PinSlayer in me I guess

Regardless, I hope everyone has a great Tuesday. Too bad it's 29 degrees in Cleveland right now. (Why do I live here?)

Check your PMs. I sent it this morning. Says it went to JNatthp. Tone is tough to read but admittedly mine was getting more and more terse as the night went on. Some poking and prodding by others caused that but I allowed it to come out. There's still some PinSlayer in me I guess

Regardless, I hope everyone has a great Tuesday. Too bad it's 29 degrees in Cleveland right now. (Why do I live here?)

I don't know who JNatthp is. You can send it to JB on this very platform and I am happy to read it and correspond.

I said my piece last night, but I do think we, as a community, can help newer members learn the style that THP converses in. Yes, some take (much) longer than others, but a bit of encouragement or a PM goes an awful long way. I don't need to be agreed with, just how I see it. If all one can muster is "not this conversation again" I think we need to employ the "awesome, 1000s of other threads that interest you to post in" mentality.

I think it may have been through tapatalk message, as I just noticed i had a message from PKorf myself but not through the traditional PM system.

I don't know who JNatthp is. You can send it to JB on this very platform and I am happy to read it and correspond.

Sorry. JBATTHP. I'll try and send a different way

Sorry. JBATTHP. I'll try and send a different way
Ya sending messages through tapatalk is tricky sometimes. Always best to just send it through the web browser

Yea sorry guys for some reason Tapatalk is really wonky with PMs and I M usually on the road

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I said my piece last night, but I do think we, as a community, can help newer members learn the style that THP converses in. Yes, some take (much) longer than others, but a bit of encouragement or a PM goes an awful long way. I don't need to be agreed with, just how I see it. If all one can muster is "not this conversation again" I think we need to employ the "awesome, 1000s of other threads that interest you to post in" mentality.

I think it may have been through tapatalk message, as I just noticed i had a message from PKorf myself but not through the traditional PM system.

Im 100% behind that and employ it myself all of the time. I also believe in making sure information is correct. Still not sure how an extra 8 months is magically the right time frame and the other is not enough time, but that is neither here nor there.

I believe that some people view THP as this small little community of inside jokes and real names as if everybody knows each other. its just not the case, as there are literally hundreds of thousands of readers each month and over 150 million eyeballs each month. Its why I don't call anybody by their real names. However with all of that said, people also have to want to be on THP, in a constructive way. To give you an example, had that same thread been started by a member who's name rhymed with Fistery Feet last night, nobody would have been this kind.

Im 100% behind inclusive, however at the same time one must want to be included instead of anti-establishment to the world in general. I say this not at any poster, or THP at all, just general musings about the internet as a whole.

I do agree and believe that some try to make this a club or clique, and that is the one negative of THP Events for the masses, but in the end it still goes back to the idea that people should enjoy this community any way they want to, as long as they are civil and follow just the small amount of rules we have. If they don't want to be civil, I am sure there are communities that are cool with that too, but this is not one of them.

omg i wanna change my name to Fishery Feet

I'm not going to lie, The Fishery Feet analogy literally made me laugh out loud.

It was actually a typo and corrected to Fistery Feet.
lol this whole conversation is similar to something were dealing with at work. We are very good at what we do. Are we the best? That depends on who is answering the question. To us, we are the best at what we do, but we arent perfect. There are always things we can work on to help continuously improve our process. And i sort of see that here. There is some sort of misinterpretation or misrepresentation between members who have created bonds through events and gatherings and endless nights of golf conversation and the newer members. I figured this out sort of right away when i joined THP. It wasnt as smooth of a start as i would have hoped for but i put myself out there and dove in and THP has been a huge part of my life since then. But that was probably the hardest thing ive had to do here, go out of my comfort zone and take that leap. Maybe I can do a better job of helping newer members make that leap.

lol this whole conversation is similar to something were dealing with at work. We are very good at what we do. Are we the best? That depends on who is answering the question. To us, we are the best at what we do, but we arent perfect. There are always things we can work on to help continuously improve our process. And i sort of see that here. There is some sort of misinterpretation or misrepresentation between members who have created bonds through events and gatherings and endless nights of golf conversation and the newer members. I figured this out sort of right away when i joined THP. It wasnt as smooth of a start as i would have hoped for but i put myself out there and dove in and THP has been a huge part of my life since then. But that was probably the hardest thing ive had to do here, go out of my comfort zone and take that leap. Maybe I can do a better job of helping newer members make that leap.

I believe it. I don't think its my place (or anyones) to tell someone how to act on THP, as long as its civil. I do think that trying so hard to make it a clique with jokes and such comes off poorly, but also understand that part of that is on THP for having the events. It brings good and bad. Good, because we make the impossible, possible. Bad, because it leads to backroom chats, inside jokes and leaving people feeling left out.

I have learned over the years that context is king. Backroom chats and inside jokes lack it. It doesn't mean there is no place for it, but it needs to be remembered that hundreds of thousands are not going to get it, and immediately have a thought or thoughts on you and this place, that people claim means a lot to them.

HAHAHAHAHA! I was just glared at by the entire math science hallway of teachers for being only 1 minute early to cover a class today while that teacher admin's a test, they were all pacing around.

I love being the outcast science teacher, and this is why my classroom isn't in the main building.

#LeavemealoneImgrumpy

I think that kind of reaching out does wonders, especially if it's from someone who is considered a very active member of the community. I know i could have used that when I first really started posting (but that is a long story that I'd rather not bother with), and still appreciate those messages years later. It's not a matter of 'have' to, but it's certainly the ultimate feeling of inclusion to see that PM message pop.

I also think the type of person worthy of your time is about as clear as day. There have been some notations about a member who publicly stated he posted things to see reactions, and frankly that is no concern of mine how badly he got peppered in threads thereafter.

I find out today if I'm going to start working in my local golf mart again. They've been looking for someone in the repairs set and guess the pickings are slim so I said I would do it once a week on Sunday's until they found someone. Would be cool to be back in the shop, tinkering again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So there is outcry here locally because our city owned course is doing discounted green fees until May 30th. For $32.00 you can play 18 holes with an included cart. A great number, when you consider this course had been under water/flooded/destroyed with 2 seasons of no play, and they are trying to draw people back.

Other local courses, are complaining publicly (in the newspaper and social media), that the city owned course is endangering the viability of privately owned courses with it's low green fees. They argue that other courses will suffer due to having higher rates. For example, one local 9 hole course charges $20 for 9 holes, $28 for 18, and then another $15 for cart. Other courses are usually in the $30 range for green fees plus the cost of a cart. But these fees keep increasing every year.

I can see both sides of the issue, with the city course needing to draw customers, and with the private courses being worried they will lose groupings. As a golfer though, $32 all in for golf is a killer deal here, and has a lot of us excited to play. Even after the "early season discount is removed" I would be paying $22.50 per 18 plus cart (regular price I believe is $28).

I see it more as a win-win. I can play a great course for 1.5 months at a super low cost. After that, I can get out to other courses in the area with more available tee times because the city course is functional, leaving more available tee times because there is then an additional course that will vie for a person's golf dollar. Yes competition might hurt your business, but it might also make golf more accessible to others and grow the sport, and in turn maybe there will be more people who want to support golf here locally.

I don't want to beat the horse but I figured real quick id just add my .02. I've been on here long enough to see trends and the way stuff works online and honestly I think threads get out of hand because of the piling on. Im so damn guilty of this and have tried to fix it but sometimes taking a jab is just too easy although wrong. I think during conversation, although sometimes kinda heated, having people pile on just backs one party into a corner and they can't help but strike. Immediately one feels the need to defend themselves and bam nasty tones and comments come out. You can almost see these changes like that. I think the thing to do is to ACTUALLY walk away and not post "dude walk away". Like I said, ive piled on too many times and it never helps. Ill make the effort to change along with hopefully everyone else so no new or long time members feel like that. I think the "lifers" comment comes from that exact scenario. Ok end banter / rant, I'm going to go shovel lol

I think my hangover is worse this morning because I bet UNC -2 last night. I should have called in, slept until lunch and then went to the golf course.

I'm going to miss my little Panda buddy after he leaves today. Looks like he was busy on THP once the BB game was over last night!

Serious question: When did Tic Tac go to so many flavors to choose from??!!

Serious question: When did Tic Tac go to so many flavors to choose from??!!

When they became more awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back