The Official Banter Away Thread

#500... That moment when you hear Masters theme and birds chirping with a Hello Friends....

How are you going about searching? There are two books on the job search I recommend highly:

Knock Em Dead

Rites of Passage
Feedback I have had has been positive for the couple posts, I have just been pipped by people who have been in the organisation doing a very similar job

The one disadvantage of trying to move into a completely different sector of work

Ok, you’re going too far now.

Plant based chicken? Hard no

26265388-5025-4372-A393-50F51B02CD3D.jpeg

Last edited:
I eat food. Food eats plants.

Ok, you’re going to far now.

Plant based chicken? Hard no

View attachment 9060360

Yeah! I've seen those ads and completely agree. I don't want plant burger, plant chicken or plant anything other than real plants! I love green beans, baby limas, peas, carrots, lettuce, broccoli, brussels sprouts, celery, onions, and just about anything else you could imagine in that realm! Why do we have to make something into something that it is not! I know! It's to keep the "squeamish" comfortable.
I read a newspaper articaly about this years ago, when the columnist spotted a trend far before anyone else did. This was when meat started showing up on styrofoam platters under shrink wrap! He maintained that this was to divorce people from the real source of their food! They could not associate it with an animal any more! And it worked!

Just ask modern kids where their "food" comes from! They will say "the grocery store" unless they've been raised right! By one or both parents who hunt and/or gather!

Our food comes from the earth!

Flying out to our Sparks warehouse tomorrow. They fired the warehouse manager and the top two folks under him on Friday. craziness

Grrrrr

99161319-D225-4115-9126-B1E84968502D.jpeg

Earlier we had this.. and it's been icing on top of it ever since..
20220116_130806.jpg

Last time we had snow our neighbor helped us shovel out. Today my other neighbor with the monster snowblower is helping us out. People are awesome!

16" here and that is too much for the snowblower... That's a lot of shoveling... Thanks to the snow plows who dumped an extra 4 feet at the end of driveway

Last night at 10 pm.
IMG_20220116_214934.jpg

This morning at 9am, 11 hours later.
IMG_20220117_091238.jpg
IMG_20220117_090958.jpg

Still expecting another 3 to 5 inches today.

Add a few more for me at 16" in driveway... Good luck clearing it if you have to.. remember to take breaks!

My theragun wannabe is ready for the first really test!

24" snowblower makes short work of it. :)

I have a family member who is going through some serious mental issues. I am trying really hard to be patient and be there for them, but it's getting harder and harder every day. They have started therapy, but just 1 session so far, and another one will happen tomorrow, but I just don't know what to do. On the one hand, I want to be as kind and compassionate as possible, but on the other hand I fear I am just enabling them and their incredibly irrational thoughts. I hate seeing them like this, but I also don't know how much more I can take, which makes me feel like a horrible person too.

I have a family member who is going through some serious mental issues. I am trying really hard to be patient and be there for them, but it's getting harder and harder every day. They have started therapy, but just 1 session so far, and another one will happen tomorrow, but I just don't know what to do. On the one hand, I want to be as kind and compassionate as possible, but on the other hand I fear I am just enabling them and their incredibly irrational thoughts. I hate seeing them like this, but I also don't know how much more I can take, which makes me feel like a horrible person too.

You are not a horrible person. A horrible person would have written them off the minute they were negatively impacting your life. A horrible person doesn't stress themselves to the limit trying to do the right thing by the loved one. Walking the line of love between enablement and "tough love" crutial conversations is a faint one and most of the time really hard to see when you are trying to straddle it. Deciding when to be on one side versus the other is one of the hardest decisions to make in life. Don't get down on yourself for the struggle. Everyone struggles with this one, even those who are trained and paid to deal with this in others. You are not alone. Depend on others as others depend on you to bring perspective and a different view. You are doing your best and that's all anyone can ever ask.

I understand what you’re saying about the feeling of being compassionate versus enabling. Sometimes it’s a fine line and it certainly isn’t easy, but you have to try and set your boundaries and stick to them. I hope everything works out for your family member!

You are not a horrible person. A horrible person would have written them off the minute they were negatively impacting your life. A horrible person doesn't stress themselves to the limit trying to do the right thing by the loved one. Walking the line of love between enablement and "tough love" crutial conversations is a faint one and most of the time really hard to see when you are trying to straddle it. Deciding when to be on one side versus the other is one of the hardest decisions to make in life. Don't get down on yourself for the struggle. Everyone struggles with this one, even those who are trained and paid to deal with this in others. You are not alone. Depend on others as others depend on you to bring perspective and a different view. You are doing your best and that's all anyone can ever ask.

I understand what you’re saying about the feeling of being compassionate versus enabling. Sometimes it’s a fine line and it certainly isn’t easy, but you have to try and set your boundaries and stick to them.

Thank you guys! I just don't know what to do, because it's starting to affect my life too. It's a nonstop, all day every day thing. And if I don't answer they spiral because I didn't answer them. I have already been dealing with today's issues since 7am.

Thank you guys! I just don't know what to do, because it's starting to affect my life too. It's a nonstop, all day every day thing. And if I don't answer they spiral because I didn't answer them. I have already been dealing with today's issues since 7am.
Obviously we don't know the details and I doubt many of us have mental health backgrounds. If you have the time and capacity do you allow yourself to just support them by listening? There are so many different things that could be encompassed within a mental health breakdown, but if the person can be logical but isn't most of the time are you able to have logic train conversations with them? Are they able to understand boundaries as well? Stuff like "I'm currently working right now, but can we discuss this at 2 when I have a break for 15 minutes?" you then have a dedicated time and an end period to say at 2:15 that you need to wrap up the conversation so you can get back to work etc.

Obviously we don't know the details and I doubt many of us have mental health backgrounds. If you have the time and capacity do you allow yourself to just support them by listening? There are so many different things that could be encompassed within a mental health breakdown, but if the person can be logical but isn't most of the time are you able to have logic train conversations with them? Are they able to understand boundaries as well? Stuff like "I'm currently working right now, but can we discuss this at 2 when I have a break for 15 minutes?" you then have a dedicated time and an end period to say at 2:15 that you need to wrap up the conversation so you can get back to work etc.

There is currently no logic in this situation. No boundaries, no matter if I try to set them or not. It's a full breakdown, and I'm simply not equipped to deal with it properly, but I'm basically a mother to this person so a lot of times it all falls on me. I am just glad they are starting to get help, and I have volunteered to be a part of the sessions if it will help. Maybe I can learn tools to help this person that way as well.

Somehow after seeing the photos of upstate NY and Ohio the 8" of accumulation we received overnight seems so insignificant...

20220117_084924.jpg

Back