The Official NFL 2010 Thread [Spoilers]

Status
Not open for further replies.
#4 Woooooooo!

So you said you dont have a problem with players holding out, but you have said you have a problem with him getting more.

Both the Vikings and Favre's agent have said he never asked for more money and it was merely there way to try and get him back since they had room. Nobody will ever know the truth, but both sides saying it seems better than the player saying 'screw the team, I need to get mines'.

Im sure I am wrong, but I have to say that it sounds to me more like a Cowboy fan that hates Favre. Im not a fan of his, but the fact is he gives them the best opportunity to win this year. He never said a word all offseason and the media once again tried to turn it into a circus.

I still just dont understand why someone has an issue with this, and yet no issue with a guy saying "screw the contract pay me".

I'm ok with him getting more money...I told you the whole thing from me was that they were saying its for the the love of the game. I thought the same thing of AROD when he signed back with the yankees after opting out. He came back for love of the Yankees...the extra money always helps. I don't like when guys hold out, but I can understand why they do it. I think it would be better if they treated the situation like Andre Johnson, change your contract, but still show up to work. If I wanted a raise, I would still have to show up for work, I couldn't just sit home on THP all day(though I do that I work don't I?)

I don't hate Favre, as I've said, I'm glad he's back. He's exciting to watch, and he makes the Vikings a better team.

time to drive home....thanks for keeping me occupied

So you said you dont have a problem with players holding out, but you have said you have a problem with him getting more.

Both the Vikings and Favre's agent have said he never asked for more money and it was merely there way to try and get him back since they had room. Nobody will ever know the truth, but both sides saying it seems better than the player saying 'screw the team, I need to get mines'.

Im sure I am wrong, but I have to say that it sounds to me more like a Cowboy fan that hates Favre. Im not a fan of his, but the fact is he gives them the best opportunity to win this year. He never said a word all offseason and the media once again tried to turn it into a circus.

I still just dont understand why someone has an issue with this, and yet no issue with a guy saying "screw the contract pay me".

Both sides might be saying the same thing but they could also just be blowing smoke for PR purposes - they need a new stadium and don't need any negative press right now. And maybe Favre does need money (Just as Mark Brunnel). Perhaps he bought too many pairs of jeans?

Favre sitting out all through training camp is all it was about. I'm sure he knew he wanted to keep playing, he just didn't want to go through two-a-days with the rest of the team. I find that no better than a holdout. He wanted to be lazy to the detriment of the overall team. That is just plain selfishness. If his body can't handle two-a-days I'm sure they'd have let him practice once per day instead, but at least then he is with the team and working and all of the pieces are in place instead of wasting three weeks practicing with other QBs.

Both sides might be saying the same thing but they could also just be blowing smoke for PR purposes - they need a new stadium and don't need any negative press right now. And maybe Favre does need money (Just as Mark Brunnel). Perhaps he bought too many pairs of jeans?

Pure speculation and guessing. The thoughts behind that have no basis other than guessing.

Glad that Favre is back. Although I hate the man he makes the games more exciting. And JB you are right that the media is the one blowing it up this year. HOWEVER, Favre could have very easily had his handlers issue a quick statement that day all hell broke loose saying that he had still not made up his mind about whether he was coming back or not. Instead he let the Vikes fans and players whither in the wind for 24 hours thinking that he was officially retired. As usual he handled the situation with total class. NOT!

Glad that Favre is back. Although I hate the man he makes the games more exciting. And JB you are right that the media is the one blowing it up this year. HOWEVER, Favre could have very easily had his handlers issue a quick statement that day all hell broke loose saying that he had still not made up his mind about whether he was coming back or not. Instead he let the Vikes fans and players whither in the wind for 24 hours thinking that he was officially retired. As usual he handled the situation with total class. NOT!

Im not sure I agree. When ESPN put out that statement, he corrected them. Should a guy be asked to constantly correct ESPN and Fox Sports for blatant lies over and over again. They have made up half of this entire story.

I don't remember seeing an official statement that read "I'm not retiring or coming back. I have not made up my mind." The only thing that I heard was that some of the Vikes players got text's saying he was done. Now Favre is trying to spin it by saying his text meant this was his final year. Cmon. Go watch ESPN now. Anonymous sources saying Favre doesn't trust Childress. The guy is poison which can taste great at first but eventually eats away at the team from the inside.

I don't remember seeing an official statement that read "I'm not retiring or coming back. I have not made up my mind." The only thing that I heard was that some of the Vikes players got text's saying he was done. Now Favre is trying to spin it by saying his text meant this was his final year. Cmon. Go watch ESPN now. Anonymous sources saying Favre doesn't trust Childress. The guy is poison which can taste great at first but eventually eats away at the team from the inside.

If you say so.

He seemed to not eat away at GB year after year. They kept him there just fine.

ESPN and their anonymous sources are the same that said he was retiring 3 weeks ago, and then his people immediately came on and said he never said that. He has said all along, that if he is healthy he would play.

Again, I am not a fan of his, but the ones that hate him try and find a lot wrong with this when frankly THIS YEAR, it is not there.

Lol I do say so!! It was not ESPN saying it but Yahoo Sports. I just happened to see it while watching the Herd on ESPN. With regards to his retirement this year I stand by what I said. He sent texts to his team mates saying he was done. As far as I know(and I did look as I want to be correct in what I state) he did not respond to those reports at all for at least a full day. That is way too long to not come out with a statement if in fact the report was not true. And it was not anonymous sources on that. Some of the Vikes players showed the texts to other reporters. With regards to GB winning tends to brush over everything else. Ask Javon Walker how much he loved having Favre as a teammate. Ask Rodgers how he loved having Favre as a teammate. Ask any Jet how awesome it was to have a future HOF'er in the locker room. Well at least he got dressed in the same stadium as they did. In a few years ask future HOF'er Jared Allen how great it was to have to fly down to Mississippi to beg Favre to make up his mind either way. IMO that does not show any class toward your team. How many times did he have to say in his press conference that he is doing this as a favor to the Vikes players?

With all of my Favre rants I do have to say that I love him as a player. The epitome of a tough gun slinging QB. It's simply a better season with him taking the snaps for the Vikes over say Jackson. Hey I want my Boys to get their revenge with Favre back there. As a long time Cowboy fan I loved him as QB of the Pack. We could always count on him coming up with some unbelievably bad brain fart or fumble that would hand us the game(obviously last year being the exception grrrrrr.) As far as I'm concerned he has earned his adoring reputation. You lace it up every Sunday for 20 years with all sorts of injuries and including his dad's death and play your heart out every game and you deserve all accolades that come your way. If he were a Cowboy I would probably love him although we would have had a few less SB rings IMO. Definitely a top all time QB. I probably would have him a little lower than most lists though.

As far as I know(and I did look as I want to be correct in what I state) he did not respond to those reports at all for at least a full day. That is way too long to not come out with a statement if in fact the report was not true. And it was not anonymous sources on that. Some of the Vikes players showed the texts to other reporters. With regards to GB winning tends to brush over everything else. Ask Javon Walker how much he loved having Favre as a teammate.

You expect a guy to respond to reports faster than 24 hours? YOU MUST HATE Tiger Woods then. The very next day, the guy came out and said "I have said all along, if I am healthy I will play". He's back and still not really talking, but the media wants to paint the same picture they do, because it brings in ratings.

And you should never EVER use Walker for anything. I worked with him fresh out of school and for years after that. I wont even go there, but there is an old joke about lawyers and knowing when they are lying. Selfish people will always find a way to paint a broad picture.

I suppose that McNabb is terrible because TO said so too. They were teammates, so it must be the case.

Lol TO is always a bad example. Cmon now. I only used Walker as an example because of the hold out and injury incident and the influence Favre had in that. The entire Jet team couldn't stand the guy so that has to count for something. And with regards to McNabb hey you never know. Seems like quite a few guys had some less than flattering things to say about him. And yes I would think that Favre could have just had one of his lackeys release a quick statement that day stating nothing was official. As far as I recall that news broke pretty early that day. Either way the texts were sent. Also Tiger is a different case altogether. I don't see how a comparison can be made here. Favre's was an easy thing to clear up and Woods was just a teensy bit messy. IMO(and we are entering conspiracy theory land here) Favre did not issue a retraction quickly because he had to see which teammates showed the texts to reporters. If he had quickly just said hey I didn't say I was retiring it would have gotten ugly when reporters would have started commenting on personally seeing the texts from the Vikes players and the players would then have had to either lie and back Favre or issue blanket no comments which would have looked bad for #4. Either way it's over with and we get another season of the drama. Should be a great season.

Lol TO is always a bad example. Cmon now. I only used Walker as an example because of the hold out and injury incident and the influence Favre had in that. The entire Jet team couldn't stand the guy so that has to count for something. And with regards to McNabb hey you never know. Seems like quite a few guys had some less than flattering things to say about him. And yes I would think that Favre could have just had one of his lackeys release a quick statement that day stating nothing was official. As far as I recall that news broke pretty early that day. Either way the texts were sent. Also Tiger is a different case altogether. I don't see how a comparison can be made here. Favre's was an easy thing to clear up and Woods was just a teensy bit messy. IMO(and we are entering conspiracy theory land here) Favre did not issue a retraction quickly because he had to see which teammates showed the texts to reporters. If he had quickly just said hey I didn't say I was retiring it would have gotten ugly when reporters would have started commenting on personally seeing the texts from the Vikes players and the players would then have had to either lie and back Favre or issue blanket no comments which would have looked bad for #4. Either way it's over with and we get another season of the drama. Should be a great season.

Or, people can believe what they would like to and not think about breaking into conspiracy theories. Anytime the press makes a statement, you get your ducks in a row, talk to your people, and then issue a statement. Which he did the very next day.

And I wasnt comparing it to TW. However, as you said, it does not take that long to have the people make a simple statement. Except when it does...

As for Walker. Like I said before, people can believe what they would like to in regards to players' thoughts, but some people are more trustworthy than others. And knowing this player and working with this player personally, I can tell you that if you arent going to believe TO, then you should not believe Walker.

And if he was such a bad cancer as you called him, I find it hard to believe so many players would want him back. Most of what you are "reporting and saying" is nothing more than heresy reported by the same media outlets that have botched this story from day one this year.

I'm not clear as to why they would have flown down to talk to him if they didn't want him to play?

I'm not clear as to why they would have flown down to talk to him if they didn't want him to play?

Because with the exception of one or two guys (that is always the case on teams), the Vikes players love having him there.

Just curious what you mean by that, You played football with him or coached him? Thats awesome if you did!

No, I worked for the NFL for a number of years on both the NFL side and the agent side. I dont discuss it here though.

I think the entire team wanted him to play(well maybe 2 QB's didn't). As a player you want to win and Favre gives them the best chance to win by far.

No, I worked for the NFL for a number of years on both the NFL side and the agent side. I dont discuss it here though.
What? And we agreed to play fantasy football against you! How dumb are we!?
Just kidding, it's mostly luck anyway.

idk about mostly luck. 16 team league takes some good researching and knowledge to win lol

I know a lot about the game and the players at times. I try and get some inside scoop like last year with Charles and Forsett as my last two picks. But you are right, FF comes down to injuries, and intangibles most of the time.

3RD and 1 and Romo is in shotgun? Really Garret?

3RD and 1 and Romo is in shotgun? Really Garret?

I guess he forgot about barber. Or hell even felix could have got a yard. They havent looked good all pre season.

Does it seem like rivers has a weird throwing motion? Its almost like he is short arming it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back