The Official Rant of the Day

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not very happy with myself.

Pride, and stubbornness getting in my way.
I wish I could just let go and go with the flow, even if I don't agree with it.

But, I hold steadfast in my beliefs.
Not always a popular thing.

Maybe not always the right thing.
Hang in there buddy. Tomorrow Is a new day and 1 day closer to a fun day of lots of golf and laughs in just 11 days

We are having a system upgrade at work, so I am here twiddling my thumbs until Monday. At least I can catch up on some THP and other internet time.

Had a conversation last night with my former boss (as of July). Shortly after I left, the accountant got fired, and had only been there about 2 months. She came to me to complain about it, and I listened and said I was there for her for whatever. Turns out, in the less than 90 days she was there, she embezzled $23,000. This really gets to me because I was brought in to help stabilize the financial situation of the company. When she came aboard, I kind of gave her most of that responsibility as she was a CPA, and the boss wanted me to start focusing on getting financing lined up and in order. I'm really just beside myself with all of this. It turns out she embezzled half a million from a former employer and spent 6.5 years in prison. I sure wish the staffing agency would have told us that when they presented her to us!

Wow. It amazes me how some people, strike that, criminals will just continue to steal or commit crimes after being caught.

I guess it shouldn't though. It must be inherent in their nature.

Some mornings you're the windshield, some mornings you're the bug....today I was the bug.

Some mornings you're the windshield, some mornings you're the bug....today I was the bug.

Aint that the truth. I said the exact same thing yesterday. Hang in there buddy.

Wow. It amazes me how some people, strike that, criminals will just continue to steal or commit crimes after being caught.

I guess it shouldn't though. It must be inherent in their nature.

Yes, after this, I truly believe it is inherent in their nature as well. After spending 6.5 years in prison for the exact same thing, she couldn't pass when the opportunity arose to do the same thing. Reform huh?

Yes, after this, I truly believe it is inherent in their nature as well. After spending 6.5 years in prison for the exact same thing, she couldn't pass when the opportunity arose to do the same thing. Reform huh?
First I feel bad for you, you most certainly must feel taken advantage of, and I have been in similar positions.

And yes, it's much like ciminals of any sort, be it robbery, DUI, Child Molestations, Spouse Abuse, how often do you read stories about they are out of prison/jail less than weeks or months and commit a very similar crime. I know this is a much deeper subject for a different thread. But still very disturbing when it hits close to home.

My wife sent me some things to print out at the office yesterday that my 8yr old needed to turn in today for an assignment. Our printer at home was acting up.

I get to the office today and what do I find in my bag? His printouts. I completely forgot to put them in his backpack.

I know it's a minor rant, but I absolutely hate letting my kids down. Hate it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had a conversation last night with my former boss (as of July). Shortly after I left, the accountant got fired, and had only been there about 2 months. She came to me to complain about it, and I listened and said I was there for her for whatever. Turns out, in the less than 90 days she was there, she embezzled $23,000. This really gets to me because I was brought in to help stabilize the financial situation of the company. When she came aboard, I kind of gave her most of that responsibility as she was a CPA, and the boss wanted me to start focusing on getting financing lined up and in order. I'm really just beside myself with all of this. It turns out she embezzled half a million from a former employer and spent 6.5 years in prison. I sure wish the staffing agency would have told us that when they presented her to us!

Can you get me her contact info? I know of some competitors who are hiring in their acct depts

All joking aside. This is one of the things I feel strongest about.

Don't eff with the Constitution, or its application.

(Not you in particular. Just in general.)

Which parts of the Constitution are people getting ready to tear up? I don't think you have seen anything other than lighthearted suggestions that there be no trial. But at the same time, there is a difference between the Constitution and our current justice system, which is regularly abused with the sole intent of dragging out an execution.

You can argue against the death penalty, though I am not sure there is a compelling Constitutional prohibition of it.

I guess my summary is that you assert that it is more expensive to execute someone than it is to keep someone in prison for life. That's not because the death penalty is expensive to apply. It's because of the justice system is cumbersome. I will concede that I never want to see an innocent person executed for something they didn't do, and am willing to see the system take every means to make sure that doesn't happen. However, in cases where there is no doubt that someone committed the act, you will see a bunch of lawyers scrambling to see if there is some technicality, error in paperwork, or manner with which to discard evidence, not in a quest for the truth, but in the name of winning.

First I feel bad for you, you most certainly must feel taken advantage of, and I have been in similar positions.

And yes, it's much like ciminals of any sort, be it robbery, DUI, Child Molestations, Spouse Abuse, how often do you read stories about they are out of prison/jail less than weeks or months and commit a very similar crime. I know this is a much deeper subject for a different thread. But still very disturbing when it hits close to home.

I appreciate your kind words, I do feel quite taken advantage of. Just a weird place to be in!

Can you get me her contact info? I know of some competitors who are hiring in their acct depts

LOL! Now that is truly funny!!! They may have to wait a few years until she checks out of her extended stay facility she's going to be heading to!

Aint that the truth. I said the exact same thing yesterday. Hang in there buddy.

I'm good. Just stupid traffic and idiot drivers. 21 mile commute shouldn't take 1hr & 15 to complete.

Which parts of the Constitution are people getting ready to tear up? I don't think you have seen anything other than lighthearted suggestions that there be no trial. But at the same time, there is a difference between the Constitution and our current justice system, which is regularly abused with the sole intent of dragging out an execution.

You can argue against the death penalty, though I am not sure there is a compelling Constitutional prohibition of it.

I guess my summary is that you assert that it is more expensive to execute someone than it is to keep someone in prison for life. That's not because the death penalty is expensive to apply. It's because of the justice system is cumbersome. I will concede that I never want to see an innocent person executed for something they didn't do, and am willing to see the system take every means to make sure that doesn't happen. However, in cases where there is no doubt that someone committed the act, you will see a bunch of lawyers scrambling to see if there is some technicality, error in paperwork, or manner with which to discard evidence, not in a quest for the truth, but in the name of winning.

I agree with you, exactly how would it violate the constitution to not take 20 years to execute someone?

To answer your first question, the 5th, 8th and 14th Amendments. Those would be the ones ignored by treating this animal the way people have suggested.

That's what separates this Country from places like China, Russia, North Korea.

It's not a perfect system, but our Constitution is the system that free societies strive for. You can't ignore or skirt the Constitution, though, even for those that are obviously guilty. They are entitled to the same protections as well before they meet their judgment.

To answer your first question, the 5th, 8th and 14th Amendments. Those would be the ones ignored by treating this animal the way people have suggested.

That's what separates this Country from places like China, Russia, North Korea.

It's not a perfect system, but our Constitution is the system that free societies strive for. You can't ignore or skirt the Constitution, though, even for those that are obviously guilty. They are entitled to the same protections as well before they meet their judgment.

To be clear, I am not, and I am pretty sure nobody else is, advocating for there to be no trial, or for there to be some kangaroo court ruled by some Communist General who has a swordsman waiting out back. My point is that if it is more expensive for the death penalty, those expenses are more associated with lawyers gaming the system than with the death penalty in and of itself being particularly cumbersome. 20 years worth of appeals is ridiculous. Inmates waiting on death row for an average of 15+ years is ridiculous. This is especially true when appeals are based on technicalities and not matters of fact, which the bulk of them are.

If this guy confesses tomorrow, and they have video of the crime and 20 witnesses, and he is sentenced to death, someone will probably force him through a cumbersome appeals process anyway.

Sorry to gum up this thread.

The entitled attitude if some people seriously pisses me off. I am so angry right now i am physically sick to my stomach.

The entitled attitude if some people seriously pisses me off. I am so angry right now i am physically sick to my stomach.

Brother, you are too nice a guy to let that stuff take you down.

There are a couple things I hate more than someone who feels entitled, but it definitely ranks in my top three or four.

Trade shows are a ripoff. I am in charge of our booth for a show in Anaheim in a few weeks, and the charges are ridiculous. We do them a few times a year, and I always get mad looking at the costs, and I should be used to this stuff. This is all after we paid over $5k to have a booth there: $218.00 to per stool to RENT stools for 3 days plus a $75 setup fee. $286.97 to rent a 10'x10' piece of carpet for our booth. $202 for electricity in our booth for 3 days. $39.34 to rent a trash can. $425 to rent the little badge scanner for leads.

I'm with you Erky. I'll go to trade shows but only as an attendee, I won't exhibit anymore. It's never worth the cost. Before the dotcom bubble burst, I used to have to go to a lot as an exhibitor. The costs are just ridiculous. Almost never worth it, between that and the bunk leads.

I'm with you Erky. I'll go to trade shows but only as an attendee, I won't exhibit anymore. It's never worth the cost. Before the dotcom bubble burst, I used to have to go to a lot as an exhibitor. The costs are just ridiculous. Almost never worth it, between that and the bunk leads.

It's not entirely up to me, but I think we would be better off going as attendees. We can still make connections, meet with our vendors and partners, etc.

First vacation we're taking as a family in quite a while. Nothing fancy, but a nice week on the jersey shore leaving tomorrow....ofcourse after an extremely hot and dry summer, this is the week the high is going be 73, and chances of rain every day. I know there are bigger problems in the world....but damn, figures.

Hate to hear that man. I'm here if you need a venting outlet!

It's not entirely up to me, but I think we would be better off going as attendees. We can still make connections, meet with our vendors and partners, etc.
I took that approach when I was in sales in the hotel industry. Yes we had a booth some years, but some years as just an attendee I made many contacts at the dinners and activities and in the lobby as I did on the trade show floor.

Definitely not as many as exhibiting, but probably the percentage of good leads versus the ones that just wanted something free was a lot higher :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back