The Official Tiger Woods Thread

JB/Trout - not knowing enough about rules for the tournaments, what is the PGA stance on each tournament they are a part of? meaning do they require x% of the top 50 players to attend? My only reference is the SHO here in town and every year it seems like their field is in limbo up to the Monday before the tournament. I know some of that is because the previous weeks tournament will round out the entries, but the top 50 are automatically in each and every tournament right?

It frustrates me that he won't play in the Tournament of champions, he's a multi tournament winner last year and more than earned his spot. I can't figure out if his schedule is too full or he is just not interested in these kinds of events. I'm itching to see him play.

Why play more than the minimum number of events if you don't have to. Tiger has been successful playing the tournaments he likes over the past 15+ years. Why change?

According to the article below the ToC has more problems than Tiger. Only 2 of the top 10 players are there.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...the-pga-tours-hyundai-tournament-of-champions

I have no idea Mike, I'm hoping JB or someone will chime in with the answer, I'd like to know myself. Good question.

Limited schedules by players is no longer just a Tiger issue. Adam Scott and Stricker last year and they'll both be doing the same again this year. Phil has said he will also be playing less this year.

Don't think the Tour can afford to wait for 12 years till Tiger turns 50 to address this. Something will need to be done before then.

This is causing me to rethink my stance on appearance fees, why work for a million when you can get a guaranteed 3 mil for showing up, that's pretty sad.

It's the argument many have made in the past about making sure guys play more courses rather than "cherry pick".

That rule will absolutely happen on the PGA Tour, but not while Tiger is still playing.

Weren't they throwing around the play every course over 4-5yrs idea a couple years ago? I liked that thought

JB/Trout - not knowing enough about rules for the tournaments, what is the PGA stance on each tournament they are a part of? meaning do they require x% of the top 50 players to attend? My only reference is the SHO here in town and every year it seems like their field is in limbo up to the Monday before the tournament. I know some of that is because the previous weeks tournament will round out the entries, but the top 50 are automatically in each and every tournament right?

The PGA could implement a rule that says that players have to play in a certain event every 3 or 5 years to keep their card. A downside of this would be that if you force the top 50 players to play in more events then it would limit the opportunities for fringe players to get in events.

I also think we look at Tiger & say "why doesn't he play more events?". If you look back at history, after 1969 Jack Nicklaus never played in more than 19 events (& only did that in 1970 & 1972). An example is in 1975 there were 42 official PGA tour event. Jack only played in 15 events....won 4 times with a major. Did people use to ask Jack why he didn't play in more events?

Maybe Tiger just copied Jack's schedule style.....it worked for Jack & it has worked for Tiger.

So the limited schedule by star players is not a new problem....been going on forever.

I understand the older guys limiting schedules for health reasons or something like that, but agree with the appearance fees being bigger than the 1st prize purses it's a no brainer.

For me it's wanting to see the best tee it up each week regardless of venue & test their skills. I started watching golf on tv in the mid/late 80's & can remember all the big names for the most part being a part of each tournament that was on (probably because the $$ wasn't what it is now so they had to play to get paid).....anyways I am a big Tiger fan, but agree the cherry picking is hurting viewership & in a weird way robbing us of watching a great player tee it up more often.

This has been going on forever and will continue unless the Tour wants to risk upsetting its players. Cherry picking and approaching the season with a plan based around the Majors did wonders for Adam Scott and for Stricker last year.

Maybe they could link 2 events together? Like, if you want to play in the Memorial you have to play the Canadian Open and if you want to play the Palmer Invitational you have to play the Reno-Tahoe.
Haha, that will never happen but a Canadian can dream.

Pga tour pros are independent contractors. It is what it is. I don't mind the system as it stands now.

TW commits to the Farmers Insurance Open at Torrey Pines which is on January 23-26. AKA, the real start of the PGA Tour season since TW will be there. :smile:

It frustrates me that he won't play in the Tournament of champions, he's a multi tournament winner last year and more than earned his spot. I can't figure out if his schedule is too full or he is just not interested in these kinds of events. I'm itching to see him play.

He gave us some epic battles over the years at this event. He plays into December, when can he get a break? He's had this same schedule for years.

He gave us some epic battles over the years at this event. He plays into December, when can he get a break? He's had this same schedule for years.

Yeah right, like he doesn't get enough breaks through out the year.

I don't think overseas "appearance Fees" help, playing in those tourneys with "guaranteed" dollars hurt the PGA tour, as well as take a toll on the players the travel getting adjusted coming back getting readjusted all takes time away from PGA events

Yeah right, like he doesn't get enough breaks through out the year.

22 Tournaments last year. Include travel time and appearances for charities and other non-golf events. Doesn't leave a lot of time IMO.

And this just now on Adam Scott's schedule:

@KellyTilghmanGC: Adam Scott's manager tells me after Sony Scott won't play next until The @TheHondaClassic in March. Then Doral, possibly Bay Hill, Masters

This is no longer a Tiger only issue.

I totally agree Barry but for people to say that Tiger is a grinder lol is quite a stretch.

And this just now on Adam Scott's schedule:

@KellyTilghmanGC: Adam Scott's manager tells me after Sony Scott won't play next until The @TheHondaClassic in March. Then Doral, possibly Bay Hill, Masters

This is no longer a Tiger only issue.

Im not sure anybody has said it was a Tiger only issue. I think when you are #1 in the world and the biggest name and have been the biggest offender over the last decade of this, it tends to come up more than the rest.

I totally agree Barry but for people to say that Tiger is a grinder lol is quite a stretch.

I may be missing a post, but where did anyone here say that?

I find it strange that as a BIG Tiger fan it seems like you can't critique him wether you're a fan or not. I love the guy but I think he's going in the wrong direction, both swing wise and PR wise. The last thing he needs to do is rest.

I may be missing a post, but where did anyone here say that?

Asking where he is going to rest is insinuating he's a grinder to me, maybe I misread it though.

Asking where he is going to rest is insinuating he's a grinder to me, maybe I misread it though.

That's fine. Guess we both just read into it differently.

I'm not sure if that was directed at my post or not, but I was not defending Tiger, to each opinion their own. I was wondering where anyone said that he is a grinder?

Oh no man, it was just a blanket statement. It seems like he is one of the most passionate topics on the forum, he has a huge fanbase and many are really diehards. not slamming anyone in particular, just expressing my opinion on the subject. I believe he's the greatest player ever and I don't think he's done yet, but as a fan I'm finding harder and harder to root for him lattely.

Oh no man, it was just a blanket statement. It seems like he is one of the most passionate topics on the forum, he has a huge fanbase and many are really diehards. not slamming anyone in particular, just expressing my opinion on the subject. I believe he's the greatest player ever and I don't think he's done yet, but as a fan I'm finding harder and harder to root for him lattely.

No problem man. I read too much into that one. Deleted that post.

Back