The Official Tiger Woods Thread

Tiger needs to put an Al Davis on 'em ("just win baby") and that will shut most of the media up. Let's remember that the majority of the questions that continue to be dragged through the gutter on this scandal, are coming from the UK media. As we know, they THRIVE on controversy and sensationalized reporting. Don't get me wrong, I know what he did was despicable, but as a Christian, I know my place in this matter. "judge not, least ye' be judged". He has, and will be, taken to task over this, so move on, be a golf fan and not a social and moral judge. Look, Tiger Woods is a golfer, certainly in the top 2 or 3 of all time, and I can appreciate him for that. Is he or better yet should he be a role model? No, except to his children, no. I have been on the wrong side of a spouse having an affair, so I do not feel sorry for the man. However, objectively, I think he is sincere in trying to face what he has done, and to make amends. I say move on, play more golf, hit more fairways and greens, and remember what a gift it is to be able to play this game we all love so passionately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I have it right the rational from the golf media for continuing to give this story coverage is “the degree to which all of this personal stuff has an impact on Tiger’s game. To be honest, I do think that argument is starting to get old. In the first place, can we really say he is playing that badly considering some of the other things going on with him that have nothing to do with his personal life:
• Changed coaches
• Changed swing
• Had operation

If I have it right the rational from the golf media for continuing to give this story coverage is “the degree to which all of this personal stuff has an impact on Tiger’s game. To be honest, I do think that argument is starting to get old. In the first place, can we really say he is playing that badly considering some of the other things going on with him that have nothing to do with his personal life:
• Changed coaches
• Changed swing
• Had operation

Let's see how his season went post-surgery. This is straight from Eldrick's website:

AGE 33 (2009)
Won Arnold Palmer Invitational
• Win at Arnold Palmer was his sixth victory in the event.
• At AP, rallied from five shots back the final day to tie his best PGA Tour comeback mark (2000 AT&T Pebble Beach)
• Sank winning birdie on the final hole for the second consecutive year at Bay Hill, the third time overall
• Returned to the winner's circle after 286 days
Was 10-under-par after 70 holes at the Masters before finishing T6
Won Memorial Tournament
• Win at the Memorial Tournament was his fourth victory in the event
• At Memorial, rallied from four shots back the final day. Final round included birdies on the last two holes for a one-stroke victory
• Was 14 of 14 in fairways hit Sunday at Memorial and 49 of 56 during the week, equaling the best mark of his professional career (1998 Masters)
Won AT&T National
• Win at the AT&T National marks the 25th different official PGA Tour event he has won
• Became just the second player to win an official PGA Tour event as host. Jack Nicklaus won the Memorial Tournament as host in 1977 and '84.
• Victory was his 90th professional career win
Won Buick Open
• Captured the event for the third time (2002, '06, '09), joining Vijay Singh as the only three-time winners of the tournament
• Started the second round at No. 10 and went birdie-birdie-eagle-birdie-birdie for 6-under after five holes (Nos. 10-14), his best opening five-hole stretch
• Had his largest opening-round comeback on the leaderboard after starting tied for 95th, 1-under 71
• Has now won four or more tournaments in 11 of 14 seasons on tour
Won WGC-Bridgestone Invitational
• 70th victory on the PGA Tour
• Captured the event for the seventh time and became the first PGA Tour player to win a tournament seven times on the same golf course (Firestone Country Club's South Course)
• Fourth consecutive win at Bridgestone Invitational (2005-'07, '09; missed 2008 due to knee surgery)
• Was his 160th top-10 finish on the PGA Tour
• 27th top-10 finish in 30 GC events
Won the Notah Begay III Foundation Challenge (nine of 18 skins and $230,000)
Won BMW Championship
• 71st victory on the PGA Tour
• Fifth tournament he has won at least five times
• Tenth time he has won a PGA Tour event by eight or more strokes
• Has won six or more tournaments in six seasons on tour
Posted a Cog Hill Golf & Country Club record 9-under 62 in the third round, one stroke shy of his best 18-hole score on tour, en route to victory
• Tied Walter Hagen with a tournament-record five wins at the event (1997, '99, 2003, '07, '09)
Won the FedExCup, a season-long points competition on the PGA Tour (clinched title with a second-place finish at THE TOUR Championship)
• Member of the victorious U.S. Presidents Cup team. Clinched the American victory with a 6 and 5 win over Y.E. Yang. First time in either The Presidents Cup or Ryder Cup that Woods earned the decisive point.
Woods went 5-0 for the week, joining Mark O'Meara and Shigeki Maruyama as the only players to win all five matches in The Presidents Cup. Woods' 18 victories are the most by any player in the event. Joined Steve Stricker to become the first partnership in the tournament to win all four of their matches
Lowest adjusted scoring average (68.05) for Byron Nelson Award (PGA Tour) and Vardon Trophy (PGA of America)
Leading money winner on PGA Tour (Arnold Palmer Award) with $10,508,163
Won the JBWere Masters at Kingston Heath Golf Club in Melbourne, Australia, for his first victory in that country
• Was inducted into the Stanford Athletics Hall of Fame and served as honorary captain at the Big Game against California
• Selected AP Athlete of the Decade. Woods received 56 of 142 votes cast by AP editors throughout the country
Player of the Year as selected by PGA Tour (Jack Nicklaus Award), PGA of America and Golf Writers Association of America for the 10th time
• Announced on Dec. 11 that he would take an indefinite break from professional golf to deal with personal matters

Yeah, the operation had an adverse effect on his 2009 season. Swing changes and coaching changes are all part of the game. And Haney just left recently.

"I rest my case, your honor" lol

great post Smalls....

Let's see how his season went post-surgery. This is straight from Eldrick's website:

AGE 33 (2009)
Won Arnold Palmer Invitational
• Win at Arnold Palmer was his sixth victory in the event.
• At AP, rallied from five shots back the final day to tie his best PGA Tour comeback mark (2000 AT&T Pebble Beach)
• Sank winning birdie on the final hole for the second consecutive year at Bay Hill, the third time overall
• Returned to the winner's circle after 286 days
Was 10-under-par after 70 holes at the Masters before finishing T6
Won Memorial Tournament
• Win at the Memorial Tournament was his fourth victory in the event
• At Memorial, rallied from four shots back the final day. Final round included birdies on the last two holes for a one-stroke victory
• Was 14 of 14 in fairways hit Sunday at Memorial and 49 of 56 during the week, equaling the best mark of his professional career (1998 Masters)
Won AT&T National
• Win at the AT&T National marks the 25th different official PGA Tour event he has won
• Became just the second player to win an official PGA Tour event as host. Jack Nicklaus won the Memorial Tournament as host in 1977 and '84.
• Victory was his 90th professional career win
Won Buick Open
• Captured the event for the third time (2002, '06, '09), joining Vijay Singh as the only three-time winners of the tournament
• Started the second round at No. 10 and went birdie-birdie-eagle-birdie-birdie for 6-under after five holes (Nos. 10-14), his best opening five-hole stretch
• Had his largest opening-round comeback on the leaderboard after starting tied for 95th, 1-under 71
• Has now won four or more tournaments in 11 of 14 seasons on tour
Won WGC-Bridgestone Invitational
• 70th victory on the PGA Tour
• Captured the event for the seventh time and became the first PGA Tour player to win a tournament seven times on the same golf course (Firestone Country Club's South Course)
• Fourth consecutive win at Bridgestone Invitational (2005-'07, '09; missed 2008 due to knee surgery)
• Was his 160th top-10 finish on the PGA Tour
• 27th top-10 finish in 30 GC events
Won the Notah Begay III Foundation Challenge (nine of 18 skins and $230,000)
Won BMW Championship
• 71st victory on the PGA Tour
• Fifth tournament he has won at least five times
• Tenth time he has won a PGA Tour event by eight or more strokes
• Has won six or more tournaments in six seasons on tour
Posted a Cog Hill Golf & Country Club record 9-under 62 in the third round, one stroke shy of his best 18-hole score on tour, en route to victory
• Tied Walter Hagen with a tournament-record five wins at the event (1997, '99, 2003, '07, '09)
Won the FedExCup, a season-long points competition on the PGA Tour (clinched title with a second-place finish at THE TOUR Championship)
• Member of the victorious U.S. Presidents Cup team. Clinched the American victory with a 6 and 5 win over Y.E. Yang. First time in either The Presidents Cup or Ryder Cup that Woods earned the decisive point.
Woods went 5-0 for the week, joining Mark O'Meara and Shigeki Maruyama as the only players to win all five matches in The Presidents Cup. Woods' 18 victories are the most by any player in the event. Joined Steve Stricker to become the first partnership in the tournament to win all four of their matches
Lowest adjusted scoring average (68.05) for Byron Nelson Award (PGA Tour) and Vardon Trophy (PGA of America)
Leading money winner on PGA Tour (Arnold Palmer Award) with $10,508,163
Won the JBWere Masters at Kingston Heath Golf Club in Melbourne, Australia, for his first victory in that country
• Was inducted into the Stanford Athletics Hall of Fame and served as honorary captain at the Big Game against California
• Selected AP Athlete of the Decade. Woods received 56 of 142 votes cast by AP editors throughout the country
Player of the Year as selected by PGA Tour (Jack Nicklaus Award), PGA of America and Golf Writers Association of America for the 10th time
• Announced on Dec. 11 that he would take an indefinite break from professional golf to deal with personal matters

Yeah, the operation had an adverse effect on his 2009 season. Swing changes and coaching changes are all part of the game. And Haney just left recently.

I agree it's getting old, but when he was asked "was it worth it" (the affairs), why not answer it appropriately. Just say "of course not, I was a complete idiot" and the press will be MUCH more likely to move on. For such a hugely public figure, he has NO idea how to handle the press.

As it is with many great athletes, Tiger is a proud man. Regardless of how foolish and idiotic this whole thing has been, it is likely difficult for him to stand there and say “I was an idiot” over and over again. However I actually think that has less to do with his frustration at these questions than the fact that there is likely little foundation for these questions in the first place. Continually being forced to draw some correlation between coming over the top and slicing a ball and his family situation is nonsense and asking him “was it worth it” is a question that is being asked within the context of his golf game and other aspects of his professional golf career.

If he comes over the top and slices the ball he wants to go out to the range, find the problem and fix it. An act of contrition is not going to cure some structural problem with his golf swing. So while I know what the press wants and why the press wants it, I just don’t think they are going to get anywhere. For his part I do think he should recognize that the media is not going to stop scratching at this issue. He may be better served by coming out and telling the media that he is simply not going to answer questions about his family situation during media sessions attached to golf events. If he does come out and makes a general statement about how he is going to respond to questions along those lines nobody is going to be surprised when he simply says “next question please”. In fact, he has already laid the groundwork for taking such a position.

I for one would be totally shocked if he was out there in the middle of his rounds thinking about his family situation while he was trying to play competitive, tournament level golf. That just does not make any sense and is in part why I think the media is just barking up the wrong tree continually asking him to link a bad shot or a bad hole or a bad round with his family situation. I actually think media guys are smart enough to know that and what they really are hoping is that they pick at Tiger enough to make him really lose it and either blow his top or break down and reveal something that makes for great theater. The equivalent of grocery checkout line journalism.

you hit the nail on the head

As it is with many great athletes, Tiger is a proud man. Regardless of how foolish and idiotic this whole thing has been, it is likely difficult for him to stand there and say “I was an idiot” over and over again. However I actually think that has less to do with his frustration at these questions than the fact that there is likely little foundation for these questions in the first place. Continually being forced to draw some correlation between coming over the top and slicing a ball and his family situation is nonsense and asking him “was it worth it” is a question that is being asked within the context of his golf game and other aspects of his professional golf career.

If he comes over the top and slices the ball he wants to go out to the range, find the problem and fix it. An act of contrition is not going to cure some structural problem with his golf swing. So while I know what the press wants and why the press wants it, I just don’t think they are going to get anywhere. For his part I do think he should recognize that the media is not going to stop scratching at this issue. He may be better served by coming out and telling the media that he is simply not going to answer questions about his family situation during media sessions attached to golf events. If he does come out and makes a general statement about how he is going to respond to questions along those lines nobody is going to be surprised when he simply says “next question please”. In fact, he has already laid the groundwork for taking such a position.

I for one would be totally shocked if he was out there in the middle of his rounds thinking about his family situation while he was trying to play competitive, tournament level golf. That just does not make any sense and is in part why I think the media is just barking up the wrong tree continually asking him to link a bad shot or a bad hole or a bad round with his family situation. I actually think media guys are smart enough to know that and what they really are hoping is that they pick at Tiger enough to make him really lose it and either blow his top or break down and reveal something that makes for great theater. The equivalent of grocery checkout line journalism.

Don't know if anyone is watching the British Open broadcast, but Tiger is swearing like a sailor. His latest was:

Ohhhhhhhhhh ... f--king wind !!!

So much for his new persona ...

Don't know if anyone is watching the British Open broadcast, but Tiger is swearing like a sailor. His latest was:

Ohhhhhhhhhh ... f--king wind !!!

So much for his new persona ...

I don't think he every stopped swearing, and if Tiger's being Tiger...!!! JK!

The cursing doesn't actually bother me that much. If that's Tiger being Tiger, I'm ok with that. The things that bother me are:

1. Don't say you're going to change, have that last one tournament, and then regress to your old ways

2. Why don't the networks turn off the mic? No one wants their kid to hear him dropping F-Bombs.

Swearings not the end of the world. If you dont like it, dont mic him. He still brings the ratings whether he swears or not, so as much as it is tigers fault, hes being himself. The network should receive some blame for mic-ing him all of the time, allowing it to be heard.

Swearings not the end of the world. If you dont like it, dont mic him. He still brings the ratings whether he swears or not, so as much as it is tigers fault, hes being himself. The network should receive some blame for mic-ing him all of the time, allowing it to be heard.

I didn't know we had a choice to mic him or not!

The networks are not the one that told him to change. He told the world that and has continued to. Remember his world apology. He found his religion, he wanted to prove he could be a role model again, and win back his fans.

The fans that are diehards never left, so they are still there. The fans that moved on, wont come back if they do at all, until he has an ounce of truth behind his words.

The networks are not the one that told him to change. He told the world that and has continued to. Remember his world apology. He found his religion, he wanted to prove he could be a role model again, and win back his fans.

The fans that are diehards never left, so they are still there. The fans that moved on, wont come back if they do at all, until he has an ounce of truth behind his words.

QFT!

Tiger is known for his mental tenacity and that should be true in all of his pursuits.

True True. The more I see of the guy the more clear it is to me, he came back too soon.
QFT!

Tiger is known for his mental tenacity and that should be true in all of his pursuits.

until he has an ounce of truth behind his words.

I believe he has more than an ounce of truth behind his words. He definitely interacts with the fans more, spends way more time signing autographs too. I know that the networks werent the ones to tell him to change, but the people dictate the networks to some degree, and they still feel the need to mic him.

I believe he has more than an ounce of truth behind his words. He definitely interacts with the fans more, spends way more time signing autographs too. I know that the networks weren't the ones to tell him to change, but the people dictate the networks to some degree, and they still feel the need to mic him.

I agree and I also think that that has a lot to do with his current slump. I think that trying to be the "warmer gentler" Tiger has its own learning curve for him in the sense that he's had to find out just how much he can change as well as how much people actually want him to change. I think there's also a fair amount of humility involved and he has probably had to get his head wrapped around that too.

For what it's worth, I like what I'm seeing in him these days. He seems to be making a genuine effort to be more accessible as well as a bit less reactionary on the course. He still curses himself out albeit mostly under his breath, but to those who read lips, he's still as colorful as ever, just not as loudly as he used to be.

Change takes time.

-JP

I believe he has more than an ounce of truth behind his words. He definitely interacts with the fans more, spends way more time signing autographs too. I know that the networks werent the ones to tell him to change, but the people dictate the networks to some degree, and they still feel the need to mic him.

Really? Is that the case (there are quite a few reporting otherwise about his accessibility)?
So far since his comeback he was to try and stop cursing and throwing and slamming clubs. Nope, keeps doing both. In fact quite a bit today. people will say "Its a work in progress and it takes time". BULL! Everybody else does it just fine!
I dont have a care, but as I said before, the big fans, like you, have not left and will be fans no matter what. Thats cool, root for who you want. But the people that feel let down and lied to, have moved on and will not be coming back until his actions back up his words for once.

The diehards will always be diehards and will continue to say "they just love to see great golf".

Last edited:
I want to add something. This is NOT something the people asked for. This is something HE HIMSELF said he wanted to change. Remember after he got caught living a lie. He went on national TV and said I am changing. I found my religion. I want to be a better person and that part of it contains my work (which is the golf course). He has since said it repeatedly in almost every press conference since that time.

It sounds to me and to many others that have moved on, like every other athlete speech after they get caught living a lie!

How sad. Not that she really had any other choice, but I feel for those kids.

All things considered, this got wrapped up in a hurry. I'm thinking a 9 figure check was stroked with a NDA the size of the Library of Congress attached to it that applies to Elin, her family, friends, and her pets.

Yeah me too. Going to be especially hard one them with the media coverage. Can't imagine the talk about why when they get older will go well either.
How sad. Not that she really had any other choice, but I feel for those kids.

I feel for the kids i know that they are probably too young to know whats going on but how horrible will this affect the rest of their lives?

Back