The One Length Challenge : My Journey

I'm so jelly of your opportunity to try these. Looking forward to hearing from you and your observations.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Definitely following this one. :cool:?

@time4tim is this the one length challenge version 2 or 3? I know you've had atleast one other OL set. It'll be interesting to see the results this time around and if the improvements Cobra has made is enough to keep you playing one length irons. Good luck, sir! (y)

Also, I think an Oak Quarry round needs to happen soon. :D

Last edited:
I'm looking forward to your reviews! I'd love to try a single-length iron set because the concept is very appealing - can't wait to see how they work for you.

Thread. Watched. Let the science begin

UPDATE 11/22/2019

Got in my first round today with the OL irons. Played my home course here in the central valley of California. It can be hot as heck in the Summer here, but the nice thing is I can play year round. The course is a inland English links style that has very wide/firm fairways and huge greens. As long as you can keep the ball in the fairway here, you have a chance to play decent. Today I played from the blue tees which measures out to 6500 yards.

HOLE 1) is a 533 yard par 5. I went driver, 3 wood and had about a 57 yard pitch to the green. So no OL irons were needed.

Hole 2) is a 417 yard par 4, that is the #1 handicap hole on the course. Went driver off the tee and had about 174 left with the flag location in the worst possible spot on the green, deep and right. Meaning if I was going to go flag hunting, I had to carry a large bunker. Pulled the 6 iron. Here was going to be the first swing of the day...struck it better than I thought I would, but it hit the very top of the bunker and dropped back in. The trajectory was a little lower than usual. I am just not used to using this heavy of a shaft (KBS Tour 120 S) anymore. The Elevates in my Apex 19's are just under 100 grams I believe and it's been about 8 months since I have been using them. I kind of figured this could be an issue for me at least for a while. The flight was dead straight, just a little too low. The 6 iron head is a little bulkier and some of the cavity was exposed from address, however this didn't faze me at the least. I was concerned with it when the clubs arrived, but didn't pay much attention to hit while playing.

Hole 3) is a 123 yard par 3. Pulled PW, and knocked it about 20 feet short. Again, very straight and unlike the strike with the 6 iron on the previous hole, this one was perfectly fine. Had no issues playing the pitching wedge at 7 iron length. Felt pretty normal, didn't try to over think it any.

Hole 4) is a short, 271 yard par 4. No OL irons used on this hole.

Hole 5) is a 491 yard par 5. Went 3 wood, hybrid, to about 105 yards left. This would be my gap wedge distance. Pulled the OL GW and I have to admit, this one felt really weird. Having a GW at this length is just...different. Basically looked just like the PW, but in my head I knew it was a GW. Didn't dwell on it much and just put a swing on it. As soon as I hit it I knew it would be short and it was by about 10 yards. The swing felt a little awkward, pretty much like one when you don't trust yourself and that's exactly what happened. Hit the green for a GIR, but it left me quite a ways from the hole.

Hole 6) 415 yard par 4. Went driver and then had about 130 yards to front pin location. Pulled the PW, and while it may have been a little further than i would normally try a PW (typically about 120-125 is my max) I figured, what the heck. Should have had a caddie with me to pull clubs for me as I was about 5 yards short of the green and about 20 yards short of the pin. The swing felt half way decent, but the result wasn't the best. Again, the flight was good height and straight. Just short. I am blaming it on my crappy swing.

Hole 7) 190 yard par 3, playing closer to 200. No OL used here.

Hole 8) 400 yard par 4. Went driver and had 150 left to a very deep blue flag. I pulled 8 iron. I really liked the feel of the 8. I guess because its so close to a 7 iron length. The ball was slightly below my feet next to the edge of a fairway bunker. This one I really hit high, straight and really short. Again, a GIR, but about 20 yards short.

Hole 9) 397 yard par 4. Went driver and had 137 left. This was an in between distance for me. Usually a 9 iron, but I felt I would try the 8 again. This time, struck the ball better. Had great trajectory but again just a little short. About 5 yards. However, another GIR.

So after nine holes I kind of had a pattern. I hit some nice straight shots that were a little shorter than what I was used to. That being said. I had more GIR's than I have typically had over the last couple of months. Hmmmm???

Hole 10) 353 yard par 4. Hit driver off the tee and left myself with 100 yards. Good old GW time. Again, the extra length on it just feels strange. I hit it about 95 yards, again short, but on the green. GW has always been a nemesis for me as I have never had one that I liked. I am beginning to feel the same way with this one.

Hole 11) 500 yard par 5. No OL used on this hole.

Hole 12) 400 yard par 4. Went Driver that I pulled, and only went about 230 yards. Had about 178 yards to the pin and decided to try the 6 iron one more time. This time I put a better swing on it and it had nice height. I pushed it just a touch, and put it just off the green, pin high. I didn't mind the push. Wasn't expecting it, but the results were really good. Best swing of the day so far.

Hole 13) 166 yard par 3. Was playing closer to 155. Took out the 7 iron and slightly pulled it over the left side of the green. Had another GIR and the 165 yards this hole normally plays with a middle flag. That was the purest hit I had hit yet. Really happy with this result!

Hole 14) 370 yard par 4. Flag was way back on this one, so it was playing closer to 385-390. Hit a big push driver that put me into some brush on the right side. Had to take an unplayable and drop. I had about 155 left and went with 8 iron. I had to be careful with this shot as I still had to hit the ball under some branches. Again, the 8 iron really sets up well and I hit a pretty amazing shot from where I was at to the front part of the green. Sure I would have like a little distance, but I don't think I could have walked the ball down and sat it on the green any better than the result of the swing that I took. Diggin' the 8 iron.

Hole 15) 550 yard par 5. Went driver, hybrid to 104 yards out. Here we go with Mr. Unreliable GW. Another GIR, but short of the target. this time about 5 yards short. It would be nice to fly one past the flag for once. Good height once again and pretty straight, but SHORT.

Hole 16) 110 yard par 3. No OL used as it was playing up to about 90 yards.

Hole 17) 325 yard par 4. Again no OL used as its a driver and SW hole.

Hole 18) 427 yard par 4. Went driver and had 139 left. Decided to try the 9 iron for the first time. This one I pulled a touch and hit pretty high. Again came up short of the flag, but another GIR. I can't be upset with another GIR can I?

So after one round what do I think? They are definitely playable. The only club length that continually threw me off was the GW. All the other clubs felt pretty natural to me. The one negative I would have is that I tend to be "that" guy. The one who likes forged heads more that cast. I prefer the less clicky sound and buttery feel. These do lack a bit in the feel department so far. Also I think the shafts aren't the best suited for me, but again this is just my first round with them. I do love the idea of one same swing with all these clubs. I do feel like its something I could benefit from if I can just be patient enough with the process.

Lucky for me, I still have a few rounds left before I have to make my decision. The home course is having a tourney tomorrow. The annual Turkey Shoot. Guess who signed up to play in the 4 person shamble... yeah me! Guess who was the dumba** who decided to start experimenting with new irons one day before the tourney...me! So I will go into this playing the One Lengths. Figure its time to go big or go home. No interest in switching back to variable lengths for the tourney, then switch back to OL afterwards. My teammates may end up hating me after this, but who knows...maybe it will go great. I'm such an optimist! I have always been a glass half full guy.

P.S. Those that know me, will tell you I am full of crap and a liar. I am actually a glass half empty guy and very much a pessimist. I can hope to change can't I ?

So it seems like maybe a little more consistency, and just needing to adjust for club distances a bit? How much do you think the heavier shafts contribute to the shortness?

So it seems like maybe a little more consistency, and just needing to adjust for club distances a bit? How much do you think the heavier shafts contribute to the shortness?

I am thinking the weight of the shafts are causing the majority of the issues. I used to use primarily S300 shafts and didn't really know any different about varying weights in shafts. Even when I got the Apex's with the Elevates, it took me some time to get used to the lighter weight in the shafts. Didn't think it would bother me any to go back up in weight, however I was wrong.

The weight change could be the largest difference. Gut feeling says with a few range sessions and 4 more rounds they will click.

and to blow your mind further, any idea why you sometimes here “forged face” on a driver or other club? Because it can be harder and more durable. Don’t let the type of manufacturing dictate something for you ?

If course there is always Forged TEC that just came out from Cobra of you decide to stick with it. Great set

Sounds like an ok “getting to know you” round with the new sticks Tim. Great job writing it up, I’m looking forward to reading more about the experiment.

Wow that was a great read.

Definitely think a few range sessions will help sort out the distance/feel issue. It seems like you are not having any issues with left to right dispersion just distance which is really cool.

Also are they all tour 120S, the stock set had different shafts for the wedges, short irons (kbs tour 90), and long irons (kbs tour 80)

Good write-up! I’m pondering a switch to OL myself, so I am curious to see how you adjust to the new set.

Thanks for the thorough and informative writeup regarding your initial round with your OL irons. I’ll be interested to follow along and see if you how the distance issues you found either resolve or not. Good luck with the process.

I'm sure it somewhat hinders the benefits (and or dynamics) of the OL concept, but when I was still using the OL set wedges, I had to choke down on them slightly, as it felt so strange having a GW that was that long.

Good luck with your challenge.

As a player of OL irons myself, I think you will notice good things once you get use to setting the ball in the same spot and swing as a seven iron.

Great review! I’m even more interested in trying the new Speedzone OL now. I can’t wait to hear how you settle in after some range time and a few more rounds. Not looking good @golfunfiltered unless you’ve been practicing with hybrid irons:LOL:

Great OP and initial round write-ups. As you mentioned, I got a sense early in your round that everything with the OL irons was coming up shorter than you expected them to go. With my pea brain reasoning, I would think that the short irons would go a bit longer than expected due to the increased length and the longer irons a little shorter than expected due to the shorter than normal shafts.

Will be fun to follow the rest of your journey.

Great review @time4tim! That was a lot of GIR for your first try with them. I can’t wait to see how the next 4 rounds go.

nice write ups.
I always understood the concept on one length. As long as they could straighten out the launch window characteristics and gaps for each the clubs I thought it be a good concept.
But the one thing I feel with myself and also many other inconsistent swinging amateur's is regardless the same length or not we still vary our swing too much anyway.
I mean so many us for example can struggle with a driver from one tee to the next or even at the range just hitting several out of a bay yet the shaft length never changed. Same with any iron. We can use a 9 iron for example or a 6 iron a number of times in the same round yet with varying results. So you used your 9 iron perhaps 5 times last round and had 2 good shots and 2 poorer ones and one real bad. Yet that 9 iron was the same length for all 5 shots, was it not? We can stand at the range and hit any iron we choose. Say perhaps an 8iron and while we hit the 8 perhaps 15 balls (whatever amount) we have different varying results from very good to real poor yet the club length never changed.

I think most can see what Im getting at. We can and actually do swing the same length club/s (if you think of each one individually) over an over and over yet still are inconsistent from very good to very poor with that same club because our swing is an issue. So in that sense, one length irons are not going to help.
That being said I do still see the ideology and would never imply they wouldn't help anyone.
If one is at a range and works their way through their set of irons hitting multiple balls with one then moving to the next and finds that evetime they switch to the next length iron they end up hitting a few bad ones before hitting good ones then this is imo perhaps where the one length helps most and just may work for a lot of us. But if the inconsistent swings come and go and are not specifically tied to the changing of club length then I have to assume they wont offer much help at all to that player. So I can see it possibly working for some and not at all for others.

None the less, nice posts and nice efforts doing this looking forward to hearing more from the OP about his experiment.

Last edited:
Well, another day and another round of golf played with the OL irons. Today I used them in a 4 man shamble during my home course's Turkey Shoot. I won't bore anyone with a full hole to hole recount, but I will go over the holes the OL's were used.

Hole 3) Par 4 playing 124 yards. Hit pitching wedge that ended up about 15 yards short. This again will be the theme of my new experiences with the One Lengths, coming up short on typical shots.

Hole 6) had 139 to a blue flag in which a bunker on the left side of the green needed to be carried to gain the best angle to the hole. I pulled a nine iron and decided I was going to go directly over the bunker. Hit the shot I wanted, to about 135 and 12 feet short of the hole. Was very happy with the way this shot was executed. Had spot on height and while the carry was a little short of the intent, it was still within reason.

Hole 8) had about 120 left with a front, red pin. I took pitching wedge and completely chunked it. I was a little too pumped after hitting a REALLY good drive that I just crapped the bed on the approach.

Hole 9) had around 165 to a very deep blue pin. Pulled the 7 iron and must not of gotten over the horrible shot on 8 as I proceeded to hit worm burner over the green. Managed to save par, but that was uuuggglllyy.

Hole 10) with around 105 yards left I pulled the dreaded GW and hit a 100 yard shot that left me a birdie putt that I ended up making. Again, the result of the shot was a little short but very straight.

Hole 12) was left with 110 yards and was in between clubs. Decided I would go back to the GW and give it a rip. Stuck the ball well, again very straight but a bit short. Had around 20 feet for my birdie putt so I got around 102 with the GW. Definitely think it's the shafts and the extra weight that I am trying to get used to .

Hole 13) was par 3 playing at 156. Went with 7 iron and hit a good shot that was pushed a bit but still reached the green and about 15-18 feet right. I like GIR's. Shot was clean and pretty well struck.

Hole 16) Par 3 playing 118. Pulled PW and got another GIR that came up short. Was left with about 16-18 feet for birdie. This shot had a touch of draw on it which is the first shot I can remember that any type of movement on it. While I do think they are very payable once comfortable with, I am not sure if a true shot maker is going to love playing these.

So after my second round I found myself not quite so freaked out about the length of the clubs. Although I did have to lift up the club after addressing a ball to verify I had pulled the correct club for that particular shot a couple of times during the round. Even though I had a couple of bad mishits, I do feel myself getting more comfortable with these. I just need to realize, these are new clubs to me and will need some more time to get completely used to them. My swing is still a hot mess, but as I mentioned, I do like the number of GIR's I have gotten in the 2 rounds of use with the OL's. Proximity to the hole will continue to be a challenge until I get my distances figured out.

I have another round scheduled for tomorrow, so I am hoping to be able to get a bit of range time in before hand. Excited to get back out there and see if I can make some progress.

Nice read here. Take one more club today and see what happens. You are consistently short of the flag versus your Apex iron distance.

For your GW - do you normally execute any partial swing shots? One of my favorite shots is a 3/4 GW from about 100, and I am more comfy doing that than a full swing SW. I am curious if you could get comfy with OL executing such a partial swing shot. Technically, it’s a departure from the “same swing for every club” concept.

Great job with the updates and taking the forum along. It sounds like those 5 rounds will be done pretty quickly.

One of the things that helped me along my transition to OL, was a range visit in which I refused to look at the bottom of the club. I pulled the irons out and set them all on the ground and purposefully put them in no particular order. From there I took 5 swings with an iron and tried to guess what club it was while recording distance.

It helped me get over the omg my PW is 7 iron length and my 4 iron is too. All while helping me learn and record my distances with 0 expectations.

Not sure if you will have the chance to hit the range but it may help some.

Back