The One Length Challenge : My Journey

Fantastic follow up @time4tim and it seems the OL is really starting to come around. The GIR is huge and a 78 with a set of clubs you have barley used is amazing.

I have really enjoyed the process so far. I am typically the type of person that will try something with my golf game once and if I don’t like it, will usually toss it away. This is forcing me to actually look at my game a little differently and I am finding things I can work on and develop...I think and hope anyways.
I think you are doing a great job so far. I do think its possible that the shafts are contributing to your lack of distance possibly not as much speed but glad you are figuring it out.

I think you are doing a great job so far. I do think its possible that the shafts are contributing to your lack of distance possibly not as much speed but glad you are figuring it out.

I really do think it's the weight of the shafts. I think my body was so used to using the lighter Elevates in my Apex 19's that its just taking a while to get used to the difference. I have started noticing a gradual increase in the distances, as I have used the OL's.

It is the loft, so you see a lot more of the face at address. It is 100% mental, and knowing that doesn't make it any easier, at least in my experience.

Yeah me and the mental side of golf don't mix very well. It really seems like when I use the PW and GW, more than any club in the bag of these OL, I seem to want to come out of my swing a bit. I might be trying help it too much.

@time4tim I'm reading yesterday's update as hottie in yoga pants yadda yadda, yoga pants something something yoga pants. :D

Seriously, based on the increased GIR's you have noted as well as yesterday's score it appears that the OL irons are working fairly well. I'm interested in seeing if additional range time, especially with "unknown" clubs, will increase your distance consistency.

If you are really struggling with the GW check the ball position. I would imagine it should be the same with all the OL clubs but make sure it too far forward. The GW should be your friend.

Really great stuff here man. I dabbled in a ol experiment briefly and I don’t think I have it a fair shake. Plus my swing then was horrible haha. I think now I’d have a different outcome.

Yeah me and the mental side of golf don't mix very well. It really seems like when I use the PW and GW, more than any club in the bag of these OL, I seem to want to come out of my swing a bit. I might be trying help it too much.

One of the things that helped me was to me y’all call the clubs by their yardages. So I’d think to myself “this is my 115 yard 7iron” or similar. It’s sounds a bit silly, but it helped me take the same swing everytime.

I will say, after a day like today, it's going to be a lot harder than I thought.

This is terrible news. Stay the course my friend. Probably just a fluke. Easily overlooked. I still have faith.

This is terrible news. Stay the course my friend. Probably just a fluke. Easily overlooked. I still have faith.
You did see that Noelle confirmed that they’ve got headcovers for your Hybrid irons right? ???

This is an awesome thread and "test"! I have tried OL irons a couple of times and found the yardage gaps (mostly 6,5,4 irons) were just off. Very similar yardages. Can you tell us if you are seeing the same? I love the idea and "science" behind one-length irons but if a player cannot get substantial yardage differences in iron to iron, it just won't work.

Update for 11/24/2019

Went out for some range time and another round with the One Lengths. As I was warming up with my orange whip and in between taking glimpses at the hot brunette in yoga pants just down from me I noticed another golfer taking some wacks with his irons. I became fixated with his swing and how little effort it was taking him to hit some really nice shots. After a couple more glances at Miss Yoga(yes I am old but I still have a pulse...barley), I decided to give the OL's a whirl and began work on being a little more deliberate with my swings.

I started with about 6-8 PW swings and mainly focused on a slow takeaway and rotating through the shot to finish. After a couple of skied shots I began to get in a bit of a rhythm. I had used a range finder to scope some the markers on the range to get an idea on the distance I was getting. The PW was getting me right around 115 yards. Still a little short, but I could work with it. Moved to an 8 iron for another 12 balls and was getting right around 145. Minimum of about 140 and a max of 150. Definitely better than the first couple of days. Next I moved to about 8-10 swings with the 6 iron. I was only getting around 165 and a max of maybe 170-172. I hadn't been carry a six iron over the last few months with the Apex as it felt, well...too long sometimes(that's what she said!) I could definitely see myself using the OL six iron as it just feel so much better than a variable length version. The ball flight is a little lower than what I remember a variable 6 iron would be and the distance was just a little less, but I had more control. Finally I hit a dozen balls with my nemesis, the GW. As I mentioned before, I haven't had much success with any set version of a GW/AW. Half the time, I would just remove it from my bag and choke down on a PW. The session with the GW was not great. Still feel like I wanted to slide under it a bit and would really sky most of the shots. I would get anywhere from 90-105 yards with it. If I could somehow manage to get closer to the 105 mark I would consider using it more. Decided it was time to play 18!

I am not going to do a huge write up on the round, as It gets kind of repetitive and I really appreciate those of you that have been checking into this thread to see how things are going on this little experience/experiment. I will say, I had a really good day of golf. I had been driving the ball really well over the last couple of weeks and to have it continue today was great. Short game/putting was absolutely on point. Only 28 putts is always good in my book. 11/14 fairways was awesome. However, I did have 12/18 GIR. Which is probably close to double of what I average. I tend to be a guy that gets close to the green, chips it close and makes a put to save a par/bogey. The straight ball flight from the OL's have been huge. Yes I am still coming up a little short, but that is more to do with the swing. I see that now after my range session. Putting on an actual "good" swing will do wonders for your score, and I have finally noticed. Yeah, still a work in progress. Trust me, I keep reminding myself that all the time. However, can I say that MAYBE I am starting to see a glimmer of hope, a small spec of light is radiating into my subconsciousness. I am in the embryonic stages of OL, but I am beginning to see that MAYBE, one swing can and will work.

Not trying to get ahead of myself or jump to conclusions too soon. It's just nice to see a little work and grit finally manifest into some semblance of golf. On hole 2 I had 161 to the flag. I aimed a little too much to the right and put in the green side bunker. I was disappointed, but it felt like I had hit that one pretty well. When I got to the trap the ball splashed pin high. Distance was spot on for that one shot. Got up and down for par and all is good. I go to hole three, which was playing as a 125 yard par 3. Under struck the PW tee shot so bad that it was lucky to have traveled 100 yards. A chip and putt later and par is scored. I jump to hole nine were I had 168 left and pulled 7 iron just wanting to get to the center of the green on a deep positioned flag. I ended up a little short of center, but still on the green and two putts later I was in with par. I then head to twelve where this hole typically gives me fits because of a right dogleg. Hit a solid drive and had 156 left to the pin in a deep right position. I pull 7 iron and hit it deep left. Actually hit a draw, but I was stoked with the result. Two putt par. Hole 13 was a disaster, pulled a 7 iron over and left of the green with a 154 yard pin placement. Next thing I knew, it was a double bogey. Accidents happen, stuck well but pulled badly. Hole 14 had...guess it...105 to the flag. Time for Mr. GW. OH NO! Hit to pin high, right side of the green, barely missed the putt for the bird. Ended up with par, I 'll take it. Hole 16 was a 110 par 3, little in between clubs for me so I went GW. Under hit it a bit, but on the green. Sunk the birdie putt, third of the day. Last hole, 18 was well...one of those that you can only laugh about. As I mentioned earlier, I played really well today. So well, that with a par I WOULD have shot 75. Best score in over a year. My game is such that when things are going good I will shoot in the low 80's. I have shot in the 70's maybe less than the digits on two hands total. I can score very high also. Last couple of months I have had a few rounds in the low 90's. So I never know what I am going to do. However I HAD 75 staring back at me on 18. It was playing as a 460 yard par 4. Hit my drive to where I had 163 left. Took out 7 iron, figuring at worst I hit it 140 and I am still on the green. As I was taking the club back, the thought of a SHANK for some strange reason came into my head and on the downswing I figured I needed to do whatever I could to make sure I DID NOT shank it. So I hit the biggest pull I think I have ever hit in my life with an iron. It was probably 50 yards left of the green and barley in bounds in the weeds. Had to take a drop, proceeded to hit it into a green side bunker, blast out and two putt for a killer seven and finish with a 78. All I could do is smile and laugh. I couldn't be mad. I played too damn well to be upset.

I don't want anyone to think that decision has already been made, because it hasn't. I am still learning the nuances of using OL and I still have a ways to go and a lot of work. Getting rid of an old habit(variable irons) is not easy and maybe in the long run isn't worth losing. I still have more range time and a couple of rounds before I make a decision. I will say, after a day like today, it's going to be a lot harder than I thought.

Well done Tim on that fantastic score with the new clubs! Looks like you may finally have a keeper!

This is an awesome thread and "test"! I have tried OL irons a couple of times and found the yardage gaps (mostly 6,5,4 irons) were just off. Very similar yardages. Can you tell us if you are seeing the same? I love the idea and "science" behind one-length irons but if a player cannot get substantial yardage differences in iron to iron, it just won't work.

I'm not doing the challenge, but have personally not experienced any issues in gapping. My distances and gapping were similar to what I've experienced with VL clubs.

Common with older OL sets (namely F7s), but that's not an issue with the F9s.

Had another range session and a round today. Weather was pretty crappy, as it only got to about 46* for a high at the time I played. I hate playing in layers as I am a shorts and polo guy and I feel like I am in a straight jacket when wearing one....a jacket that is. Got in some decent range work. The course I play at has an all turf range. So while I do not have to worry about mats, I do have to occasionally hit off some soggy grass. Conditions were fair, and had to be careful of the "chunk" shot once in a while.

Started with a few gap wedge shots. I still feel like I am sort of sliding under them just a tad. The distance seems to be getting pretty consistent. Right around 100-105 yards. I could usually count on 105 being my low end of the Apex's and around 110 being the norm. I have no problem getting these shot plenty of air. Moved on to the pitching wedge, again no problem with height on these. Distance was been around 110 to 115. I have pushed 120 or more only a couple of times. Nine iron has been one of the closest to an Apex club as I have found so far. Been using it for shots 125 to 135, and getting the max out of it has been getting easier and easier. The eight was typically my 145-150 club, and with the OL's, I am only a couple yards off. Been seeing myself getting a lot closer to the 140-145 mark. Seven iron, as expected is pretty spot on with the Apex's. When I was swinging my best with them, I could get out to 165 yards with them but typically was very comfortable around 160. With the Cobras, I am seeing a lot of 150-155 and have had a few shots max out at 160 or just a bit more. The 5 and six irons give me a little more difficulty, as I had pretty much removed them from my bag. I love hybrids and will take my Callaway Big Bertha OS 5 hybrid (24*) and will usually play it from distances from 195 to 165 if needed. I have gotten pretty adapt to choking down to get my desired distance. With the 5 OL, I just don't feel comfortable with it, I have tried it and it just peters out at around 170 or so with a pretty flat trajectory for me. The six iron is pretty close to the five iron in distance. I have been seeing right around 165 all the way to almost 175. Again, the ball flight is more boring and not as high, but is serviceable. The one thing I will say is whatever I have given up on distance, I have gained on dispersion. All of my irons shot have been pretty darn straight expect for a couple that I have tugged. As I keep getting used to the distances, I can see myself really getting these dialed in as my GIR's have been phenomenal compared to the Apex. While I have yet to have a shot to say inside three feet with the OL's, I think it's coming as I continue to get used to them.

Went out and played 18 today. Again, it was pretty cold for this California boy, but as long as it's not freezing with a wind, I will make my way out to the course every-time. I took a motorized cart, instead of hoofing it with the push cart. I think it was a mistake. I had a hard time keeping my hands warm today. It effected my driving and to some extent, my hybrids. However, the irons were as straight as they have been all along. I went into this round not worrying about distance and it really helped in the iron play. I played most shots at a difference of ten yards due to the cold and it seemed to really help. So If I wanted to hit a 125 yard shot, instead of trying to muscle up a pitching wedge, I just took a normal nine iron and it worked fine. I did have one nine iron that I got out past 135, as I had 128 to a blue flag and over shot the green by over 10 yards.

Most iron shots today left me in front 1/3 of the green. Got a couple to pin high and only one long. I can deal with that. My putting is such that I am pretty much going to finish in two putts max. So when I can get on in two, it helps a lot. As I have been preaching about the OL's since I started playing with them, the GIR have been a difference maker for me. Yeah the height of my shots aren't as cool looking or quite as far, but they have been highly effective. It kind of reminds me of an old SNL skit(yeah I am dating myself)when Billy Crystal was a cast member. He would play a guy named Fernando, who was a knock of of Richardo Montalban(remember Mr Roarke from Fantasy Island....no...really....I can't be the only old fart around...how about Khan from Star Trek. Yes, the Bill Shatner Star Trek. Whew!)and his favorite thing to say was, "it's better to look good than to feel good". Yeah I can look good playing whatever irons, but to be able to feel good about my game and enjoy the results is what I really want. It's hard to argue with the results right now. Are they spot on, no...and maybe they never will be. However, they are giving me a glimmer of hope which is actually more than what I had coming into this.

Nice going Tim, in my dabbles with OL I found out exactly the same regarding the dispersion and that can easily save at least one penalty shot per round especially with the longer clubs.

For anyone interested Cobra is selling the Forged Tec Black OL for 799 / set and the F9 OL for 599 /set.

Nice going Tim, in my dabbles with OL I found out exactly the same regarding the dispersion and that can easily save at least one penalty shot per round especially with the longer clubs.

For anyone interested Cobra is selling the Forged Tec Black OL for 799 / set and the F9 OL for 599 /set.

I wonder if Budget Golf coupon that ends today can be stacked on that.

I wonder if Budget Golf coupon that ends today can be stacked on that.

Indeed it can, however they only seem to have the F9 and the older Forged One. Now that is a killer deal!

Great Post Tim. Just purchased a gently used set of F9 OL and received them today. Very pleased with the look and the bulkiness does not bother me. I have a skytrak in the garage and I went and gave them a swing or 30. I am finding out that it is crucial and yet very hard to hit in the 7 iron ball position for my brain. When I "forget" which iron I am hitting, it is 95% "pured" with a nice soft draw with plenty of distance. I can see (along with Tim) that this will be a process to get to know these. I will say though that there is an instant sense and feeling of comfort holding all 7 irons; creating confidence.
Keep it going Tim! Really enjoying this review!

I've really been enjoying these updates. The GIR numbers seem to be pretty impressive and a little surprising to me that you've seen those results almost right away. Keep up the good work!

Great updates so far! If the longer irons are giving you trouble with the OL, doesn't that defeat part of the purpose of a OL set? Any idea why you are hitting more greens with the rest of the set, which are essentially playing at a longer than normal length. Is it the one swing mentality, heavier shafts or just the F9 heads over the Apex?

Nice writeup Tim. I wonder if the path forward with OLs is to get into a hitting bay with a fitter and adjusting the loft of each iron until you are seeing proper distance gapping? I would think these may need a little more fine tuning than standard length clubs.

Nice writeup Tim. I wonder if the path forward with OLs is to get into a hitting bay with a fitter and adjusting the loft of each iron until you are seeing proper distance gapping? I would think these may need a little more fine tuning than standard length clubs.

I really think it’s getting swings. Was hopeful Tim would be mixing in some range time in between rounds, but he is 4 rounds in now. The good news is that he seems to be finding some good balance. Bad news is it’s really hard to hone a swing during a round.

I enjoyed reading about how @jlew2144 got dialed one.

I really think it’s getting swings. Was hopeful Tim would be mixing in some range time in between rounds, but he is 4 rounds in now. The good news is that he seems to be finding some good balance. Bad news is it’s really hard to hone a swing during a round.

I enjoyed reading about how @jlew2144 got dialed one.

How can I find his write up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back