CONTEST The One Length Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great podcast. @JB is very convincing! My opinion is that any golfer that is not a single digit handicap would benefit from one length. By removing many of the “variables” in golf, the game has to get exponentially easier. I am playing a set of hybrid irons right now to help me improve and get back on track. I was seriously looking at OL when I got back into golf last year. The mental issues I understand....people don’t like change. Everyone has an equilibrium point and they don’t like to venture out of it. But, after a few range sessions to get distances figured out, it would be a relief to stand over a 200 yard shot and have a “7i” in your hand! Confidence alone should lead to better scores. I also get at first that you would feel like you are going to hit the PW 165 yards, but that feeling should fade as you played more and became accustomed to the distances.

Here's why I'm going to win this bet. We are wagering that a regular golfer who currently uses a variable length set will a) try OL clubs for 5 rounds and b) will be able to make a judgement call that they're better golfers because of the switch.

Cobra Connect is an incredible value and measuring tool. I don't think anyone can make the switch after 5 rounds.

Why? You made the switch to your current clubs after one round or even before it.

I am totally intrigued by the one lengths. Will there be shaft options or are these pre-built?

Why? You made the switch to your current clubs after one round or even before it.

In my case I immediately saw a difference in feel and dispersion. For me, it was a no-brainer. I'm gambling on the implication that switching to OL is extreme enough that it will take someone more than 5 rounds to decide.

I would love to try the OL F9s, but stiff steel shafts are no bueno for me. Good luck to the selected Hacker!!

Here's why I'm going to win this bet. We are wagering that a regular golfer who currently uses a variable length set will a) try OL clubs for 5 rounds and b) will be able to make a judgement call that they're better golfers because of the switch.

Cobra Connect is an incredible value and measuring tool. I don't think anyone can make the switch after 5 rounds.
The golfer that would make the switch will be either 1-inconsistent with his iron play or 2-has genuine troubles hitting long irons and doesn’t want to switch to utility clubs or hybrids.

I agree with this. Hell most golfers make a switch after about 20 balls on a range.

There's no chance someone makes the switch to One Length.
Even though we all love golf here on THP, not everyone gets out and golfs on a weekly basis, or multiple times per week. For those that dont, I think OL has a potential to help them because they have less variables to account for while hitting irons. Get one setup and one swing right and it will help your game if you struggle with iron play.
I hit my 7i very well, long irons not so well (timing is off) and tend to pull short irons. Especially when fatigue kicks in. So 5-P in OL would be something to try out for a longer period of time. Maybe even 4-P, 4I could be my "driving iron". I train a lot (daily) but as a beginner I just need mileage on course.

I see a clear benefit in OL as for irons I would only need to get accustomed to one length (yeah), which makes my learning process a lot easier. Wedges are wedges, anything over 48* should be SL.

I've been meaning to book a fitting session at a local shop but end of season and all OL sets are sold out, not even demo clubs are available. Not sure if they are niche and not ordered in big bunches or are they so popular that they are sold out. They offered to order from manufacturer if I commit to purchase, err. Oh well, maybe next year.

I am totally intrigued by the one lengths. Will there be shaft options or are these pre-built?
Believe they said on the podcast they have KBS 90 Stiff shafts.

I believe they said they had the KBS Tour 90 in stiff flex.

For everyone saying that you need a few rounds to get used to the OL set up, I just wanted to point out that I scored my then personal best on the second round I played them. I was at Orange County National and hit 2 ranges sessions with one round in between. At the time I was a 24 HC. The adjustment period from VL to OL was "hey, I am going to pretend like I am swinging a 7 iron". Literally no adjustment, basically.

The issue most people perceive before they try this, and literally dozens of people have hit my OL set, is that people think they need to swing harder to get the 5 iron to fly a 5 iron distance because the club is shorter. Cobra and their very talented people have designed the F9s to do that work for you. Just swing the darn thing like a 7 iron and trust it.

But hey, they still sell cars with manual transmissions, right JB? ?

Very interesting discussion and podcast. I think many will be against the OL irons just on concept and as stated in the podcast, Adam has not hit the OL irons since the F7 generation. I think there is a bias against OL from many traditionalist players.

As per my signature, I have been using the OL F9 irons all year. Here are my thoughts using these type of irons.

I am a very data driven person. I try to have one swing and then copy that swing throughout all my irons. I have always been this type of person. So, the concept of having only one club length was very intriguing and natural to me. But, the whole concept only works if your shots or game has improved. Therefore, I need to look at my overall game from the time I started using the OL irons back in May for the first time at the Odyssey Event to today.

I have not seen my handicap improve with the OL irons, however, I have become much more confident with the 5 and 6 irons. I still hit poor shots with my longer irons (my OL F9 are 5i to AW), yet they are more consistent overall. My shorter irons have not had the gap issue you would think by having a longer shaft, but I do notice my control is not as strong on the 9i and PW as before. In fact, when looking at my numbers listed below my gaping is better with my OL irons versus my older variable set of irons. I don't know if that is due to the longer length shaft or just the way I am swinging. I generally know the OL sets are thought to be for higher handicap players and are considered game improvement irons. Yet, I firmly believe that a lower handicap player who can control their swing much better than I being a higher handicap player could see a strong improvement in control of their shots.

I am only showing the distances and for those that use Arccos know you get so much more data to dive into, so this challenge will be fun to see from the THPer chosen. I highly recommend many to enter this contest and especially if you are a lower handicap player.

My smart distance is never what I think my actual distance is. Arccos will open your eyes with that.

OL F9 irons: 2019
5i-171, 6i-155, 7i-143, 8i-135, 9i-126, PW-114, AW-103

Callaway OS XR: 2018
5i-158 (just never could hit consistently), 6i-160, 7i- 141, 8i-134, 9i-123, PW-109, AW-98

This is just distance, but I have found my dispersion and gaping to be a bit better on the OL F9 irons this year.

In my case I immediately saw a difference in feel and dispersion. For me, it was a no-brainer. I'm gambling on the implication that switching to OL is extreme enough that it will take someone more than 5 rounds to decide.
I can see this. A change that drastic would take some time to get comfortable with, and to figure out yardages and gapping. I think I'd have to set up on a launch monitor for a few sessions just working on gapping and adjustments for gapping.

Fire up the podcast listener : )

I keep hearing extreme and it's as if nobody plays a 7 iron or all of the sudden all of their clubs are 24"

I can see this. A change that drastic would take some time to get comfortable with, and to figure out yardages and gapping. I think I'd have to set up on a launch monitor for a few sessions just working on gapping and adjustments for gapping.

The yardages and gapping are similar to a variable set.
Im guessing you have not attempted this correct?

This was a really really fun listen. Entry below:

I am open to change, especially anything that might give me even the slightest improvement in my game, I currently have arccos and despite hitting 55% of my fairways, I only hit 25% of my greens. I play at least once a week, and living in the arid wasteland that California is soon becoming I will be able to get them in play regularly.

The yardages and gapping are similar to a variable set.
Im guessing you have not attempted this correct?
With one length? No sir. I have never tried them. I've rented my local clubfitter's bay a few times to work on gapping most of my variable length sets. But I have never had a 7i lengthed 5i in my hand. Well... except for a Rogue X 7i. ?

Well, stiff would not work for me, so no entry, but I can say that one length sounds very appealing because I struggle with consistency outside of my 9 through 7 irons.

I saw a guy on youtube several months back that kept his setup variable through the 7i but made a 4 through 6i to match the length of his 7i. Seems like another twist on the concept that might work well for some.

I don't own a OL set but I tested a set a while back and found the 5-7 irons killers, especially the 5. It took me several swings to get used to the 8-pw and it was looking like I was trending toward a better swing with them but had to return the clubs. I'm sure with some practice and a better swing the numbers for my high irons would really improve. Again the 5-7 are home runs.
Since my SS is nowhere near what it was, definitely looking for ways to improve my distance, OL is a good option.

Last edited:
Well, stiff would not work for me, so no entry, but I can say that one length sounds very appealing because I struggle with consistency outside of my 9 through 7 irons.

I saw a guy on youtube several months back that kept his setup variable through the 7i but made a 4 through 6i to match the length of his 7i. Seems like another twist on the concept that might work well for some.

You should definitely listen to the show. We talk about this quite a bit.

You should definitely listen to the show. We talk about this quite a bit.
Will do for sure. Despite this setup not working for me, I am VERY interested in the one lengths! Thanks for posting!

For my situation, it took me one range session to get acclimated and one more range session and a round to get my distances to where I was comfortable.

I saw distances and gapping that were eerily similar to my VL set I was fit for by the folks at Callaway. I've not found too many differences in the two sets, other than one is all the same length.

For everyone saying that you need a few rounds to get used to the OL set up, I just wanted to point out that I scored my then personal best on the second round I played them. I was at Orange County National and hit 2 ranges sessions with one round in between. At the time I was a 24 HC. The adjustment period from VL to OL was "hey, I am going to pretend like I am swinging a 7 iron". Literally no adjustment, basically.

The issue most people perceive before they try this, and literally dozens of people have hit my OL set, is that people think they need to swing harder to get the 5 iron to fly a 5 iron distance because the club is shorter. Cobra and their very talented people have designed the F9s to do that work for you. Just swing the darn thing like a 7 iron and trust it.

But hey, they still sell cars with manual transmissions, right JB? ?

heck yeah. The last time I played a OL set was when the F7 OL came out and I had them for review. I flew to Georgia and didn't have irons with me, got them from JB that Friday morning, and played 4 rounds of golf with them in 3 days on a course I had never seen and was just fine. I firmly believe the changes they have made since then will alleviate some of the issues I personally saw with them, but I kept them in the bag until late spring when another review set came in. I believe people overthink way too much in golf, and making this switch is something that I'd put in that category.

These have to take some getting used to. I can see the top part of the bag not taking that long to adjust to. But I struggle to think that a 37.5" long AW will be a quick transtion.

I have said and posted quite a few times that I am down with trying One Length. Heck, i would play it for a season to give it a full chance. It intrigues me to no end.
I had no idea about them being in play as far back as the 80's and Tommy Armour, interesting to stay the least. I would have to believe that it would take more than one round to figure out the total package. Above all as stated there have been improvements since the King F7's.
As JB stated there is much more to them than "slapping" the same length shaft in a bunch of heads , but using the CG weighting through the set with the progressive hosel length to achieve a similar ball flight through the set. Really like your idea of the wedges being all PW length. I love the "Play what you wanna Play" and the "Play the most for giving club you can stand to look at"; I laughed out loud. I always take a divot and absolutely look forward to the angle of attack.
Being able to take the time to figure out the distance for each club, I am all in on this. i prefer thin crust to deep dish, but i could definitely get into one length. And Bryson definitely moves the needle......
I would do it in a heart beat and here in north Texas, I can start the testing sooner than most, but i would also believe that i would play it for longer than 5 rounds. And with the using Cobra Connect, I would feel perfectly fine sharing my data. I have Instagram, Twitter and FB already to update everyone. My irons have KBS in them now for the most part, would be an easy change for me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back