We said goodbye to our nearly 15 year old champion a while ago, and have felt a bit of a hole in our lives. It's brought on a lot of links to petfinder and local shelters, including a visit today to a couple spots to see what dogs are around to rescue.

I miss my buddy, but I am definitely ready to bring another dog into our lives. That said, this process is SO emotionally draining for me - because we definitely have a limited grouping of viable dogs (small to medium, non-herding, medium or less energy, etc) because we have a five year old in the house - and because seeing dogs treated like garbage guts me every damn time.

Hoping it goes well. The dog we were absolutely falling in love with in pics was set for adoption, which is great to hear that dogs are getting adopted, but it kind of hit me harder than i thought it would. Was a beautiful little sheltie/manchester mix, and I wanted him BAD.
Sorry to hear about your buddy Dan, but glad to hear you’re ready to fill that hole! I remember how exhausting the process was for similar reasons. Hope you find a great fit for the family!

These guys have totally caved in the back of the couch. They refuse to sit anywhere else!
B3D094DB-07EA-4985-92D0-B3EDE0681759.jpeg

Anyone have experience with CBD and their dogs? I have a dog that since the passing of my other dog has become a bit anxious. Hoping it will calm her down a little bit. Thoughts and suggestions/recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Anyone have experience with CBD and their dogs? I have a dog that since the passing of my other dog has become a bit anxious. Hoping it will calm her down a little bit. Thoughts and suggestions/recommendations are greatly appreciated.
We tried using it with our last pup during thunderstorms. It certainly didn’t hurt. We’re seeing some effectiveness in one of our current pups with melatonin for anxiety in the crate. The other one is just a super anxious dog and she’s just on straight Prozac.

Going to meet another rescue dog tomorrow. The trainer we have used does a little bit of German Shepherd rescue work, only taking in dogs that pass her temperament evaluation, and that she has time to give a couple of weeks of training to. Well, she called us to let us know she has a young German Shepherd, about 1 1/2 years old, and 70 - 75 lbs. We haven't seen any pictures, but will go meet him tomorrow.

I don’t have experience with CBD , but we have used Lavender oil in the past. It works great to calm our dogs when necessary (July 4th). We rub just a little on the base of their necks. Good Luck.

One training class down, several more to go!

3A175E65-33EA-4038-A71E-E8560E348332.jpeg

So here's the next possible family member, he's a nice German Shepherd/Husky mix, 1 1/2 years old, and 70 - 75 lbs. He was taken in by one of the county shelters, and they called our trainer who does some very limited rescue work. She did a temperament evaluation on him, decided to take him in, and called us to see if we would be interested. We met him today, and said we would take him, but it will be a couple of weeks, as this trainer won't adopt a dog out until after she's had him for a couple of weeks of training. Of course this is great as far as we're concerned, she can work wonders on a dog , especially one that has been to at least some degree neglected.

Of course there has to be a catch, and the one here is that the original owner finally contacted the county shelter, a couple of weeks after the shelter picked him up running loose and chasing livestock, and the owner says she wants him back. They told her she would have to pay the Vet and boarding bills, to the tune of several hundred bucks, and she has until Monday to get him back. So, we are on hold until Monday, and really hope we can get him.

I didn't get very good pictures, didn't think about it until after he had been put back in the kennel, but here he is:

20210417_090559_capture.jpg20210417_140716.jpg

So here's the next possible family member, he's a nice German Shepherd/Husky mix, 1 1/2 years old, and 70 - 75 lbs. He was taken in by one of the county shelters, and they called our trainer who does some very limited rescue work. She did a temperament evaluation on him, decided to take him in, and called us to see if we would be interested. We met him today, and said we would take him, but it will be a couple of weeks, as this trainer won't adopt a dog out until after she's had him for a couple of weeks of training. Of course this is great as far as we're concerned, she can work wonders on a dog , especially one that has been to at least some degree neglected.

Of course there has to be a catch, and the one here is that the original owner finally contacted the county shelter, a couple of weeks after the shelter picked him up running loose and chasing livestock, and the owner says she wants him back. They told her she would have to pay the Vet and boarding bills, to the tune of several hundred bucks, and she has until Monday to get him back. So, we are on hold until Monday, and really hope we can get him.

I didn't get very good pictures, didn't think about it until after he had been put back in the kennel, but here he is:

View attachment 9003671View attachment 9003672
Good luck.

This MF-er got a hold of a gift for our friends kid, from inside his doggie jail!

20210416_180225.jpg

Guess he got tuckered out
20210418_173456.jpg

Faithfully on standby duty in case anyone needs him to eliminate an extra morsel food. He has a clear view of the table from a seated position.

IMG_0399.jpg

Took pups to meet a dog trainer. They both threw up on the way there. Training consultation was interesting, but didn’t realize we’d be looking at $1,900 for 6 sessions. Both dogs threw up on the way home and one pooped in the car. It was not a great night and we are likely still looking for a trainer and/or giving up significant free time to break some bad habits.

Arrow needs eye surgery. He has a tumor on his eyelid that’s irritating his eye so it has to be surgically removed. I’m really sad for him about this, and worried since he has some liver and kidney issues so anesthesia is not ideal, but the vet assured me it’s a super quick procedure and they will be extremely cautious with him and monitor him very closely.

Surgery is scheduled for a few weeks from now and in the meantime he needs ointment in both eyes twice a day. Which he does not like at all. Poor baby!!

Back